PDA

View Full Version : In darkness and light

Silencer
28th August 2005, 02:52 PM
My attempt at a fanfic.

It's a spin-off(I think that's what you call it) of pokémonese with the user character I send in to Dark Sage.

I could use any comment and review. The first chapters will be not that intresting since I also want to focus on the history off the character and don't want to explain it in mid-story explaining why he does things.

I think I spend about 3 hours on this first chapter and didn't start on the second yet, so if you like this don't expect it to come to soon. I give it about 2 weeks unless I can spend a day on this project. I believe I should be able to make 2-3 chapters a day so...

Well have fun reading. I hope I'm not waisting your time.

Let the story commence

Silencer
28th August 2005, 02:52 PM
Prologue

My name is Drake. I am not aware of my last name. That’s because my parents left me on the streets at the age of five. I don’t know why they did this. They might be poor or where in a shady business that they wanted to spare me for. I’ll never know for sure, until I can find them. Then there’s another thing. I don’t know if they are still alive or not.

One thing I do know for certain is that in my young life I have experienced a lot. I lived on the street for half a year. After that I was taking in by a man of infinite kindness. This man was old but wise and taught me everything I needed to know to keep myself from danger. Soon after my master passed away I began my journey in the wild. Just as any other boy or girl of my age I took interest in training creatures called pokémon.

When things were starting to be looking up for me I was contacted by a fiendish pokémon who tempted me into joining their underground organisation. A year I had stood up with the jobs they gave me, these jobs had nothing to do with my skills as a trainer. But one job went to far and I decided to leave this group. Now I am teamed up with a guy that could well be their greatest nemesis. I have vowed to have my revenge for everything that this organisation put me through.

And to pay for the crimes I committed.

Chapter 1: The old master

My first memory. Not really a pleasant one and not a good one. All I remember was that it was dark. It wasn’t exactly a cold night but still I was shivering. I threw of the newspapers that served as a blanket to me. I stood up of the cardboard that was my bed and rushed to the nearest container. I quickly looked around and when I didn’t notice anyone I opened the large, green garbagecan. I made a small jump so I could look over the sides. I took out the plastic bag I put in there this afternoon. Opening it I saw my spoils of the market three days ago. I took out what was left of the bread and quickly stuffed it under my grey, torn T-shirt and ran back to the cardboard I was on just 2 minutes ago. There I sat, in a dark alley. Tucked away between a garbage can and a stack of boxes.

My life in Goldenrod city was hard and some days I just prayed that death would take my away from my grim reality, but it never did. Now you might be surprised when I mentioned Goldenrod City. Most people are. When they think about Goldenrod City, they think about big skyscrapers, nicely lay down pavement, shopping malls and a lot of shops. A town where everyone is happy and people are kind and helpful. This is true for a part of the city. The part that pokémon trainers and tourists see. Hidden to the west, behind the skyscrapers, is a place of poverty. The so called ghetto. Nobody actually knows about this place except for his inhabitants or people that have ventured away from the center of town.

Anyway, here people aren’t surprised when they see a 5-year old in the darkest of alleys, eating whatever he can find in the garbage. Heck, they would even be surprised if every ten alleys they wouldn’t see someone.

/*****\

As I was eating the little bread I had, I heard a noise. A lid of a garbage can was thrown to the ground with a clang. Slowly I stuck my head out of my shelter and saw 3 grown man, searching through the garbage. I pulled back as soon as I saw them but it was to late.

“Hey, who’s there!” One of the men shouted.

“What’s going on Luke?” asked another guy, this one clearly still with his head in the garbage can.

“There’s someone hiding, and I don’t like it when someone spies on us.” Luke replied “What do you think Herman?”

“Well I think we should see who is spying on us” The third guy, Herman said.

“Let’s go John”

John came out of the garbage can and focused on my hiding place. He followed Herman and Luke who where already advancing in my direction. I heard them coming closes and closer. Step by step. I looked down and saw the bread which was my evening meal. After seeing them searching through the garbage can I realised that if they caught me I would lose the last of my food.

I got up to my feet and ran as fast as I can. The three mans reaction was fast and ran after me. Before I could reach the end of the alley and could have made my escape one of the man jumped in front of me. Herman was wearing a red shirt ,which seemed pretty new, and a pair of jeans. His hair was filthy and seemed to be black. He had a beard that could have been cut with anything but a razor. When I turned around I also saw Luke and John. Both of them had blue shirts on, Luke’s was a little darker, and their beards and moustaches seemed to be shaven with the same tool Herman used.

“Well well, what do we have here.” Luke said laughing.

“It seems we got ourselves a little alley rat.” John continued with a smirk on his face.

“And what does our alley rat have in it’s hands.” This voice came from behind me and sounded like the person hadn’t spoken for over a week. “Hand it over squirt.”

I tried to escape but Luke and John quickly grabbed me by the shoulders, preventing me from moving the slightest bit.

