PDA

View Full Version : When Did You Find Out the Truth? [SPOILERS!!!]

Metallixs Girl
20th December 2005, 03:13 PM
How old were you and what happened when you found out the truth about Santa and the rest?

I was seven, and at Walmart at Easter. There were pre-filled Easter baskets everywhere and I asked my mom why the stores sold Easter baskets if the Easter Bunny brought them? (remember I'm half-blind and I wasn't very observent as a kid... My mom never actually bought pre-filled, she always filled them herself, so that also heightened my curiosity of pre-filled baskets) That's when she told me about the Easter Bunny, and a little while later on the way home, I asked did that include Santa and the Tooth Fairy, and she said yes. I wasn't really surprised I don't think, and I didn't freak or anything.

When my sister found out, she said she'd already figured it out because Santa's and Mom's handwriting was the same, lol.

How about y'all?

Crazy
20th December 2005, 04:59 PM
I was never actually told, I figured it out at about 9. I spotted my parents putting presents under the Christmas tree one night and kept it to myself.

Heald
20th December 2005, 06:21 PM
I come from a fairly religious family, so I never believed in Santa or the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy in the first place. I worked out God didn't exist on my own.

Zak
20th December 2005, 06:42 PM
Well, even though I obviously haven't gone through the whole believing in Santa Claus thing, most of the stories I've heard about it tend to mirror my experience with the tooth fairy. And my cousin broke that one to me when I was about 7, and I got mad and didn't believe it was my parents. lol

~Zak

Sceptile_Master
20th December 2005, 07:23 PM
I come from a fairly religious family, so I never believed in Santa or the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy in the first place. I worked out God didn't exist on my own.

WTF how can you work out god if God exists or not?

Metallixs Girl
20th December 2005, 08:10 PM

I have a very religious family too, God's not in the list...O_o

Magmar
20th December 2005, 08:13 PM
he's trying to imply that God's a fairy tale his parents told him about in place of the tooth fairy, etc. let's avoid the issue. people tend to freak at the discussion of god.

Anyways. I was 6, actually. I saw my stupid father putting the presents under the tree.

The_Missing_Link
20th December 2005, 10:00 PM
As with Zak, I didn't have to go through the whole Santa deal but I stopped believing in the tooth fairy around 7 or 8. After watching my mom exchange teeth for dollar bills while I was half-asleep on a couple of occasions, I asked her about it and she 'fessed up. Wasn't much of a big deal though

Number1ChanseyFan
20th December 2005, 10:29 PM
Meh, my parents would always sign a couple of presents as being from them, and then sign the ones from Santa in different handwriting, I guess they were trying to stay one step ahead of me or something. It didn't really work though. lol I started suspecting that Santa wasn't real when I started elementary school, and all of the "cool" kids didn't believe in Santa. When I was like 8-9 years old, my "curiousity" led me to finding where my presents were being hidden, and when I woke up on Christmas morning, I found out that some of the things that were from Santa were hidden away in my parent's bedroom a couple of days before. They would always keep the door locked around Christmas time, but I became so obsessed with finding out where my presents were, I bent a coat hanger and picked the lock to their room and snooped around. I never actually told my parents that I knew Santa wasn't real though, because I thought that they wouldn't buy me as many presents if they knew that I knew. ^_^

Meh, I am not the smartest person around, but when I put my mind to something...

Gavin Luper
21st December 2005, 01:09 AM
My mum let slip about the tooth fairy and stuff when I was about 8 ... I think ... and then she figured I knew about everything - when in fact I was too stupid to put two and two together. So when I was 9 I asked her whether Father Christmas would be able to get a certain present and she said "well, i'll see if i can ..." or something ... heh ... and then it clicked. Took me awhile though.

:rolleyes:

*senses this topic is going to veer horribly off track at some point*

Katie
21st December 2005, 03:08 PM
2nd grade-ish, I flat out asked mom and she sat me down with her and my dad to have a talk. I think they expected me to get depressed or something, I was just like "ok." they told me not to tell any of my classmates, but I rubbed it in the "I TOTALLY SAW RUDOLPH IN THE SKY GUYS" kid's face anyway. I think I got in trouble. I can't remember very well.
my brother on the other hand is in 6th grade, and he just "found out" this year. either he's really dumb or he figured it out on his own but didn't have the heart (guts?) to tell them.

I still get presents that say 'from santa'. :)

edit: tooth fairy and easter bunny I don't think I ever really believed in.

Lady Vulpix
21st December 2005, 06:45 PM
I thought that was going to be the subject when I saw the title of this topic. Well, when I first heard of Santa (I must have been 3 or 4 years old), it was from my parents, and they told me he was a myth created by Christians, so I never believed in him. Same with the 3 mage kings, or sages, or whatever you call them. I was already in primary school when I first heard about the Easter Bunny, and I thought it was a symbol; I didn't know some people thought it was real. They did tell me something about mice giving money for fallen teeth, but it was clear that it was a metaphore, and since we were little both my brother and I reminded our parents to give us the mice money. It's a wonder how we both ended up loving fantasy, with the parents we have.

Jeff
21st December 2005, 08:59 PM
WHAT? Santa isn't real?
[/obligatory]

Anyway, I can't really remember when I stopped beliving in all that stuff, I remember being in sunday school when I was little and as we were walking out of the classroom, one of the kids said that the Easter Bunny wasn't real, but I still believed for a while after that. I guess I just gradually figured it out for myself.

dratinihaunter13
21st December 2005, 09:05 PM
I think I was around 7 years old when i found out the truth. my parents expected me to get really depressed too, but i actually got angry at them for lying to me. and then i cried.... shouldn't this topic have a spoiler tag or something??!!!!

Heald
22nd December 2005, 06:30 AM
Sorry, I thought people might have realised I was joking about the whole 'God' thing.

Metallixs Girl
22nd December 2005, 10:52 AM
Sorry, I thought people might have realised I was joking about the whole 'God' thing.

Sorry, I wasn't expecting that kinda reply so I was a bit taken aback...^^

Spoiler tag added, it completely slipped my mind to do that, sorry...

Heald
22nd December 2005, 10:54 AM
No, thank you :) Merry Christmas

MeLoVeGhOsTs
22nd December 2005, 01:06 PM
Well, I just asked my parents when I was 6 or 7. My mom told me it wasn't real. I told everyone I knew and got in trouble for that. My mom always told me I was to exited. Oh the times...

PancaKe
22nd December 2005, 05:43 PM
um i found out the year that i begged santa to make me magic
and it didnt happen :(
then mum told me.
i was 9.

she told my sister (who is 11) this year. and she was okay with it, but it was funny. bronzie keeps teasing her about it now :p

Drago
22nd December 2005, 06:08 PM
I can't remember what year it was, but I found out when my dad (who's never been big on holidays) said to my mom how 'Christmas and Easter are too expensive' without realising I was in the near vicinity.

And I thought to myself, that ain't right, how could Easter be expensive if it's all the work of the Easter bunny? From there, it was fairly simple stuff. I came to the conclusion that all these characters weren't real, and even if they were, they weren't really very magical. I mean, Santa only ever got me toys I had seen in the store. Isn't he supposed to make the things? ...I wanted one of those wooden trains that nobody ever seems to get.

Ever since I did the math though, Santa doesn't give me presents anymore. I wonder if he's mad at me.

Heald
22nd December 2005, 07:15 PM
I know you were only kids, but seriously, what kind of moron seriously believed for one second that Santa Claus existed?

Oh, and thanks for replying on my Blog Pancake.

Drago
22nd December 2005, 07:42 PM
Meh, I was a very stupid child, I suppose. I guess I just didn't think my parents had any reason to lie.

Craig
22nd December 2005, 08:52 PM
I don't remember how old I was, but I just remember walking into my moms room and I saw one of the gifhts in the corner of my eye. It was a totally awesome power rangers megazord action figure thing. I was like ooh yes!! :D

come christmas, it said to craig FROM SANTA

I was wronged:( I kept it to myself.

Heald
23rd December 2005, 04:34 AM
I don't remember how old I was, but I just remember walking into my moms room and I saw one of the gifhts in the corner of my eye. It was a totally awesome power rangers megazord action figure thing. I was like ooh yes!! :D

come christmas, it said to craig FROM SANTA

I was wronged:( I kept it to myself.
I had a Megazord. It fucking pwnt.

