PDA

View Full Version : Rosa Parks dies

mr_pikachu
25th October 2005, 01:21 AM
Civil Rights Pioneer Rosa Parks Dies at 92 (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obit_rosa_parks;_ylt=AtY7serNud6_xwaL3QA2QeBhKZ4v; _ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)

In a tale commonly told in discussions of the civil rights movement, Rosa Parks refused to surrender her bus seat to a white man in 1955. It was one of the first of many acts of defiance that helped to change the system of the United States.

Parks died last night from natural causes, surrounded by friends and family as she left this world.

What are your thoughts on the passing of this historic figure?

Master of Paradox
25th October 2005, 08:44 AM
While a tragedy, we do have to notice one thing - she made it to 92. That's not a bad age to reach.

Magmar
25th October 2005, 09:16 PM
Everyone dies eventually. But good for her--a nice long life, deserved for such a smart woman!

Katie
25th October 2005, 09:49 PM
is it too early for "back of the hearse" jokes?

sad, but honestly I thought she was already dead. just assumed I guess. rip.

Drago
26th October 2005, 02:19 AM
Yeah, I had no idea she was alive either, until she was, well... dead.
R.I.P. Rosa, and thank you for giving me suitable writing material for last year's history essay. Though I got a D, it's the thought that counts.

Chieng Vui Leng
26th October 2005, 09:58 AM
I first read about her in a comprehension passage (from an English Language assessment book) back then in 1999.

Jeff
27th October 2005, 05:04 PM
I too thought she was already dead, considering she is such a historic figure. I guess we always just assume that all people of great historic significance are already dead, unless we know otherwise.

Anyway, RIP to her.

en0miz
28th October 2005, 05:27 PM
I guess I'm one of the few that knew she was still alive, and that's only because I remember a while ago when she sued Outkast, the rap group for using her name for the title of one of their (kickass) songs.

Anyways, RIP. Thanks to her, I can sit wherever I like on public transportation, horray!

darktyranitar
30th October 2005, 11:16 AM
92...that's pretty old, considering most people today make it only till 60-70. Anyway, rest in peace.

en0miz: Where'd you get the kickass sig? :biggrin: