PDA

View Full Version : How do you Roleplay?

Plantae
29th November 2005, 11:00 PM
How do you roleplay?

Having had discussion with several forum-goers, specifically those of this forum, I am partially aghast to learn some of the philosophies on how it is properly done. This, I think, at the core, is a large reason why our forum works the way it does. To start, I would like to ask anyone that would consider answering them a few questions. This is then, a sort of poll, but it should devolve into a discussion thread at some point. Feel free to answer all, or only some of the questions, or simply to start discussing these issues in general.

1) What do you think the proper time is to wait between posts before you post again?

2) Have you ever, or often, found yourself waiting for another person to post? Do you think it was possible for you to post in this situation? Why or why not?

3) What do you consider a solid post? Is there a specific number of words/pages/(other measure) that you adhere to when deciding when it is proper to stop?

4) Have you ever been accused of being too verbose? What do you consider the most important part of description in a roleplaying post?

5) What, at the core, is roleplaying about to you (besides the entertainment)? What purpose are you trying to accomplish when you post?

6) When was the last time you lost interest in a roleplay (recently, a while ago, or another relative measure of time)? Do you think "losing interest" is a real reason to stop posting or post with no enthusiasm? Do you consider signing up for a roleplay a committment, or do you always feel you can back out at some point, or when the thread starts to die?

7) What is your opinion of excuses, no matter how true? Does the average roleplayer deserves some leniency, or to be a true roleplayer, should you make time?

8 ) How much of a roleplay do you actually read?

9) Are threads better off when not based on pop culture (anime, books, movies, etc.)?

10) What thing(s) bother(s) you most about people's current outlook on roleplaying?

11) When was the last time you really felt your character? Why do you think it has not happened in other situations?

=

1. I honestly believe that as long as it is at least partially relevant to either the plot or your character, it is valuable as long as at least one other person has posted after your previous post. Sure, it may be a bit heinous in certain situations, but this is the exception, not the rule.

2. I typically do not. I may for a short period of time, but if they do not post, I simply post without them. My opinion is that your character should always be able to do something, consider some thought, some part of his/her past, or do some action. It hardly matters if it is not entirely relevant to the plot, only that you keep the roleplay moving along, and establish more of what you want your character to be.

3. A solid post, to me, is a post that contains relevant plot information and/or character development and is at least two sizable paragraphs or more in length. However, a post could be solid without the size requirements, as long as it gave a powerful enough message to make up for it. In the case of when one post is too much, I believe that a post should end only when the author has exhausted the material he or she wishes to reveal or write about. This may again get a little irritating, but I would not hesitate to read a post, unless it exceeded about four thousand words. In this case, the author has probably made a mistake in considering how much information he or she needed to include.

4. Yes, often. I think everything in a roleplaying post is significant enough to warrant description, and anyone who discards specific environmental details or the larger thought process of their characters is not doing what is entitled by "roleplaying." They must sense everything through their character's point of view, and if the description does not complete or mostly complete this view and role, it is not worth posting. A character, above all, should think and act as they would by the guidelines of their intended personality and other factors.

5. Roleplaying, at the core, is about being a role. It is the simplest definition, and makes the most logical sense. I believe any roleplayer can find their highest point of satisfaction in getting as close as possible to truly living their characters. It might sound cheesy, but it is obvious. When I post, I am striving for both this purpose and to giving the illusion to the reader (another roleplayer) that I am said character.

6. I have lost interest in at least one roleplay I can think of in the last six months, however, in this situation I continued to post as if I had not. I believe signing up for a roleplay is a committment and adhere to the fierce philosophy that my last post in a dying thread should always be very near to the last post. A roleplayer who signs up for a roleplay is vowing their loyalty, that they will post. I believe that there is no reason to stop posting because of loss in interest, and that the roleplayer is just as entitled to providing their own entertainment as the host is. In a situation where a roleplayer grows bored with their character, they should approach the host with the problem, and in most cases the host should oblige. There is always a new direction for a character to go, and this alone can add additional life to a boring character.

7. There are situations in which excuses make perfect sense, cases in which internet access is impossible or terribly restricted. However, when the infrequent posting is attributed to stress or other minor factors, I do not typically accept these excuses. I do believe that a devoted roleplayer knows how and when to make time to post, and should have a method of posting that allows this process to be efficient.

