PDA

View Full Version : Characters

Gavin Luper
15th December 2005, 01:17 AM
Okay, well, it doesn't seem like this lounge is very loungey lately, so, in keeping with the theme of it being a Writer's Lounge, I thought I'd start off some light conversation.

I have a basic question - who is your favourite character in a fic (or any published book, for that matter) that you have come across in your life? Or even not necessarily a favourite character, but just a character that really stood out as unique or funny or special or whatever?

For me, I'd say I have two clear favourites as far as fics go - namely, Sal from Mist/PancaKe's "Lapras Valley High" and Jessica from Oz Andrew's "Electric Buggy To Victory".

Sal because, well, she was just so different and such a tough person, despite all the reasons she had to basically fall apart. But she held it all together, and still managed to be a cool person and have a sense of humour.

And Jessica because she's just so ... unique. Her annoying teenybopperness somehow makes her more likeable - at least, in the fic. The funniest thing is that Oz actually based her on his sister. :D

Also, Lady Blastoise in LVH, because she was just so great at being evil in a torturous way. She was a character you really did love to hate. And Jackie, in LVH also ... she was cool.

As far as real books go, I have too many to choose from, honestly. I'll try again later when I've had some time to think.

In the meantime, what about everyone else??

mr_pikachu
15th December 2005, 03:44 AM
Yeah, Sal was a pretty interesting character. I loved all the emotion there, and the tension and suspicion really made for an intense perspective. I'm fond of Gavin (the character) from Lisa the Legend, too. Especially with where his character is right now; we sort of know the struggle he's gone through, but I kinda think that we don't have a complete perspective of it. It's interesting how his personality has two sides; he's cynical most of the time lately, but we really saw another side of him come out a couple of chapters ago. I won't spoil it for those of you who haven't read it, though. A fic I think is fairly under appreciated is Tiponi, Dæmon League Quester. That has several unusual characters, but I think Medwin really stands out for me. You can't help but love his straightforward demeanor.

As far as published books go, I'm fond of the Artemis Fowl series. I'm intrigued both by the title character, Artemis, who's the kind of character you know you should hate, but yet you love him anyway. The portrayal in that series is really unique. I also like Foaly, the sarcastic, ingenious centaur. Again, very unique.

Dragonfree
15th December 2005, 05:31 PM
For real books, I love Dolores Jane Umbridge from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix for some reason. She's just the kind of character you can really hate; villains tend just to be "evil" and not somebody the reader will hate, but Umbridge is not like that.

In fics, I'm very fond of Sen from Tangled Web by ChicRocketJames (although admittedly I like Gale the Chansey too, from the same fic).

Lady Vulpix
15th December 2005, 05:39 PM
On books and other things there are lots of characters I really like, I don't think I could list them all. On TPM fics I like Ashley from LVH, and Shockwave from Lune the most.

mistysakura
16th December 2005, 04:07 AM
Well, my favourites have to be anti-protagonists (is that a word? I mean main characters who are "bad", in case it isn't.) Like Sen from Tangled Web, or Damon from Damon's Menace, or Artemis from Artemis Fowl. I guess it's because I find it fascinating to enter the minds of those who would be considered immoral, and look at their ways of thinking, their logic and justifications for their actions. And it's an interesting thought, to think that the acts of immoral people make so much more sense than those of people driven by emotions and morals.

And then there are the characters that really draw you in, and make you experience emotions as if they were real. Like Umbridge; so much hate directed towards a fictional character. Just beautiful how JKR could make readers feel that sort of intense emotion.

Then there are also ones I admire, like Sal from LVH, just for all her strength, and Ellie and Robyn from the Tomorrow series, for the same thing. They could have been such messed-up people, and kind of are, but they're managed to find a way to survive.

Lastly, the complex ones who you sympathise with, even if they're not a thing like you, because you understand them so much, and yet they're so unpredictable; it's a contradiction. Like Hamlet, with all his personal issues and stuff.

And I'm sure there's lots I've forgotten.