PDA

View Full Version : simple plan

Piff man
5th October 2005, 10:14 AM
I love simple plan. Does anyone here like simple plan?

Sarcastic Assassin
7th October 2005, 09:16 PM
no.

Knight of Time
7th October 2005, 09:21 PM
I've listened to Simple Plan before.

One of my favourite songs of theirs is Welcome to my Life.

Anyone like that song besides me?

Systematic Revolution
8th October 2005, 12:52 AM
no.

Magmar
8th October 2005, 01:00 AM
No, no, no and again, no.

Though that "I'm just a kid and my life is a nightmare" got stuck in my head one day, thank you top 40 station at work. I wanted to rip my face off. Then my headphones broke and I had that obnoxious tune playing in the back of my head while I sat through a lecture. Fucking gorgeous.

Gavin Luper
8th October 2005, 02:59 AM
Simple Plan = whiny, annoying, soppy and try-hardish. I can't stand their continued existence as a band.

Cheers!

Crazy
8th October 2005, 06:18 AM
Well the songs I've heard by them made me want to sue them for ear damage.

Devil
8th October 2005, 08:42 AM
My opinion is that all of the people who like bands like Simple Plan, Green Day, Sum 41, Blink182, Good Charlotte, Limp Bizkit and other miserable pathetic loser who pretend to be rockers, should be banished from the world we live in and burn in the fires of Hell.

Deus Mortuorum
8th October 2005, 10:53 AM
Green Day is a poser band? Since when?

And I don't think Limp Bizkit even exists anymore...

Oh, and as for Simple Plan...*shrug* I saw a video where they were playing on top of a roof in the rain. Yeah, good luck with that.

Devil
8th October 2005, 06:42 PM
Green Day is a poser band? Since when?

And I don't think Limp Bizkit even exists anymore...

Oh, and as for Simple Plan...*shrug* I saw a video where they were playing on top of a roof in the rain. Yeah, good luck with that.

They are posers since they started playing.

I'm not sure if they still exist, but unfortnatly, people still listen to them.

Arnen
8th October 2005, 06:55 PM
Simple Plan makes me want to gag. I didn't like them before I even knew who they were, simply because all the poser "punk" people at school listens to them.

Also, I heard someone mention Good Charlotte, and I would simple like to state, WTF is wrong with them? My sister listens to them constantly, and I happened to catch a painful earful of a song with a cheery, upbeat tune and lyrics that go something like, "the best day of my life is the day that I die." Oh, boo-hoo, you're a bunch of 20-something-year-olds pretending to be angsty teenagers. You've got an assload of money because you have angsty emo fans who buy your crummy music, you must have it soooo hard :rolleyes:

Dark Scizor
8th October 2005, 09:58 PM
Also, I heard someone mention Good Charlotte, and I would simple like to state, WTF is wrong with them? My sister listens to them constantly, and I happened to catch a painful earful of a song with a cheery, upbeat tune and lyrics that go something like, "the best day of my life is the day that I die." Oh, boo-hoo, you're a bunch of 20-something-year-olds pretending to be angsty teenagers. You've got an assload of money because you have angsty emo fans who buy your crummy music, you must have it soooo hard :rolleyes:

Good Charlotte make me want to slit my wrists they're so bad. Same goes for a lot of bands like Greenday, Blink etc.

Arnen
8th October 2005, 10:00 PM
Good Charlotte make me want to slit my wrists they're so bad. Same goes for a lot of bands like Greenday, Blink etc.

Yep. It seems like punk and emo have suddenly merged into one gigantic pile of crap.

Magmar
9th October 2005, 12:49 PM
Nobody has the right to call these bands "posers" as it is the people who listen to only them and consider themselves punk rockers who are the posers. I love Green Day, Sum-41, and yes, I like a few Good Charlotte songs. I'm 19 years old, in a kickass band and have more good friends than you have fingers and toes. I've been to dozens of concerts by a variety of bands from different genres within "rock" and met so many amazing people, I'm an honors student in college, but I guess liking Green Day for the last 10 years of my life makes me a poser. I'll go slit my wrists now like all the other people who like Green Day do, because I'm such a conformist for listening to music that I like. Because, as everybody knows, labels are the most important thing in society. I really, really care what a bunch of assholes on a message board will think of me now, because I came out of the closet as a flaming emo tight pants wearing homosexual who listens to omgoshno Blink-182. I think I should tell my girlfriend that before I commit suicide.