8. I read everything, plain and simple. I believe that anyone that does not is not participating to their fullest, and does not have the knowledge required to keep the interaction between characters as accurate as possible. Every little detail deserves some attention, and each post should be treated as such.

9. In my experience, threads do tend to be better off with an original idea, rather then one based in pop culture, but this has its exceptions.

10. Mostly anyone doing the opposite of any of my views stated above.

11. Likely in my last post with my character Oiyg, from The River. I could understand the slow change in emotion that occured through the post, and of her level of innocence. I believe this often does not happen because we fail to play our characters to the fullest, due to lack of enthusiasm, but is not so hard to achieve as people think.

Emotional Faun Chiko-sai
30th November 2005, 03:32 AM
1) Wait for at least one person to post before you do... it makes the topic look less monopolised and you look less desperate to post. *whistles*

2) I generally like to wait for the other half of my interaction to post before I do (if they don't I poke them until they do), unless I have preconceived subplots for the character I'm playing in the RPG, or I feel particularly motivated to move on (usually after a week or two of zero interaction). I know about the whole 'keep the RP moving' and stuff.. but sometimes it's so hard to squeeze the words out of your brain...

3) Solid post? Eh, at least three paragraphs with four forum lines in them - that's a decent post. Solid posts could be about the same length but plus character introspection/interaction. I try to make my posts at least one screen long on Wordpad. I don't discriminate against what people do or do not include in their posts, (unless it's the horrendously obvious) nor do I have a particular preference for long or short posts. (As long as somebody posts... I'm happy)

4) Um.. hehe.. not yet? I'm sure I will be, eventually, if I keep those 2000-word posts up >< What I like for description in posts: Usually the character's mindset or thinking style, or other characters seen through the character's eyes. (Especially if it's mine.. I get all eager to post when it's my characters people are describing *easily excited*)

5) RPing for me is sort of like writing fiction but with a handy plot and premise provided for you so you can enjoy the ride and won't ever have to worry about where your 'fiction' is going. Reading people's signups to RPGs you have joined is like fiction lottery - you don't know what people are going to sign up as, nor how their characters are going to interact, nor any of the subplots that might develop, but you keep going back for more because it's addictive. I realise that I haven't answered the question properly.

6) Lost interest in one roleplay but I think I was one of the last ones to post there anyhow ^^; And I feel really guilty if I sign up for an RPG and I back out in the middle, lately I've been trying to cut back on that (*cough* last year it was a different story *hides*) so I make my own characters as interesting to myself as possible (ie. add subplot, draw the characters, humorous narration, etc) so that I won't lose interest in writing posts. However, if you lose interest and also are unable to fake interesting posts, maybe it's better to stop posting entirely?? I mean, you should talk to other people and/or beg them to help integrate your character back into the RP first, though.

7) I'm rather for being lenient, cos I'm not such a prize myself. Oftimes if the rules part of the RPG dictates how often you should post then naturally the RPer should try to adhere to the rule, or at least ask/beg the GM for more time if you really can't cut it.

8 ) I usually skim through it first, and then when I'm posting I open another window and reread it in detail. Very often I save the page for reference when I'm writing more complicated posts.

9) If the participating RPers' characters are interesting, then automatically the RPG will become interesting to me, whatever the theme.

10) Not much bothers me unless it's bad grammar or people being unreasonable about little things. Neither of which happens much in this forum.

11) I dunno. Always? I'm always procrastinating my posts till the last minute but when I actually write them the enthusiasm comes up to the surface again. Lately in Otherworld I found that I like to write Erensuge and Ortze's aunts more than Ortze himself... this is bad o_O

Weasel Overlord
30th November 2005, 05:54 AM
1) What do you think the proper time is to wait between posts before you post again?

-I usually wait until at least one person has posted before I do another. Although I don't tend to show such haste if I have no ideas for character development....eheh...

2) Have you ever, or often, found yourself waiting for another person to post? Do you think it was possible for you to post in this situation? Why or why not?

