PDA

View Full Version : Revolution Controller Revealed

Roy Karrde
15th September 2005, 09:47 PM
A few minutes ago Iwata showed off the Revolution controller. IGN and other game places should have pictures up in the next few minutes. Yet at this time here is what they are saying. The controller has a glossy white design; it looks inspired by the Ipod,; the controller is held in one hand, other attachments in the other; Attachments will attach to the bottom of the controller; the controller acts like a computer mouse in the air; the Revolution can sence what direction the controller is moving. I'll update this topic with screen shots from IGN and everywhere else when they become available.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/651/651275/hands-on-the-revolution-controller-20050915054930644-000.jpg

kurai
15th September 2005, 09:48 PM
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/1734/media5fo.jpg
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782

Legends-Kuja
15th September 2005, 11:06 PM
First impression: DUDE, it's a friggin REMOTE.

Second impression: I'm impressed, but I gotta wonder if I'll get used to it, or how games like Super Smash Bros Revolution will be played. On a lighter note it looks rather sleek. I'm worried stupid gamers will ignore it and go back to playing generic shooter 563.

Third impression, AKA fanboy/idiot ideas: METROID PRIME/HALO CROSSOVER FOR TEH WIN

CHANNEL SURFING GAME, CHANNEL SURFING GAME!

PNT510
15th September 2005, 11:08 PM
[b]Well it certainly looks interesting. If any company can make a compelling game with it, Nintendo can.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
16th September 2005, 03:16 AM
Hm, looks revolutionary ... but I wonder if the way the placed the buttons on that ... remote ... is suitable for games that need many buttons to be pressed simulatenously.

And isn't holding a controller with only one hand making it lame or at least hurt after a while? I mean take your TV remote and hold it for two hours, pressing buttons all the time, that just can't feel good.

Oh well, let's wait and see.

Crazy
16th September 2005, 04:08 AM
Whoa,and I thought the rumors of a touch screen controls were true. That is a very strange controller. It does look like a remote. :eek:

Heald
16th September 2005, 10:22 AM
Oh dear oh dear.

SNES Controller - Decent.

N64 - Inspired Genius; the best controller ever made

Gamecube - Average; could be worse

Revolution - WTF!

Seriously, it looks like an iPod shuffle. I sincerely hope this is a joke otherwise Nintendo can kiss their asses goodbye.

Legends-Kuja
16th September 2005, 11:17 AM

The fact that you ranked the N64 above the Gamecube controller speaks volumes about your taste in controllers.

I don't see any potential of channel surfing games in the N64 controller. :p :rolleyes:

kainashi
16th September 2005, 01:18 PM
i heard they're making cooking/fishing games. if so, i'm sold right there.

i won't say anything about the controller until i actually use it. it will either suck really bad or be totally awesome. :cool2:

Jeff
16th September 2005, 02:07 PM
More news on the controller (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60917)

I feel a little better knowing that there will be an attachment for more traditional control, but this still seems a bit strange. On the other hand everyone had plenty of doubts about the DS when it was first announced, until we got to see it and try it out ourselves.

Adz44
16th September 2005, 05:15 PM
I'm quite impressed. After seeing the demo video, I think it has a lot of potential. All Nintendo needs are the games.

I like the idea of using one controller to shoot and another as a flashlight in an FPS game. Come to think of it, Silent Hill also springs to mind... The slashing with the sword looks cool, too.

Tainted
16th September 2005, 06:54 PM
On first glance I told myself that it looked like absolute shit. There seems to be a minimal amount of buttons, and using it seems like it would be wonky. Now, I'm a Nintendo fanboy for the most part so I have faith that it only LOOKS bad and that once it's in my hands it'll be good.

Nintendo'll make it work.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

Arnen
16th September 2005, 07:17 PM
..... There's no way I can sit for hours at a time holding THAT. It's an ergonomic (or whatever the word is for how well it fits your hand) disastor! The fact that the joystick is a seperate attachment hints that it will be used less often, which to me is a nightmare. The only positive thing I can think to say at the moment is that the power button on the controller seems like a good idea, though it might prove to be more of a hindrance, what with it being pushed on accident, as with the DS.

Shadow Djinn
16th September 2005, 08:03 PM
Seeing as SSBM is going to be released for Revolution, I don't know how that'll work. >_>

Heald
17th September 2005, 03:54 AM
The fact that you ranked the N64 above the Gamecube controller speaks volumes about your taste in controllers.The N64 controller was sublime. The Gamecube controller felt like I was playing with mittens on. Which means the N64 controller is the better one. Dipshit.

