PDA

View Full Version : English names thread #3 - now that we know them, opinions!

Scythemantis
4th March 2003, 06:13 PM
The previous thread was getting too huge, and its purpose was to guess the names, so there ought to be a seperate thread for discussing the newly revealed full list!

Here's the wallpaper/names chart by Otaku_Shigeru (great job making it! It's much easier to have a visual reference! I hope you don't mind my posting it here for you)

http://animedna.homestead.com/files/rsnew.gif

ThePhenom
4th March 2003, 06:15 PM
1. Treecko
2. Grovyle
3. Sceptile
4. Torchic
5. Combusken
6. Blaziken
7. Mudkip
8. Marshtomp
9. Swampert
10. Poochyena
11. Mightyena
12. Zigzagoon
13. Linoone
14. Wurmple
15. Silcoon
16. Beautifly
17. Cascoon
18. Dustox
19. Lotad
20. Lombre
21. Ludicolo
22. Seedot
23. Nuzleaf
24. Shiftry
25. Taillow
26. Swellow
27. Wingull
28. Pelipper
29. Ralts
30. Kirlia
31. Gardevoir
32. Surskit
33. Masquerain
34. Shroomish
35. Breloom
36. Slakoth
37. Vigoroth
38. Slaking
42. Nincada
43. Ninjask
44. Shedinja
45. Whismur
46. Loudred
47. Exploud
48. Makuhita
49. Hariyama
54. Azurill
60. Nosepass
61. Skitty
62. Delcatty
68. Sableye
69. Mawile
70. Aron
71. Lairon
72. Aggron
76. Meditite
77. Medicham
78. Electrike
79. Manectric
80. Plusle
81. Minun
86. Volbeat
87. Illumise
94. Roselia
95. Gulpin
96. Swalot
97. Carvahna
98. Sharpedo
99. Wailmer
100. Wailord
101. Numel
102. Camerupt
105. Torkoal
110. Spoink
111. Grumpig
114. Spinda
116. Trapinch
117. Vibrava
118. Flygon
119. Cacnea
120. Cacturne
121. Swablu
122. Altaria
123. Zangoose
124. Seviper
125. Lunatone??
126. Solrock
127. Barboach
128. Whiscash
129. Corphish
130. Crawdaunt
131. Baltoy
132. Claydol
133. Lileep
134. Cradily
135. Anorith
136. Armaldo
140. Feebas
141. Milotic
142. Castform
145. Kecleon
146. Shuppet
147. Banette
148. Duskull
149. Dusclops
150. Tropius
151. Chimecho
152. Absol
160. Wynaut
171. Snorunt
172. Glalie
173. Spheal
174. Sealeo
175. Walrein
176. Clamperl
177. Huntail
178. Gorebyss
179. Relicanth
183. Luvdisc
187. Bagon
188. Shelgon
189. Salamence
190. Beldum
191. Metang
192. Metagross
193. Regirock
194. Regice
195. Registeel
196. Latias
197. Latios
198. Kyogre
199. Groudon
200. Rayquaza
201. Jirachi
202. Deoxys

Oddish17
4th March 2003, 06:15 PM
I am quite distraught over the name Spoink. Well, I would be if I got emotional over Pokemon names, but still, what the hell is a spoink? :rolleyes:

The Great Nom, perhaps you should post the Japanese names along with the English ones.

Latios24
4th March 2003, 06:17 PM
Absol fan here. A great name. I don't really know what the meaning of the name is tho. Someone brave enough care to explain what it means?

ThePhenom
4th March 2003, 06:17 PM
The picture needs to be edited. It's "Glalie", not "Glaile".

Psychic_Trainer_Mara
4th March 2003, 06:20 PM
Hrm. I prefer the Japanese names. Some of these sound like they picked syllables, taped them to a dart board, then threw darts at them.
"Oh yay! See if you can get a vowel now!"

Girafarig
4th March 2003, 06:21 PM
Also, the chart is incomplete, Exploud, Relicanth. others are missing.

ThePhenom
4th March 2003, 06:22 PM
The chart's complete for me. :confused:

Girafarig
4th March 2003, 06:25 PM
Do you have V 1.1? Mine might be different than yours

yarukimono
4th March 2003, 06:32 PM
really i have no problem with any of these names except

Luvdisc & Spoink

if any one knows Sponk is a show that comes on noggin.
Spoink- my thoughts think of a pig but what the heck happend to it's name

sounds like a reject for a 60's show

Luvdisc- a lovable diskette. it looks like a pink bean.
hmmm......

i wouldv'e said Pinkean
or Kindneet

DarkMarowak
4th March 2003, 06:32 PM
I'm having trouble pronoucing Gardevoir...

I think it's garr-deav-or or maybe gar-dee-voy-er or...

**'splodes**

Oh, and Spoink comes from Spring + Oink

hebesphenomegacorona
4th March 2003, 07:01 PM
Absol is probably Absol-ute.

Well, they're okay, I guess...

Scythemantis
4th March 2003, 07:02 PM
Now, my opinions:

Shedinja - I THOUGHT OF THIS!!!......and thought I'd be made fun of if I suggested it. It has already grown on me though. It does have a ring to it...

Cacturne - cactus + nocturne! Very cool.

Swalot - sure, why not.

Crawdaunt - will take getting used to, but I get it.

Banette - don't know what it means (something + marionette?) but it sounds cool!!!

Salamence - I think it sounds awesome. Everyone note that "salamander" was originally the name of a mythological creature, and can refer to dragons. Salamence has a real "renaissance" ring to it while sounding sinister.

Luvdisc - Worst. Name. Ever.

Psychic_trainer_mara: all of the japanese names are just syllables of japanese words stuck together too! They aren't any better, you just can't understand them as easily as english so they *sound* more creative.

Darkwobbuffet: "voir" on the end of words is almost always pronounced like "wire". It's either Gar-deh-vire or Gar-deh-vwire.

Vanilla Thunder
4th March 2003, 07:05 PM
Hmmm, well let's see...

Of the recently revealed English names, I really like the names Crawdaunt (giant killer lobsters are a bit daunting), Masquerain (the camoflauged wings, the water nature, it all makes sense), Spoink (perfect for a springing, oinking piglet), Grumpig (not grumpy, but tough!), Spheal (a sphere-shaped seal, short and simple), Beldom (like dumbbell --- "he'll pump you up"), Cradily (good name for this resurrected Pokemon), Exploud (brilliant word combination), Armaldo (sounds like your best foreign friend's name), Chimecho (I like windy days and caves, and this name reminds of that for some reason), and yes, Ludicolo (he so KWAZY! :D).

Wordalicious names for wordalicious Pokemon, though by terms of sheer wordaliciousness alone, all of the new Pokemon win! Har har har.

Kingdom Heartless
4th March 2003, 07:08 PM
Finally, Absol's english name. I've been waiting a while.

Scythemantis
4th March 2003, 07:26 PM
I forgot to comment on Huntail and Gorebyss. Ok names, but I think they should be switched. The gulper eel makes MUCH better sense as "gorebyss".

I don't really know what kind of animal the pink "eel" is supposed to be, unless it's meant to be a hagfish, also called a slime hag. Then the "gore" would make sense, but its cuteness wouldn't. Hagfish are eel-shaped fish (not actually eels. Lampreys and hagfish are in their own group) that feed on tiny creatures like snails and on decaying flesh (swarms of them reduce whale carcasses to bare skeletons in mere weeks) and also produce more slime (and stickier slime) than anything else in nature. They do have tentacles around their mouths and can be pinkish, but Gorebyss might be a little too cutesy for one. It has eyelashes and a clamshell BRA for petes sake. Then again, "hag" denotes a female...and hagfish do live in the deep-sea abyss....

Well, I guess I kinda figured out that pokemon, though I wish the both of them were dark types, being abyssal eels and all.

ThePhenom
4th March 2003, 07:43 PM
The Masquerade part of Masquerain comes from the fact that Masquerain(it's eyes at least) look like masks that are worn at masquerade parties. Atleast from what I remember. ;)

PIDB16
4th March 2003, 07:44 PM
What I want to know, is what the hell does Glalie mean?
For an "Ice Demon", that sounds kind of... girlish.
Sounds like something you'd name a little poodle.

Mikey
4th March 2003, 07:46 PM
I know pretty much all of what the names are made up of. Some people wanted to know so here are a few, if ur stuck on one, just ask.

Gorebyss- Goregeous and abyss
Aggron- Aggresion and iron
Feebas- Feeble and Bass
Snorunt- Snow and runt
Glaile- Glacier and Hail
Shiftry- Shifty Tree
Spheal- Sphere and seal
Sealeo- Seal and Leo " Sea Lion"
Walrein- Walrus and rain spelt rein
Whiscash- Whiskers and ther CA in cat and the SH in fish
Claydol- Clay and doll
Medicham- Meditate and Champ
Beldum- Dumbell but reversed
Metang- japanese name
Metagross- Japanese name
Absol- Japanese name
Flygon- Fly and dragon
Bagon- Baby Dragon
Shelgon- Shell and dragon
Exploud- Explode and loud
Grupig- Grumpy pig
Huntail- Hunter and Tail

ThePhenom
4th March 2003, 07:49 PM
Noctail nailed the Gorebyss one, now that I think of it.

ivysaur12
4th March 2003, 07:49 PM
Wow, this is amazing, who would've though.... All the pokemon have known english names!

PIDB16
4th March 2003, 07:54 PM
GN77, It's not Glaile (that's a typo), it's Glalie.
And I don't see glacier, and hail coming from that.

Mikey
4th March 2003, 07:58 PM
Gla is from Glacier as it is an ice type and with the typo the lie is not hail

Seraph Angel
4th March 2003, 08:01 PM
Gardevoir is pronuonced ['gar day 'vwa]. My friend thinks it's French for "Guardian of Sight", or something... She doesn't know exactly, though.

ThePhenom
4th March 2003, 08:01 PM
Hmmm....I don't like how they used the -Gon ending for two sets of Pokemon. I'm refering to Bagon/Shelgon and Flygon. Anyone think maybe Salamence and Flygon are on the wrong Pokemon? I'm probably wrong, but I was wondering if anyone else thought of that. And yes, I realize the current Flygon had the name of Furiagon. ;)

And the Lil part in Lileep and Ily pary in Cradily probably come from the Lily flower. :P

The Muffin Man
4th March 2003, 08:02 PM
Just here to clear something up. None of the names are confirmed to be these pokemon:
Remember Skarmory, evolving into Forretress? Or Centerity? Or Wooper, the steel/flying type? Hmm?

