PDA

View Full Version : GAME: The First Riddle Game Championship [Congrats to the winner, Ace64!] (M.A.)

mr_pikachu
1st January 2006, 05:03 PM
The First Riddle Game Championship
Hosted by Charizard04621 and mr_pikachu
Mod Approved by Wolfsong

Welcome to the first-ever Riddle Game Championship! This special event for the popular Riddle Game will determine who on TPM is the greatest at solving riddles. There are many unique, one-of-a-kind riddle figurines up for grabs for those who can figure out the puzzles crafted by your hosts, and a special, custom championship figurine with a trophy for the competitor who wins it all!

Before we begin, however, it is important that the rules of the competition are explained. Even if you have played the Riddle Game before, please read these instructions, as they are slightly different from those of the regular Riddle Game.

COMPETITION RULES

1. The goal in this game is to correctly guess what Pokemon is being described in each riddle. Each riddle contains just enough information to allow you to figure it out – but you have to figure out just what that information is first!

2. In this event, any of the 386 Pokemon may be the solution to any of the riddles.

3. This thread is both for the competition itself and for signups. Anyone on TPM (excluding Charizard04621 and mr_pikachu) may sign up for this event at any time during the competition. However, those who sign up after the event has begun will be at a disadvantage, as they will miss the earlier opportunities to win figurines and score points in the game. To sign up, simply make a post in the thread telling the hosts that you want to participate. (If the competition has already started when a player signs up, guesses may be made in that post as would normally be allowed.)

4. The competition will consist of five rounds, each of which will include two riddles – labeled “Tau” and “Phi” – that will both be posted at the beginning of the round. Each round will continue until either both riddles are solved or until one full week passes since the start of the round. An unlimited number of total guesses may be made on each riddle, so don’t worry about guessing too much.

5. Participants may make up to a total of four guesses per post. Since two riddles will sometimes be available for guessing at once, players must divide their guesses between the two riddles. For example, a player may choose to use three guesses in a post on the “Tau” riddle and one on “Phi”. Or a player could use all four guesses on “Phi”, or make two guesses on each riddle, etc. Keep in mind that you are not required to use all four guesses in a post; you could decide simply to make a single guess on one riddle in a post, for instance. But no more than four guesses per post.

6. Once you have made a post in the game with riddle guesses, you may not post again in the competition thread until either Charizard04621 or mr_pikachu has judged whether or not your guesses are correct. As soon as either host has confirmed correct guesses and rejected incorrect ones, you may guess at the remaining riddles in the round again.

7. For each guess you make, you must explain why you think the guess matches at least ¾ of the riddle, rounded down to the nearest line. For instance, if the riddle is four lines long, you must give an explanation for at least three of the lines. If the riddle is six lines long, then you only need to explain four of the lines, since that would be ¾ of the total riddle rounded down to the nearest line.

8. The only riddles given in this competition will be taken from a collection of specially designed riddles by Charizard04621 and mr_pikachu. Participants need not worry about posting new riddles once they have solved the ones in this competition. The only task set before you, the players, is to solve as many riddles as you can.

9. For each riddle a participant is the first to solve correctly, that player will win the unique figurine in question as well as one point for the competition.

10. The winner is the competitor who has earned the most points once the fifth round is completed. In the event of a tie for first place, a final tiebreaker riddle will be given only to those players who are tied for first. The first remaining participant to solve the tiebreaker riddle will then be the champion. Some rules for the tiebreaker riddle (such as number of guesses allowed, the time limit, etc.) may be different from those in the rest of the competition. This is solely at the discretion of the hosts.

11. Since Charizard04621 and mr_pikachu are the hosts, they will not be allowed to compete. Their job is to be the judges and hosts, while anyone else may compete freely.

12. Good luck to everyone, and have fun!

This thread will be for signup purposes only for two weeks from the time of this post. After two weeks have passed, the competition will begin. Players may still sign up throughout the competition by posting in this thread as mentioned before.

Let the games begin!

