PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Save the Daylight!

mr_pikachu
30th October 2005, 02:35 AM
Well, as you've probably guessed, this poll is about Daylight Savings time. So, let's hit it!

GENERAL QUESTIONS

1. Did you realize that Daylight Savings time has (or is about to) take effect in your area? Or does your region not adhere to Daylight Savings time?
2. Have you heard about the changes to the system that will take effect in 2007?
3. Should the system be changed, or is it fine the way it is?
4. Will changing the dates (http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html) at which the time shifts to the second Sunday in March and the first Sunday in November improve or worsen the system?
5. How does Daylight Savings time affect your life?

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

6. In Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal, the game featured a clock that did not change on its own according to Daylight Savings time. Did you go into the game and manually change the clock, or did you leave it as it was?
7. Obviously, Pokemon trainers in the anime are frequently away from the rest of civilization. How do you think they cope with Daylight Savings time, if at all?
8. Any interesting stories to tell about how the time affected your gameplay in Pokemon?

And my answers...

GENERAL QUESTIONS

1. I realized it (obviously, since I created this poll). I looked at my clocks and then at my computer clock and saw that they were suddenly an hour apart. Ten minutes later, I realized why that was. >_>;
2. I didn't know how exactly it would be different until I did a little research on it. But I did know that the system would be changing sometime in the near future.
3. I think the whole thing's annoying, myself. I kind of wish we'd just scrap the whole thing so people wouldn't have to remember to switch all their clocks and stuff.
4. It could be better with the new dates. Or it could be worse. Having it further away from midterms might be good, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
5. Well, for one thing, it makes me loathe April. :P For the most part, it serves as an annoyance. I'm never good at waking up anyway, and when they change all the times by an hour, it throws me off even more. Meh.

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

6. I left it as it was, for better or for worse. Usually worse.
7. Well, I'd bet some of them have digital watches, Pokedexes, Pokegears, etc. that automatically change the time according to Daylight Savings time. Of course, I could see some trainers (like Ash) not manually setting their clocks and winding up late to big events. ("What do you mean registration for the tournament ended an hour ago?") Heh. :D
8. Remember those seven siblings in GSC? Y'know, the ones that each appeared on a given day of the week? Well, I had a few occasions where I'd go out to where one was supposed to be, and that sibling wouldn't be there. I'd search around for a minute or two, thinking that I was at the wrong spot, and then I'd check to make sure I had the right day. Then I'd see that it was something like 12:08 A.M. on the next day, because the game's clock was running fast (or I'd forgotten to change it for DST). I'd have sworn quite loudly if I hadn't been afraid of waking my parents up.

Now, it's your turn!

EDIT: This (http://www.sighost.us/members/mrpikachu/daylight_time.jpg) is just another example of how Daylight Savings time can screw things up.

Lady Vulpix
30th October 2005, 11:24 AM
I'm sorry, but we don't have daylight savings time here. We did around 15-16 years ago and I do think the whole concept is screwed up, I'm glad we don't have them anymore. As it is, it doesn't really affect my life, or the games I play/have played.

Number1ChanseyFan
30th October 2005, 11:31 AM
1. Did you realize that Daylight Savings time has (or is about to) take effect in your area? Or does your region not adhere to Daylight Savings time?
Yeah, I changed the clocks before I went to sleep.

2. Have you heard about the changes to the system that will take effect in 2007?
Yeah, I think daylight savings time is going to start a month earlier and end a month later.

It should just be gotten rid of, period!!

4. Will changing the dates (http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html) at which the time shifts to the second Sunday in March and the first Sunday in November improve or worsen the system?
Probably worsen it. It is already confusing and stuff, and now they are going to change the dates when it happens. It is just gonna make it more annoying then it already is.

Inconveniencing(sp?) it!! Especially the one in April, because you lose an hour of sleep. Basically, the whole idea seems kinda outdated for me. Maybe back when agricultural stuff was more reliant on human work instead of machines and lights, DST would have been more important, but it just seems like a silly thing now that is made to confuse people. I know a few times we have been late/early for church on Sundays because of forgetting to change the clock. It just seems to me that there is no rational reason to mess with the clocks, I think that people would do just fine without it. I say set the clock a half hour in between, and just leave it there!!

6. In Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal, the game featured a clock that did not change on its own according to Daylight Savings time. Did you go into the game and manually change the clock, or did you leave it as it was?
I would usually go to my mom on the game and when you would talk to her, she would change the clock for you for Daylight Savings. However, I didn't use the code to manually change the clock.

7. Obviously, Pokemon trainers in the anime are frequently away from the rest of civilization. How do you think they cope with Daylight Savings time, if at all?
Meh, maybe they are from a happy place that doesn't mess with daylight savings!!

8. Any interesting stories to tell about how the time affected your gameplay in Pokemon?
Not really!!

Arnen
30th October 2005, 02:08 PM
GENERAL QUESTIONS

I didn't until I got up this morning. The clock in my room said 11:30, but the clock in the living room (which gets all its data via radio or satellite or something) said 10:30.

Not until just now, no.