-If I'm waiting for someone to post, it's usually the other half of character interaction...I never feel sure of how to pertray someone else's character though, which always makes me wait a while until the other half posts. Unless I realy have to, mind.

3) What do you consider a solid post? Is there a specific number of words/pages/(other measure) that you adhere to when deciding when it is proper to stop?

-I write by feeling. Because of this, I never have a set word number or page number...I'll stop when the post is done, and I always know when it is, so that's ok! ^^ Although, for some, *cough*The River*cough* I have felt the need to write longer posts...

4) Have you ever been accused of being too verbose? What do you consider the most important part of description in a roleplaying post?

-Not to my face, although I'm sure some people think it. ^^;; An interesting post combines description with character development, and without sufficient description, I feel that a post is lacking. Description is everything, and good writers know this.

5) What, at the core, is roleplaying about to you (besides the entertainment)? What purpose are you trying to accomplish when you post?

-I'll admit, at first, role-playing to me was all about improving my writing style, and as a writer, I feel that it helps me greatly. However, the more I role-play, the more addicted I become...Creating characters is so much fun ^^ And then developing them is brilliant practice! I'd say the best thing about role-play, though, is interacting with other people. So many different characters, and styles of writing come together in one RPG...it rocks!

6) When was the last time you lost interest in a roleplay (recently, a while ago, or another relative measure of time)? Do you think "losing interest" is a real reason to stop posting or post with no enthusiasm? Do you consider signing up for a roleplay a committment, or do you always feel you can back out at some point, or when the thread starts to die?

-I have to say, it wasn't that long ago. Making excuses bothers me, but when the GM loses interest too, it is so much harder for the normal players to get back into the story.
I don't think 'losing interest' is a good reason at all. It smacks of excuse-making and it also reflects on the Gm's ability to make the RPG interesting. Although, if someone hasn't been reading a thread and keeping up with the story, they can easily be lost in a fast-paced RP...although it is entirely the fault of the person in question. It doesn't take ten minutes to read through the latest posts, and using 'losing interest' as an excuse seems like laziness to me...
Role-playing is pretty much a commitment, and when I sign up, I usually stay at least until most people have stopped posting. Backing out, well, I feel guilty for doing that...and I try to avoid it as much as possible, unless there's the question of exams of something like that. If you don't want to be in an RPG, then why bother signing up in the first place?

7) What is your opinion of excuses, no matter how true? Does the average roleplayer deserves some leniency, or to be a true roleplayer, should you make time?

-Excuses, hah! If someone has a real reason for not posting, then they usually tell the Gm in advance. Guilt for not posting seems to show by the fact that the non-poster never gives an actual reason for their absence, when surely it would be much easier just to pm the GM and say that they don't wish to continue...People don't bite! And if role-players need help, well, I can say that GM's are willing to help with posts. I don't think any GM would turn away a confused role-player, and if they did, then they wouldn't be a particularly good GM now, wouild they?
Leniency should be allowed but only is a reason has been provided or posted in the AWAY topic. I use a three warning system thing, and even then I feel mean, despite the fact that I think you should make time for role-playing if you sign up.

-All of it. Many times, because I always have a window open for reference while I'm doing a new post. It helps to get people's characters right, and plus, I always forget which tense I'm using...^^;;

9) Are threads better off when not based on pop culture (anime, books, movies, etc.)?

-While I think that thread are better for some originality, it is very hard to actually come up with a truly original idea. A lot of people like to 'cater for the masses', as it were, by using old, many used stories, when just as many people would sign up for an original idea.
Although the occasional popular culture RPG is welcome, some people will no doubt feel excluded, as, for example, they have not seen the anime that the RPG is based on. And for some, the ones who know the story, it is even more fun. I for one will always sign up for a Final Fantasy RPG if there's one going...guess I'm just a sucker for them, although I've yet to see a truly original FF story...

10) What thing(s) bother(s) you most about people's current outlook on roleplaying?

-Since when has description been a bad thing?? That's all I'm gonna say...

11) When was the last time you really felt your character? Why do you think it has not happened in other situations?