Current Standings:
Ace64 - 2 points
Lady Vulpix - 1 point
Plantae - 1 point
Magmar - 0 points
Green Lanturn - 0 points
mistysakura - 0 points
TheBlueAvenger - 0 points
Wolfsong - 0 points
----------------------------------

Magmar
1st January 2006, 05:13 PM
I'll give it a shot, if I'm eligible.

mr_pikachu
1st January 2006, 06:05 PM
To clarify, anyone other than Charizard04621 and myself is eligible. Welcome to the contest, Magmar!

Lady Vulpix
1st January 2006, 08:09 PM
I would like to participate as well.

mr_pikachu
1st January 2006, 09:26 PM
Your name's been added to the list. It's good to have you in the game, Lady V!

Green Lanturn
2nd January 2006, 09:25 AM
Well, Ive answered a couple before, so what the heck, ill take a shot at it.

Sign me up, please.

~GL

mr_pikachu
3rd January 2006, 12:08 AM
Welcome to the competition, Green Lanturn!

Also, to clarify, the grand prize is a custom figurine holding the championship trophy. The introduction to the rules has been edited accordingly.

Charizard04621
3rd January 2006, 05:33 AM
Looking good! Still over a week left for open signups. I'm hoping we'll get a nice turnout. After all, this is a specifically semi-annual contest. ^_^

Nice work, mr_pikachu. I wish I could edit Green Lanturn into the list, but I can't. *steals Gabi's supermod powers*

mistysakura
3rd January 2006, 07:11 AM
Hey, I've been reading the riddle threads since forever, just never got around to posting... figured I'd change that this time. Count me in, please.

Charizard04621
3rd January 2006, 12:28 PM
Always welcome. Thanks for signing up! The more, the merrier. I'm looking forward to this =)

Lady Vulpix
3rd January 2006, 02:36 PM
*steals Gabi's supermod powers*
I can always help if you ask nicely.

Magmar
6th January 2006, 10:20 AM
This sounds like fun. I loved the riddles.

Charizard04621
9th January 2006, 08:52 AM
Thanks for updating the list, Gabi.

Four participants so far; not bad at all! I'd like to ask you to tell your friends about this game and encourage them to join. It won't hurt at all, they won't be forced to do anything, and it'll just be for a little bit of fun. ^_^

Ace64
9th January 2006, 05:21 PM
I'll give it a shot.

mr_pikachu
9th January 2006, 11:03 PM
Ace64, welcome to the competition!

Charizard04621
14th January 2006, 11:36 AM
Cool, 5 participants so far. Any last-minute joiners, or will we only see more after the game starts? There isn't much time left to sign up.

mr_pikachu
15th January 2006, 03:10 AM
Okay, it's time to get things going! If anyone is reading this who hasn't signed up yet, remember that you can register at any time.

Good luck to everyone.

ROUND ONE

Tau
If I fly past the sun,
I will shrivel under its light.
If I succumb to the gray cold,
I will be bathed in new power.
If I show you my weapons,
You will fear my twin blades.
Who, can you tell me, am I?

Phi
I accompany jelly, though I lack a good taste,
If the timing is right, then I’ll battle with haste.
My power will grow as we work through the fight
If you’re not prepared, then I’ll be out of sight!

Incorrect Guesses - Tau (0)

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (0)

Let the games begin!

Magmar
15th January 2006, 09:27 AM
I'm willing to guess that the Phi riddle is "Beedrill" and here is why.

"I accompany jelly, though I lack a good taste,
If you’re not prepared, then I’ll be out of sight!"

Accompany jelly --> Bees do that.
Lack a good taste --> Well... please, it's a bee.
The next two lines imply Beedrill's special ability, Swarm, where its Bug-type attack power increases if it takes a lot of damage during battle. "The timing is right" may imply having 1 HP remaining due to Focus Band.

Lady Vulpix
15th January 2006, 02:34 PM
For the Tau riddle, I think it's Scyther.
If I fly past the sun,
I will shrivel under its light.
Scyther is a flying type, and is weak to fire.

If I succumb to the gray cold,
I will be bathed in new power.
A steel coat can cause it to evolve.

If I show you my weapons,
You will fear my twin blades.
Its scythes are natural weapons.

Charizard04621
15th January 2006, 04:06 PM
Magmar - Nice try, but that's not quite it.