I'd jump you if you ever tried to label me anything, especially a "poser." I'd destroy you in a moshpit. Like the one at Social Distortion the other night. Oh I like Social-D, you can call me "scene" now or whatever else you can think of.

The day you see me in tight pants is my funeral day. That'll also be the day I paint my nails and put on eyeliner.

God, I hate kids.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to say from a much nicer and basic perspective is that it's okay to like pop rock. Who gives a shit what other people like, does it concern you? NO. I like a lot of underground stuff, primarily 80's-90's punk (sue me) but I like alternative rock also. You know, stuff like Jimmy Eat World. Better than Ezra. Incubus. Stuff like that. Stuff that you might... oh my god not that word... hear on the radio. Because not everything you hear on the radio is bad. Like the Offspring. Revis. Thrice. YES THRICE. Go ahead and gasp and shit your pants. But you'll never see me wearing a t-shirt any smaller than an oversized medium.

...some of it is horrible, I won't lie about that. And I don't like Simple Plan. I listen to what makes me happy. Simple Plan does nothing for me but give me a headache.

Dark Scizor
9th October 2005, 01:47 PM
To each his own.

Magmar
9th October 2005, 02:25 PM
To each his own.

Bingo.

Devil
9th October 2005, 03:39 PM
I don't really give a sh*t for what you listen to, I just said my opinion.

Crazy
9th October 2005, 05:05 PM
Nobody has the right to call these bands "posers".

Well, technically we do. I do see what you're saying however.

Magmar
10th October 2005, 12:59 PM
I don't really give a sh*t for what you listen to, I just said my opinion.

Hear, hear, mr. 13 posts.

Devil
12th October 2005, 06:23 AM
Hear, hear, mr. 13 posts.

Dude, you're 19 year old. You like Pokemon. And you are active member on Pokemon Forums. Loser.

vegetrunks
18th October 2005, 04:48 PM
I'm not really interested in Simple Plan, that song they did "Shut Up" is absolutely awful, but I would not lump Green Day in there with them, they make good music who cares how many times their vids are on MTV or how annoying their fans are.

Even Blink 182 deserve some credit, although they have put out some absolute crap I thought their last album was pretty good, especially Go and Stockholm Syndrome

AntiAsh Superstar
22nd October 2005, 11:33 AM
Simple Plan are... listenable to, as in if I'm doing something and they come on I'm not really too fussed about changing the channel... and *gasp* they actually do have one single, solitary song that I actually quite like, namely 'Me Against the World', which sounds like latter-day American Hi-Fi when they were trying to sound like The Living End. XD

I wouldn't lump Sum 41 and Green Day in with the likes of Simple Plan and Good Charlotte tho, Green Day are musically sound (tho live do admittedly come across as more entertainers than musicians) and gosh, Sum 41 actually became quite good after their first two Blink 182 ripoff albums. :O

Silv
16th November 2005, 03:22 PM
I really, really care what a bunch of assholes on a message board will think of me

Apparently, you do, if you're going on such a limb to prove yourself cool to everyone.

Nobody has the right to call these bands "posers" as it is the people who listen to only them and consider themselves punk rockers who are the posers. I love Green Day, Sum-41, and yes, I like a few Good Charlotte songs. I'm 19 years old, in a kickass band and have more good friends than you have fingers and toes. I've been to dozens of concerts by a variety of bands from different genres within "rock" and met so many amazing people, I'm an honors student in college, but I guess liking Green Day for the last 10 years of my life makes me a poser.

I'm in no position to insult a regular...and I do dig your Salad Fingers avatar, but being in a band, having a lot of friends, and being a college honors student has nothing to do with anything. I personally hate all the bands listed. And you like them. So what if no one else does? I don't give a **** what you listen to, as long as you don't force me to listen to it. Most of my friends hate my music and I hate theirs. I hear people insulting the music I listen to every day. I just don't bother trying to get a point across to such people because the thing is, they'll never see the music the way I do.

Point is, if you like the bands, and are really secure with yourself, then you've got nothing to prove to other people.