FTorchicX
17th September 2005, 10:23 AM
Well, it certainly does look interesting, but I am doubful on how comfortable it is. Of course I have faith in Nintendo, and am hoping that this is like the DS; looks farfetched at first glance, but actually turns out to be an interesting creation.

Razola
18th September 2005, 04:47 AM
The N64 controller was sublime. The Gamecube controller felt like I was playing with mittens on. Which means the N64 controller is the better one. Dipshit.
All I miss about the N64 controller is the Z button being placed somewhere logical. Other than that it was meh.

FOUR BUTTONS DO NOT EQUAL DUAL ANALOG IDIOT.

Dark Scizor
18th September 2005, 07:50 AM
Oh dear oh dear.

SNES Controller - Decent.

Revolution - WTF!

I wouldn't quite say the GC controller was average, but that's me. I agree with everything else though (upto a certain extent).

The Revo controller though, I don't like how things are going. I see a lot of people being put off solely on the basis that the controller looks wierd, and if people can't use them as soon as they pick it up, they're going to give up, sell their Revo's and watch Nintendo burn.

Razola
19th September 2005, 02:25 PM
I wouldn't quite say the GC controller was average, but that's me. I agree with everything else though (upto a certain extent).

The Revo controller though, I don't like how things are going. I see a lot of people being put off solely on the basis that the controller looks wierd, and if people can't use them as soon as they pick it up, they're going to give up, sell their Revo's and watch Nintendo burn.
Hi, my name is Gameboy!

Hi, my name is Nintendo DS!

Together, we're Nintendo's revenue!

I like to think of the handhelds as providing the funds necessary for Nintendo to perform their console experiments. You are all being too dramatic. Since when are Revolutions ever done without fear and hostility?

classy_cat18
19th September 2005, 02:44 PM
This is how the controller's going to work for me:

1st day: How am I supposed to work this?
3rd day: Okay, getting the hang of this...
2nd week: (to brother) Ha! Kicking your ass!

The thing about Nintendo controllers is that no matter how complicated and confusing they look, they're all about intuitive control. Even without the shell people will strangely get used to this before they know it.

Mewfour
19th September 2005, 03:15 PM
Honestly, I have no idea what to think.

One side of me thinks that, hey, if anyone can make this work, it's definetley Nintendo. The tilt/motion sensor could really be a plus.

The other side of me thinks.... it's a fuckin' remote!

Crazy
19th September 2005, 03:17 PM
I don't see why people are so reluctant to have a new way to control things. I think that it's good that someone is finally trying to put some originality into a controller.

GreenShirT
20th September 2005, 10:24 AM
I myself think it is going to rock something amazing like!!
I am really looking forward to a swordfighting type game and playing an FPS with it. BRING IT ONNN!!!!!

Heald
20th September 2005, 12:21 PM
I experimented with an N64 controller in the left hand (analogue stick + z button) and a TV remote in the other hand.

I really don't see it working at all.

Razola
21st September 2005, 05:01 AM
I experimented with an N64 controller in the left hand (analogue stick + z button) and a TV remote in the other hand.

I really don't see it working at all.
Because the N64 controller isn't the exact weight of the Revolution Analog stick.

I mean, LOOKING at the two should have made it clear, but I guess you need help.

Blindy.

Heald
21st September 2005, 09:38 AM
I wasn't referring to the weight. Besides, that's pretty rich coming from someone who has an Xbox.

It's the whole 'two hands, two peripherals' that is the issue. With a PS2 controller, you only need your ring and little fingers on either hand to hold the controller with, leaving six digits to game with. This gives you two on the 'air mouse analogue' thing and only your thumb on the controller. Unless there are some hidden buttons on the controller, that only gives you a measly three digits to game with. Hell, the SNES controller let you play with four digits. This isn't so much a revolution as it is devolution.

Legends-Kuja
21st September 2005, 10:06 AM
^You raise a point, but then you forget that B button on the back. You also forget how to press two buttons with one digit... or is that too inconvient?

And there's also a traditional shell. Maybe you need to look up more about it. If there was no revolution, you'd probably bitch about that anyway, so this is nothing of concern.

Heald
21st September 2005, 10:46 AM
Okay, so that's four digits.