Oh. And as a frog(french person ;)) myself...Gardevoir will probably be Gard - Eh - Vwah(yes. Vwah XD) or Guard - Au - voir(Gard Aw Revwah...the U in Au is pretty much just snuck in. Like the Y in Gyarados. It's enough to make a sound, but no MASSIVE sound)

Au Revoir is also sometimes pronounced Au 'voir, emitting the re...Ahh well, It's been so long since I've been in French class...XD I skipped for like half the class everyday...o.o;; not that YOU should x.o;;
*For the record, I beat Will for the first time when we learned to ask people how they were ^^;*

Runpapa
4th March 2003, 09:06 PM
Odd.. very odd, these names. Moreso than the previous batches.

Pidgeot
4th March 2003, 09:22 PM
I hate the name Dustox. I mean, its suits a poisonous moth, but seriously. It sounds like some sort of household cleaner. I can just imagine the advertisements:

Leamony Fresh! I love this house because I cleaned it with DUSTOX! *cheesy grin*

Kari and Mewtwo
4th March 2003, 09:23 PM
heh.. vigoroth.. that name reminds me of Sephiroth..

heheh..

BEWARE THE ONE WINGED SLOTH! *runs*

Scythemantis
4th March 2003, 09:44 PM
How is Rekkuzza properly pronounced? Someone on gamefaqs has this to say:

As for the people saying Rayquaza sounds the same as Rekkuuza, you people are idiots, plain and simple. Learn to speak the language, learn how each kana is pronounced, and THEN try and say that. Blasted gaijin dipsticks. If you wanted a DIRECT way to say it, then name it Wreckooza. It's got a hard R and looks dumb as hell, but there ya go. Then you wouldn't have these fanboys out here claiming they know how to pronounce things in Japanese.

What a jerk! What's with people who think they just live and breathe eastern culture and think it actually impresses people? Slipping "gaijin" (foreigner) in there is stupid. It only works if they are actually from japan, and it's a lame attempt at looking clever. ;o

Darkleaf Master
4th March 2003, 09:50 PM
Lol, so ludicolo really did have something to do with spanish... it sounds just the same as the word ridiculo.. as in ridiculous...lol.. if this is what was intended.. pretty funny.. i guess its a good name :)

PS.. were did you guys get all the names??

Zak
4th March 2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Scythemantis
How is Rekkuzza properly pronounced? Someone on gamefaqs has this to say:

What a jerk! What's with people who think they just live and breathe eastern culture and think it actually impresses people? Slipping "gaijin" (foreigner) in there is stupid. It only works if they are actually from japan, and it's a lame attempt at looking clever. ;o

Ah.... This dude is the same angry little man that posted the list of fake names. Just ignore him...

~Zak

Oddish17
4th March 2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by The Great Nom
Hmmm....I don't like how they used the -Gon ending for two sets of Pokemon. I'm refering to Bagon/Shelgon and Flygon. Anyone think maybe Salamence and Flygon are on the wrong Pokemon? I'm probably wrong, but I was wondering if anyone else thought of that. And yes, I realize the current Flygon had the name of Furiagon. ;)

Don't forget about Porygon/2, it's actually three sets of pokemon now.

Anyways, we'll just have to wait for Rayquaza to appear in the anime before knowing how to pronounce it, as that's really the only sure way to know. Same goes for a lot of these pokemon, because a lot could have multiple pronunciations from what I see. Nintendo seemed to want to get more complex with their Pokemon names this time around, which is nice for the older crowd, but young kids may have a tough time following along.

rinku
4th March 2003, 10:19 PM
Luvdisc makes perfect sense when you realise it is a love-heart (not a kidney bean) AND a Disc Fish. Meowth posted a teaser about that a few days ago, with links to pictures of Disc Fishes. I don't know for sure, but it would not surprise me in the least if there was a Japanese "thing" about them being "the heart shaped fish" or "the fish of love".

Everoy
4th March 2003, 10:29 PM
Don't forget about Pokemon Stadium. They do pronunciations.

Swinubman53
4th March 2003, 10:31 PM
urrrg! theve got my brothers favorite (Camerupt) but they dont have mine (japanese name bupiggu, see sig). meh.....

Bug Catcher Daniel
4th March 2003, 10:40 PM
Lol, so ludicolo really did have something to do with spanish... it sounds just the same as the word ridiculo.. as in ridiculous...lol.. if this is what was intended.. pretty funny.. i guess its a good name

PS.. were did you guys get all the names??

actually i think the ludi part of ludicolo comes from ludicrous

ludicrous:
adjective
foolish or causing laughter because unreasonable or unsuitable; ridiculous

oh look ridiculous! so it may be a combination of LUDIcrous+ridiCULO... or maybe as i think stikachu said... LUDICrous+LOtus...and u stick an O between them to make it sound right :D

Scythemantis
4th March 2003, 10:41 PM
I know it's a heart shape and a disc fish, but luvdisc just sounds awful. It's just...dumb... "love disk". :P

rinku
4th March 2003, 11:52 PM
I'm going to call mine Isaac or Barry :)

"Play that disc of LUUURRVE, baybeh..."

Scythemantis
5th March 2003, 12:45 AM
You'll get too many pokemon eggs to carry.

Animelee
5th March 2003, 01:18 AM
Meowth346's recent update said that Luvdisc is a discus fish, so I guess it makes sense, it being a heart-shaped disc fish-thing!

Anyways, what is it? Glaile, or Glalie? I'll update the wallpaper with the correct name. ^^

The Rusted One
5th March 2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Parsec's Politoed
Don't forget about Pokemon Stadium. They do pronunciations.

Not good ones. "Raychu"? No.

Anyway, I see how Rabukasu was renamed "Luvdisc" - "rabu" means love, "kasu" being "cus" from "discus fish". See?

And you know, I was walking to Uni today and thought, "you know, Lileep and Cradlily have something to do with sleep"; I'll explain.

They are sealilies, which explains the "lily" part, and "eep" comes from "sleep" in Lileep; "Crad" comes from "cradle" in "cradlily." Yeah.

Animelee
5th March 2003, 01:40 AM
See, I knew NOA's names were great. So many people try to act cool by saying that the Japanese names are the best, and anyone who likes any of the English names is an idiot, etc...

There's a guy a GameFAQ, he thinks he's so great because he can read Hiragana, and speak Japanese. His name is Japanese, his quote is Japanese, and he sprinkles Japanese words into his sentences. He called people "gajiin", which is pretty idiotic, itself. That guy seriously angers me.

Anyways, I like all of the English AND Japanese names, except "Mr.Mime". If they were all male, I wouldn't care, but...oh well...

Subame
5th March 2003, 03:45 AM
what's with the order they have the Pokemon in in that picture?

eh, anyway.. since I'm really bored and in a writing mood, here are my thoughts on the names, even if they aren't all the real names and I won't really believe they are until I see them on pokemon.com or my own Ruby/Sapphire game which I probably will never get.. note that I really really hate almost all of these names..