Sceptile_Master
16th November 2005, 04:15 PM
Dude, you're 19 year old. You like Pokemon. And you are active member on Pokemon Forums. Loser.

Just shut up man. Shows how mature you are. Mabye you should go and learn to be more mature and investigate things before you post a slur of crap.

Anyhoo on the topic subject, I don't think I've heard them. This girl I'm friends with likes them. She said she wants to show me them. Meaning I can't comment on simple plan. But ont he subject of other bands. There is a difference between good bands and bands you like. You can like a crap band but it doesn't mean they aren't crap. Fact. But anyhoo on musically soundness. Green Day have a few songs that are in the term, 'musically sound' but just a couple. Lol I remember that song they nicked from the kinks, what was it called again, anyhoo i prefered greendays lrics fr that anyhoo ^_^.

Anyways I'll admit if a band I like are crap or not. But my damn musical ear makes me like most bands I like because of them being musically sound. No one else seems to though.

Heald
16th November 2005, 04:41 PM
Whiny band that appeal to girls and punk rockers who are into stupid pseudo-emo shit. I wouldn't mind so much if they actually had some talent but their music to just dire. Avoid.

Silv
17th November 2005, 01:20 PM
Problem is, bands these days lack originality. Once you've seen one music video on MTV, you've seen em' all. And some may have lyrics that look good on paper, but when they actually play the song, it takes so much away from them. That's why when somebody tells me to listen to one of their favorite bands, I usually just say no, or at least warn them that I won't like it. The last time someone played me music that actually surprised me was about two years ago, with Lacuna Coil. Other than that, it just doesn't work for me.

I prefer classical music to any genre anyway.

Magmar
20th November 2005, 10:32 AM
Ohhhhh for an awesome music video, check out Vendetta Red's "Silhouette Serenade", not every day you see Medusa Madonna and don't get turned to stone and castrated.

Edit: who says I like Pokemon? :biggrin: The hell if I care if you think I do or don't, anyway. I was just pickin' fights :rolleyes:

Gengachu
7th December 2005, 05:13 PM
No offense, but Simple Plan isn't very good at all. Their songs are kind of catchy, but they don't have much substance to them. There's very little that puts them above pop stars like Britney Spears. I wouldn't even say they're punk-pop, and they're certainly not emo. I guess you could do worse, but there are so many better bands than Simple Plan. If you want some good pop, listen to the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Fountains of Wayne, Self, Weezer. Not Simple Plan.

Craig
15th December 2005, 02:31 AM
SHARKS DON'T LIKE SIMPLE PLAN

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/6391/simple13tl.jpg

NEITHER SHOULD YOU

RARRGH

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/9005/simple21vp.jpg

TONY SOPRANO SAYS

"Anyone who listens to Simple Plan has shitty taste in music."

AND THATS A FACT.

Crystal Mew
16th December 2005, 04:36 AM
rofl craig.

Um...I only like that one song by simple plan, "untitled" or whatever its called. I like it cause it sounds nothing like their other songs, haha

imo, simple plans sounds awful...besides that one song. I had one of their songs stuck in my head the other day, ALL DAY. talk about an annoying day.

forget which song it was though.

Crazy
19th December 2005, 12:59 PM
Craig you've given me even more reasons to dislike simple plan. Lol.

Heald
19th December 2005, 05:44 PM
If anything Untitled is their WORST song. It is even more emo than the rest of their songs.

HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I'M SLITTING MY WRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISTS
GOODBYE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD
we really do have very small penises.

Sceptile_Master
19th December 2005, 07:12 PM
Lmfao. Can't really remember many of there songs as I try and block out all of there songs after I hear them. But that sounds too emo too take. All I remember is hating them lol.

Crystal Mew
19th December 2005, 11:29 PM
well, I only liked it cause of the music video. at the time my old best friends sister had just died in a car accident due to a drunk driver, which it is supposed to be about. so yeahhh

phaedrus
31st December 2005, 03:23 PM
Simple Plan reeks of douchebaggery. No offense or anything. But seriously, they suck. Kid punk was so ten years ago. It's all about Acoustic/Indie/Alternative, though not Mars Volta alternative, obviously. Obviously, I'm talking about Wilco. And electric Dylan era. Those are the best, ever.

Moral of this Story: Simple Plan sucks.