Lady Vulpix - You got it spot on! You are awarded 1 point and a Scyther figurine.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (1)
- Beedrill

Ace64
15th January 2006, 04:17 PM
Since Scyther was right, I'm gonna believe you went with two bug types for this week's riddle. So, for the Phi riddle, I'll go with Ninjask.
Noy sure about this one.
If the timing is right, then I'll battle with haste
Ninjask have Speed Boost, which raises their speed after every round. Hence the timing?
Fury Cutter and Agility are both stat-boosting moves.
If you're not prepared, then I'll be out of sight!
After all those stat-uppers, Baton Pass takes Ninjask out of the battle..when you least expect it.

mr_pikachu
15th January 2006, 05:18 PM
Sorry, but Ninjask isn't what we're looking for. Good try, though.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (2)
- Beedrill
- Ninjask

Green Lanturn
15th January 2006, 10:33 PM
My answer to the Phi riddle will be Tropius.

Well, Tropius is the "fruit" pokemon, and most jellies are fruit based.

His ability, Chlorophyll, doubles its speed when it is sunny.

I can only say that he learns "growth."

Tropius can fly!

~GL

mr_pikachu
16th January 2006, 12:28 AM
I'm sorry, but that is also incorrect.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (3)
- Beedrill
- Ninjask
- Tropius

Keep guessing, people! Remember, you have an unlimited number of tries for each riddle!

mistysakura
16th January 2006, 12:48 AM
Phi: Ludicolo
Same idea as Green Lanturn: Ludicolo is basically a pineapple, which accompanies jelly, but you wouldn't want to eat one.

Ludicolo has Swift Swim: when Rain Dance is in effect, Ludicolo's speed is doubled

The other ability Ludicolo can have is Rain Dish: when Rain Dance is in effect, Ludicolo recovers 1/16th of its max HP. So it gains power as it recovers HP.

Not sure...

mr_pikachu
16th January 2006, 01:19 AM
That was a good try, but I'm afraid that you're still off-target.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (4)
- Beedrill
- Ninjask
- Tropius
- Ludicolo

Magmar
16th January 2006, 10:04 AM
The Phi riddle may be Gloom.

"I accompany honey, but I lack a good taste" -- the Pokedex refers to the drool coming out of its mouth as 'honey'... and Gloom smells bad.
"If the timing is right, then I'll battle with haste" -- Gloom's special ability is Chlorophyll, it raises speed with Sunny Day.
I think the final line, "out of sight", may refer to the clouds of spores that Gloom lets free when it spreads them--in the anime, you coudln't see through the clouds of spores.

mr_pikachu
16th January 2006, 06:06 PM
Another intriguing guess, but another incorrect one as well.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (5)
- Beedrill
- Ninjask
- Tropius
- Ludicolo
- Gloom

Magmar
16th January 2006, 07:38 PM
Before I resume any further, if the answer to the riddle is in the chain of evolutions, is that to be specified? For example, if this riddle's answer were Vileplume and I answered Gloom, would there be a way of denoting that I was very very close?

mr_pikachu
16th January 2006, 07:57 PM
It might be hinted at; it might not be. Some of that would likely depend on how close the guesser's reasons were to the actual explanations for the lines in the riddle. However, since this is a special event with a championship at stake, it is less likely than usual that hints of that nature would be given. And the specific Pokemon's name must be given in order for the riddle to be solved; a guess would not count for any other Pokemon in an evolutionary chain.

However, remember that in this event, you are allowed up to four guesses per post. This is enough to cover most evolutionary lines.

Phi

- Beedrill
- Ninjask
- Tropius
- Ludicolo
- Gloom

Green Lanturn
16th January 2006, 09:11 PM
Not neccessarily random guess, but not going with the current flow of knowledge. I guess Magikarp,Feebas, Milotic.

Feebas and Magikarp are fish pokemon, accompany jelly by word, jelly-fish. But i'd doubt you would want to eat either of these.

Both of them have swift swim, doubling their speed when it rains.

Well, they both....randomly...evolve into giants. Milotic also has the ability Torrent, which raises its power when his HP falls below 1/3.

Dive?

lol
~GL

Magmar
16th January 2006, 11:18 PM
I agree with you on the guess of Magikarp, and I think I might have the other missing pieces of the riddle...