Treecko: to me it sounds like it would mean baby tree (because ko at the end of the words in Japanese blah blah blah)
Grovyle: why is it spelled like that? shouldn't it be Grovile? and it reminds me of Grover from Sesame Street.. o.O
Sceptile: sounds like Scepter + Reptile? where exactly would Scepter come from?
Torchic: gosh I hate that name, maybe just because I hate the word chick...
Combusken: *laughs at the stupidity*
Blaziken: oh come on... and shouldn't it be spelled Blazicken? not like it even looks like a chicken anyway..
Mudkip: whatever THAT's supposed to mean.. it's like naming an elephant Elehan
Marshtomp: *laughs at the stupidity again*
Swampert: reminds me of the shampoo called Pert.
Poochyena: how do you even say that? Poochy-enna? it looks like it should be Pooch-yeena.. and the enna sound makes it sound so feminine..
Mightyena: is it really that mighty? for some reason putting the word mighty in its name makes it sound stupid to me.. it's like Mighty Dog dog food (why DO so many of these names sound like products?) or Mighty Mouse or something..
Zigzagoon: makes it sound like a Goon. it's painful to see my favorite R/S Pokemon given such evil names (the few R/S Pokemon I actually like anyway)
Linoone: why does it have an e at the end? whatever that's supposed to mean.. I thought it was Linoon anyway..
Wurmple: sounds like Crumple or something.. bleh.. I hate it
Silcoon: this one's actually not that bad
Beautifly: soooo stupid
Cascoon: it sounds cool, but what is it supposed to mean? sounds like Cascade + Cocoon, but it has nothing to do with Cascade.. or maybe it's Cast + Coccoon?
Dustox: you're right, it does sound like a cleaner of some kind.. "I love Dustox, it gets out 80% more dust than Dusclops!" lol..
Lotad: reminds me of all those names like Tad and Chad and Brad.. o.O
Lombre: what is that supposed to sound like? Hombre? doesn't that mean man, or does it mean brother or something, I forgot.. either way, it doesn't really make sense..
Ludicolo: Ludicrous + Lotus + Ridiculo.. that's too complicated of a meaning!
Seedot: Seed + Dot?
Nuzleaf: what the heck is that.. Nuzzle + Leaf?!?! gosh that sounds stupid..
Shiftry: Shift + Try? what is it shifting and what is it trying?
Nincada: Ninja Cicada? sounds too much like Nintendo and sounds like a Spanish word for some reason
Ninjask: what does the -ask come from? it reminds me of Flask, Task, Bask, or just Ask..
Shedinja: at least it makes sense, but eh, I'm not really sure why but I don't like it
Taillow: not sure why again but it sounds stupid to me
Swellow: I hate the word Swell.. is it supposed to mean that it swells up or that it's swell as in good.. no one uses swell to mean good, this isn't the 50's
Shroomish: sounds a lot like Oddish, and Shroomish never really looked like a mushroom to me anyway
Breloom: sounds like Broom.
Spinda: Spin + Panda.. I like it
Wingull: they really can't think of a word that has more to do with it than Wing? sure it has wings, but that would be like naming Zapdos Featherbird.. if it has more unique qualities, they might as well use them in the name
Pelipper: reminds me of lips, bleh
Surskit: what is that supposed to mean?!
Masquerain: where does the Rain part come from?
Wailmer: sounds like Wilmer..
Wailord: and why are they called Wail anyway. are they constantly wailing? I wouldn't want to have one then..
Skitty: I probably only like it because it reminds me of Skittles.. mmm.. Skittles..
Delcatty: what's the Del supposed to mean? And I don't like that Catty in there..
Kecleon: reminds me of the name Leon..
Baltoy: sounds like Balto the dog.. what is that bal supposed to mean anyway..
Claydol: this is the best they can think of? stick together the 2 most obvious words that describe the thing and take off the last letter?
Nosepass: this would probably get my vote for the stupidest name of them all.. what is the Pass supposed to mean? something passing through its nose?!
Torkoal: not really bad but not really good.. why isn't it spelled Torcoal?
Sableye: what's the Sabl mean, Sable? then is it pronounced Say-bly? that just.. doesn't sound right..
Barboach: Barbie Roach?!?! Or.. Barb.. Roach?
Whiscash: Whiskers + Ash, or Whiskers + Cash? ah well, it doesn't make sense either way, of course
Luvdisc: and this has to be the second stupidest name of all.. maybe it's just me but I hate when Love is spelled Luv, but a NAME with Love in it would sound stupid no matter how it was spelled anyway..
Corphish: not sure what it means, but for some reason, I don't like it
Crawdaunt: another one that just seems stupid for an unexplainable reason
Feebas: might make more sense if it was spelled Feebass.. but I guess that wouldn't look good.. what is it with all these Pokemon being insulted by their own name? we've got a Goon, Catty, Feeble, Grumpy, Gross, and Ogre.. mean ol' Pokemon namers
Milotic: no idea what that means (is it supposed to sound like Melodic?).. it reminds me of the name Milo and the word Tick..
Carvanha: Carve + Piranha, or Carnivore + Piranha (but then where would the v come from?)?, well, for some reason I like how it sounds, anyway
Sharpedo: I guess it's okay but slightly stupid
Trapinch: wah, I don't like the word Pinch. It sounds more like Trap + Inch anyway..
Vibrava: someone I know commented that it sounds like Viagra. I pretty much hate all these just English-ized names anyway..
Flygon: kinda too simple and sounds kinda stupid and I'm not sure how to pronounce it
Makuhita: oh great, a name that isn't even supposed to mean anything.. like Pikachu I suppose.. (yes I know they mean things in Japanese but the majority of English-speaking people aren't going to know what they mean, right?)
Hariyama: ditto.. wasn't its *** name Hariteyama?.. they think we're so stupid that we can't remember a name that long?
Electrike: Sounds like Trike as in Tricycle.. what is the -ike supposed to mean anyway?!
Manectric: Looks like Man-ectric, which is horrible, but I suppose it's probably supposed to be Mane-ectric, which also sounds pretty stupid
Numel: where does the Nu come from? I much preferred the name Donmeru anyway..
Camerupt: no comment, because I'm running out of "stupid"s to put in one post..
Spheal: Sphere Seal.. okay, but seems hard to pronounce for some reason
Sealeo: *sings to the tune of Virtual Insanity* unoriginality
Walrein: what is with all their misspellings.. and is it supposed to be Walrain or Walreign?
Cacnea: sounds like a disease or something
Cacturne: reminds me more of the word Turn than Nocturnal.. it couldn't be Noctus?
Snorunt: Snow Runt or Snore Runt?
Glalie: or Glaile or whatever.. either way, it does sound like a girl's name, not fitting for a mean-looking thing like that
Lunatone: tone? what does that have to do with anything?
Solrock: how do you even pronounce that? I don't really like soul-rock, I'd prefer if these 2 were called Lunarock and Solarock...
Azurill: unoriginality city
Spoink: this one I like, perhaps only because it reminds me of Spam more than Spring..
Grumpig: it doesn't look very grumpy to me.. Bupiggu is just about my favorite R/S Pokemon and well, remember what I said about Zigzagoon
Plusle: and how is THAT pronounced? the way it's spelled it seems more like it would be Ploossle, maybe it should be spelled Plussle? ah, who am I kidding, I still wouldn't like it
Minun: sound like Mime + Nun..
Mawile: Maw as in mouth/muzzle like those wolf roleplayers are always saying? and what does the -ile stand for? is it just wile? vile? smile? reptile?!
Meditite: sounds like Medicine + Tight..
Medicham: cham??
Swablu: and WHAT is THAT supposed to mean? Swan + Blue? Swallow + Blue? it doesn't look like either a swan or a swallow.. or is it Swab (as in cotton swab) + Blue? blah.. aren't its wings supposed to be made of clouds, and we all know clouds aren't made of cotton.. Nimbird would've been better..
Altaria: not sure what it means but it sounds cool..
Wynaut: looks like Whine + Astronaut
Duskull: not bad I suppose..
Dusclops: this one, for some reason, reminds me of Dust, while Duskull doesn't..
Roselia: I don't know whyyyy but I don't liiiiike it.
Slakoth: meh..
Vigoroth: it DOES sound like Sephiroth!
Slaking: bleh..
Gulpin: oh so stupid
Swalot: same, and it also sounds a lot like Swellow and Swablu, why are they so obsessed with the Sw- prefix.. and what do these Pokemon have to do with swallowing anyway.. their mouths don't look that big
Tropius: sounds cool to me
Whismur: sounds very very stupid to me
Loudred: ditto.. is the dred supposed to mean dredlocks?
Exploud: oh so stupid
Clamperl: isn't Perl some kind of programming language or something? oh yeah, this name is stupid
Huntail? what is that supposed to mean? its tail hunts?
Gorebyss: Agreed that this is a quite unfitting name.. If it was supposed to be from Gorgeous, it probably would be spelled Gorbyss...
Absol: Sounds like Lysol. "Absol has a million uses. It can clean anything! Absol kills 99.9% of germs!"
Shuppet: Shut + Puppet? Shady + Puppet? I never thought these Pokemon even looked like puppets anyway..
Banette: sounds really girly and I'm not sure what it means either..
Seviper: no idea how to pronounce that.. Severe + Viper is what I think, though it could be a lot of other things
Zangoose: another one of my most hated names.. it's not even a bird, for crying out loud, it looks like a cat, why call it a goose?
Relicanth: Relic + Coelacanth.. that one's kinda cool.
Aron: Not sure how you pronounce that but it reminds me a lot of the name Aaron, which I have a bad mental association with
Lairon: whatever THAT is supposed to mean..
Aggron: sounds like Viagra, or any kind of pill really.. I'm almost certain there IS a pill called Aggron! "For your worst migraine headaches, you need Aggron!"
Castform: oh, so now they're sticking 2 words together and not altering them in any way..
Volbeat: really really sounds like it should be an Electric type..
Illumize: I like it but only because I like the word Illumination..
Lileep: sounds way too much like Mareep.. what does the eep mean anyway?
Cradily: sounds like Cradle..
Anorith: can't quite figure out why I don't like this one..
Armaldo: sounds way too much like a real name, like, Arnoldo or something.. what is it supposed to sound like, Armadillo? hey, we already have our Sandshrew!
Ralts: kinda hard to pronounce and it's just.. eh..
Kirlia: gosh I hate these English-ized names that don't mean anything.. I probably already said that, didn't I?
Gardevoir: eh..
Bagon: makes it sound like an old paper bag..
Shelgon: sounds too much like the name Sheldon..
Salamence: where does the -ence part come from?
Beldum: what does this thing have to do with a dumbell?
Metang: not bad I suppose, but reminds me of Tang, that orange drink..
Metagross: Oh come on.. the obvious name for this thing that would've been much better was Metacross.. what's gross about it, huh?
Regirock: again sounds like a real name.. Reginald or something.
Regice: REGIS?!?! Regis Philbin?
Registeel: They even put the whole word Regis in this one. Does this have anything to do with why there've been so many Pokemon questions on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? Also this looks like Register.
Kyogre: WHY? It's not an ogre. This makes it sound all ugly and evil. They couldn't just call it Kyorca?
Groudon: *wonders how to pronounce it*.. if the Groud part is supposed to be from Ground, it sounds pretty stupid.. it's like calling Squirtle Watetle..
Rayquaza: sounds kinda cool, even if it doesn't mean anything at all
Latias &
Latios: they always sounded like Lactose to me..
Jirachi: no comment..
Deoxys: couldn't it be spelled Deoxis? at least I think that's how you pronounce it..
Chimecho: what does cho mean? Should I care?

.. Yeah, I was really, really bored. Also, why do most of these names seem so short.. they all have 2 syllables with the emphasis on the first one (I think) it's like they were trying to make them simpler yet more complicated at the same time, and ended up with these short names that make absolutely no sense, sound like things they're not supposed to sound like, and sound just plain stupid to me.. (I did hate a lot of the older Pokemon names too, though not generally this much, even when I first heard them.. but who wants to hear about that?)

and about the pronunciations.. Pokemon names are pronounced differently a lot of times on the anime (heck even the word Pokemon is) and also some have completely different pronunciations on Stadium.. so it's like there really is no official pronunciation, so I just say them however I want :D

Team Rocket's Lugia
5th March 2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Oddish17
Don't forget about Porygon/2, it's actually three sets of pokemon now.

Anyways, we'll just have to wait for Rayquaza to appear in the anime before knowing how to pronounce it, as that's really the only sure way to know. Same goes for a lot of these pokemon, because a lot could have multiple pronunciations from what I see. Nintendo seemed to want to get more complex with their Pokemon names this time around, which is nice for the older crowd, but young kids may have a tough time following along.

The anime??? Rayquaza is a lengendary, it will take ages to show it!
Oh wel, hope stadium get it right.

Oh, Pokemon is supposed to be pronunced Po-kay-mon, since there is an accent on the "e", like this: Pok¨¦mon, the ¨¦ is a "a" sound.

Dark Delcatty
5th March 2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Subame

Swellow: I hate the word Swell.. is it supposed to mean that it swells up or that it's swell as in good.. no one uses swell to mean good, this isn't the 50's

I believe that swell in Swellow means "rising or extending above the surrounding level, such as the clouds"(used a dictionary). This seems appropriate for Swellow.