The Blue Avenger
23rd December 2005, 04:12 PM
I don't remember when i found out the truth. I guess it was more of a gradual process. My grandmother, on the other hand, still thinks I believe in Santa.

However, I can't say anything regarding Santa's existance either way while my brother's in earshot, because he still believes in Santa.

Mr.Pokemon
24th December 2005, 01:02 AM
It happened when I was young, I was 6 years old and asked if robbers could come down the chimney as well and my dad replied "Of course not. Even if Santa was real there would be no way he could come down that tight little squeeze".

OOPS!

Crystal Mew
24th December 2005, 01:50 AM
I dont remember how old I was exactly, but I do know it was in church. when the pastor preached against satan clause, and how he was fake...I refused to beleive it. but deep in my heart, I knew it was true.

church ruins the fun out of LIFE i am telling you!!

and I wasnt to big on the easter bunny or the toothfairy.

rofl, my poor sister stopped beleiving when we moved. and she lost a tooth...and the tooth fairy failed to come to our new house..haha my mom felt so bad

edit: I forgot to mention that I got presents at my grandparents house aswell, and she always had nametags that said "to: samantha, from: GUESS WHO????" as in santa clause. the fact is they never matched my parents...lol.

I beleive my grandma put "guess who????" on last years presents too. hah

shazza
2nd January 2006, 11:23 AM
I was nine at the time, 1998. I assumed this for many months now, but never had confirmation from my mother or father. Finally I forced it out of her.

Snowbunny
2nd January 2006, 11:44 AM
My parents never encouraged me to believe in him.

When I was 8, I hid in the kitchen (which was adjacent to the living room at the time) waiting for him the entire night. He never came.

I was always skeptical about the entire thing anyways. I guess I "forced" myself to believe because most of the other kids did.

en0miz
4th January 2006, 11:15 PM
I think around 5 I was skeptical because we live in an apartment and therefore don't have a chimney. Plus I remember when we used to put out cookies and milk, the glass would actually have my mom's lipstick on the edge, lol. I never believed in the Easter Bunny and all that though.

Perfect Chaos
5th January 2006, 07:05 PM
The Easter Bunny thing was a big hoax for me. I was like 6 when people started telling me about it and I actually laughed my ass off at them for even trying.

Santa Clause, I stopped believing at about 7, when I put milk and cookies out and then witnessed my sister eating them while I hid and looked. Needless to say, I didn't get anything for Christmas for being "naughty" ;). "Naughty" my ass

-sean

Malheur
5th January 2006, 07:34 PM
I don't think I can actually recall a time when I believed in Santa Claus. ^^;
I suppose that's because I'd always be so excited on Christmas Eve that I'd stay up all night, and eventually I'd hear my parents bringing presents downstairs.

Razola
8th January 2006, 10:46 PM
You discovered it while working on your tax return.

Dark Scizor
8th January 2006, 11:32 PM
I used to always stay up till around midnight on Christmas before going to bed.

I tagged that Santa didn't exist as far back as I can remember. I got fooled by the Tooth Fairy until I was about 4 or 5.

Heald
9th January 2006, 01:38 PM
You discovered it while working on your tax return.
Simpsons reference FTW

rinni the bard
10th January 2006, 05:14 AM
I found out the truth about the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy very young... I can't remember how. I think I just asked and my parents told the truth. They continued to insist on Santa Claus, so I believed in him until I was about 7 or 8. I remember I was playing dress-up and looking in my mom's closet for a pair of high-heeled shoes, when I discovered a garbage bag containing TOYS!!! She-Ra dolls! "Moooom, there are TOYS in here! SHE-RA! WOW! Are these for me?"

My mom worked in a hospital where they had a Christmas party every year for the kids in the hospital and the employees' children, so she said they were toys for the kids at the Christmas party.

But when Christmas Day came... there they were. That's how I found out.

I was the first of my friends to find out, too. I tried to keep it from them but eventually wound up telling them and making them mad.

RedStarWarrior
11th January 2006, 03:14 PM
Santa is real. He is just black and, therefore, doesn't visit cracker supremists like you. ;) Just kidding, Jesus may be black, but old fat'n'jolly is white. I think that he was real as some point and time, but some redneck accidently killed him ("Get off my property!").