#168 Heracross (English)

#169 Rhyhorn (English)

#170 Rhydon (English)

#181 Chinchou (English)

#182 Lanturn (English)

#184 Horsea (English)

#185 Seadra (English)

#186 Kingdra (English)

Anybody think that wih the new moveset and stats(or at least revamped ones) they will hold their own, or will the old ones dominate?

And anybody intent on using any? I have a Golduck and a Wobbufet on my team. And they rock.
I intend on

Vanilla Thunder
5th March 2003, 12:41 PM
Hey, good topic, Psyzor. I'm glad to see any of the old Pokemon make a comeback, and indeed, they all will someday, since they've already been programmed into the game as "unobtainables." But of the ones you can readily get now, I'm really happy with the following:

http://www.pokemasters.net/images/games/ruby_sapphire/rs162.png http://www.pokemasters.net/images/games/ruby_sapphire/rs163.png Natu and Xatu! Nobody knew wtf was up with them when they were first unveiled for Gold and Silver, but those same people quickly fell in love with these freaky psychic birds (as I've taken a penchant to calling them). They're strong, unique, colorful, and very stylized, making them among my favorite Pokemon.

http://www.pokemasters.net/images/games/ruby_sapphire/rs168.png Heracross! Most. Wordalicious. Bug-type. Ever. Well, okay, that's debatable --- in my personal opinion, ones like Ninjask, Volbeat, Masquerain, and Armaldo more than hold their own in the "coolness" contest --- but there's no denying the awesomeness of this Bug and Fighting type. But why wasn't Scyther included?

http://www.pokemasters.net/images/games/ruby_sapphire/rs181.png http://www.pokemasters.net/images/games/ruby_sapphire/rs182.png Chinchou and Lanturn! Ahhh, it's a shame I never realized the awesome potential of these two. They may very well find their way onto my in-game team, perhaps even my battling squad. High-voltage angler fish, especially ones as tough-but-lovable as these fellows, are difficult to resist!

http://www.pokemasters.net/images/games/ruby_sapphire/rs108.png http://www.pokemasters.net/images/games/ruby_sapphire/rs109.png Koffing and Weezing! Finally, these highly stylized Pokemon who drip with coolness and practically encompass the Poison-type have become great fighters! Their Floating characteristic, which makes them immune against Ground-type techniques, really goes a long ways towards giving them the fighting prowess they deserve. One could almost say that Koffing and Weezing just rocketed into the top-tier league of Pokemon. Welcome back, you weird, pimply fart balloons!

And of course, I'm thrilled to see old favorites like Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Abra, Vulpix, Oddish, Staryu, Psyduck, Sandshrew, Marill, Zubat, and many, many others making their return. They'll tide us over until we have full access to all of the originals once again.

stickachu
5th March 2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Psyzor
I was looking at all of the returning pokemon namely

Tentacruel I love tentacruel! I am so glad he's in Ru/Sa.

Vileplume Not a huge fan, but aroma therapy will make it popular

Muk My favorite poison pokemon! Muk! Arrgh!

Weezing Floating makes this good pokemon even better.

Skarmory An awesome pokemon who's even better now that it learns spikes. It very easily earned a place on my team.

Lanturn Another great returning pokemon. It's also my favorite electric pokemon. ^_^

Vanilla Thunder
5th March 2003, 01:05 PM
Hmmm. Now that I think of it, we're still getting quite a bit of great Pokemon from the old games. Even Psyduck's included, which is suprising since we already have a new psychopathic, two-ball screwball Pokemon, Ludicolo. You can't get much crazier then a dancing, duckbilled, and furry Mexican pineapple monster with a lily pad sombrero (and in Stickachu's case, a patch eye --- word).

But where the hell are my beloved Mareeps, Flaaffys, and Ampharos?! Of ALL the Pokemon, why lock them up?! Oh, that's right, because they're really popular and Nintendo could squeeze a couple more dimes out of us that way :P. Man, you gotta love Nintendo and their crazy money-making schemes (they'll be taking another $100+ of my cash in a couple weeks when Ruby and Sapphire, the Game Boy Player, and The Wind Waker are released --- I'll wait on the GBA SP).

Dragonfree
5th March 2003, 04:01 PM
#39 Abra (English)

#40 Kadabra (English)

#41 Alakazam (English)

...Sort of like them...

#50 Goldeen (English)

#51 Seaking (English)

Don't care. They aren't anything special, I doubt I will ever take Seaking out of the PC once it has evolved.

#52 Magikarp (English)

#53 Gyarados (English)

Well, I like Gyarados, at least... but they could have used that spot for other pokémon.

#54 Azurill (English)

#55 Marill (English)

#56 Azumarill (English)

I hate Marill. It's my second least favorite pokémon. I really wish they didn't have to make that Azurill thing... as it is there, Marill has to be there too... and do you know why I hate it? Because of all the "Pikablu" rumours. Because everyone made stupid, fake codes to get it in R/B/Y. Because someone stupid decided it was related to Pikachu. Poor Marill. If that someone would just have kept their mouth shut, I might even like it.

#63 Zubat (English)

#64 Golbat (English)

#65 Crobat (English)

The bats are here again... I don't care if they're here.

#66 Tentacool (English)

#67 Tentacruel (English)

I... hate... this... thing... it keeps appearing when Surfing... it... is... so... annoying... I hope it doesn't appear so often on R/S...

#73 Machop (English)

#74 Machoke (English)

#75 Machamp (English)

I'd rather have wanted them to have the Hitmons... but anyway... next poke...

#82 Magnemite (English)

#83 Magneton (English)

Why didn't they have the Floating characteristic??? I mean, they DO float! But they decided, no, it has to be kept weak, it has to have a 4* weakness to Ground... why are they giving it a return if it doesn't even have the characteristic it sould have?

#84 Voltorb (English)

#85 Electrode (English)

I don't care.

#88 Oddish (English)

#89 Gloom (English)

#90 Vileplume (English)

#91 Bellossom (English)

I'd rather have wanted Victreebel to return...

#92 Doduo (English)

#93 Dodrio (English)

Well, they have some old bird pokémon, at least, and it's not something like Farfetch'd that's totally useless...

#103 Slugma (English)

#104 Magcargo (English)

Come ON! Who in the world would use them??? They're among the worst pokémon around! Training it was a total nightmare, I remember it well...

#106 Grimer (English)

#107 Muk (English)

#108 Koffing (English)

#109 Weezing (English)

They make a bunch of Poison types return. At least they're trying to make us use them... and at least Weezing has Floating, although Magneton wasn't lucky enough to get it...

#112 Sandshrew (English)

#113 Sandslash (English)

Yay! Phew, they have the only Ground type I like.

#115 Skarmory (English)

I like it, good they kept it in, and it even learns spikes!

#137 Igglybuff (English)

#138 Jigglypuff (English)

#139 Wigglytuff (English)

Why did they have to take the pink blobs I like less? Why wouldn't they have Clefairy? But I understand that the pokémon games are obivously not made to keep my favorites in rather than someone else's... next pokémon:

#143 Staryu (English)

#144 Starmie (English)

Good they kept the stars in. It's good. :yes:

#153 Vulpix (English)

#154 Ninetales (English)

I like them, they're cute and loveable. I just hope they got something good on R/S.

#155 Pichu (English)

#156 Pikachu (English)

#157 Raichu (English)

It's not that I don't like Pikachu, but... did its sprite HAVE to look like that? I'm about to throw up every time I see it. It's... just... so... overdone... so much of a "I'm the cutest thing ever"... excuse me, I have to go to the bathroom...

#158 Psyduck (English)

#159 Golduck (English)

Heh, they kept Ash's favorite pokémon and Brock's favorite pokémon, but then they put the one Misty hates the most!:D She won't be too happy...

#160 Soonano

#161 Wobbuffet (English)

It's sort of funny, and in R/S it gets exactly what it needed. Just the right thing to do. :yes:

#162 Natu (English)

#163 Xatu (English)

Totem poles... well, I have nothing to say about them...

#164 Girafarig (English)

They could have put something else here, but anyway...

#165 Phanpy (English)

#166 Donphan (English)

I don't like them. At least I'd never use Donphan over Sandslash. I would've been glad to get rid of them personally.

#167 Pinsir (English)

#168 Heracross (English)

Two bugs I've never liked (no offense to all these Heracross lovers). On Yellow, I spent ages trying to catch Pinsir but never managed to, and on Gold, I spent ages searching for Heracross until I learned it's only in mountain trees. Stupid me. Somehow, I don't have the same patience towards them as to Scyther.

#169 Rhyhorn (English)

#170 Rhydon (English)

Well, if they get Megahorn... nice. :yes:

#181 Chinchou (English)

#182 Lanturn (English)

A very nice type combination that certainly deserved to be left in.