PNT510
5th January 2006, 07:36 PM
[b]Of course everyone here dislikes Simple Plan, Simple Plan is music marketed to 12 year old girls. Asking a bunch of teenagers/young adults here if they like Simple Plan is like asking a bunch of middle aged men if they enjoy playing with barbies.

Heald
6th January 2006, 10:33 AM
It isn't that we don't like Simple Plan, it is just that Simple Plan have no talent whatsoever.

Magmar
6th January 2006, 11:01 AM
I usually get offended when people start bashing music.

But yes. I concur. I never liked this band.

Edit: I went to check out their lyrics, see if they literally are that bad, And guess what was on the lyrics page. A cover. Of American Jesus. By Bad Religion.

Simple Plan... covering Bad Religion... umm... that definitely should NOT be happening.

darktyranitar
7th January 2006, 07:48 AM
I have nothing against them. And my 15 years old sister like them...

Haha, nice pics and descriptions, Craig! :biggrin:

rinni the bard
27th January 2006, 02:44 PM
If anything Untitled is their WORST song. It is even more emo than the rest of their songs.

THAT's Simple Plan? (I'm out of the loop.) The only other song I heard by them is "Welcome To My Life," and that's also just... ew. That guy is SO whiny I want to give him a eucalyptus coughdrop to clear his sinuses and see if he stops whining. I made fun of "Welcome To My Life" at work last week in front of a customer and he was trying not to laugh but finally had to agree with me. It was great. :D

But, as was said earlier, to each his own. This just isn't... my own. :P

Sceptile_Master
27th January 2006, 07:53 PM
[b]Of course everyone here dislikes Simple Plan, Simple Plan is music marketed to 12 year old girls. Asking a bunch of teenagers/young adults here if they like Simple Plan is like asking a bunch of middle aged men if they enjoy playing with barbies.

One of my 16 year old friends likes them. She likes alot of music like that. You know talentless stuff, good charlotte and the likes. I think that good charlotte have influenced her to get tatoos. Man they are all gonna regret it when they are older and the realise that they are stuck with a body splatterred in emo hearts and stuff lol.

Gengachu
17th February 2006, 05:49 PM
They aren't talentless, guys. I don't really mind them that much. I just don't think there music is worth listening to.

PancaKe
13th April 2006, 07:39 AM
Simple Plan/Greenday/Good Charlotte = sell out bands. targeted at 15 years and below.

Hawthorne Heights/From First to Last/My Chemical Romance/The Used = sell out emo screaming whiney angst bands. targeted at a bunch of emo teenagers that relate to every word about death because theyre all practically dead themselves.

Aside from that.
Music is what you want it to be.
Like what you want.
Its your freaking choice.

But if you ask if others like a band, and they give you a honest opinion, dont tell them theyre stupid.

Honestly, threads that go "do you like simple plan/greenday" and get replies of "no because of this" and then go around crying and abusing the people who said no are just dumb. If you ask a question, your going to get an answer. Dont ask the question if you dont want the answer.

I dont like simple plan.
Why?
They whine.
If i wanted good whining I'd go listen to emo/screamo.

kthanksbye

Heald
13th April 2006, 07:56 AM
Simple Plan/Greenday/Good Charlotte = sell out bands. targeted at 15 years and below.

Hawthorne Heights/From First to Last/My Chemical Romance/The Used = sell out emo screaming whiney angst bands. targeted at a bunch of emo teenagers that relate to every word about death because theyre all practically dead themselves.

Aside from that.
Like what you want.

But if you ask if others like a band, and they give you a honest opinion, dont tell them theyre stupid.

Honestly, threads that go "do you like simple plan/greenday" and get replies of "no because of this" and then go around crying and abusing the people who said no are just dumb. If you ask a question, your going to get an answer. Dont ask the question if you dont want the answer.

I dont like simple plan.
Why?
They whine.

kthanksbye
I couldn't agree more. Limed for truth.

PancaKe
13th April 2006, 09:41 PM
Hahahaha lol.
I forgot about the limed for truth thing. When i saw my post quoted I was like, "but I didn't post it lime!"

eh.
nothing more to say.
Threads like this arent really original anymore.

It makes me wonder as well, do the people posting actually like Simple Plan? Or are they doing it just to pick fights?