“It seems like our little alley rat is scared.” Herman whispered putting his face closer and closer to mine. I could smell the stench of alcohol coming from his entire body.

Before I could even respond a fist knocked me out.

/*****\

When I woke up it was already late afternoon. My head seemed to be split apart. While I started to get up I was wondering why I had been lying on the pavement. Then everything came back and I remembered the stench of alcohol. I quickly ran towards the container and opened it. As I feared the little plastic bag was gone with all my supplies.

I started to wander the streets, hoping in better knowledge that I would find some food. To make it even worse I heard a thunder coming up. When I looked up the sky was dark and the first drops of rain came down. I looked around and saw a path with all kinds of statues next to it leading to an abandoned house with a porch. I rushed to the house and tried to open the door. I pulled with all my strength, I even pushed thinking I was opening it the wrong way, but the door wouldn’t budge. I examined the porch and found nothing that could warm me. As I was about to search in the streets again a the downpour started.

Well, seems I’ll have to stay here. I thought to myself

I curled up in front of the door trying to keep myself warm. Hours passed and I started to shiver again as the night came and temperatures dropped. I was banging with my back on the door. A pain started to surge through my back as it kept hitting the wood over and over. I tried to move but I was to exhausted to do anything else but breathe. The only thing I could do was wish for the pain to stop. And to my surprise it did. With my last strength I saw the a long white beard of an elderly man before everything went black for the second time in a short while.

/*****\

When I woke up I felt strange. I didn’t feel cold. Actually it felt quite nice. When I opened my eyes I saw a wall made out of wood. The wood was wet and seemed very old. When I looked to the other side I was shocked. Something was looking straight at me with red eyes. When I started focussing on the creature some more my fear grew bigger. Apart from the red eyes it’s body was almost completely black. It was about 3 feet high and one of her ears was big and red. It also had 3 tails in the same colour as it’s larger ear. The creature had huge claws and nails compared to it’s body and between its eyes was something that seemed like a jewel.

“SNEASEL!” the creature screamed.

I backed away at this moment.

“Did Hattori scare you my boy?” An old voice behind me asked.

As I turned around a man entered the room. The first thing I noticed was the long, white beard that I saw for I passed out.

“You have been asleep for about 16 hours now. We were worried about you. I was about to call the hospital.” The old man said with a large smile on his face.

His voice seemed to have a Japanese accent in it. When he smiled I could see laugh wrinkles around his eyes, something I would always enjoy seeing. His eyes was the only thing you could see because of his beard and moustache, that I only noticed now, that went down to his chest. His hair come until the same height as his beard. He was wearing what seemed to be a blue coloured poncho with white signs and creatures on them. He was wearing pants in the same colour and the little bit of white socks you saw immediately disappeared in his black strange black shoes that I would know as a tabbi.

“We are glad to see that you are awake. At the end of your bed there is some food for you.”

At this I immediately rushed to the end of the bed and saw a bowl of rice.

“You better eat it fast or Hattori eats it.”

I quickly caught a glimpse of the black creature and saw it going in the direction of the bowl. As fast as I could I grabbed the bowl and ate the content it as fast as possible. Meanwhile the creature just strode by and went into the next room.

“Ow don’t be silly boy. Hattori never eats anything besides its special pokémon food.” The old man grinned.

I gave him a strange look and could hardly bring out the word. “pokémon?”

“Yes my boy, pokémon. Don’t you know about pokémon?”

I shook my head at this.

“Well, I’ll explain as much as I know about them that I know off, but first let me get you something to drink.”

The man went back the way he came in and disappeared from my sight.

I went to sit on the bed and looked around the room some more. The entire room seemed to be made out of wood. Tables, chairs, closets, the floor, every piece of furniture was made out of wood. I saw large supporting beams against the walls and here and there in the room. They all seemed to be wet. This didn’t give me that good of a feeling.

Pokémon?, I thought to myself, What in the name of god is a pokémon? That thing looked very vicious to only be used as a pet. I wonder why people keep them.

/*****\

“Here, drink this my boy. It should help to relax your voice so that you will be able to speak a little better.” The old man smiled while he handed me the platter. “Be careful it’s hot.”

I took the cup of the platter and drink a bit. I quickly set the cup back as my entire inside seemed to be on fire.

“I told you to be careful. Ow my, I even haven’t introduced myself. My name is Norio. I used to be a mediocre pokémon trainer. But my real skill would be that I mastered the art of Ninjitsu. But tell me what is your name?”

“I don’t kno…know sir”, I said with a lot of trouble, “I thi…think my parents call…called me Drake. It’s the o…only thing I remember the…them saying to me.”

I again drank a bit out of the cup. Again my inside seemed to burn but not as hard as before.

“Ow yes your parents. We should contact them. Where do they live? Do they have a phone number?” he asked me as he sat down besides me

“I’m sorry… sir, I don…don’t know.” I still had trouble speaking so I took another sip of the drink, blowing first this time.