Bug Catcher Daniel
5th March 2003, 09:59 AM
:D thanks subame! u just wasted like 3 minutes of my live by posting so Stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupid opinions! com'on how the hell everything reminds u of viagra? wuts the problem there lil man? and in which way would absol remind u of lysol???? everything reminds u of any stupid thing... why couldnt u just say "I hate them all, except for...." it that so hard?

bye!

ps: sorry, but i dont like reading long posts and more even if they r useless.... besides i just woke up :P

EDIT:

Wailord: and why are they called Wail anyway. are they constantly wailing? I wouldn't want to have one then..

OMG! wail=whale!!! man try using common sense..+
oh yeah i just got the meaning of shupet...maybe SHadow+pUPPET..i said MAYBE

possessed
5th March 2003, 10:15 AM
WOW hadn't seen these :)

some comments:

IMHO the water-starter line has the coolest names. They fit so well with their looks..

nincada-ninjask-shedinja: mysterious plus I like ninja's :)

Luvdisk: Don't wanna waste to much on this. It's a silly name for a silly pokemon that won't see a whole lot of play. Needs and evo

makuhita-hariyama: ugh... these names mean nothing to me

Spoink: is a great name for this kewl little pokemon.

Gorebyss: It may be modelled after the syngnathus family Or pipefish as their english name is.

Rayquaza: Nice, Quaza probably taken from that Majan winged serpent god....(or so my memory tells me)

Scizor Master
5th March 2003, 10:24 AM
I think they should have named it Goregabyss, at least then you wouldn't confuse it with Gore....then again my idea looks pretty darn stupid, so nvm. Anyways, I think Rayquaza will be pronounced Ray-Kah-Zuh. Maybe I've paid a little bit too much attention in Spanish class, but that's how I'll be saying it, sounds best to me, at least better than Ray-Qwah-Zuh

Bug Catcher Daniel
5th March 2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Scizor Master
I think they should have named it Goregabyss, at least then you wouldn't confuse it with Gore....then again my idea looks pretty darn stupid, so nvm. Anyways, I think Rayquaza will be pronounced Ray-Kah-Zuh. Maybe I've paid a little bit too much attention in Spanish class, but that's how I'll be saying it, sounds best to me, at least better than Ray-Qwah-Zuh

mmm... no actually in spanish language.. that QU where the U is muted only works when ending with an E or an I .. like this QUE would be pronounced KE.. but it would be normally pronouced if it ends with any other vowel.. so QUA is pronounced KWAH

M1ND G4ME
5th March 2003, 10:52 AM
I think the name Deoxys suits that pokemon well. If you look at his left arm you notice its two strands. Supposedly that means it conforms itself to form an arm by molding its DNA.

Deoxys-Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA)^^ That's so cool!
...But I'm sorry, It's legs are weird. *twitches*

~GW7~

AKA Pokemon Fan
5th March 2003, 11:39 AM
Its the order they are in if you use the old Pokedex form instead of the Hoenn model.

Treecko: to me it sounds like it would mean baby tree (because ko at the end of the words in Japanese blah blah blah)
Grovyle: why is it spelled like that? shouldn't it be Grovile? and it reminds me of Grover from Sesame Street.. o.O
They aren't THAT hard to understand.

Treeko = Tree + Gecko
Grovyle = Grove + Reptile

Its been traditional since the beginning for Pokemon names to say existing words using different letters. Just like Dewgong instead of Dugong (sp), Seel instead of Seal, and Onix instead of Onyx. They're Pokemon names so its no crime to use strange spellings.

The Sceptor in Sceptile has to do with it being the final evolution, thus the most powerful and kingly. A sceptor is a sign of such power.

Blaziken: oh come on... and shouldn't it be spelled Blazicken? not like it even looks like a chicken anyway..
They combine Combustion and Hen and you think its stupid? Its really a very clever line of names. A Torch starts a fire, Combustion causes the fire to grow, and it results in a great Blaze.

Mudkip and its evolutions are based on Mudskippers (land walking fish).

Mudkip = Mud + Skip or is simply a shortened, cute, form of Mudskipper.
Swampert = Swamp + Inert (large and unmovable).

Poochyena: how do you even say that? Poochy-enna? it looks like it should be Pooch-yeena.. and the enna sound makes it sound so feminine..
Mightyena: is it really that mighty? for some reason putting the word mighty in its name makes it sound stupid to me.. it's like Mighty Dog dog food (why DO so many of these names sound like products?) or Mighty Mouse or something..
It seems pretty clear to me. Poochyena would most easily and best be pronounced as simply Poochy (what you would call a little puppy) + Eena (as in Hyena).

And if you hate Mightyena then you'll have to hate it's Japanese name as well as it basically means Great + Hyena.

Zigzagoon: makes it sound like a Goon. it's painful to see my favorite R/S Pokemon given such evil names (the few R/S Pokemon I actually like anyway)
Ummm... you do realize that its name is pretty much the same in Japanese don't you? The name relates to behavior, as it runs with a zig-zag motion and is based on the Raccoon Dog found in Japan if I remember right.

No more stupid than Butterfree. At least it has something to do with its appearence and isn't simply a corruption of Butterfly.

Cascoon: it sounds cool, but what is it supposed to mean? sounds like Cascade + Cocoon, but it has nothing to do with Cascade.. or maybe it's Cast + Coccoon?
Dustox: you're right, it does sound like a cleaner of some kind.. "I love Dustox, it gets out 80% more dust than Dusclops!" lol..
Cast (as in the cast shell it will become) + Cocoon (which is what it is).
Dust + Toxic (the name relating to it's dust-like scales and Poison Type nature).

Ninjask: what does the -ask come from? it reminds me of Flask, Task, Bask, or just Ask..
It most likely means "Mask" since that is what Ninjask looks like it has on it's face.

Shroomish: sounds a lot like Oddish, and Shroomish never really looked like a mushroom to me anyway
There are many kinds of mushrooms you know. Shroomoish certainly looks like one to mean. By your reasoning we shouldn't like Charmeleon either since it sounds like Jolteon, Flareon etc.

Reminds you of lips??? Anyway its the same as the Japanese name and is meant to convey Pelican.

I'm not totally clear on the first one but Ametama is based on a Water Skimmer. The name is obviously taken from some combination of Skim, skip, surf etc.

The "Rain" would come from this Bug's connection with the water.

I doubt it's pronounced Wail + ord. More likely its the very cool:

Wai (pronouned as in Weight but referring to Whale) + Lord (as it is the largest of ALL Pokemon).

Delcatty: what's the Del supposed to mean? And I don't like that Catty in there..
If you've seen this thing's stats then you'll understand why its anme comes from Delicate + Cat + Kitty.

Ball + Toy
Claydol: this is the best they can think of? stick together the 2 most obvious words that describe the thing and take off the last letter?

What is wrong with a name being obvious? They certainly have enough enigmatic ones here to balance it out.

Nosepass: this would probably get my vote for the stupidest name of them all.. what is the Pass supposed to mean? something passing through its nose?!
Its name is the same as it's Japanese one and consist of Nose + Compasss (which has something to do with the Pokemon's nature I think).

Sableye: what's the Sabl mean, Sable? then is it pronounced Say-bly? that just.. doesn't sound right..
Given they were able to make Unown sound like Unknown, I think it is clear this will be pronounced Sable - Eye.

A Loach is a well known small type of mud dwelling catfish. Many catfish also have barbs, though I don't know if this one does.

Corp (as in the army) + Fish (as in Crayfish which is what this creature is).
Crawdaunt = Crawdad (anotherr term for crayfish) + Daunt (to intimidate).

Flygon: kinda too simple and sounds kinda stupid and I'm not sure how to pronounce it
Fly - gon sounds pretty self-explanatory.

Makuhita: oh great, a name that isn't even supposed to mean anything.. like Pikachu I suppose.. (yes I know they mean things in Japanese but the majority of English-speaking people aren't going to know what they mean, right?)
Hariyama: ditto.. wasn't its *** name Hariteyama?.. they think we're so stupid that we can't remember a name that long?
They're sumo-wrestling Pokemon so there's no problem with them having foreign-sounding names.

Electrike: Sounds like Trike as in Tricycle.. what is the -ike supposed to mean anyway?!
Manectric: Looks like Man-ectric, which is horrible, but I suppose it's probably supposed to be Mane-ectric, which also sounds pretty stupid
Electrike = Electric + Strike

Manectric is apparently based on Chine mythological lions so Mane makes perfect sense. The last part refers to Electric.

What is unoriginal about it? How many other names do you know of that refer to a creature being a combination of a seal and a sea lion?

Walrein: what is with all their misspellings.. and is it supposed to be Walrain or Walreign?
As explained before, the mispellings are intentional and have been around since the beginning of Pokemon. They give the names uniqueness.

Plusle: and how is THAT pronounced? the way it's spelled it seems more like it would be Ploossle, maybe it should be spelled Plussle? ah, who am I kidding, I still wouldn't like it
They're the same as the Japanese names and would be pronounced as much like "Plus" and "Minus" as they can be.

Mawile: Maw as in mouth/muzzle like those wolf roleplayers are always saying? and what does the -ile stand for? is it just wile? vile? smile? reptile?!
Probably "crocodile."

Its a play on words. Wynaut = Why not? Just as Wobbuffet's Japanese name means "That's right" as well as "Disaster."

Clamperl: isn't Perl some kind of programming language or something? oh yeah, this name is stupid[/quote]
Yeah, "clamp," "Clam," and "Pearl" are really stupid references to this shellfish...

Shuppet: Shut + Puppet? Shady + Puppet? I never thought these Pokemon even looked like puppets anyway..
Shuppet = Shudder + Puppet
Banette = Bane (to cause death or destruction) + Marionette (a puppet on strongs).

Zangoose: another one of my most hated names.. it's not even a bird, for crying out loud, it looks like a cat, why call it a goose?
Its the same as it's Japanese name. Have you ever ehard of a MONGOOSE? That's what Zangoose is. No idea what the Zan means though.

The first part refers to Anomalocaris, the ancient arthropod that Anorith is based on. I don't know about the other part.

Its not pronounced like "Bag." The word consist of Baby + Dragon. Which is what it is after all.

Salamander + Menace

Registeel: They even put the whole word Regis in this one. Does this have anything to do with why there've been so many Pokemon questions on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? Also this looks like Register.
They're not pronounced like Regis. It's Regi (which apparently can mean plastic, a good word for these artificial Pokemon golems) + Steel, Ice or Rock.