Gengachu
14th April 2006, 05:33 PM

Aside from that.
Like what you want.

I dont like simple plan.
Why?
They whine.

kthanksbye
I agree with most of what you're saying, but Green Day's actually a pretty good band. Granted, they're not a favorite of mine, but Nimrod and Warning are great albums, and American Idiot is pretty good, too, even if it is kinda overrated. I'm not a big fan of their earlier albums, but I think that the last three were pretty creative and far better than most of the genre. I'll agree that it gets annoying when people who've hardly heard any music try to say their the best band ever, but they aren't sellouts and they're worth listening to every once and a while.

I really doubt any of those bands sold out. It's just the kind of music they like to play. I'm not a fan of any of the others, but to sell out you have to be making music that wasn't particularly accessible in the first place. None of them really fall under that description. The Offspring sold out. Metallica sold out. Green Day and My Chemical Romance were commercial from the start. Being commercial isn't necessarily a bad thing, per say, but if you don't start out making music that people will eat up, you can't really sell out. Besides, whether or not a band are "sellouts" shouldn't affect whether you like their music or not. The music should speak for itself.

Zak
14th April 2006, 10:05 PM

So THAT's where that "emo song" from YTMND comes from!

PancaKe
16th April 2006, 02:42 AM
I agree with most of what you're saying, but Green Day's actually a pretty good band. Granted, they're not a favorite of mine, but Nimrod and Warning are great albums, and American Idiot is pretty good, too, even if it is kinda overrated. I'm not a big fan of their earlier albums, but I think that the last three were pretty creative and far better than most of the genre. I'll agree that it gets annoying when people who've hardly heard any music try to say their the best band ever, but they aren't sellouts and they're worth listening to every once and a while.

I really doubt any of those bands sold out. It's just the kind of music they like to play. I'm not a fan of any of the others, but to sell out you have to be making music that wasn't particularly accessible in the first place. None of them really fall under that description. The Offspring sold out. Metallica sold out. Green Day and My Chemical Romance were commercial from the start. Being commercial isn't necessarily a bad thing, per say, but if you don't start out making music that people will eat up, you can't really sell out. Besides, whether or not a band are "sellouts" shouldn't affect whether you like their music or not. The music should speak for itself.

I'm not denying Green Day had some good songs. I like some of green days older stuff.
But its just basically my opinion. When a band becomes sellouts to a bunch of twelve and thirteen year old hardxcore girls, they piss me off.

I guess I don't really have an issue with the music (okay, with simple plan i do but thats a different matter), but I more have an issue with the followings and the way a person gets judged when they say that their favourite band is green day/good charlotte/my chemical romance/the used/etc. You get the story.

phaedrus
16th April 2006, 05:46 PM
the point is:

punk music died when Joe Strummer and the Clash did.

simple as that. punk died.

Gengachu
17th April 2006, 12:19 PM
I'm not denying Green Day had some good songs. I like some of green days older stuff.
But its just basically my opinion. When a band becomes sellouts to a bunch of twelve and thirteen year old hardxcore girls, they piss me off.

I guess I don't really have an issue with the music (okay, with simple plan i do but thats a different matter), but I more have an issue with the followings and the way a person gets judged when they say that their favourite band is green day/good charlotte/my chemical romance/the used/etc. You get the story.
Green Day was pretty much always like that, and that's always the audience they appealed to, though. Back whenever Dookie came out, every kid was dying their hair like Green Day did, and When I Come Around, Longview, and Basket Case were about as popular as singles from American Idiot. You've probably just noticed it more, because you've gotten older. Whether you like to admit it, you were probably one of those 13 year old fans that turn you away from the group now.

And yeah, The Clash>all other punk except maybe the Sex Pistols, but that's not the point.

Systematic Revolution
21st April 2006, 03:48 PM
Well... I am inclined to put in my two cents. I already stated earlier that I do not like Simple Plan, however it would be better of me to actually use some reasoning.