-I feel all of my characters! Although some are closer to my heart than others. After writing them for a while, I become more attracted to them as I reveal more of their character. For example, my Otherworld character, Mara. When I first wrote her, she was just a plot-device...and now, she's turned into, like, my favourite character. Not only that, but she's really fun to write! ^^

Hyperness is a Good Thing
30th November 2005, 07:54 AM
1) If I have enough time... well as soon as someone interacts with me, then I start posting. If not, I usually wait for about 2 posts, then I'll post and look for someone to interact with.

2) Well obviously if I'm interacting with another person's character, I feel it's decent to at least let that person post, just in case I go ahead and post too much and end up distorting that person's character. But if that person doesn't post after..about 2 weeks I guess I'll go ahead and post and stop waiting.

3) I basically post as long as I feel is reasonable - enough character interaction, or self introspection... not too short.. roughly around 400-500 words, but I don't have the ability to churn out super long posts of good quality. If my posts are too long they're basically crap. But that's just me.
4) Me? Too verbose? Nah. Character description I guess. Not necessarily outright, but through their words, thoughts and actions you should be able to convey your character's personality(something I haven't mastered yet)
5) Weeelll.. I look at roleplaying as a fun way to improve my writing skills in a way. In a way roleplaying also enables me to go thru different experiences, as well as put me in situations that I would have never considered otherwise.
6) I lost interest about a year ago. In fact I've only recently started posting again. I lost interest because at that time the RPG forum was dying, and no one was posting in the topics that I was posting in.
Unfortunately, I am guilty of backing out of a rpg after signing up - >.>. But trying not to do that anymore. Will post as much as I can.

7)Roleplayers have lives outside the roleplay too. I think they deserve leniency. ^.^

8 ) Most of it... if there's a whole lot, I take a quick glance through, then as I post, I open the thread in another window and read the posts more carefully.

9) With enough creativity, anything's good. Personally don't mind if it's based on a book or anime or something.

>.> Not too sure how to answer the last two questions..so ..*shrugs*

Drusilla
30th November 2005, 12:22 PM
I think I'm going to drive some people insane with my answers because I'm a firm believer in the rule of exceptions: nothing should ever be concrete or nonnegotiable.

It depends on how fast a given role-play is moving. I was in one several years ago where we had at least half a dozen posts an hour for two or three weeks. An RP like that needs to be posted in as often as possible, otherwise characters can get dropped and lost in the forward movement of the action. Then there are some where there will be days between posts, and with some circumstances, it's perfectly understandable. For the average active RP, I'd say to check at least every other day unless it's impossible to do so, and post when you feel like you have something to contribute or when your post is holding up everyone else. Posting just to stay active is all right to an extent, but it gets to a point where it's just meaningless filler and distracts from the plot.

*coughs* Yeah, and sometimes I can understand why someone can't post; life goes on, and posting has to be put on hold sometimes. Sometimes people are just lazy and that kind of irritates me, especially if it's my RP... I'm doing my best not to name names here... When I can post and cover for whomever it is that's being waited for, I go ahead and do that, but sometimes it's not always possible without taking liberties that the other posters may have problems with. Unless you're sure of where everyone involved wants to go, it's often just better to go on and find something else to do while you wait. Patience is a virtue and all... and I'm sure that there are many people here who can testify that even if I had that tattooed to my forehead I wouldn't remember it half of the time, but hey, I'd like to think that I'm getting better.

A solid post is one that actually accomplishes something. I've seen "short" posts that were very solid... and long ones that just kind of wandered about. If I can get the point that I wanted to get across out there, then I'm more than likely content. I try to keep it a good length, especially since people tend to complain about wanting more of my work (lol), and I don't want it to seem half-assed.

Not that I know of... or that I can remember, anyway. Description should be balanced; having too much on one aspect and not enough on another makes a post kind of lopsided. It should be natural, not forced; don't want to sound like you ate a thesaurus and then vomited it into your post.

I like being able to explore different aspects of my own personality, because that's what almost all of my characters are. I can't really "get into" a character who is too different from myself. I like to delve into the parts of me that are too dark, dangerous, perverse, whatever for the real world to be exposed to, or to put my lighter self in the foreground, something that I really don't do either. It's a way for me to express the extremes of my inner Self.

6) When was the last time you lost interest in a roleplay (recently, a while ago, or another relative measure of time)? Do you think "losing interest" is a real reason to stop posting or post with no enthusiasm? Do you consider signing up for a roleplay a commitment, or do you always feel you can back out at some point, or when the thread starts to die?
When I "lose interest", it's really just that I don't have any inspiration to post and no one else puts forth any effort to move things along. I lose interest in RPs when it gets to a jam and no one shows any intention of going on. I've been working on some ways to un-stuck some plots, but life is insane... Ah, I'll get to it. Signing up is a commitment, but there's not point in forcing people to post, and it's a collective effort to keep things going.

It depends (but with me, it always does). I know that I feel bad about having to PM people all the time about not being able to post because of school, work, illness, or more often than not, a combination of all three keeping me from posting. I don't have internet at home, so I can only post from school, the public library, or whore off of a friend's connection, all of which are over half an hour's drive from my house. However, there are people who have internet and free time but always seem to come up with excuses... Each case has to be judged alone in my mind. Everyone should make the time, because if I can pull myself out of bed early on a Saturday after working until midnight on a Friday just so I can go to the library to post before work, then anyone with net should be able to at least check in with everyone a couple times a week.

8) How much of a roleplay do you actually read?
Sometimes I will read every single damned word... sometimes I'll skim over to see if there's anything that I need to pay attention to for character interaction purposes. Depends on who wrote the posts, how much time I have, how involved with my character any given post is, ect. I try to do everyone justice when I can, but with my life the way it's been, I'm not always able to.

Some RPMs can pull it off, but some shouldn't even bother. It depends on personal style, who signs up, and how closely tied to the original idea the plot is. Most people don't seem to realize that Dream of the Archer, one of my dormant RPGs, is based on a song by the band Heart and is therefore based on "pop culture". Again, I must say that each case must stand alone.

There seems to be a bit too much emphasis on planning stuff and not enough on the actual roleplaying. It's great if you've got a killer idea, but it's not great when that idea just kind of... dies.

Wow, that sounds dirty...

Uhm, yeah.... I'm doing so now and try to always be able to connect with my character by giving her (99% of the time I play female characters... ah, well) some part of me so that I can get into the mindset and really give a realistic spin on my posts.

Heald
30th November 2005, 02:50 PM

This depends on whether I'm waiting for someone else to act or not (which is usually always the case). This can take either one or ten posts, although by ten posts I usually take the initiative to move things along.

Yes, very often. RPGs are all about interaction and if you end your post waiting for another interaction, it helps stimulate the game and character development.

At least a paragraph. Two is normally sufficient. However, don't make it too long with pointless details. I've seen too many of thoses.

I'm usually blunt and to the point. I don't like reading waffle, nor writing it, so I don't. Simple as that. Description is good but only if it actually furthers the development of the RPG. I don't care what shade of brown your character's hair is, I want to know what they're doing and why.

Character development. An RPG is an adventure, with a beginning, climax and an end for every character. Each character will develop relationships with every other character, whether loving, hating or just respectful relationships. The characters will also be changed themselves and go through a change of attitude or personality. A coward may become a hardened warrior. A great leader may become a paranoid schizophrenic. In my eyes, if your character can still be described exactly how you described them in the sign-up topic, you have failed.

If it is an open-slot RPG then there is less of a level of committment. However, if there are limited slots or items and you take one, you should guarantee you'll see the RPG to the end. I always try to stay committed but I usually lose interest through lack of others posting or lack of interaction with other characters.

Obviously we all have busy lives; no one will notice if you're away for a couple of days, and we can stretch a couple of weeks, but roleplayers that are absent must make up the time they lost by being even more active when they return.

None of the waffle. If a character has a soliloquy or a diatribe, I will read it, as it usually has some relevance to their personal development and reveals their insights. I also follow what the character is doing, saying, who they're talking to, who they're with and why. I also usually search for my character's names using the find function so I can reflect any developments in my next post.

Pop culture can be helpful in providing material for an RPG, but can also be restricting. For example, Star Wars RPGs often suffer from continuity issues, as do Dragonball RPGs, which is a shame since they're both such rich universes. However, I do encourage well-thought out original concepts.

The lack of committment.

