PDA

View Full Version : Night Watch

RaZoR LeAf
13th October 2005, 05:20 PM
Has anyone seen Night Watch yet? For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a Russian Film based on a seeries of books that were bestsellers. A war between beings of Light/good and Dark/evil comes to an end with a truce and they live amongst normal people. The Light are called Night Watch, and they make sure that the dark don't break the truce, and likewise Day Watch are dark and make sure the Light don't break it. It sounds a bit complicated on paper but it makes sense in the film. It's all in russian of course, but it has subtitles.

I saw it.. Tuesday. I'm not one to go see foreign films, but it had a good write up. The subtitles are actually a part of the film, disappearing behind objects as the screen pans around. When somone shouts they are in full caps and bright red, bouncing around the screen, or they fade in and out when the speaker is stressed or whispering. Very well done, it makes them more interesting than just reading and the bottom of the screen. There's pretty good effects in it too. The film cost practically nothing compared to Hollywood blockbusters, so it'd not overflowing with CGI.

Anyway, if anyone else has seen it, I'd love to hear your opinions. If you haven't, put aside any doubts you may have about foreign films and go see it now.

Kris
14th October 2005, 03:01 AM
I havent seen it yet but did hear a report on it the other day, and it sounded very good.

Apparently they are making another two I think it was, as it was greatly recieved in the country they made it in.

Devil
14th October 2005, 12:09 PM
I haven't seen the movie... But I'm planing to. It really looks like a good movie.

Lezta
18th October 2005, 03:56 AM
The only person I know who has seen it said it was disappointing. But meh. He could be wrong.

Little_Pikachu
18th October 2005, 09:16 AM
I saw it the other week, it's not the best vampire movie I've seen and certainly had a fair share of dull bits and obvious bits, but it was interesting and mostly entertaining. A lot of people wont go to see this movie because it's not spoken in English but that's no excuse unless you can't read, in which case pretend to be partially sighted and ask for an audio descriptive headset (available at most good cinemas) which will read the subtitles for you. It is worth a look when you consider that it had the entire budget of just the set of the motorway scene in Matrix Reloaded and in Russia it made more money than all of the LotR movies (apparently).

GreenShirT
21st October 2005, 07:04 PM
I've seen it but I have to say I was some what disappointed. The reason for it was because Q.T had got so hyped about it I took his work and thought it would be the best thing since sliced cheese. It was still really good like. Some of the visuals were totally amazing, like the vortex. Looking forward to the next chapters in the trilogy like...I felt it ended a bit too soon.