PDA

View Full Version : Weather is but a fickle thing. Or IS it?

GymLeaderYoshi
23rd November 2005, 12:17 PM
Yes, yes. What an odd topic to post for another random return, right? I've got a bad habit of doing that, I should look into coming around here more often... But anyway, yes. Weather.

Surely some of you have noticed something very odd about our rains and our sunny days... Especially this hurricane season. I mean, really, what kind of blasted season was this? Already so far, twenty-seven tropical depressions, twenty-four named storms, and they've already been into the Greek Alphabet for some time now, the most recent name having been Gamma. Oh, and pay a close note to this, we've had three Catagory 5 storms total. Doesn't matter that they reached land as they were, they actually made it to the big 5. Doesn't this worry anyone? Keeping in mind that the only Catagory 5's we've seen were about a decade or so apart from each other, rather than 3 in ONE SEASON like what we've seen.

And also, there are many smaller events that deal with crazy weather. Recently, Iowa, I believe, suffered an assault of a few tornados, the type of tornados being somewhat rare for that part of the area. Lats Christmas, my town that I reside in recieved several inches of SNOW. I live in Texas by the coast, mind, so I believe THAT to be plenty odd enough. I've also heard that (this is kinda un-weather-related) the North Ice Cap is kind of, er... metling away, so to speak.

All that comes to one question. Whats the bloody hell is going on? Is our weather just deciding to go nuts? Is global warming to blame? Is the sun expanding or something? Is or weather about to pull a Day-After-Tomorrow and make a drastic change? What do you believe? As for myself, I believe that this is the work of global warming, indeed. I mean, think about it. Temperatures have been steadily rising over the years, the blinkin' ICE CAPS are starting to wear thin... And we recieved a hefty amount of snow, in the Southeastern part of Texas. It all makes sense if you really htink about it.

What are your thoughts?

~GLY

Roy Karrde
23rd November 2005, 01:22 PM
I had a Natural Geography Proffesor talk about this just a few months ago. His conclusion was that what we are experiencing was a warming trend. The Earth went through a Ice Age and now it is warming up, eventually it will experience another Ice Age, but right now we are on the upswing of that.

The Hurricanes have nothing to do with Global Warming by the way. We are going through a high Hurricane season like the one in the early 90s. We will continue to experience a high Hurricane season for another few years and then it will become slow again. It's all a cycle, one that has been going on since before we have been in North America.

As for the whole Global Warming debate, we have only been able to keep accurate Meteorlogical Records for the last 100 years. And even then some of the warmest days ever have been in the 1950s and before. Hell if Global Warming did exist then wouldn't Texas have record breaking heat? Instead we havn't been able to break the record for the hottest day since it was set back in 1980. Right now we dont have any Meteorlogical evdince that disproves that this isnt a cycle the Earth goes through, it gets warm, and then cold again. Remember back in the 70s everyone believed we were heading for another Ice Age, now those same people are saying we're warming up. If we are to believe them then where was that Ice Age I was promised in the 70s? Did I miss it? I want my Ice Age!

Magmar
23rd November 2005, 04:02 PM
I want my Y2K Crisis.

Okay, get this... in Rhode Island...

*January through April have been foot upon foot of snow, constant blizzards, never been like this before.
*It has snowed in May, but starting in May...
*...and through September, it just doesn't rain. It's usually really hot.
*It pours all October, and that's the only month out of the year that the plants are green.
*It's dry for the first half or so, then snows all through November, usually. Cold, windy, dreary. We have about a week of fall where all the green leaves fall down, because without sunlight the leaves don't change or something like that. We haven't had a "fall" here since I was a kid.
*December it is warm and sunny. Christmas is never white here, it's been 50-70 degrees the last few years. This lasts through about mid-January.

Also, we don't get green leaves on trees until late May. When I was a kid, I remember April having the green leaves because of my father's birthday. Nowadays the leaves fall later and grow later. This year I got out of college on May 14th, and everything was STILL brown!

Tell me this isn't a little messed up? What happened to four seasons??

Bulbasaur4
23rd November 2005, 04:25 PM
I had a Natural Geography Proffesor talk about this just a few months ago. His conclusion was that what we are experiencing was a warming trend. The Earth went through a Ice Age and now it is warming up, eventually it will experience another Ice Age, but right now we are on the upswing of that.

The Hurricanes have nothing to do with Global Warming by the way. We are going through a high Hurricane season like the one in the early 90s. We will continue to experience a high Hurricane season for another few years and then it will become slow again. It's all a cycle, one that has been going on since before we have been in North America.

As for the whole Global Warming debate, we have only been able to keep accurate Meteorlogical Records for the last 100 years. And even then some of the warmest days ever have been in the 1950s and before. Hell if Global Warming did exist then wouldn't Texas have record breaking heat? Instead we havn't been able to break the record for the hottest day since it was set back in 1980. Right now we dont have any Meteorlogical evdince that disproves that this isnt a cycle the Earth goes through, it gets warm, and then cold again. Remember back in the 70s everyone believed we were heading for another Ice Age, now those same people are saying we're warming up. If we are to believe them then where was that Ice Age I was promised in the 70s? Did I miss it? I want my Ice Age!

I'd have to agree with Roy on this one. You see, everyone thinks that the Hurricane-uprise is proof of Global Warming, when it isn't. It's proven that the Ocean current goes through a cycle, just like everythign else, and just like back in the 50s-60s, the Hurricanes have reached a high because the cycle is at its high point in the temperature scale. Given a few years, this will level down to normal and at the bottom point of the cycle, we'll reach an all-time low for Hurricanes. It is also nice to note, that this Ocean Cycle would affect the temperatures all about the Globe as well. So if the Ocean cycle is reaching its peak... it would affect weather all about the world- explaining why Minnesota is going through dry winters, Iowa is getting freak tornadoes... and freak snow and such.

It's all connected.

mr_pikachu
23rd November 2005, 04:41 PM
Yeah, Roy said it well. Nature is often more cyclical than many people are led to believe. Remember, a few years back everyone was talking about El Nino and La Nina and how global warming was to blame for how awful those storms were. Now, nobody even thinks about them any more. It seems to me that people want to find a cause for irritating things - a target for the blame, really. And since you can't really "blame" nature very well... you get the point. >_>