Kyogre: WHY? It's not an ogre. This makes it sound all ugly and evil. They couldn't just call it Kyorca?
There's actually a complicated meaning to this name that has to do with the study of water, but I don't remember it exactly.

Pokemon names are pronounced differently a lot of times on the anime (heck even the word Pokemon is)
I certainly haven't noticed, and if they do then its just dubbing errors. There are official pronounciations, the guy on Stadium just made mistakes on some of them.

Vanilla Thunder
5th March 2003, 11:52 AM
Somebody earlier was wondering what Walrein means, and even speculated that the "rein" is a mispelling of "rain." I don't think so. I believe it's "reign," as in to rule, which makes sense for these mighty final form. Judging from his awesome power, he probably is the king of the arctic, so the "rein," a shorter and more naming friendly version of "reign," makes perfect sense.

Dave
5th March 2003, 12:59 PM
I like most of these names,and their pretty easy to understand, except for Gardevoir (thanks to whoever it was that cleared this one up), and Glalie - Glacier + ????? I don't have a clue.

The only names I don't like are Shiftry, Ludicolo, Luvdisc (not too bad, i guess), and I don't really like Bagon.

Just a thought about some others - I think it's possible Cradily and Lileep could be the other way round - Cradle suggests the younger form.

Shuckler
5th March 2003, 01:14 PM
come on Shiftry is a great and clever name it a shifty tree

Charles Legend
5th March 2003, 01:26 PM
Grupig I going to call it Spypig get it?

Mikey
5th March 2003, 01:30 PM
To those who weren't sure about what Surskit is composed off, "surface" is the first one and "skitter" as it skits across the surface of the water.

Wild Female Machoke
5th March 2003, 02:39 PM
Oh finally, English names to use in my fanfic. It seemed that I had to wait until the strategy guides get published before I can proceed. *sweatdrop*

As for the names:

AH!! Saanaito is now called Gardevoir? What's this? "Garden + Revoir?"

Dragonfree
5th March 2003, 02:49 PM
My guess is that Absol means something about the opposite of the sun. I think the "sol" part means the sun (just like "Solrock") and the "Ab" part is like the opposite, like "Abnormal". So "Absol" would mean "the opposite of the sun", and that would fit well since it's a Dark type.

ThePhenom
5th March 2003, 03:11 PM
The BAL part in Baltoy likely stands for Balance, which is what the pokemon does by using it's arms. I think part of their origin does come from spinny tops. :P

Seraph Angel
5th March 2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Wild Female Machoke
Oh finally, English names to use in my fanfic. It seemed that I had to wait until the strategy guides get published before I can proceed. *sweatdrop*

As for the names:

Gardevoir is French for Guardian of Sight. She's a French psychic warrior goddess and guardian of psychic powers.

Everoy
5th March 2003, 03:32 PM
1. The rain part comes from... Rain!
2.They mispelled Rain on purpose.

ivysaur12
5th March 2003, 03:34 PM
The BAL part in Baltoy likely stands for Balance, which is what the pokemon does by using it's arms. I think part of their origin does come from spinny tops.

Baltoy and Claydol (sp?) are based off an ancient relic. It's commonly refered to in animes. If you watch digimon, Shakkoumon was based off it also. I know there are more, but my brain is fried now. Yes, I guess Balance Toy could be used also... *trails off*

HungryRivrHorse
5th March 2003, 03:39 PM
My guess is...

Glalie = Glacier + Lie (as in the kind with Pants on fire)

Glacier becuase he's ice. Lie because he's a demon, and lies are evil. Or something. Why isn't he Dark/Ice, besides thye fact that that's a terrible type mixture? (4x to fighting)

Kokomo
5th March 2003, 03:40 PM
She's a French psychic warrior goddess and guardian of psychic powers.

Wow thats pretty badass:yes:

also, damn this thread got post really really fast!:yes:

Oakbark
5th March 2003, 03:55 PM
Yaaaaaaa!!!

Solid english names we can rely on!!!!!!

Psychic_Trainer_Mara
5th March 2003, 03:57 PM
I just like the way the original names sound. You sort of get attached to them, you know? I'm gonna name my Skitty Eneko or Enekoro for the heck of it. Hee.

ThePhenom
5th March 2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by ivysaur12
The BAL part in Baltoy likely stands for Balance, which is what the pokemon does by using it's arms. I think part of their origin does come from spinny tops.

Baltoy and Claydol (sp?) are based off an ancient relic. It's commonly refered to in animes. If you watch digimon, Shakkoumon was based off it also. I know there are more, but my brain is fried now. Yes, I guess Balance Toy could be used also... *trails off*

Yeah, I know about the ancient relic part of it. I just thought the Balance-Toy was the americanized version for explaining it. :P

hebesphenomegacorona
5th March 2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Scythemantis
Psychic_trainer_mara: all of the japanese names are just syllables of japanese words stuck together too! They aren't any better, you just can't understand them as easily as english so they *sound* more creative.

Why don't they give the english names to the pokemon in japan and the japanese names to US?

That way, none of the names are stupid!

Kokomo
5th March 2003, 04:30 PM
I'm gonna name my Skitty Eneko or Enekoro for the heck of it

i was thinking of the same thing because eneko is such a cool name:yes:

Animelee
5th March 2003, 04:53 PM
So, could someone please tell me if it's "Glaile" or "Glalie"? I'm seeing different names everywhere, so I need to know for sure so I can change the name on the wallpaper if I have to! ^^;

Zak
5th March 2003, 04:56 PM
It's Glalie. That one is registered and has the same tthing come up as all of them. Glaile isn't even registered by anyone. So.... its Glalie (I pronounce it Glay-lee).

~Zak

Animelee
5th March 2003, 05:07 PM
Thanks! I'll go and change it now.

Alright, it's all changed!

phantasmal
5th March 2003, 05:56 PM

eh, anyway.. since I'm really bored and in a writing mood, here are my thoughts on the names, even if they aren't all the real names and I won't really believe they are until I see them on pokemon.com or my own Ruby/Sapphire game which I probably will never get.. note that I really really hate almost all of these names..

Linoone: why does it have an e at the end? whatever that's supposed to mean.. I thought it was Linoon anyway..
Wurmple: sounds like Crumple or something.. bleh.. I hate it
Silcoon: this one's actually not that bad
Lombre: what is that supposed to sound like? Hombre? doesn't that mean man, or does it mean brother or something, I forgot.. either way, it doesn't really make sense..
Ludicolo: Ludicrous + Lotus + Ridiculo.. that's too complicated of a meaning!
Seedot: Seed + Dot?
Nuzleaf: what the heck is that.. Nuzzle + Leaf?!?! gosh that sounds stupid..
Nincada: Ninja Cicada? sounds too much like Nintendo and sounds like a Spanish word for some reason
Shedinja: at least it makes sense, but eh, I'm not really sure why but I don't like it
Taillow: not sure why again but it sounds stupid to me
Breloom: sounds like Broom.
Spinda: Spin + Panda.. I like it
Wingull: they really can't think of a word that has more to do with it than Wing? sure it has wings, but that would be like naming Zapdos Featherbird.. if it has more unique qualities, they might as well use them in the name
Skitty: I probably only like it because it reminds me of Skittles.. mmm.. Skittles..
Kecleon: reminds me of the name Leon..
Torkoal: not really bad but not really good.. why isn't it spelled Torcoal?
Whiscash: Whiskers + Ash, or Whiskers + Cash? ah well, it doesn't make sense either way, of course
Luvdisc: and this has to be the second stupidest name of all.. maybe it's just me but I hate when Love is spelled Luv, but a NAME with Love in it would sound stupid no matter how it was spelled anyway..
Feebas: might make more sense if it was spelled Feebass.. but I guess that wouldn't look good.. what is it with all these Pokemon being insulted by their own name? we've got a Goon, Catty, Feeble, Grumpy, Gross, and Ogre.. mean ol' Pokemon namers
Milotic: no idea what that means (is it supposed to sound like Melodic?).. it reminds me of the name Milo and the word Tick..
Carvanha: Carve + Piranha, or Carnivore + Piranha (but then where would the v come from?)?, well, for some reason I like how it sounds, anyway
Sharpedo: I guess it's okay but slightly stupid
Trapinch: wah, I don't like the word Pinch. It sounds more like Trap + Inch anyway..
Vibrava: someone I know commented that it sounds like Viagra. I pretty much hate all these just English-ized names anyway..
Numel: where does the Nu come from? I much preferred the name Donmeru anyway..
Camerupt: no comment, because I'm running out of "stupid"s to put in one post..
Spheal: Sphere Seal.. okay, but seems hard to pronounce for some reason
Cacnea: sounds like a disease or something
Cacturne: reminds me more of the word Turn than Nocturnal.. it couldn't be Noctus?
Snorunt: Snow Runt or Snore Runt?
Glalie: or Glaile or whatever.. either way, it does sound like a girl's name, not fitting for a mean-looking thing like that
Lunatone: tone? what does that have to do with anything?
Solrock: how do you even pronounce that? I don't really like soul-rock, I'd prefer if these 2 were called Lunarock and Solarock...
Azurill: unoriginality city
Spoink: this one I like, perhaps only because it reminds me of Spam more than Spring..
Grumpig: it doesn't look very grumpy to me.. Bupiggu is just about my favorite R/S Pokemon and well, remember what I said about Zigzagoon
Meditite: sounds like Medicine + Tight..
Medicham: cham??
Swablu: and WHAT is THAT supposed to mean? Swan + Blue? Swallow + Blue? it doesn't look like either a swan or a swallow.. or is it Swab (as in cotton swab) + Blue? blah.. aren't its wings supposed to be made of clouds, and we all know clouds aren't made of cotton.. Nimbird would've been better..
Altaria: not sure what it means but it sounds cool..
Duskull: not bad I suppose..
Dusclops: this one, for some reason, reminds me of Dust, while Duskull doesn't..
Roselia: I don't know whyyyy but I don't liiiiike it.
Slakoth: meh..
Vigoroth: it DOES sound like Sephiroth!
Slaking: bleh..
Swalot: same, and it also sounds a lot like Swellow and Swablu, why are they so obsessed with the Sw- prefix.. and what do these Pokemon have to do with swallowing anyway.. their mouths don't look that big
Tropius: sounds cool to me
Whismur: sounds very very stupid to me
Loudred: ditto.. is the dred supposed to mean dredlocks?
Exploud: oh so stupid
Clamperl: isn't Perl some kind of programming language or something? oh yeah, this name is stupid
Gorebyss: Agreed that this is a quite unfitting name.. If it was supposed to be from Gorgeous, it probably would be spelled Gorbyss...
Absol: Sounds like Lysol. "Absol has a million uses. It can clean anything! Absol kills 99.9% of germs!"
Seviper: no idea how to pronounce that.. Severe + Viper is what I think, though it could be a lot of other things
Relicanth: Relic + Coelacanth.. that one's kinda cool.
Aron: Not sure how you pronounce that but it reminds me a lot of the name Aaron, which I have a bad mental association with
Lairon: whatever THAT is supposed to mean..
Aggron: sounds like Viagra, or any kind of pill really.. I'm almost certain there IS a pill called Aggron! "For your worst migraine headaches, you need Aggron!"
Castform: oh, so now they're sticking 2 words together and not altering them in any way..
Volbeat: really really sounds like it should be an Electric type..
Illumize: I like it but only because I like the word Illumination..
Lileep: sounds way too much like Mareep.. what does the eep mean anyway?
Cradily: sounds like Cradle..
Armaldo: sounds way too much like a real name, like, Arnoldo or something.. what is it supposed to sound like, Armadillo? hey, we already have our Sandshrew!
Ralts: kinda hard to pronounce and it's just.. eh..
Kirlia: gosh I hate these English-ized names that don't mean anything.. I probably already said that, didn't I?
Gardevoir: eh..
Shelgon: sounds too much like the name Sheldon..
Metagross: Oh come on.. the obvious name for this thing that would've been much better was Metacross.. what's gross about it, huh?
Groudon: *wonders how to pronounce it*.. if the Groud part is supposed to be from Ground, it sounds pretty stupid.. it's like calling Squirtle Watetle..
Rayquaza: sounds kinda cool, even if it doesn't mean anything at all
Latias &
Latios: they always sounded like Lactose to me..
Jirachi: no comment..
Deoxys: couldn't it be spelled Deoxis? at least I think that's how you pronounce it..