The eyes of the man fell to the ground. “I see, tell me boy where do YOU live?”

“I don’t rea…really live anywhere sir. But I guess I spend mo…most of my time on West Boulevard.” My voice seemed to be getting better.

“Well then. I suggest you will live here from now on.” Norio announced. “That wouldn’t trouble you, right?”

I quickly shook my head again and Norio smiled.

“Now what was I going to tell you again?” Norio asked with half a smile behind his beard.

“You were going to tell me about pokémon sir.”

“A yes, pokémon, magical creatures. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.”, Norio started, “You see Drake Hattori is what people call a Sneasel. It is one kind of pokémon. As far as people know there are 386 different species of pokémon.”

“386?” I was shocked.

“Yes 386,” Norio grinned, “Every specie is different from the other. They differ in appearance, skills, size and weight. They also differ in type.”

“Type?” I was starting to think I had to be the dumbest person on earth.

“Yes Drake, type. Man knows 17 different types. The known types are Normal, Flying, Bug, Fire, Water, Grass, Poison, Electric, Rock, Ground, Ice, Psychic, Ghost, Dark, Dragon, Fighting and Steel. Every type has an advantage over the other. For example Fire will burn Grass, Grass will drain Water and Water will extinguish Fire. No type is superior to all others. Everything has a weakness. Trainers, people who capture pokémon and raise them as good they can,” he explained looking at my face, “try to capture as much pokémon as possible to expel a type weakness in their teams. Can you still follow?”

“I think so,” I answered the man, my voice seemed to be completely restored at this point, “there are 386 different pokémon, each belong to 1 type. Trainers try to capture as much pokémon as possible so that their team is as strong possible.”

“That’s right, do you have any questions so far?”

“Well, what do trainers do with the pokémon they capture?”

“Good you asked. They will battle each other. They go toe to toe with each other to see who is better and hopefully become a regional champion.”

“Champions?” I got more confused as Norio explained more and more

“Yes champions, the best of there regions. We are in the Region called Johto and have to Johto League. To be able to enter this champion trainers are put to test in gyms. Gyms concentrate on training pokémon that have some sort of connection. Most of the time this means that they raise one type, but they may also train something else like, for instance, reptile pokémon.”

My expression showed him that I was completely lost.

“Tell you what, tomorrow we’ll go to the pokémon center and meet some trainers. They will probably be eager to teach you what they know. Goldenrod even has a gym and all gym leaders have volunteered to teach young trainers or other people all they know about pokémon.”

“Thank you sir.”

“Please call me Norio”

“OK, I will. O, sir Norio what type is Hattori?”

“Hattori? He’s a Dark/Ice hybrid. Hybrids are pokémon which belong to 2 different types. But it’s about time Hattori can rest. He’s getting pretty old. I wouldn’t want him to battle although he is quite in shape.”

Norio took out a very small ball. With a press on a small button the ball grew in shape. The upper half of the ball was red. The bottom was white. A black line with a white button on it separated the 2 parts.

“A pokéball,” Norio explained “it’s used to capture and hold pokémon. Follow me, I’ll show you.”

Norio stepped up from the bed and slowly walked to the room Sneasel walked it. I also got up but felt a little dizzy. I grabbed hold of the bed as sports of all colours seemed to fly across my eyes. Norio turned around and ran up to me to support me.

“Easy boy. You where really exhausted. You shouldn’t strain yourself.”

When I looked up and the spots where gone I saw a worried expression on Norio’s face.

“I’m fine sir.” I explained. I didn’t want to worry the man

“I told you, call me Norio.”

When Norio made sure I was fine we walked in the room where Sneasel was and to my suprice, he was jumping up against the walls, doing summersaults and all kinds of athletic moves.

“Hattori, how many times do I have to tell you. You shoudn’t strain yourself. It’s time for your rest.”

Norio took out the ball and pointed the stump that was the button towards Hattori. Suddenly a beam of red light shot out of it and hit the pokémon. Then Hattori himself got surrounded by the light and turned completely red. Then the light withdrew into the ball and Hattori was gone.

“Quite impressive if you watch it the first time, but you’ll get used to it. Follow me, we’ll have something to eat before we’ll go to sleep.”

“But sir Norio, I just slept for 16 hours. I’m not tired. Please tell me more about pokémon”

“I will, tommorow! Don’t be impatient.”

Dinner was quiet. I was pondering over all the things I have learned in such a short while. I didn’t even notice when I was lying in my bed. I didn’t even notice I fell asleep.

Next chapter Drake will learn all there is to know about pokémon and maybe a lot more.

Please review this as this is the first chapter of which I hope to be a long series. I can take any advice. Oh and please don’t be to hard on my vocabulary. I’m not American or English so it’s hard for me to think of the right words sometimes.