PDA

View Full Version : Forum Security

mr_pikachu
22nd September 2005, 12:04 AM
Judging by the recent extreme influx of completely useless and inflammatory posts in Miscellaneous (and several theories on various hacks being used by the spam attackers), it would appear that TPM needs more security to defend against attacks from outside sources. I have noticed that, during this period, no moderators or other forum administrative figures have been present on TPM. Perhaps this indicates a planned attack, or perhaps this is indicative of an administrative activity problem. Obviously, I cannot say for certain if this is due to one or both of these factors or other possible reasons. However, it may be time for people with ideas to come forward with suggestions on how to bolster the security of TPM. I am not computer-savvy enough to be a useful contributor to this effort, but I feel that it could not hurt to get the discussion started.

On a related note, I would prefer for the forum to not lock all registrations; however, if this is revealed to be necessary, I will support it wholeheartedly. I feel that an appropriate method of protecting the integrity of these forums needs to be decided upon, no matter what it is.

If you have any ideas on how to deal with these threats, then please post them here.

P.S. And if the spammers decide to post here, it will give the administrators a much easier job of figuring out precisely who is involved in these attacks.

Chris
22nd September 2005, 03:57 PM
P.S. And if the spammers decide to post here, it will give the administrators a much easier job of figuring out precisely who is involved in these attacks.

We already know who was involved (pissed-off ex-permabans).

Seriously, this isn't anything to worry about.

firepokemon
22nd September 2005, 11:17 PM
Its a pity you weren't around in 2000 and 2001. Then you'd really be upset at the spammers/flammers.

I guess Jay and kiyone really were complete nutty yesterday. Oh well.

Dark Scizor
23rd September 2005, 05:53 AM
Its a pity you weren't around in 2000 and 2001. Then you'd really be upset at the spammers/flammers.

Not to mention the hacks and other similar stuff.