The technique Flail grows in power as the battle goes on by taking on damage explaining line 3...

and if you're not prepared, the Magikarp will escape.... when you're fishing for it! You gotta press the button before it gets away.

Ace64
17th January 2006, 12:12 AM
Might as well take Tentacool and Tentacruel,too.

Both Tentacool and Tentacruel are "jellyfish," but you wouldn't want to taste them, as their poisonous.
If the timing is right, then I'll battle with haste,
Not sure about this one...Do Tentacool appear more at night?If so, then the "haste" part of it could mean that before long, you'll be battling one of them. The "time of day" is right, so you'll fight us soon.
My power will grow as we work through the fight,
Upon evolution, Tentacool grow up to eighty tentacles. That's a lotta growth. They also learn Flail as well.
If you're not prepared, then I'll be out of sight!
Another fishing reference, similiar to GL. Tentacool can be caught with rods, but if you mess up, they're gone.

Charizard04621
17th January 2006, 02:05 PM
Excellent efforts, but you have not yet arrived at the correct conclusion.

Phi

- Beedrill
- Ninjask
- Tropius
- Ludicolo
- Gloom
- Magikarp
- Feebas
- Milotic
- Tentacool
- Tentacruel

The Blue Avenger
17th January 2006, 03:45 PM
I'll sign up... and guess Butterfree.

Butter and jelly go together, right? And I'd bet a butterfly wouldn't taste very good.

Eheh, no clue on this one. ^^;

Butterfree evolves at one of the earliest levels in the game.

In the game, many players ditch their Butterfrees early on. Plus, Ash had to release his Butterfree. Also, Butterfrees fly.

Ace64
17th January 2006, 03:49 PM
Man, this is tough. Luckily, I'm persistent.

My guesses this time around: Marill, Azumarill,Azurill, and Meditite.
The first three have oily bodies... does oil accompany jelly? As for Meditite, no idea. Since his head looks like food, could that be jelly-like?
If the timing is right, then I'll battle with haste
Marill could best be found during one of the "swarming" seasons. They were difficult to find anytime else.
[i]My power will grow as we work through the fight[i]
Easy here, all of them have trait Pure Power or Huge Power, which doubles their attack in a fight.
[i]If you're not prepared, then I'll be out of sight![i]
Marill and evolutions are good swimmers with oily fur, and also learn Dive. Can Meditite teleport after evolution?

mr_pikachu
17th January 2006, 06:07 PM
Welcome to the competition, TBA!

Unfortunately, the round continues, as none of those guesses were correct.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (15)
- Beedrill
- Ninjask
- Tropius
- Ludicolo
- Gloom
- Magikarp
- Feebas
- Milotic
- Tentacool
- Tentacruel
- Butterfree
- Marill
- Azumarill
- Azurill
- Meditite

Magmar
17th January 2006, 07:00 PM
I'm thinking Bellsprout, possibly?

Bellsprout resembles a beanstalk, and... hehe... jelly bean?

Chlorophyll 2x speed in sunlight

Wrap and Growth?

I'm... not sure. Maybe if Bellsprout gets hit by Sand Attack and can't see or... somethin'

The Blue Avenger
17th January 2006, 07:15 PM
Is this Ditto?

Ditto certainly looks the part. Prob'ly doesn't taste good, and his taste can't be that good either if he'll copy anybody.

Transform into a fast Pokemon and you'll be fast. Or Transform into Togepi and get Haste as an ability.

Transforming makes Ditto stronger.

He might Transform into a Ghost type.

Ace64
17th January 2006, 07:28 PM
Qwilfish?

I'm going with the "jellyfish" theme... qwil ain't jelly, but you wouldn't eat him either.

Swift Swim.

According to the Pokedex, they suck up water to grow in size.

Another one of the "swarming" Pokemon, I think. Pretty hard to find these guys, as you had to wait for a call.

mr_pikachu
17th January 2006, 07:43 PM
You've got some interesting ideas, but no correct guesses, I'm afraid.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (18)
- Beedrill
- Ninjask
- Tropius
- Ludicolo
- Gloom
- Magikarp
- Feebas
- Milotic
- Tentacool
- Tentacruel
- Butterfree
- Marill
- Azumarill
- Azurill
- Meditite
- Bellsprout
- Ditto
- Qwilfish

Ace64
17th January 2006, 10:12 PM
Man... 18 guesses and no one's even close. Mudkip, Marshstomp, and Swampert, just to get them all covered.

