PDA

View Full Version : Charizard unfair?

DarkMarowak
6th March 2003, 11:00 AM
I was watching a recorded episode of "Charizard's Burning Ambitions" the other day. It had been a while since I've seen it. Anywho at the begining, Misty and Brock where telling Ash that... now I don't know exactly what they said, but something along the lines of "You use Charizard too much and it's unfair."

EXCUSE me? But since when is using a powerful Pokemon unfair? The gym leaders always use their almost unbeatable Pokemon (ex: Whitney uses Miltank, Blanie has Magmar and Drake uses his Dragonite) and by Misty and Brock's logic, it would be unfair for Misty to use Psyduck in any battles and Brock shouldn't had used Onix against Ash in the 5th episode. :mad:

I say if you spent a lot of time and skill training a Pokemon to it's final level, AND you had to go through hell and back trying to get it to respect you, then by all means you should be allowed to use it when you want to use it.

Anyway, what do you guys think about that?

Oh, and here's a reason why you should never make a Jigglypuff mad... **points to attachment**

[attachment deleted by admin]

The Muffin Man
6th March 2003, 12:52 PM
They most likely mean it's unfair to Ash's other pokemon. They can't get strong like Charizard if Charizards the only one battling.

Light_Togetic
6th March 2003, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I agree, I don't think they have very much right to tell Ash which pokemon are "too powerful" for him to use. I mean, I was really enjoying seeing Charizard actually working with Ash rather than always doing a Victreebell and practically killing him everytime he was let out. I think what Misty and Brock said was more like the writers saying, "Hmm, look Ash, Charizard's gotta go because, well, we've accidently made him too strong, so now there's no challenge when you need to beat people. So, yeah, he's gotta go." They could have just made the gym leaders tougher than Charizard, and have Ash use his newer, less experienced Johto pokemon in regular battles.

And when push comes to shove, Jigglypuff can get pretty ticked-off! I wonder if it'll ever show up in Hoenn...

Hanada Tattsu
6th March 2003, 07:35 PM
I remember that Jigglypuff clip, it's from the Kanto episode "Clefairy Tales" if I'm not mistaken. It's funny, I love Jigglypuff, it's cute but scary...
:o

Anyway, I think the writers just want Ash to have the cute, cuddly Pokemon, and when they saw Charizard getting stronger and stronger (especially in Johto) they decided to let him go.

I don't know why they're doing this. I mean, what's wrong with Ash using a powerful Pokemon? It's cool, and I think one of the reasons kids turned away from Pokemon is because they wanted to see stronger Pokemon...

BenRG
7th March 2003, 02:51 PM
Ash definately has certain 'favorite' Pokémon that he always uses if he can. Pikachu is one, of course, and so is Charizard. I think that Snorlax is in that grouping too, as is Bayleef and Totodile.

Regarding Bayleef and Totodile, I've seen them used in tandem several times. I wonder if the producers are setting us up to see Ash using them in a 2-on-2 battle in the Houen League at some time? 8)

AKA Pokemon Fan
7th March 2003, 06:50 PM
I think that Misty and Brock's comments had a dual meaning.

1.By relying on Charizard, instead of his own skills, all the time Ash's skills won't improve as much as they would otherwise, and neither will his other Pokemon.

2. Using Charizard in regular battles is unfair toward the OPPONENT, because the average trainer has no chance of defeating a Charizard. Misty and Brock's point was partly that Ash shouldn't flaunt his strongest Pokemon against trainers who are clearly unprepared to fight them.

This philosophy may be one of the reasons Ash left all but one of his Pokemon back at Oaks when he went to Hoenn.

Rudoku
8th March 2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by AKA Pokemon Fan
I think that Misty and Brock's comments had a dual meaning.

2. Using Charizard in regular battles is unfair toward the OPPONENT, because the average trainer has no chance of defeating a Charizard. Misty and Brock's point was partly that Ash shouldn't flaunt his strongest Pokemon against trainers who are clearly unprepared to fight them.

So you're basically saying its the same BS that people spew when someone uses a Curselax or Legendary in battle? And they shouldn't punish him because everyone else sucks. If they want to use their Yanma, Aipom, or Caterpi, its their fault for losing...

BTW... Charizard vs. Casey's team was my favorite battle(That little punk deserved it!):D

Rei_Zero
8th March 2003, 08:19 PM
It was unfair, because the trainer you were facing was just starting and you were already using one of your strongest pokemon. Think about it, you are a little kid being picked on by a bully. Do you think that's fair?? I don't think so. Also, in the game it wouldn't matter because people don't have emotions, so I should say "STOP COMPARING CERTAIN UNCOMPARABLE ASPECTS IN THE GAME TO THE ANIME"