PDA

View Full Version : More new Pokemon games?

mr_pikachu
27th August 2005, 06:45 AM
While researching another Pokemon topic on Wikipedia, I came across a reference to a Pokemon game in development that I had never heard before. I'll link to it and give you the relevant content:

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Mysterious_Dungeon:

Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon Red Rescue Force and Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon Blue Rescue Force (Pokémon Fushigi no Dungeon in Japanese) are a matched pair of Pokémon games in development for the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS, respectively. These two games are being developed by Chunsoft and will be published by Nintendo. Currently, no release date has been set for Japanese or North American release.

These games, featuring the Pokémon characters, are in fact spiritual sequels to Chunsoft's Mysterious Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer and Torneko's Great Adventure series. As such, they are semi-turnbased dungeon crawls.

While little is currently known about these two games, what is known is that the Blue version of the game will be able to transfer information or unlock features by having the Blue version and Red version in a DS simultaneously.

As the skeptic I am, my first thought was that this was a hoax. The 20k+ results I received in a Yahoo search of "Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon", however, seem to suggest otherwise. Furthermore, I found news of other games that are apparently in development, as well. Check out this article from Pokemon UK:

From http://pkmn.co.uk/?viewnews=1123600246

[B]New DS Pokémon games revealed!
Reported on 9 of August 2005 by

The ever-brilliant Jelmer has sent us some scans and details on some new Pokémon games that have been revealed in the new issue of Japanese magazine CoroCoro. These arn't quite what we've all been wating for (Diamond and Pearl), although it's still exciting stuff!

Pokémon Puzzle

Looking at the screenshots on the scans, it looks like this will essentially be an updated DS version of Pokémon Puzzle Challenge- which you should remember from the Game Boy Color. If it is what we think it is, then blocks will fall from the sky, and you will have to rearrange them, by switching them with adjacent blocks, making groups. X of the same touching each other, and they dissappear. Like Tetris, sort of. Of course, it could be something completely different. The game is apparently split into a puzzle and adventure modes, and features "Over 380" Pokémon. Out in Japan on October 20th

Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon

This looks interesting- it's an RPG that comes in two flavours, like the regular Pokémon games. But there's a twist. The "Blue Rescue Team" version will be for the DS, and the "Red Rescue Team" version will be for the GBA. (If you havn't guessed, this all translated into "Engrish" from Japanese). Does this mean that Nintendo really are going for the "three consoles simultaneously" business plan? Or is it just designed for people who have a DS, and have handed the GBA down to a less game-savvy sister? Word is that these will be based on the Mysterious Dragon game(s?) by Chunsoft.

No word yet on how they'll link up - although DS software can access the GBA port. What will be the point? We don't know yet. If you know about the mysterious dragon series, why not post a comment outlining a bit about the games, so we can try and imagine what they'll be like?

I don't expect this will be an RPG like the ones that we are used to, given it's close proximity to Diamond/Pearl, and that it seems to be stealing ideas from another developer. I'll wager YOU a can of coke that there's more of a likelyhood of a Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers relaunch than seeing these games outside of Japan. They should be out in the winter, in Japan. (The Mysterious Dungeon games, not Chip 'n' Dale the rescue rangers.)

Pokémon Ranger

As previously reported, this is also for the DS. It's apparently an "Action RPG", that uses the touchscreen, and it will talk to Diamond and Pearl, whenever they are released. The player apparently erm... plays Pokémon, as opposed to a trainer, and are charged with the task of protecting a "beautiful environment"... the safari zone? (Surely that has a park ranger?). Extra points to Nintendo if in the USA release of the game, they include lots of references to the USA not signing up the Kyoto protocol and wrecking up the world a bit.

We'll have more news as we get it, but as for now, this is it, here is a picture of a school crossing patrol instead:

Long story short, either at least some of these games are coming out, or this is one incredible and extensive hoax someone pulled off.

Thoughts?

Razola
28th August 2005, 11:29 PM
Most of these sound gimmicky like Pokemon Dash. I've...really lost a lot of faith in the franchise. Pearl/Diamond had better be spectacular.

SoulflameNinetales
29th August 2005, 11:35 PM
Sounds like you gonna end up very disappionted, Razola.

Anyway, most of them sound at least a litttle cruddy. However, I believe that at least most are not hoaxs. Funny, me saying that, since i've been fooled by hoaxes many times before...

Personally, i like the idea of Pokemon games that don't exactly follow the "I'm training to be a Pokemon Master." format. It is sometimes a little tiresome.

However, I haven't really liked earlier attempts. They need something more original.

mr_pikachu
29th August 2005, 11:56 PM
While the point about some Pokemon games being gimmicks is certainly valid (Pokemon mini, for instance), I'm not sure I agree with Dash being portrayed in that light. Super Mario Kart for the Super Nintendo could have been considered a gimmick, as there had never been a game like that in the Super Mario series. Since then we've had Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart Advance (or something like that; I'm not certain on the name), Mario Kart: Double Dash, and probably more to come. The original was a huge hit, and the others had substantial successes of their own. That sort of outside the box thinking can either lead to a tremendous boon or a crash-and-burn. We'll just have to wait and see.

rinku
30th August 2005, 06:02 PM
Reports of all these games have been around for awhile - all have been reported in CoroCoro with screenshots, so are unlikely to be hoaxes.