.. Yeah, I was really, really bored. Also, why do most of these names seem so short.. they all have 2 syllables with the emphasis on the first one (I think) it's like they were trying to make them simpler yet more complicated at the same time, and ended up with these short names that make absolutely no sense, sound like things they're not supposed to sound like, and sound just plain stupid to me.. (I did hate a lot of the older Pokemon names too, though not generally this much, even when I first heard them.. but who wants to hear about that?)

and about the pronunciations.. Pokemon names are pronounced differently a lot of times on the anime (heck even the word Pokemon is) and also some have completely different pronunciations on Stadium.. so it's like there really is no official pronunciation, so I just say them however I want :D

...Someone has a viagra fetish. ;)

Psychic_Trainer_Mara
5th March 2003, 06:18 PM
And in response to Scythemantis, there's really no need to be such a butthead. I'm sure you aren't, but some comments of mine get some people's dander up. I am not popular, wanted and I think the mods hate me. *chuckles* But that's OT. I just like the way the original names sound and after getting used to them, it's somewhat hard to part with old habits. *ahem* No need for rudeness on either party's part. But I do like Skitty. Sssskitty. Hee. And Luvdisc. Sounds like something Barry White would train. Gettin' down with the Luvdisc!

Bug Catcher Daniel
5th March 2003, 06:31 PM
who is barry white? :S u keep talking bout him...

phantasmal
5th March 2003, 07:09 PM
A famous love song singer.

Seraph Angel
5th March 2003, 07:46 PM
Barry White is a world-famous R&B singer with a very deep voice that makes people melt. He sings romantic love songs that are popular around the world. The television series "Ally McBeal" uses his songs as a means to make fun of the characters' romantic realtionships.

Anyway, I like some of the new names. At first, I didn't like Gardevoir for Saanaito, but it suits her well. Guardian of Sight and the French culture. She looks French IMO. It just makes her more beautiful than ever! *sighs blissfully* <3.<3 *cough* Anyway, Luvdisc sucks beyond belief. Grumpig doesn't seem to suit Buupiggu. Spoink is funny! Crawdaunt is really cool! Cradily and Lileep are kinda cool. Anorith = Anomalacaris + Monolith; cool. Armaldo sounds like Waldo. *imagines a series of "Where's Armaldo?" books and shudders in fear* Shuppet (Shadow + Puppet) and Banette (Bane + Marionette) make sense. Whiscash kinda sounds like Whisker + Cash, but is okay nonetheless. Metagross suits Metagurosu well IMO. Aggron is really cool! Claydol kinda sounds like Play-Doh. Chimecho (Chime + Echo) is cool. Exploud still keeps its Japanese coolness, but in a different way than the Japanese does. Flygon sounds stupid. Glalie is strange. Gorebyss, if pronounced correctly, sounds just like gorgeous. Relicanth suits Jiiransu well. Ludicolo = Lotus + Ridiculo (Spanish for ridiculous); he is crazy-looking after all. Huntail is slimy yet satisfying! (I'll give a virtual cookie to whomever can get that reference.) Salamence sounds like Salamander + Commence (as in "Commence the assault!"); it's really cool!

That's about all the names for whom I have comments.

Bug Catcher Daniel
5th March 2003, 08:10 PM
mmm.. actually the spansih word for ridiculous is = ridiculo not rudicolo...ludicrous..what ever...

Scizor Master
5th March 2003, 08:21 PM
*imagines a series of "Where's Armaldo?" books and shudders in fear*

lol I was thinkin the same thing myself. In fact that reminds me there were books like that about Pokemon, saw it once at Target

Yami Ron
5th March 2003, 09:16 PM
A big thanks from me to each of you that did research in finding and confirming each Ruby/Sapphire English Pokémon name. Again, thank you ever so much.

Shining Arcanine
5th March 2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Wild Female Machoke

As for the names:

Well, they are the translations. In japanese the pokemon's name is derived from Garden + Revoir except they were Japanese characters. The japanese names in letters are really how you pronounce the names in japanese and is not a true translation.

rinku
5th March 2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
Well, they are the translations. In japanese the pokemon's name is derived from Garden + Revoir except they were Japanese characters. The japanese names in letters are really how you pronounce the names in japanese and is not a true translation.

Oh? That doesn't sound right to me... "garden" is "En", sometimes "Sono". Where do you get Garden in Saanaito??
The best I could work out for it before we learned the English version was "See you tonight". "Saa" could well map to "de revoir", but I'd be inclined to match "Garde" with "Knight" if so.

Come to the knight? The knight of the rendezvous?

Dark Auro
5th March 2003, 11:09 PM
Uh can someone post the latest pic that have all the pokemon with the names under them with the corrects to the names? Thanks!

PS I think that most of the names are fine. I just need to remember them all and hey if you don't like them then thats where nicknaming comes in heh.

Scythemantis
5th March 2003, 11:09 PM
Wailord: and why are they called Wail anyway. are they
Swalot: same, and it also sounds a lot like Swellow and Swablu, Clamperl: isn't Perl some kind of programming language or something? oh yeah, this name is stupid

Ok, I am really sick of people thinking Zangoose comes from goose. It's the enemy of seviper. It's a MONGOOSE. I always knew that. It's as obvious as "rattata" coming from "rat".

Almost everyone who hates any of the names is taking them the wrong way...

The names that don't mean anything are actually my favorites... every single one doesn't have to be a goofy pun. There should be plenty that sound like made up words. After all, "cat" doesn't mean anything. "Toad" doesn't mean anything. "Monkey" doesn't mean much...

Am I the only one who likes Dustox BECAUSE it sounds like a household chemical? I like that concept. Burning, potent chemicals in powder form.

Chimecho: Chime + ECHO. Duh.

Metagross: does it have to mean gross as in disgusting? It sounds cool either way. I like it more than metacross.

Beldum: uh...what doesn't it have to do with a dumbell? It's a metal weight. Doesn't have to look like one, but the name fits fine.

Huntai: it hunts, and is mostly tail. Does it have to make sense? It sounds fine.

Whismur: I think it's one of the coolest new names, actually. Though it sounds more ghost-like.

Clamperl: Just what they said above, it's a clam/oyster and has a pearl for a head. What's it supposed to be called?

Gulpin and Swalot: well, they *do* swallow other pokemon, so their mouths probably can stretch open.

Lunatone: why not? Tone sounds "psychic-y" enough to me.

Cacnea: yes, sounds like a disease, perfect for an evil cactus! :)

Kecleon: isn't the 'leon pronounced like in chameleon?

Masquerain: uh, it flies, and evolves from a water type. Where does the word rain *not* come from?

Shiftry: it's SHIFTY + TREE and pronounced the same.

Beautifly: what else should they call it? Is this somehow better than "Butterfree?"

.....All in all, I see nothing wrong with any of the new names. The first 150 are just as bad, they always were. Is "Charizard" "charmeleon" and "charmander" HONESTLY better than torchic, combusken and blaziken? You're all just used to the older ones more.

HungryRivrHorse
6th March 2003, 12:10 AM
Masquerain = Masquerade + Rain (play on words)

Deamon the Arcanine
6th March 2003, 12:33 AM
Rayquaza could be a combination of Ray: A beam of light and Quasar: a type of high energy power source of unknown origin obviously taking into account intentional misspelling that happens in pokemon.

Im not sure if this sits well with the creatures character or description.

Waru_no_Yami
6th March 2003, 08:11 AM
Ludicolo- LUDICrous+LOtus with an O thrown in. Kinda like Bulbasaur had an A thrown in there

Shiftry- SHIFTY+TRee. Tengus are supposed to be sneaky, or shifty, and the TRY ending sounds like tree

Gardevoir- I've been hearing this is "Guardian of Sight" in French. Is that it?

Masquerain- A very cool name. MASQUERAde+RAIN, since it looks like a raindrop and has huge eyes on its wings. It actually does look like a masquerader at Mardi Gras or Carnaval.

Shedinja- SHED+nINJA, since it's a ninja that has shed its former "shell"

Exploud- AWESOME name. EXPLOde+LOUD

Aggron- AGGressive+iRON. Meh... I never really like this line anyways (how does an ant become a rhino?)