#184 Horsea (English)

#185 Seadra (English)

#186 Kingdra (English)

Of all pokémon... they had to keep my TWO LEAST FAVORITE POKÉMON? Marill and Kingdra? Curse you for ever making Kingdra! Horsea and Seadra are so cute! Why did they have to evolve into... something that's called a dragon but looks like it's drunk and it the luckiest creature that ever walked the Earth. For short, I really, REALLY hate Kingdra. They could've used that spot for Scyther or Butterfree or Charizard... but they had to put Kingdra...

So, there are four pokémon I like among the survivors. Pikachu, Sandslash, Skarmory and Gyarados. Two pokémon I really hate. A few pokémon that at least got what they needed. A lot of pokémon that are just there and I don't care at all. For short, if I had been choosing the returning pokémon, the list would've been completely different. I don't like how they chose the returning pokémon. But I don't work there, they can do what they want...

***IMPORTANT NOTICE***

No offense to anyone who likes Marill and Kingdra and whatnot. Anyone can like any pokémon and I won't care, and please allow me to hate some pokémon without you caring.

Runpapa
5th March 2003, 04:08 PM
Im surprised 2/3 personal favs made it, Donphan and Kingdra. Tho Marowak will make it once GC makes the mark.

Dr Crocodile
5th March 2003, 04:22 PM
Is it me or did they choose some of the pokemon that would return at random? Yeah Pikachu is there because he is the mascot. Magneton is there to curb the improved Skarmory. Weezing and Wobbeffeut got crazy upgrades so they are probably there to show off. Blissey and Snorlax (Or should I say Curselax) are probably taking a break to promote the usage of other pokemon. But as to why some of the other were included over others, it just seems weird. As someonr, somewhere said, Did we really need Golem AND Rhydon or Muk AND Weezing? Muk and Golem's slots sould have gone to type combos that aren't even in the game like Houndoom and Poliwrath. Togetic is part of a major breeding chain for some good moves for several pokemon but its abscence means that Prayer is basically restricted to 2-3 pokemon. There are far better water pokemon to include over Seaking like Quagsire. Considering that Quaggy can own at least 75% of all Kyorge movesets, his prescence would have been greatly appreciated. I'm not saying I don't like the returning oldies, most of them are good, t's just I have yet to see the gameplay implications in the 202 game for some of the old ones.

rinku
5th March 2003, 04:41 PM
Slugma's not that bad. He gets one of the *very* in-game useful new moves (Yawn), so you may find he's a better deal in RS than he was in GSC. The general lack of Fire types also boosts his stakes.

(For those that don't already know, Yawn is a 100% sleep move, but which takes effect two turns after it's used. In a link battle, switching would minimise its effect, but wild pokémon can't do that, and in-game trainers rarely do. Very very handy capture move)

BattlecatRex
5th March 2003, 06:02 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm sure glad we have GameSharks.

Team Rocket's Lugia
5th March 2003, 06:10 PM
Oh goodie! 2/3 of my favs made the cut! and both got upgrades! You guessed it, Wobbuffet and Skarmory.

Hehe, keep on poping up behind friends and going "WOBBUFFET!"

Orion
5th March 2003, 07:09 PM
Well,gotta say I must be too lucky now.Some people's gonna hit me for this fact,but well...I must say they kept a lot of my favorite Pokémon!I was amazed when I saw the RS Obtainables,and discover there were a lot of unobtainable,old Pokés,but I wasn't sad,because it had A LOT of my favorites!

Alakazam,my fave Psychic.
Golem,one of my fave Rock Pokés.
Tentacruel,one of my many favorite Water Types.
Bellossom...MY FAVORITE POKÉ!!!!
Starmie,a very cool poké I like a lot being a Star.
Donphan,a VERY tough,one of the best Grounds!
Skarmory,great one too,and one of my fave Bird Pokémon!
Pinsir,my understimated,but great and favorite Bug!
Kingdra,the second best Type Combo,and a very cool Poké I love!!
Ninetales,a very cute,appealing Fire Type I love!
Wigglytuff,cuddly,loveable,CUTE!!!I love her!!!

Don't hit me,please!:PActually,it's one of the few times I felt so lucky!Finally,life pays out after a long time of bad luck!I feel sorry for all those that didn't got a single old Favorite out there:(

Also,I hate the fact Nintendo included some of the worst Pokémon ever(Magcargo,Seaking*Shrugs*)...WHY THEY DID THAT!They should've had filled that spot with something more popular or useful at least!!!