PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Rush Question

mr_pikachu
20th October 2005, 02:11 AM
I've got a bit of an unusual question involving the various Shadow moves on Colosseum and XD. I'm aware of their power rating, accuracy, as well as the lack of a type (i.e. Fire, Water, etc.). However, what I can't seem to find anywhere is whether these attacks are Physical or Special. It's sort of a strange issue. Since they don't have a type, it's difficult to know whether the amount of damage is determined by Attack and Defense, or Special Attack and Special Defense. I wasn't able to find an answer on a few FAQs I looked at, so I thought I'd pose the question here.

So, does anyone know? Are the Shadow techniques of the Physical or Special attack variety?

P.S. I actually haven't played XD yet, but I figured it was probably safe to assume that the new Shadow attacks work in essentially the same manner as the original Shadow Rush, just with different power/accuracy ratings.

Poryhedron
20th October 2005, 05:01 PM
I...seem to recall Shadow Rush working like a physical...by which I mean it tends to crush Alakazam but does next to nothing to Onix. I don't know for sure, but from my experience, I'd guess physical.

RattataGuy
20th October 2005, 06:48 PM
Another thing to note is that even though the Shadow moves do not have a type, the ones that deal damage are super effective against all other types.

I do think that they are Physical when it comes to the stats that figure into their calculations. Though an idea that just sprang into my head just now - with their being more than one Shadow move now, it's possible that some are Physical and others are Special. This could be especially true now that there are some status effecting Shadow Moves now.

Orion
22nd October 2005, 06:23 PM
P.S. I actually haven't played XD yet, but I figured it was probably safe to assume that the new Shadow attacks work in essentially the same manner as the original Shadow Rush, just with different power/accuracy ratings.

Well, as RattataGuy just pointed out, Shadow Attacks have changed in XD. First off, they're now Shadow-Type attacks and they're super-effective against non-Shadow Pokémon. On the other hand, Shadow Pokémon are resistant to Shadow Attacks.

And yes, they're physical. Mantine and Slugma do measly damage when using it. On the other hand, Makuhita and Entei cause a big amount of damage. They're still Physical in XD, hence the existance of Shadow Down (Lowers Defense.).

mr_pikachu
23rd October 2005, 04:15 PM
Ah, okay. That makes sense. Thank you for the in-depth explanation, Orion!

Hmm, Shadow being its own type, huh? That would make things quite a bit tougher... interesting.

rinku
23rd October 2005, 11:47 PM
You can also see the difference if Reflect and Light Screen are used (which they often are on Colosseum). Colosseum Shadow Rush is definitely an Attack based move resisted by Defense.