PDA

View Full Version : A few Questions

Charles Legend
11th October 2005, 07:00 PM
1.How did you go about choosing which wild pokémon showed up in your fic?
Did you do a lot of research in to the real world counter parts that live in, the area you based your fic in, that’s if your fic was based off of a real world counter part.

2. Would any one here read a fanfic that has a few trainers who have some sort of Disabilities?

Because It seems to me that most fanfics I have read deal with just quote normal people, and people with a Disability are largely ignored. Yeah just like in the real world…

I for one think it would be high time for a fanfic to show that it’s not just your avenge Joeys or Lassies that can become Pokémon trainers but People who have Disabilities as well..

3. Should the legendaries be considered immortal? also do you think it would be alight to give a quote hero like legendary such as a Suicune very Naught personality such as witch betrays its own reputation as being heroic?

For example killing people, by freezing them to death; and it’s doing so on it's own free will, however the Authorities are blaming this act terrorism on behalf of Team Aqua, because they don't beleave in ledgendaryies, or perhaps they just don't want to blame this mosterus act on a legendary pokémon. ;)

4. What are some things to avoid in regard to giving the main charter a starter, Speaking of a pokémon to give the main Charter besides the legendaries, high evolutions, and dragons, which pokémon should I avoid using?

Because I was thinking of using a dog Pokémon as the main Charter’s starter such as a Houndour...

~Charles Legend

Charizard04621
11th October 2005, 07:17 PM
My answer would be, it's up to you, it's up to you, it's up to you.

As long as you can do it well and make it believable, people will love it (or hate it, but a strong reaction is guaranteed). If you do a mediocre job, you can expect very few replies.

You sound bitter about the lack of fics including people with disabilities. Perhaps you have had some personal experience relating to this field. You have to understand, however, that many people do not have such close experiences, and as such do not believe themselves capable of doing a good job with a fic like that. Unless the writer is extremely perceptive, observant, and nothing short of brilliant, it has to be a person who has dealt with something in that area before. If the writer cannot make a connection, he/she cannot expect the reader to be able to do so.

Everything you write about is up to you. You can do anything in a fic, really - this is what is called artistic license. However, if you do something absurd and fail to make it believable, do not expect a wide audience. Do not expect readers to believe that a perpetually massless object can crush a person to death with its weight, for example, without further explanation.

classy_cat18
11th October 2005, 07:20 PM
1. I just randomized. I mean, why shouldn't Taillow and Poochyena live in Ilex Forest?

2. I agree that not many fics out there center around people with disabilities and I would be interested to see one. But how will you work with that? Looking at the anime, one would think that you would need to be in great health to become a good Pokemon trainer.

3. It's your call, dude. Me? I don't like them to be all goody-two-shoes myself. I ask myself, "If these were actual yet really intelligent animals in the real world, what would they act like? Would Raikou act like animal-like human or an overgrown tiger?"

4. Just don't do it. Pokemon to avoid? The games' starters, for one thing. Eevee and Pikachu for two other things. I used Eevee for my starter but I made her unique. You can use overused Pokemon but don't make them carbon copies of everyone else's.

One more thing, my friend. Work on your spelling.

mr_pikachu
11th October 2005, 09:05 PM
As Karin said, it's up to you in the end. Since you're asking for how other did it, though, I may as well post my answers:

1. I kind of just picked Pokemon that made a little sense, after rapidly scanning a Pokedex. When all else fails, you can even make a fakemon, but you've gotta really put some thought into it for your fakemon to be accepted. (Note: A "fakemon" is essentially a new species of Pokemon that was created by the author of a fanwork specifically for use in a fanfic. It is not a "real" Pokemon; that is, it will likely never appear in any official Pokemon game, show, etc.)

2. ...

(Must not give anything away...)