1. They sound like every other punk/emo band out there.
2. Their guitarists have very little talent and would never have made it if they tried to start out in the 80s
3. They whine like emo faggots.
4. They write songs that inspire people to perform self mutilation.
5. The only reason that they even have a job is due to their adoration amongst 5-15 year olds.
6. Their drummer is mediocre at best.
7. Can you even HEAR the bass? No. It's all clashing cymbals and discordant melodies and chords.
8. They go out of their way to be different, and they have that whole "punk" attitude. However, they sound just like every other punk and emo band out there and are, therefore, just like all the others. Punk is dead. The whole purpose of punk was to make a statement against the system--not go along with it. They play Les Pauls and Marshall amps. Woo, that's bloody original right there. I don't have a problem with Les Pauls and Marshalls but if they are so damn different, why not try something.. Oh I don't know... Better?
9. A lot of their songs sound the same.
10. Guitar solo? What the hell is that?

This applies to nearly every punk and emo band out there. Don't get your panties in a wad--it's the truth. If you can't handle it... Oh well.

Punk died with The Ramones. RIP guys...

However, the Sex Pistols are making a comeback and The Clash is rumoured to reform and tour again.

Gengachu
21st April 2006, 05:07 PM
I really hope the Clash don't get back together. Nobody could replace Andy.

phaedrus
21st April 2006, 10:40 PM
you mean Joe? the eternally awesome?

anyways, they've all gone their separate ways. paul simonon is a painter, topper is serving time, and who knows what mick does now. hah. good luck getting that lot back together.

the glory days of punk are over. :cry:

edit:

7. Can you even HEAR the bass? No. It's all clashing cymbals and discordant melodies and chords.

are you dissing jazz and 20th century aleatoric music? blasphemous!

MeLoVeGhOsTs
22nd April 2006, 04:27 AM
Punk is not dead. I play in a punk band and we don't play 4 chord'ed emo songs, with a mild intro, medium verse and heavy chorus, no. It's all about beer, songs against the system (ie: Kick the nazi scum from our streets) and playing them as fast as possible.

Punk is not dead, but it's glory days are over, sadly.

Respect to the Ramones, Rancid, Funeral Dress, The Vandals and many more.

EDIT: Fuck Sum41, Simple Plan, Blink182 and that crap. That's not punk.

phaedrus
22nd April 2006, 12:32 PM
Punk is not dead. I play in a punk band and we don't play 4 chord'ed emo songs, with a mild intro, medium verse and heavy chorus, no. It's all about beer, songs against the system (ie: Kick the nazi scum from our streets) and playing them as fast as possible.

that's called folk protest music with a lot of distortion. or, in other words, alt-country.

Systematic Revolution
22nd April 2006, 03:29 PM
Country hardly goes against the system. I guess you haven't heard much country. Country music nowadays is mainly about how terrible the war is and how great Bush is. Contradictions galore.

Gengachu
22nd April 2006, 10:08 PM
you mean Joe? the eternally awesome?*hits head on wall* Yeah. For some reason I always want to call him by that other name, though. My best friend would kill me if she knew that. Hehe.

phaedrus
23rd April 2006, 11:03 AM
Country hardly goes against the system. I guess you haven't heard much country. Country music nowadays is mainly about how terrible the war is and how great Bush is. Contradictions galore.

alt-country is far far far far far from regular country. there is a massive separation. think of it as Woody Guthrie With Distortion or as Woody Guthrie Makes You Cry.

alt-country is entirely different. too bad the genre places it akin to country...

Gengachu
23rd April 2006, 07:59 PM
I haven't been too impressed with the alt-country I've heard. Wilco sseems pretty mediocre to me. Don't really see much connection to country music, though.

phaedrus
23rd April 2006, 11:12 PM
i admit, Wilco is hard to get into. you have a first listen and you have a resounding "wtf" running through, but then, once you listen to it a few times, you realize "this is completely awesome." it happens to most people.

i wasn't praising alt-country. it's one of those "mood" genres where you just have to want alt-country at a certain time. that being said, though, Uncle Tupelo and Golden Smog are the best alt-country bands of all time. i would spin them any time.

Magmar
24th April 2006, 06:19 AM
the point is:

punk music died when Joe Strummer and the Clash did.

simple as that. punk died.

The punk *SCENE* died. there's some good bands making the music still. you can't possibly argue that bad religion, rancid etc. are not good punk rock bands. I love punk rock and ska; they're pretty much all I listen to, all I've ever listened to, and it's what my parents liked when I grew up too (but I'm open to new sounds). I think I know a bit about punk.