Hm, a toughie. I guess I never really engage with my characters on a personal level. I sort of connect with Legion in Blood & Magick, as I know his mysterious personality and his spontaneous agenda.

Kiara
9th January 2006, 04:39 PM
If its more then two-four people it would be kinda hard to post unless your like a god or something... but anyways. To me, I wait till the two people have at least posted after mine. Or if there is only one other then post right after me and then I would after them...
Uhhhh yes? Like too many times to count.. pisses me off really. I really don't care about the situation, as long as it goes along with my story.
A soild post to me is at least 4-6 paragraphs... if not that then at least 2-3 paragraphs. Im a literate rper and I enjoy writting when I can write. I like everything that a literate writer likes...
Verbose? Uh, actually no not yet. I like to detail my work if the other person that I am rping with doesn't thats their fault. They decided to rp with me. But hey who can choose? The most improtant thing to me is the picture. What you say turns into a picture... or thats what my english teacher said.
Well I have a story I need to accomplish and I haven't found anyone that is willing enough to do at least two books full of rping.... and its kinda hard. My characters life needs to be wrote and I am going to do it darn it. But yet.... my character's life is what im accomplushing right now.

Uhm, TOO TIRED! Lol anyways, usually my excuse is writers block.... that and I get on way late so im tired as heck. I think that everyone should have lenisency (whatever that means...)
It depends. If its mine the whole thing. If its a friends I skim threw it and get the basic idea.
Sometimes, it depends on the person I suppose...
I don't mean to be mean towards those who do this but to me, I hate first person rp... its just blah. Nothing no meaning to me.
Long time ago, actually only 7 months. I think is because im hardly bored anymore and I have a life (yay! Finally O_o; ) but then again who does? lol

Mew Master
9th January 2006, 06:50 PM

Well, as long as someone else has at least posted after you did. Then it doesn't matter. In some fast moving RPGs (Chains of Dragons) we went from the first post to 5 pages in two weeks.

More often than not, and half of the time it's mostly my fault as I hit an artistic/writing slump. Which reminds me to post in CoD...

If you like what you're writing and your post isn't ignored, then it's a good solid post. As long as it has a bit of character development,

Well, I've seen some bad RP. I've seen just diologue without any description or anything... which is pretty sad in my opinion. The most important part of description, is detail. Detail, detail, detail. If you want to make sure your view gets across to the other players, you have to be as descriptive as possible in each and every one of your posts.

I'm trying to tell a story. It's like being the GM and player in a Table Top game. You have to be able to keep yourself level with the other characters, but you have to also make sure that you don't have your character in the spot-light too often. The only difference is that if you create the RPG, you have a path you want to follow for the story, where as in Table-Top, the players make the story.

I want to say I didn't lose interest... More like life caught up with me. College, a combination of stress and goofing off, caused me to ... ahem.. vacate from the RPG Online world. I came back, trying to spark interest in some of my more famous (or infmaous) RPGs. Creating an RPG should be a commitment, not just joining. If the creator of the RPG loses all interest in the Game, then players lose interest because direction and drive is gone. This is when RPGs start to die. The most long-lasted ones are Games where players and creators have a feverish desire to know what happens next. In this case the only thing limiting the RPG is imagination and time to write everything down.

Well... we all have lives outside this mind-numbing board (hard to imagine, huh?). Usually things catch up to us and we can't get out of it.

I try to read all the posts from the beginning of the topic to make sure that players actions don't interfere with what I'm planning, or someone else's idea is taken before I can present mine. Usually it's a first-post-first-serve, but I try and read everything, usually missing small details.

Depends. All pop-culture has enough of a following to allow decent RPGs to come out of them. Personally I try and base mine off of games or use my own imagination for a way-point.

Which one? Online or Table-Top? The people who RP or the people who watch the others RP?

I don't feel my characters... I don't swing that way. XD! J/k It depends. Usually I go through moods. Stages of interest where I'll be interested in one of my many ideas over others. From March till about the last two weeks of December I was in a World of Darkness kick. This usually shows up in my art. Before that I was on a Dragonoid: The Legend of Fire Storm kick, and before THAT I was in a Dungens and Dragons mode... It goes on till we get back to actuall Online RPGs.