As far as I can tell, none are being developed by Game Freak, so they are unlikely to have any major impact on the development and release of Diamond/Pearl. My guess is that they're either side projects that were in the works anyway (like Colosseum) or fillers that have been rushed in to keep the franchise ticking over (like Channel).

I'd also heard that the two versions of Mysterious Dungeon (DS and GBA) are designed to link together by being both plugged into a DS at the same time. An interesting approach, and certainly a better one than requiring some new linking device to be purchased.

The simplest explanation for the new games is that they've been timed to head off the next wave of PSP releases.

Razola
1st September 2005, 10:07 PM
While the point about some Pokemon games being gimmicks is certainly valid (Pokemon mini, for instance), I'm not sure I agree with Dash being portrayed in that light. Super Mario Kart for the Super Nintendo could have been considered a gimmick, as there had never been a game like that in the Super Mario series. Since then we've had Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart Advance (or something like that; I'm not certain on the name), Mario Kart: Double Dash, and probably more to come. The original was a huge hit, and the others had substantial successes of their own. That sort of outside the box thinking can either lead to a tremendous boon or a crash-and-burn. We'll just have to wait and see.
No, when I say "negative" I don't mean "zomg Pokemon in a different genre!" Pokemon Pinball and Puzzle League proved that you can put the critters in any game and it'll be decent. Shit, Pokemon Snap actually was a solid enough title, it just wasn't meaty enough to be worth anything beyond a rental.

The problem with Dash, from what I read, is that it lacked the depth of Mario Kart. Mario Kart is beautiful chaos, an utter blast for multiplayer. Dash seemed very limited from what I read. It just wasn't fun.

Piff man
4th October 2005, 07:55 PM
I can't wait until another pokemon version comes out!

KaleeyJ
5th October 2005, 09:05 AM
I can see the Dungeon games being interesting - it sounds like Pokemon with a dash of The Legend of Zelda. And Piff man is on the money about Dash - there wasn't enough depth in there. My concern is that with so many Pokemon games going out there, the quality will decrease as the quantity increases.

The main focus is still D/P. Notice how everything has been kept under wraps for ages, etc. And Game Freak is not behind most of these new games coming out. It sounds like the Big N is trying to keep interest up in the franchise to compete with Sony until D/P is released, which will probably sail off the shelves.

I hope they start changing the format in the games a little. Emerald having two evil teams was a nice break, with plenty to keep you busy besides 8 badges and a Hall of Fame. Most of all, I'd like to see a bigger map. I loved GSC best of the entire franchise because we travelled through 2 different regions. We need more terrain changes. I want to see some snowy winter lands, more weather, and the night/day graphic implementation too.

I don't mind the new games coming out - Nintendo is just trying to bring in more people to the actual Game Freak games. But I hope they give it a rest once D/P is out, at least for a while. Unless they come out with a GSC remake. Then BRING IT ON, BABY!!!

Piff man
5th October 2005, 09:25 AM
KaleeyJ has it all. Gamefreak never gives up trying to make pokemon a better place. In fact, there's probably going to be a thunder yellow! :keke: :keke: :keke:

mr_pikachu
7th October 2005, 05:00 PM
Okay, I have the release dates for the Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon Games.

The Wikipedia article is here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Mysterious_Dungeon), but the only new information is the release date. It'll be November 17th of this year in Japan, and it's slated for sometime in 2006 for North America and Europe.

EDIT: I found some screenshots of the new games here (http://pkmn.co.uk/?viewnews=1124790188), on Pokemon UK.

EDIT2: I just got a really small piece of new info that was far too little to justify a new post. Apparently, the Mysterious Dungeon Games will feature new items, such as the Explosive Seed and the Golem Stone.

Yeah. Not a lot of info. Too bad.

EDIT3: More information, this time for Pokemon Torouze (previously referred to as Pokemon Puzzle) can be found here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Torouze) on Wikipedia.

The gameplay looks to be similar to that of the previous Pokemon puzzle games for the N64 and GBC, but with a variety of Pokemon on the blocks rather than different colored blocks. Blocks apparently disappear when four of a matching Pokemon are in a row, and they can be swapped using the stylus on the DS. There are also Torouze Chance icons. When they pop up, matches of two or three blocks in a row are accepted, as well as odder combinations such as L or T shaped rows of matches.

The story mode centers around Lucy Lightfoot, who is a member of the SOL (Secret Operations League). This organization is at odds with the Phobus Army. The SOL is represented by the Solrock symbol, while a Lunatone symbolizes the Phobus Army. Lucy has to win games of Torouze to defeat the generals of the Phobus Army. She can also send her own Pokemon into the game to aid her. Lucy begins with only an Aipom and a Manectric, but she can get others later, including a Ditto.

This information was given in the October 2005 issue of Coro Coro magazine. Additionally, a video demonstrating the gameplay and showcasing a few of the characters (including Lucy herself) can be found here (http://www.pokemon.co.jp/game/ds/trose.html) on the official Japanese Pokemon website.

Here's a picture of Lucy:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/Lucy_Lightfoot.gif

Pokemon Torouze is set to be released on October 20th, 2005 in Japan.

Razola
14th October 2005, 02:23 AM
It's Tetris Attack with a pokemon theme.