Medicham- MEDItate+CHAMp. Horrible name right here. I'm a little disappointed, since this was one of my favorites. The P got chopped off because it would sound too much like Machamp, which is stupid. Besides, it should've been MediCHIMP, which sounds a lot better I think

Swalot- SWALlow+a LOT. I LOOOVE this name! It's the GLUTTON POKEMON, so it makes a ton of sense. Plus, it's a play on words. SWALOT=SWALLOW A LOT

Spoink- SPring+OINK. Mediocre. I expected a name like this in the end. And, even if it were Sproink, it still would sound like a really stupid toy. But, then again, one of the pigs (Hugh) in Animal Crossing has a house full of toys, so maybe the connection between pigs and kiddie toys isn't that bizarre?

Grumping- GRUMP+PIG. BLECH! This Pokemon has NOTHING to do with being Grumpy. Looks like another case of the Geodude/Mr. Mime Crappy-Name-That-Was-Given-For-Coolness-Value Syndrome

Cacturne- CACTUs+noCTURNE. Yay! A cool name for Nokutasu!

Solrock- SOLar+ROCK, which was expected

Whiscash- WHISker+???. It's a cool name, but where's cash coming from?

Crawdaunt- CRAWDAd+DAUNT, which is a cool name. To Daunt is to intimidate, which totally fits this guy. When I worked at an aquarium last summer, they had this huge 14 pound blue lobster. It was a sight to see. Creatures like that are really freaky. I wonder how big this Pokemon is...

Claydol- CLAY+DOLl. Meh...

Lileep- LILy+crEEP. It's a cool name. It does creep, I suppose.

Cradily- CRADle+lILY. It's also a really cool name. This one's a sea lily too, and I suppose it cradles back and forth while fighting.

Anorith- ANOmonacaRLIS. This is a great name, and its just like the whole Marth/Aeris deal. In Japan, their names are Mars and Aeris, but romanized, it comes out as Marth and Aerith. So, I figure it's the same deal here, even though anomonacarlis is an English name...

Armaldo- I REFUSE to call it Armaldo. I think the dude mispelled it. It's gotta have that N. If not, why?! Because it would sound too much like Rhydon? That's total bull.

Feebas- FEEBle+BASs. Mmm... Makes the Pokemon sound like an even tastier meal for my team

Shuppet- SHadow+pUPPET. LAME

Banette- BANE+marioNETTE. Not quite as LAME, but still LAME

Chimecho- CHIME+ECHO. How is this one pronounced? CHIM-ECHO? CHIME-KO? HOW?! Otherwise, it's cool

Absol- ABSOLute, as in absolute destruction or whatever. It's just a romanization of the Japanese name, so Meh...

Snorunt- SNOw+RUNT. Wonderful name. I wish I had thought of it during my search

Glalie- GLAcier+goaLIE. I've also seen this one as GLAILE... Either way, I dub thee LAME

Spheal- SPHEre+sEAL. This one's alright...

Sealeo- SEA+LEO. I love this one almost as much as I do Swalot. It's a play on words. The Pokemon's a sea lion, so they used the name Sealeo, leo being Spanish (and possibly Latin too) for Lion

Walrein- WALRus+REIN. Rein is a purposeful mispelling of reign. This one is alright

Clamperl- CLAMP+PERL. Mispelling of pearl... It's a play on words again, with it clamp containing clam, what this creature is, within itself

Huntail- HUNT+TAIL. Just another romanization

Gorebyss- GORE+aBYSS. The gore has nothing to do with the Pokemon; it was added because it helps the name sound like gorgeous, which is what this Pokemon is

Relicanth- RELIC+coelaCANTH, which is just a sweet name. I like it a lot, much more than Jilanth.

Luvdisc- LUV+DISC. Well, what else was there for it to be called? It's a discus fish, and love is mispelt on purpose. No matter what name they give it, this Pokemon, and its official name, are LAME

Bagon- BAby+draGON. Congratulations, Tatsubei! You've just won the LAMEST POKEMON NAME EVER Award!

Shelgon- SHELl+draGON. 'aight...

Salamence- SALAMander+comMENCE. The mence could also be from menace, but there's room for that A, so probably not. Besides, this has got to be one of the coolest Pokemon names ever. Just say it. You can feel the coolness reverberating off your tongue. Salamence!

Beldum- BELl+DUM. Just a reversal of Dumbell. I'm a little shocked, considering this Pokemon, to me at least, looked like a security camera of some sort. They're all robotic guards, not weights! Oh well, it's a decent name

Metang- METAl+ANGer. Why not Metangst? Metang sounds really... weird. Not bad, but it doesn't sound right at all. Anyways, it's another romanization

So there ya have it! Now, if someone could tell me where the cash in Whiscash is from, and why there's an -ert ending to Swampert, I think I'd know the origin of every Pokemon name in R/S. Hurrah! :D

The Muffin Man
6th March 2003, 08:45 AM
Umm, Claydol isn't Clay and Doll. It's Clay and Idol.

ANd Bagon sounds ALOT better than Feebas -_-; But not as cool as Exploud!

Whiscash = WHISker + CAt fiSH

Scizor Master
6th March 2003, 09:26 AM
Umm, Claydol isn't Clay and Doll. It's Clay and Idol.

Good, so I wasn't the only one who saw that

Bug Catcher Daniel
6th March 2003, 10:07 AM
what does dumbell mean?

and i think the -ert in swampert comes from like..big or strong or sumthin... can u guys make a COMPLETE least with all the orgins of each name,... that would be cool.. but try to hadve the RIGHT origins please ;) thanks in advance

Dragonfree
6th March 2003, 10:37 AM
Wasn't there some deal about it being "Swamp" and "pert", although I don't remember what "pert" means...

But...

Absol- ABSOLute, as in absolute destruction or whatever. It's just a romanization of the Japanese name, so Meh...

Read my last post in this thread. Why should it be something about absolute? It sounds much cooler if it is like abnormal, just not ab-normal but ab-sun. Sorurokku has "soru" and Abusoru also has, so it could well have the same meaning.

Bug Catcher Daniel
6th March 2003, 10:40 AM
what does abusoru means? i think absol is just a romantization

Dragonfree
6th March 2003, 12:35 PM
Yes, it is a romanization, but I think that's the thought behind the Japanese name. Unless it means something else in Japanese, I don't know any Japanese, so could anyone else tell me what it means?

The Muffin Man
6th March 2003, 12:41 PM
Interesting. Sorurokku = Solarock.
Absol - Ab-solar? Maybe it's an Abnormal pokemon only appearing during massive Solar flare storms(basically a bunch of solar flares shooting out)? Hmmm...Absol might be Absolute, too. But it still makes ya think...

Bug Catcher Daniel
6th March 2003, 01:45 PM
maybe he appears only during an solar ecplise or sumthin that like... wow that owuld be really interesting...

HungryRivrHorse
6th March 2003, 01:51 PM
maybe it means something like he's the anti-sun. He is a Dark type, Ab means weird or not or something (like ABnormal), and Sol means sun in Spanish....

Dragonfree
6th March 2003, 01:58 PM
Yes, that was what I meant, anti-sun. Thanks for giving more clear words, it explains my exact idea much better.

ThePhenom
6th March 2003, 02:26 PM
Swampert = Swamp + Inert(Immovable)

Dave
6th March 2003, 02:28 PM
A dumbell is what you use for weightlifting. It's another romanisation - Danbal = Dumbel
I also noticed Nendooru = Nendol
Here's the smart one - Kootasu = kootus. Tortoise pronounced casually sounds like 'tortus' - therefore Kootasu = Coatoise. Coatoise - Torkoal. Get it?

Those last ones:

Swampert - Swamp + Inert (following from Skip - Stomp - Inert)
Whiscash - Whisker + Catfish (a convoluted version of 'whiscatfish')

i'm still unsure of the names that are assigned to different pokes - Metagross and Metang still aren't 100% confirmed, there's always a chance of Metank and Metacross. Same with Spoink.
As for getting ones mixed up - Lileep and Cradily could work either way, personally i think Cradily suits the smaller one.
And remember - I don't believe Flygon has been confirmed either...

The Rusted One
6th March 2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Waru_no_Yami
Lileep- LILy+crEEP. It's a cool name. It does creep, I suppose.

Actually, it's Lily+sleep.

Cradily- CRADle+lILY. It's also a really cool name. This one's a sea lily too, and I suppose it cradles back and forth while fighting.

Cradle+lily fits with Lily+sleep; these pokémon must have aspects to do with sleep.

Salamence- SALAMander+comMENCE. The mence could also be from menace, but there's room for that A, so probably not. Besides, this has got to be one of the coolest Pokemon names ever. Just say it. You can feel the coolness reverberating off your tongue. Salamence!

Oh, and what sense does "Salamander+commence" make? What is it commencing to do? Pokémon names often miss out a syllable if it makes the name sound awkward.

Metang- METAl+ANGer. Why not Metangst? Metang sounds really... weird. Not bad, but it doesn't sound right at all. Anyways, it's another romanization

No, "Metangu" is the Japanese names; it has been Anglicised into "Metang". Simple as that. Otherwise, it would have been "Metanger" - but it isn't. You're trying to give an English definition for a name that was taken from Japanese and makes no sense in English. It would be like me naming a Kiwi "Tori(Japanese bird)", and then saying, "well, if you say "tori" fast, it sounds like "tree", and Kiwis are ground dwelling birds that inhabit areas where there are lots of trees". It doesn't work.

ronaldmc
6th March 2003, 03:52 PM
So, can anyone make a picture with all the english names, the japanese names and the photos of the pokes? A complete list (135 pokes) without any error, PLZ...
Maybe PK Master Kevin could update the obtainable list... right?

PS: Is that yellow fighting poke named Makuhita and his evo Hariyama??? That sound very japanese for me... Don´t like them, no, no...

Gamefish
6th March 2003, 04:08 PM
I'll keep it simple and give them all their Japanese names, 'cause in some cases, it's a lot better.

Scythemantis
6th March 2003, 05:26 PM
They took the "A" out of menace because Salamence simply sounds better than Salamenace. Word combinations are a bit more clever when they aren't too incredibly obvious.

I actually think Banette is the best ghost pokemon name since duskull, maybe better. Bane-et just sounds great, fits it perfectly and sounds very evil even if you aren't thinking of its meaning. It'd sound evil just as a made-up word.

Hungryrivrhorse - were you replying to me? I think I may have been confusing. What I meant in my post was that rain has everything to do with masquerain, it flies and evolves from a water pokemon.