Even so, most games, especially multiplayer games, are made to be played at speed. I can't imagine playing a fast game when the buttons are so awkwardly spaced and placed. Also, to use the D-pad and buttons in unison, you'd need both hands, and holding that with both hands will be incredibly awkward.

I know there's a traditional shell, but until I see it, I'll continue to criticise this (not 'bitch', as you put it, douche) what I have to work with.

Roy Karrde
21st September 2005, 12:31 PM
The shell from what I have seen, looks like a white Gamecube controller with the front part of the controller between the two side buttons, hollowed out with the remote placed in it. The problem with shells and addons and what not, is that any third or second or even Nintendo itself, when they produce a game, they have to focus on the lowest common denominator, that is the people that dont own any addons, that dont own any shells, and just own the controller. That and factoring in that most third party companies will have to completely rework the controller scheme of the game when they port it to the Revolution, could cause considerable harm to the system's game base.

Heald
21st September 2005, 01:06 PM
Also, multi-platform games will most likely be coded for the Xbox 360 or PS3, and while those two consoles will most likely have sensible controllers, trying to make a game playable on a console with such an awkward controller may not be worth the effort and the company may not bother porting it to the Revolution.

It isn't like this is the first time Nintendo have tried to make money from stupid add-ons. The Expansion pack for N64 was only necessary for about two decent games, the Gameboy Pak was made specifically for Pokémon Stadium, then we have other crap like the E-reader and Gameboy Player and other trivial nonsense.

Crazy
21st September 2005, 03:05 PM
All of this complaining makes me sick, why don't we actually wait until we can USE it before we start complaining? We might actually like it and look back on how silly some of our fears were. Then again, it could completely bomb. So how about we just reserve our judgement?

Roy Karrde
21st September 2005, 03:14 PM
I dont really think anyone is complaining, more like speculating. I am sure the controller will work fine, it's use would be some what like an advanced version of a light gun. The problem being, and this is what we are speculating about, is that addons have always been deadly to the game industry, and Nintendo seems to be basing atleast half of the controller's function on addons. I mean think about all the addons this generation, such as the PS2's hard drive, Nintendo's GBA -> GCN connectability, the E-Card Reader, hell you can even go back into the day and look at the Light Gun/Rifle that came out for the SNES. All of these things were terribly under supported and rightfully so. The reason is becuase the game developers could not count on the general public having the addons so they did not support the add on in their game. Now I am sure that Nintendo will come up with some excellent games, but unless they package several addons with their system, then I would expect alot of Rail Games/Light Gun games.

Heald
21st September 2005, 03:41 PM
It's a Catch 22; the public won't buy it because there aren't enough/any good games for a certain peripheral, and the industry won't produce any games supporting said peripheral because the public isn't buying it.

Either this will truly be a revolution and change the way people game, or it will fall flat on its arse and put a nice dent into Nintendo's funds.

Razola
21st September 2005, 11:13 PM
lolz xbox controlrs r big

Goddamn you sound like a retard. You don't even know if the damn shell is going to be standard yet, or how much the add-ons are going to cost. Really, it's just going to be a hunk of plastic...it's not like they are going to get away with charging $100 for an add-on. Damn, I bought the fucking Donkey Kong Bongos WITH Jungle Beat for like...60 bucks. Do you think each game is going to have it's own add-on?

The Nintendo DS had a long drought, and many of us looked at it as a gimmick. March just brought compelling ideas and tech demos and tried selling them as games. Now come September we have a solid library of titles, and the PSP is in the shadows. Something has clicked with developers and we're getting good titles like Meteos and Nanostray. Give the Revolution time and I'm sure more developers/publishers who care about the games themslves more than money will be giving it a shot. And frankly, I want to play the products of those people.

As for "buttons"...the Nintendo games we laud as classic worked with a digital pad, start/select, and then A/B. The remote by itself has around that many, and I think Nintendo could make some kickass games. Because we buy Nintendo consoles for NINTENDO games. If Sony or Microsoft peddle this controller, we'd laugh them off the stage. The only reason we are even discussing this is because this is fucking Nintendo, and if anyone can do this, it's them.

And fyi to everyone: the current "White Gamcube Shell" is an IGN mock-up.