To be honest, my favorite punk is the Ramones, not the Clash. "Sheena is a punk rocker", that's my jam! :D

is this thread still going on? yeesh.

I hated green day when I was younger, because they were playing them on the cd player when I put my braces on and I could taste the cement whenever I heard their songs. Now I like them again.

However, a band is sellouts when you walk by Claire's and one can see their face on notebooks, etc. in the store. THAT is the selling out point.

When I was 12-13, my favorite band was Face to Face. Shame they never made it out of the underground (Besides one single appearing on Buffy the vampire slut).

Sceptile_Master
24th April 2006, 07:34 AM
But the Ramones are the best punk band EVER. The clash don't even match up. But anyhoo systematic revolutions 2 cents are very true.

phaedrus
24th April 2006, 03:10 PM
Punk is playing what you want to play, not root-fifth-octaves with a fuzz box. and playing a pawnshop guitar doesn't make you punk.

no one understands punk anymore....... :(:(:(:(:(

Sceptile_Master
24th April 2006, 03:28 PM
Exactly. I always use the root-5th-octaved thing. Yeah they are widley used and that's cool and everything but they aren't ment to have rythms made up from them when they aren't even in the same key. Urggh it's horrible.

phaedrus
24th April 2006, 03:41 PM
the point is, you can rhythm with riffs, which is a billion times cooler. or at least have a sense of harmony and play bar chords, seriously.

edit: what is with people and selling out? if they're good, they're good...seriously. you shouldn't stop liking them because too many people like them. you should stop liking them when they suck ass. it's more logical to me, anyways.

Magmar
24th April 2006, 05:01 PM
if you sound good to the person, you're good music.

i still think selling your face at claire's is selling out for a punk band.

Sceptile_Master
24th April 2006, 05:05 PM
Correction: If you sound good to the people then they like you. It doesn't mean you son't suck ass. I mean I can admit if I like bad band. There still bad though. Being bad and liking them are 2 different things.

phaedrus
24th April 2006, 05:09 PM
it's just the concept of "selling out" that irks me. so what if they plaster their face about your world? they're just making money that they don't deserve.

PancaKe
26th April 2006, 06:54 AM
I think that labeling music things such as "punk" "emo" "thrash" "hardcore" "metal" blah blah is just too picky and choosy. You ask one person, greenday are punk. You ask another, they're not. You ask one person, MCR is punk. Ask another, and theyre all of a sudden emo.

Nobody wins.
yet everybody tries to.

Sceptile_Master
26th April 2006, 02:45 PM
And then it turns out genres are chosen by musical scales, technqiue and pogressions. Some people don't know that. After studying alot of musical theory I can say alot about genres. But all ina llk I can't be bothered going into right now. I end with this. Talent > Simple Plan.

phaedrus
26th April 2006, 03:04 PM
Everything > Simple Plan.

fixed it for you.

Magmar
26th April 2006, 10:43 PM
i like punk and ska. period.

i think selling out for ANYONE is being available on notebook covers in claire's and selling it for money when you're a music group. it's just... weird. and creepy. i don't care if vendetta red starts selling notebooks with zach davidson's face on it, i wouldn't buy that shit

PancaKe
26th April 2006, 11:43 PM
I try not to say things like "i like emo music." and 'i really like punk/metal/etc"
It's easier just to list bands, then people get a fair idea of what kinda sound you like.

Sceptile_Master
27th April 2006, 04:05 AM
I'll listen to any kind of music of any genre. Seriously. As long as I see musical prowess given out by the artist then I like them because I find I appreciate music that meets that criteria of any genre. Particular genres that are my least favourite though are dance, rap and pop. Top faves of mine include classic rock and metal (thrash metal is my fave kind). But all in all if someone asks you what bands you like then just tell them. Cause if you like them, unless your in your stage of musical decidance (when your still refining your tastes) then that probably isn't going to change anytime soon. I'm not really bothered what bands people like and respect their choices but it's when stuff that is complete crap by fact and not opinion gets false applause and stuff like that (especially when it is blatantly awarded over the classics of legends) really pisses me off.