I don't really care. I mean, it doesn't take too much effort to change the time on a clock.

4. Will changing the dates at which the time shifts to the second Sunday in March and the first Sunday in November improve or worsen the system?
I don't think it really matters too much.

Uh.. Not really much at all. I mean, I get to sleep in an hour, but...

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

If I remembered, I'd change it, yes.

They probably just changed their clocks like everyone else.

I remember one time when I got particularly pissed for missing the Bug-Catching Contest in Crystal, but other than that, not really.

Magmar
30th October 2005, 10:56 PM
Here's my perception on Daylight Saving Time.

I'm not going to answer the poll questions one by one, but in paragraph form.

I live in Providence, Rhode Island, at Rhode Island College, about the eastern boundary of the Eastern Time zone. We're at about 41 degrees north.

As it stands, with daylight saving time, the sun will rise at about 5 AM in the summer and set around 8:30. During the winter, the sun will rise around 7:15 AM and set about 4:00 PM.

Around 10 March, the sun will rise nearly 6 AM and set nearly 6 PM. By springing forward in early March, our days will shift from 7 AM to 7 PM.

The way it is today, we shift about 2 April. During early April, the sun rises about 5:30 and sets at 6:30. It changes to rising at 6:30 and setting at 7:30. That's not too bad.

However, what if we don't "Spring forward"?

During May, June, July and August in Rhode Island, the sun will rise at 4 AM and set at 7:30 PM. Why would you want the sun to rise at 4 AM?? Honestly, hardly anyone is awake at 4:00 in the morning.

Random day:
On my birthday (5 July) the sun rises at 5:13 AM and sets at 8:24 PM. Without daylight savings time, the sun will rise at 4:13 AM and set at 7:24 PM. With the extra hour of daylight in the evening, we have more daylight hours to celebrate the fact that I tumbled out of the uterus. As much as people want to argue "Well, why don't they?" the fact of the matter is that people just don't wake up at 4 in the morning unless they have work very early. I think the extra hour later on does us good. This way the sun's already up there for the morning commute, but unless you're driving between 7:45 and 8:15, the sun really doesn't bother you at all during spring/summer. I also find that Daylight SAving Time is when spring really starts to kick in up here... once it's done, it feels a whole lot like fall.

I never cared about Pokemon time settings.

My car's clock is now right until April of next year. :)

Add-on: Without daylight savings time, the sun would rise at 3:30 AM in Maine. Gotta remember those of us at the eastern side of the time zone!! If you live in, say, Ohio, the difference is nearly an hour from Rhode Island--sun rises nearly 6 AM and sets about 9 PM.

Little_Pikachu
31st October 2005, 04:36 PM
GENERAL QUESTIONS

Yes, but only because someone mentioned it to me earlier that day. I probably would've noticed that my computer clock changed later though.

No.

It should be abolished, but if I have to choose, they should just leave it.

4. Will changing the dates at which the time shifts to the second Sunday in March and the first Sunday in November improve or worsen the system?
It wont make much difference.

It annoys me greatly in the spring when I have to get up an hour earlier, but I like it in autumn when I get an extra hours sleep, but either way after a couple of days I'm all used to it so it doesn't really affect anything.

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

I left it.

They are also pissed off that they have to get up an hour earlier in the spring.

Nah.

Pichu Luver
2nd November 2005, 09:26 AM
[font=garamond]GENERAL QUESTIONS

Yeah, I realized when I got up a couple days ago. My clock said 8:30 am but when I went downstairs my mom had changed to 7:30am. Whoo I'm up early on a weekend. :D

Yeah, and I think it is kinda dumb. Since I live in Canada though, I don't think it take effect. *shrugs* Could be wrong though.

I think it should go. It's just annoying.

Meh, no idea.

Now the sun sets earlier I can't really see my horse and get a decent ride in before the sun sets. *grumbles* Eh he's a half hour away and I don't usually get home till 6 so . . . --'''

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

I changed it. It was too annoying to have it otherwise.

I wouldn't think it exists really.

Not really . I just thought it was funky how the had an evening in the game too. ^^'''

Crystal Mew
5th November 2005, 01:29 AM
1. it did, and I realized it.
2. no...lol.
3. I dunno, its fine I guess? doesnt really bother me
4. I dont know, it may? but honestly I dont think it will
5. it only effects if I will lose and hour of sleep, or gain an hour of sleep. thats it

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

6. jeeze, I dont know. I probably went to that house that changed the time
7. huh...um...life probably carrries on as usual. although its a cartoon...so...
8. well nto hardly

SupremeChampion
6th November 2005, 11:49 PM
GENERAL QUESTIONS

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

[i] 1.) yep, already changed the clocks.
2.) nope, can't say that i have.
3.) well, since i don't know them i really can't answer this q.
4.) those are the changes they are planning to make? seriously does it really matter?
5.) other than gaining/losing a hour of sleep, not much.
6.) left it alone, since i really was never in my home town anyway.
7.) nah, i don't even think, they would pay any attention to it.
8.) nah, can't say i have any, sorry.

~The Italian Stallion