Heald
22nd September 2005, 10:38 AM
lolz xbox controlrs r bigFunnily enough, all Xbox owners say exactly the same thing when anyone even suggests that the Xbox controller is slightly oversized. What is it with flagrant fanboyism and resorting to talking like an AIM user?
Goddamn you sound like a retard.This is coming from a guy who just used AIMsp33k as an insult.
You don't even know if the damn shell is going to be standard yet, or how much the add-ons are going to cost. Really, it's just going to be a hunk of plastic...it's not like they are going to get away with charging $100 for an add-on. Damn, I bought the ****ing Donkey Kong Bongos WITH Jungle Beat for like...60 bucks. Do you think each game is going to have it's own add-on?I'm guessing that as per Donkey Konga, Donkey Kong 64 and Pokémon Stadium, Nintendo will throw in whatever add-on is necessary to play the game for an extra £10-£20. But I'm also guessing that as per the aforementioned games, no other games will really use the certain add-on. Look at the eyeToy for the PS2 - it has a plethora of third-party support because it's multi-functioned. The microphones also have at least two brands of Karaoke games going.

Going by Nintendo's track record, this looks ambitious but only a few games will make use of it.
The Nintendo DS had a long drought, and many of us looked at it as a gimmick. March just brought compelling ideas and tech demos and tried selling them as games. Now come September we have a solid library of titles, and the PSP is in the shadows. Something has clicked with developers and we're getting good titles like Meteos and Nanostray. Give the Revolution time and I'm sure more developers/publishers who care about the games themslves more than money will be giving it a shot. And frankly, I want to play the products of those people.Unfortunately, Nintendo is the only company that can afford to be innovative (apart from EA, except innovative isn't in their vocabulary). Because EA pretty much hold a monopoly on the third-party market, every other developer needs to sell a certain number of copies of their game to break even, and to guarantee that number, they can't take any risks so they have to peddle out the same old hackneyed shit. Re: Catch 22.
As for "buttons"...the Nintendo games we laud as classic worked with a digital pad, start/select, and then A/B. The remote by itself has around that many, and I think Nintendo could make some kickass games. Because we buy Nintendo consoles for NINTENDO games. If Sony or Microsoft peddle this controller, we'd laugh them off the stage. The only reason we are even discussing this is because this is ****ing Nintendo, and if anyone can do this, it's them.Believe it or not, the games we laud as classic usually involved a man or a fox running from point A to point B while jumping on bad guys' heads. While the NES controller was fine for that, you couldn't play Wind Waker or SSBM with a NES controller.

PNT510
22nd September 2005, 04:57 PM
[b]You could play smash bros. on the NES, you would need to get rid of shields and grappling, but other than that you could still do everything.

Razola
24th September 2005, 05:24 AM
Funnily enough, all Xbox owners say exactly the same thing when anyone even suggests that the Xbox controller is slightly oversized. What is it with flagrant fanboyism and resorting to talking like an AIM user?The original was a bit oversized. The S is fine. Maybe we do it because there's no reason to put effort into things that were debunked (and funny) about four years ago?

Fanboyism? I own an X-Box, a Gamecube, and would gladly buy a PS2 if I could afford. Fuck off.

This is coming from a guy who just used AIMsp33k as an insult.It was in response to a guy using old console stereotypes. Assumed you enjoyed the dated humor.

I'm guessing that as per Donkey Konga, Donkey Kong 64 and Pokémon Stadium, Nintendo will throw in whatever add-on is necessary to play the game for an extra £10-£20. But I'm also guessing that as per the aforementioned games, no other games will really use the certain add-on.Why do other games have to use the add-on? And fyi, a lot of games use the extra RAM for the N64. Rogue Squadron, Perfect Dark, and Dk64 to name some. That may not sound like a lot, but consider the size of the 64's library.

Look at the eyeToy for the PS2 - it has a plethora of third-party support because it's multi-functioned. The microphones also have at least two brands of Karaoke games going.Two!? My Lord! Hey, I think the Donkey Kong Bongos were used in THREE games. Wrap your head around that!

Going by Nintendo's track record, this looks ambitious but only a few games will make use of it.You are comparing apples to oranges. Is this being introduced partway into the console's life? No. This is fucking PART of the Revolution from the start. These features aren't add-ons, they are main compotents. The remote is an actual controller...it's not some drum or camera being added after the system has been released.

Unfortunately, Nintendo is the only company that can afford to be innovative (apart from EA, except innovative isn't in their vocabulary).This is bullshit. Nintendo is the only company that WANTS to be innovative. The rest want to be secure.