*cough*

3. It's totally up to you. A lot of it depends on how you use the legendaries in your fanfic, if at all. Some of the best works don't even give mention to legendaries, so that wouldn't be an issue. But it all depends on how you want to make it work. Personally, if I were to have a legendary be immortal, then I certainly wouldn't arm the protagonist with that legendary. An unbeatable, unstoppable force does not make for a good fanfiction. Now, I wouldn't be averse to having the legendaries oppose the protagonist, even (especially?) if they were immortal. Conflict!

4. This is a tricky one. The easy response is to just say to avoid it, but Shonta brings up a good point. When done exceptionally well, it can be effective. But it has to be really, really good, or else it'll just look like every other trainer fic that's being posted on fanfiction.net and other places which have earned my eternal disgust. You've really got to make your work stand out if you want to win fans, so if you're going to use a common Pokemon, it's probably a good idea to really, really prepare deeply. Specifically, something usually needs to stand out to make the Pokemon in question not so common. That can be a good way to turn the stereotype on its head.

But in the end, it's all up to you. Just work on your ideas, and try to find one that you think an audience will love. Then take that idea and refine it for awhile. That's how you get a good fanfic.

Mewfour
11th October 2005, 11:18 PM
[color=wheat]1.How did you go about choosing which wild pokémon showed up in your fic?

I asked myself: "I dunno, what's a cool Pokemon that most people overlook?" And that's that.

2. Would* any one here read a fanfic that has a few trainers who have some sort of Disabilities?

That would certainly help to add another dimension to their characters and avoid Sue/Stu-ism, so yeah, I guess some wouldn't mind...

3. Should the legendaries be considered immortal?

Nothing is immortal. Well granted, there's no 6 foot dragons that breathe fire or electric mice, but immortality is iffy territory- I wouldn't go that far. The only reason why they made the legendaries genderless in the games is to prevent you from breeding them.

also do you think it would be alight to give a quote hero like legendary such as a Suicune very Naught personality such as witch betrays its own reputation as being heroic?

In theory, yes, that would work, but givng your character a legendary in any case regardless is risky.

4. What are some things to avoid in regard to giving the main charter a starter, Speaking of a pokémon to give* the main Charter besides the legendaries, high evolutions, and dragons, which pokémon should I avoid using?

DO NOT use Pikachu, or the other three starters. Give him/her a completely unexpected tho still basic starter like I did- a Porygon. Is it wierd? Yes. Does it work? Eeee-yup. Rattatas, Weedles, Grimers, Slugmas, all of 'em are fair game.

And I don't think I have to mention this, but just in case: NO LEGENDARIES FOR STARTERS.

Because I was thinking of using a dog Pokémon as the main Charter’s starter such as a Houndour...

Hm, that's okay, methinks...

Charizard04621
12th October 2005, 12:18 AM
Er, *looks around guiltily* I haven't written a trainer fic, but the two biggest main characters of Lune are an Eevee and a Pikachu. I just noticed. =P

Andrew
12th October 2005, 08:27 PM
I hope you feel DIRTY for that Charnumber.

1) I choose randomly and if I actaully like that pokemanz.
2) I've got a disabled teritary/secondary character who's a massive twat.
3) If you are going to use them, they're killable!
4) I personally think a quirky starter is good.

Charizard04621
12th October 2005, 11:39 PM
They won multiple awards, I am not inclined to feel dirty for that anytime soon.

Lady Vulpix
16th October 2005, 07:55 AM
1. My fic is not pokemon-related, but I was co-writer of alchemist's trials and I added a few pokemon to the mix, so... for that chapter I posted, I thought of which pokemon it made sense to find in the area where the chapter took place. Among them, I chose pokemon that I thought would fit the characters.

2. Why not? In fact "Through Blind Eyes" was one of the best fics I've read.

3. That's up to you.

4. Choose whatever pokemon you want, but make sure to make them original. People are tired of seeing identical pokemon again and again. I'd hate to see a copy of the Pikachu from the anime, but I nominated and voted for Shockwave as best character in a supporting role and I'd do it again. It's not the species that matters, just keep in mind that each pokemon is a unique individual.