I just realized something though. Both surskit and masquerain are raindrop-shaped, so the transition from bug/water to bug/flying sorta represents the process by which rain is created. Makes it a little cooler, but I still wish there was a useable bug/water (Anorith, as a sea creature, should've been water type, but they have to stick rock in there to make it a fossil...bah)

Crufidal
6th March 2003, 06:32 PM
I agree, Scythemantis. It was a bit of a let down when I saw the unique combination of water/bug denote itself down to a generic flying/bug. It's still alright as it can learn good water and ice attacks though :yes: And, and.... I really liked Yureidoru but.. Cradily seems so .. un-Yureidoru-like :( And I'd have to disagree with whoever said Lileep was derived from sleep. It isn't sleep related, and more "creep" related, or even "eep" related. Anyone know where the Cra- comes from on Cradily? And I don't really like the name Swampert. To us, we now know it means Swamp + Inert, but to most players it sounds just like a lame suffix.

That's all for now :D

The Rusted One
6th March 2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Crufidal
I agree, Scythemantis. It was a bit of a let down when I saw the unique combination of water/bug denote itself down to a generic flying/bug. It's still alright as it can learn good water and ice attacks though :yes: And, and.... I really liked Yureidoru but.. Cradily seems so .. un-Yureidoru-like :( And I'd have to disagree with whoever said Lileep was derived from sleep. It isn't sleep related, and more "creep" related, or even "eep" related. Anyone know where the Cra- comes from on Cradily? And I don't really like the name Swampert. To us, we now know it means Swamp + Inert, but to most players it sounds just like a lame suffix.

That's all for now :D

"Eep" related? You could try to tell me what "eep" means.
Sleep fits with Cradle; that's where the "crad" in "Cradily" comes from.
"Yureidoru" also has "cradle" in it - "Reidoru" is "radle" from "Cradle". So, they are related to sleep.

soggy_cardboard
7th March 2003, 03:02 AM
spoink..........hehehe thats funny

i like exploud....:D

Scizor Master
7th March 2003, 08:16 AM
Can someone explain to me what Gulpin and Swalot come from? Cuz I don't get those names at all

Azura Stardust
7th March 2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Scizor Master
Can someone explain to me what Gulpin and Swalot come from? Cuz I don't get those names at all

Gulpin - Gulpin' (Gulping) or Gulp In

Swalot - Swallow (as in the verb) [a] Lot

Subzero Morgan
7th March 2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by The Rusted One
"Eep" related? You could try to tell me what "eep" means.
Sleep fits with Cradle; that's where the "crad" in "Cradily" comes from.
"Yureidoru" also has "cradle" in it - "Reidoru" is "radle" from "Cradle". So, they are related to sleep.

*Demonstration*
IT'S A GIANT MAN-EATING PLANT! EEEEEEEEEEP!
*end of demonstration*

Of course, I'm not saying 'eep' has anything to do with it, but that might've been what they were thinking.

What does Yureidorou and it's pre-evolution have to do with sleep? Neither can learn Sleep Powder or Reed Pipe. Since they have vines and creepers, the 'eep' in Lileep and the 'cr' in Cradily would make more sense. Or does 'sleep' have more to do with them being extinct for so long? Being dead could have something to do with being asleep... umm....

I dislike most of these new names. I'll get used to them, but that's not the point. Initial reactions are best, and really, they're terrible. Most are clunky and awkward. When 'Swellow' was released I thought the only possible way they could go was up, but I was obviously wrong.

Grumpig. What on Earth is wrong with those people.

SageofDarkness
7th March 2003, 10:29 AM
I don't like boomanders new name?
I prefered Boomander :no:

Dave
7th March 2003, 12:30 PM
Cradily and Lileep are Sea Lily fossils - They are related to sleep because of that. You revive them from their 'sleep'.

Subzero Morgan
7th March 2003, 02:35 PM
That's what I was thinking, but it's still a pretty tenuous and convoluted link, especially for Cradily.

Cradle --> sleep --> death --> fossil.

And, on a side note, Shedinja makes me think of a ninja shed. The comedy value makes up for the stupid name.

Dave
7th March 2003, 02:40 PM
I was starting to think Shedinja was more like Shedding + Ninja - it looks more like that anyway.

The Rusted One
7th March 2003, 03:47 PM
Yureidoru definitely stems from "kureidoru" (cradle); and "Cradily" stems from the same.

Perhaps "Lileep" doesn't quite have the same connection, but it would make sense.

RyuukoAremi
7th March 2003, 07:01 PM
I always thought Lileep was Lily + Deep (Deep sea, bottom of the ocean).

I'm beginning to warm up to Ludicolo, just as I thought I would eventually. And how do you think it's pronounced? I'm going with Loo-dee-COH-loh, although it could be Loo-DEE-coh-loh. Hmmm...

EDIT: And while Cradily does come from Cradle + Lily, IMO the cradle part has nothing to do with sleep:

cradle
1. The earliest period of life
2. A place of origin; a birthplace: the cradle of civilization.

Cradle probably refers to it being extremely old and being around during the earliest period of life. To me, it makes much more sense then a connection to sleep. A cradle in that sense is a bed for infants, and TO cradle is to care for or nurture in infancy. Oh yeah, goes with Cradily SOOO much.

EDIT2: Ludic (the word, and from ludicrous) is pronounced LOO-dik. And they obviously wanted a spanish flare, so the O's have a 'OH' sound (the most similar to the spanish pronunciation of it). So it's be pronounced loo-dee-coh-loh, the only possible differentiations are with having the emphasis on different syllables. So it's either loo-DEE-coh-loh or loo-dee-COH-loh. I prefer the latter, but you never know.

Everoy
7th March 2003, 07:07 PM
I though it was Lu-duh-COL-oh.

The Rusted One
7th March 2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by RyuukoAremi
I always thought Lileep was Lily + Deep (Deep sea, bottom of the ocean).

I'm beginning to warm up to Ludicolo, just as I thought I would eventually. And how do you think it's pronounced? I'm going with Loo-dee-COH-loh, although it could be Loo-DEE-coh-loh. Hmmm...

EDIT: And while Cradily does come from Cradle + Lily, IMO the cradle part has nothing to do with sleep:

cradle
1. The earliest period of life
2. A place of origin; a birthplace: the cradle of civilization.

Cradle probably refers to it being extremely old and being around during the earliest period of life. To me, it makes much more sense then a connection to sleep. A cradle in that sense is a bed for infants, and TO cradle is to care for or nurture in infancy. Oh yeah, goes with Cradily SOOO much.

The earliest period of life would not be talking about life in general; it would be talking about in the life of a particular individual. You can have a "cradle of life" in terms of the place where the earliest varieties of life formed, but that wouldn't fit.

If it was supposed to be connected with old and the past, why "Cradle"?

Is Cradily the earliest form of life? No. If Cradle were to be used in that context, it would fit better on Lileep; Lileep has "eep", which is contained in "sleep", and "Cradily" has "Crad" from "Cradle" - both are to do with sleep. If there is a better explanation for both, I'd like to hear it.

Bug Catcher Daniel
7th March 2003, 07:28 PM
i think its pronounced: loo-DEE-coh-loh, its more spanish-like that way(cus of sum spanish grammar rulz) so yeah... i've started liking this name!!! woohoo! at last a hispanic pokemon ;)

Vanilla Thunder
7th March 2003, 08:29 PM
Hmmm. I've been pronouncing Ludicolo as "loo - deh - coh - loh," with the "deh" being pronounced as in "ludicrous," rhyming with the the word "eh." Rolls right off the tongue that way.

On another note, Masquerain is wordalicious. It may be Bug/Flying, but it's still very unique in that its arsenal of attacks includes plenty of Water and Ice-type moves, something most Bug-types would love to have.

Torkoal comes from "tortoise" and "charcoal," not some romanization of the Japanese name.

And in response to somebody's question earlier (Bug Catcher Daniel?), a dumb bell is what you use to PUMP UP YOUR MUSCLES. Which reminds me, my workout bench downstairs has been gathering dust recently... damn Pokemon, why do they have to be so damn addictively cool?!?

RyuukoAremi
7th March 2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by The Rusted One
The earliest period of life would not be talking about life in general; it would be talking about in the life of a particular individual. You can have a "cradle of life" in terms of the place where the earliest varieties of life formed, but that wouldn't fit.

If it was supposed to be connected with old and the past, why "Cradle"?

Is Cradily the earliest form of life? No. If Cradle were to be used in that context, it would fit better on Lileep; Lileep has "eep", which is contained in "sleep", and "Cradily" has "Crad" from "Cradle" - both are to do with sleep. If there is a better explanation for both, I'd like to hear it.

IMO, my explanation makes a LOT more sense than the sleep one. So there's your 'better explanation'. Cradily looks nothing like a cradle, and cradle really has little to do with sleeping and more with caring and nurturing.

And ludicrous is pronounced loo-dih-crus, with the 'dih' being like the 'di in 'dip'. You can even look at the dictionary's pronunciation. There is no 'deh' sound.

The Rusted One
7th March 2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by RyuukoAremi
IMO, my explanation makes a LOT more sense than the sleep one. So there's your 'better explanation'. Cradily looks nothing like a cradle, and cradle really has little to do with sleeping and more with caring and nurturing.

Well, I guess my knowledge of babies sleeping in them is wrong. Who knew? Oh, that's right, you did.

I wouldn't regard that as a better explanation - for in that, you haven't got a convincing statement linking the "eep" and "crad"; I have. I guess your opinion is your opinion though.

Dave
8th March 2003, 07:15 AM
I don't know where they came from (but I personally still agree with the sleep thing - haven't the fossils in pokemon games always been talked about in game as being asleep for thousands of years?), but I've now realised why they won't be the other way round - Riirira and Yureidoru - as someone has said, reidoru comesfrom kureidoru = cradle, and I think riirira = Leelila = Lileep. Not a romanisation, just a following of the same pattern.

And Vanilla Thunder, I didn't mean that torkoal was a romanisation, i was just saying it followed exactly the same pattern as the japanese name (Kootas (Coatoise?) - Torkoal).

Totodilemew
8th March 2003, 08:27 AM
Well....I just have to say I like all of the english names, I prefer some Japanese names though. I especially prefer Tatsubei over Bagon. It reminds me of bacon or something....