Because EA pretty much hold a monopoly on the third-party market, every other developer needs to sell a certain number of copies of their game to break even, and to guarantee that number, they can't take any risks so they have to peddle out the same old hackneyed shit. Re: Catch 22.Believe it or not, the games we laud as classic usually involved a man or a fox running from point A to point B while jumping on bad guys' heads. While the NES controller was fine for that, you couldn't play Wind Waker or SSBM with a NES controller.Yes yes risk vs. reward doesn't go far in the business world. But you can create compelling games with even the smallest number of buttons. Creativity comes from restriction.

Pong anyone?

Drago
30th September 2005, 09:55 AM
Hm, always good to see things haven't changed a whole lot 'round the video game forum since I've been gone. Hello everybody! :pirate:

Anyway, this new controller took me by surprise. Exactly what was promised, I realise, but the remote variation is an interesting choice all the same.
Given Nintendo's track record with controllers, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but it's not like they haven't had their shortcomings with innovation. My Super Scope is awfully dusty these days, and that Virtual Boy doesn't get much attention.

Speculation is all the fun at this point, however. That and debate, but I was never good at that.

-/Deathborn/-
2nd October 2005, 05:12 PM
Gee, at least it might have a normal controler thing to slide it in the top, because I have no sliver of an idea how to play a SSBM game with that thing. But they hooked it up to work with Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and the testers said it worked out well. That nunchuck thing seems like it'll be more comfortable than the normal controls of the current.

SupremeChampion
14th November 2005, 12:48 AM
[i]i know this topic is old but it's the first time i saw it and i had to comment. this controller is going to be, well... different from what anyone is used to, obviously. i think it will be agood one though. i mean, nintendo has done some weird things with their controllers, but they always turn out right in the end. so i guess i'll reserve my judgement until i actually get revolutions and use the controller a few times before i say anything more.

~The Italian Stallion

Craig
14th November 2005, 02:05 PM
Well in the controller battle, the Gamecube controller has always been my fav out of all the nintendo ones. If they were to somehow combine the gamecube and N64 (with the z button trigger) it would godlike. N64 is good but the c buttons piss me off and the fact that you can't use the d-pad and analog at the same time.

In defense of the Xbox - the Controller D is huge. The Controller S is great. The 360 controller is even better.

Maybe revolution will also work with gamecube controllers for games like super smash bros revolution and what not.

Hell the revolution controller looks great if it has that motion sensor thing. You want to jump? Just jerk the controller up. Fishing games would be great, reeling it in with your little remote.

Only time will tell.

phaedrus
3rd January 2006, 09:39 PM
Gee, at least it might have a normal controler thing to slide it in the top, because I have no sliver of an idea how to play a SSBM game with that thing. But they hooked it up to work with Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and the testers said it worked out well. That nunchuck thing seems like it'll be more comfortable than the normal controls of the current.

The Revolution has 4 separate inputs for Gamecube controllers so that you can play those old games with the old controllers. They wouldn't be THAT mean, to make you adapt with the new controller, which probably has different buttons anyways. It has one input for both Gamecube/Revolution CDs, 4 inputs for the Revolution controllers (which look Revolutionary, expectedly), 4 inputs for the Gamecube controllers, and inputs for all the AC adapters and the A/V cables and all the required crap to play a video game system.

At least, I think so.

Yero Thropp
14th January 2006, 01:53 PM
Hey guys, check this out:

http://joystiq.com/2006/01/07/magazine-reveals-revolution-details-zelda-super-smash-bros-d/ (http://)

Apparently, the device in your right hand is very sensitive; it reacts to your movements. This will be incorporated in the games. For instance, this site gives an example with the Zelda game coming out; you jab the controller forward, and Link swings his sword. Turn your wrist to the left, and the car you're driving turns left. It's that simple.

I like it. It's gonna be great, I think. Any other comments?

phaedrus
14th January 2006, 08:14 PM
the link doesn't work. but yeah, the controller has wireless sensors and all that cool stuff.

i'm joining the Revolution the day it comes out (ahahahahahahahaha bad pun)

Andrew
19th January 2006, 12:22 AM
Best nintendo controller IMO has the control stick of the GC, the Z Trigger of the N64, the shoulder buttons of the SNES and the awesome start button on the NES

SupremeChampion
26th January 2006, 09:54 AM
[i]i think its awesome that the controller is going to have sensor's like that, to let it follow your movements. i still don't see how something like that can help when you're trying to play something like SSB, get what i mean? how are you supposed to do all the things you could do on GC with such a controller?

~The Italian Stallion