That rock 100 (whatever channel it was on, I think it was MTVs or something)is a good example, it almost has me completely scitzing out at it. Number 2 was 'one' by 'metallica' which is fair enough. It's a beautifully composed peace. It has inventive lyrics with james hetfields brilliant touch of styling on it. Some classic lead guitar work. It beatifully blends between scales as does each note. It then runs down with some fast double bass hits and the lgendary kirk hammett solo. It's full of meaning and soul. I couldn't wait for number 1 after that. But then what I saw insulted me greatly. It... was... Green Day - American Idiot. They could have at least chosen a different green day track to lower the insult. It's not even close one of the proper songs on the album. It has repeating riff made of 3 cliched 5th root octaves. And basically that's it unless you count in the solo which isn't a solo really unless you count moving your finger up and down one string a solo. Give it some crappy badly written tag along george bush hate style lyrics and that's american idiot. It's nothing short of one of green days biggest failure, I remember when they used to churn out proper punk songs. Especially when putting 'one' 2nd to it raises the insult to tremendous heights. I'm not even going to speak further on this matter. Not that I think 'one' deserves first place but it's a beatiful classic and I didn't mind at all seeing it at number 2, but even grouping american idiot anywhere near or over any song of the kind of it should in reality condemn the music channel to hell.

phaedrus
29th April 2006, 12:02 PM
well, firstly, it's a two stringed octave solo, as in my lowly punk days (i evolve quickly) i learned that song.

i do agree if it's musical i'll listen too it. it just so happens that most or all of the rap (the exception i've found is kanye west), emo, punk (the clash being the general exception) and metal that i hear is so unmusical, redundant, and retarded, that i never listen to them.

of course, i listen to the best genre of music. classical music. nothing can compete with Saint-Saen's Introducione a Rondo Capriccio.

PancaKe
1st May 2006, 04:06 AM
I just dont like rap.
If i wanted to hear people talking about their problems with a beat I'd be a councilor at a nightclub.
However,
i listen to people scream and whine their problems with distortion these days. So I cant really complain.

Hatake Kakashi
1st May 2006, 08:12 PM
you mean Joe? the eternally awesome?

anyways, they've all gone their separate ways. paul simonon is a painter, topper is serving time, and who knows what mick does now. hah. good luck getting that lot back together.

the glory days of punk are over. :cry:

edit:

are you dissing jazz and 20th century aleatoric music? blasphemous!

Jazz doesn't require the bass to be heard. Rock(especially punk and metal) is very dependent on a good bassline.

I've never heard any aleatoric and judging from the Wiki entry I doubt I'd like it.

And Sceptile_Master: it was MTV. Of course something like American Idiot(not terrible, but Green Days done WAY better than that.)

Hatake Kakashi
1st May 2006, 08:18 PM
I couldn't agree more. Limed for truth.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Wheneve someone says they don't like Nirvana, I shrug and say "Ok." I don't mind at all. Well, unless their reasoning is "They suck."
Nothing annoys me more than music snobs who randomly turn on a band they used to love because it isn't cool.

Well, except indy freaks who insist if you've heard of a band it sucks.

Sceptile_Master
1st May 2006, 08:44 PM
i do agree if it's musical i'll listen too it. it just so happens that most or all of the rap (the exception i've found is kanye west), emo, punk (the clash being the general exception) and metal that i hear is so unmusical, redundant, and retarded, that i never listen to them.

of course, i listen to the best genre of music. classical music. nothing can compete with Saint-Saen's Introducione a Rondo Capriccio.

Actually the metal genre is highly based on classical music. It is extremely musical. Although most metal bands that have started in after the 90s screw it up big style. The 90s had some great metalists such as Opeth and Pantera but I find the greatest metal was produced during the 80s. But all in all if you know where to look you'll find it can be greatly musical. But on the subject of classical music. It's high up there. You just got to love it. You can never get tired of classical music. Although I don't know many classical musicians so I just listen to lots of random classical music I find because I just overall like the majority of the songs in the genre. I might need some recommendations for classical musicians (hint, hint).

Gengachu
2nd May 2006, 07:59 PM
The Ramones are good, but too many of their songs sound alike. They should've learned how to play something besides power chords. I really like some of their songs, but I can't stand listening to an entire album of theirs, because ideas always start repeating before it's over.

I agree with Pancake about the labeling music thing. If someone wants to know what I listen to, I always try to mention bands(especially considering that there aren't really any styles that I don't like), and then describe them if they're not familiar with them.