PDA

View Full Version : Wilma

Magmar
20th October 2005, 12:33 AM
...here we go again. How are you Floridians reacting to this storm?? Strongest hurricane in history for the atlantic ocean... just what we need, to retire the W storm too.

mr_pikachu
20th October 2005, 01:09 AM
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT24/refresh/AL2405W5_sm2+gif/025559W_sm.gif

This is an image detailing Wilma's anticipated path. The white area is the prediction for the next three days; the shaded area beyond that is the prediction through five days. So it looks like it's going to strike Florida head-on before dispersing somewhat and moving along the East coast.

I guess the horror of this year's hurricane season still isn't over...

Drusilla
20th October 2005, 12:16 PM
While it feels terrible to wish it upon someone else, I'm damn glad that it's not us again. There's NO WAY IN HELL that I'm going through the evacuation shit again, not after Rita...

Magmar
20th October 2005, 01:19 PM
Here in New England we just got over a foot of rain from a stationary cold front. If we get Wilma, all we need is 2 inches of rain to have the same flooding over again. In Taunton, Massachusetts, where most of my family lives, their dam is ready to burst open, and that'll send 6 feet of water through the entire city. If we get that rain, it'll definitely break. I'm a bit worried.

Knight of Time
20th October 2005, 01:34 PM
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT24/refresh/AL2405W5_sm2+gif/025559W_sm.gif

This is an image detailing Wilma's anticipated path. The white area is the prediction for the next three days; the shaded area beyond that is the prediction through five days. So it looks like it's going to strike Florida head-on before dispersing somewhat and moving along the East coast.

I guess the horror of this year's hurricane season still isn't over...

Uh, looking at the path here, is Wilma possibly heading for Nova Scotia, Canada, mr_pikachu?

If so, since the province I live in (Prince Edward Island) is near Nova Scotia, I have a funny feeling that the reminants of P.E.I. will hit the province, possibly bringing rain.

mr_pikachu
20th October 2005, 01:52 PM
Hmm. It does appear that the remnants of Wilma might reach Canada. I don't know how strong it'd be by that point; hopefully it wouldn't have enough power to still have something left at that point. But with the way this year's been with hurricanes, you never know.

On another note, it's clear by the time of my post and the time given on the map that the picture is updating itself, so people can just watch that for Wilma in the same way they tracked Rita (or was it Katrina?) in the other thread earlier this season.

Magmar
20th October 2005, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I had posted the map for the previous storm. I think it was Rita.

God if we get one more hurricane, they'll have to use like, greek letters.

Mr.Pokemon
20th October 2005, 03:40 PM
I think a few years ago a hurricane did make it to Canada without dying out first in the cold waters. I know this year Hurricane Vince(the last storm) was the first tropical system ever to hit Spain! They say Wilma will weaken somewhat, but for a the size and power of a hurricane, that can mean abosolutely nothing.

Crazy
20th October 2005, 05:55 PM
Fantastic, yet another hurricane to add to the list. I hope this doesn't cause to much damage, and I wish luck to those who have to worry about this.

nightcrow
20th October 2005, 06:20 PM
While it feels terrible to wish it upon someone else, I'm damn glad that it's not us again. There's NO WAY IN HELL that I'm going through the evacuation **** again, not after Rita...

There's still a huuuge chance the storm could not even go towards florida and hit texas kthnx =p

supposedly the last storm to hit tampa (where i live) was in 1921 when a storm had a very similar path to wilma. everyone anticipated it would hit the keys/south florida (like wilma is projected to) but we got slammed. so yeah this might be fun.

ps i'm staying whoooo

Jeff
22nd October 2005, 05:27 PM
Looks like it's going to skip over Maryland entirely, then again we could get a little of it but not the full force, just as long as it stays on its projected path.

Best wishes to those who are in the path.

Magmar
23rd October 2005, 09:06 AM
I can't wait tos ee what happens if they need to retire a Greek letter

midnightangel
23rd October 2005, 10:09 AM
I only hope this one isn't as bad as the last four Florida had last year

Right now the area I live in is under a hurricane warning (just below Cape Canaveral on the mainland), and there is a mandatory evacuation for all mobile homes in the area. :eek:

I just got through moving the lawn furniture into the garage and have been trying to keep the kitties from freaking out, lol

Thanks for the best wishes and luck guys :biggrin: :smilie:

Arnen
23rd October 2005, 02:08 PM
And this is the good thing about living in Wisconsin ^^; Even though they run the tornado siren every time they see lightning -._-.; Best of luck to those in Wilma's path!

Perfect Chaos
5th November 2005, 11:40 AM
Wilma was pretty bad damage-wise. I was in the area that supposedly got hit the hardest. I have a fence in my backyard that got blown over in four different places (and it covers [or covered] ALOT of space). Some trees, and roof shingles blew around here and there. Also, my dad and I put up shutters on a balcony door in my bedroom and the wind blew off like about five of them, which is pretty freaky.

I went driving around to see the damage and almost 70% are still without traffic lights, which makes driving around a complete NIGHTMARE. Also, we managed to get off of school for about two weeks, which is a definite plus, but we're going back this coming Monday and more than likely they're going to force us to make-up the days we missed.

Just giving a small recap on what happened around my area of town.

-sean

Tainted
9th November 2005, 07:21 AM
If I've learned two things about Canada, it's that it's so cold not even hurricanes or zombies want to live here. (land of the dead.)

Adieu,
Zak Hunter