Phi
The Pokedex says that their body is covered with a thin, sticky film. Jelly is sticky, even when you was it away. And I'm pretty sure their film is poison.

All three are fast swimmers in water.

Mudkip can crush rocks bigger than itself. Marshtomp can beat any foe on muddy ground. Swampert can drag boulders weighing a ton. Not bad. :)

Dive?

mr_pikachu
17th January 2006, 10:19 PM
Good try, but I'm afraid that's still incorrect.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (21)
- Beedrill
- Ninjask
- Tropius
- Ludicolo
- Gloom
- Magikarp
- Feebas
- Milotic
- Tentacool
- Tentacruel
- Butterfree
- Marill
- Azumarill
- Azurill
- Meditite
- Bellsprout
- Ditto
- Qwilfish
- Mudkip
- Marshtomp
- Swampert

mistysakura
18th January 2006, 05:34 AM
Exeggcute/ Exeggutor?
Do eggs accompany jelly? At least I'm pretty sure coconut syrup does, and Exeggutor's head look like coconuts...

They both have Chlorophyll, doubling their speed when it's sunny.

Exeggutor's heads steadily grow larger from exposure to strong sunlight. (Which would also fit with when the timing is right.) And do larger brains mean more power? Alternatively, when Exeggcute evolves, it changes from a lowly verb to a noun with a will of its own and the power to "exeggcute". Terrible pun, I know.

I'm not quite sure. They get Hypnosis, Reflect and Sleep Powder, so perhaps blinding the opponent could be a way to get out of sight?

A very long shot, but nevertheless...

mr_pikachu
18th January 2006, 05:41 AM
Nice attempt, but the riddle has still not been solved.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (23)
- Beedrill
- Ninjask
- Tropius
- Ludicolo
- Gloom
- Magikarp
- Feebas
- Milotic
- Tentacool
- Tentacruel
- Butterfree
- Marill
- Azumarill
- Azurill
- Meditite
- Bellsprout
- Ditto
- Qwilfish
- Mudkip
- Marshtomp
- Swampert
- Exeggcute
- Exeggutor

Magmar
18th January 2006, 06:16 AM
For my 4th guess, I nominate Seedot.

[Seedot is a nut. Peanut better and jelly?]

[Chlorophyll]

[Bide!]

[I'm... not too sure on this one.]

mr_pikachu
18th January 2006, 06:28 AM
A good try, but it's still off the mark.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (24)
- Beedrill
- Ninjask
- Tropius
- Ludicolo
- Gloom
- Magikarp
- Feebas
- Milotic
- Tentacool
- Tentacruel
- Butterfree
- Marill
- Azumarill
- Azurill
- Meditite
- Bellsprout
- Ditto
- Qwilfish
- Mudkip
- Marshtomp
- Swampert
- Exeggcute
- Exeggutor
- Seedot

Keep guessing, everyone!

The Blue Avenger
18th January 2006, 04:49 PM
Grimer/Muk?

Jelly-looking, although they'd taste nasty.

They're slow, so you'd have to time things right to get things over quickly.

They can poison, which would weaken the foe - making them comparatively stronger.

I dunno... maybe they'll disappear down a sewer?

mr_pikachu
18th January 2006, 09:41 PM
Good thoughts, but I have to add those guesses to our growing list.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (26)
- Beedrill
- Ninjask
- Tropius
- Ludicolo
- Gloom
- Magikarp
- Feebas
- Milotic
- Tentacool
- Tentacruel
- Butterfree
- Marill
- Azumarill
- Azurill
- Meditite
- Bellsprout
- Ditto
- Qwilfish
- Mudkip
- Marshtomp
- Swampert
- Exeggcute
- Exeggutor
- Seedot
- Grimer
- Muk

Wolfsong
18th January 2006, 10:43 PM
I'd like to play not sure how mcuh time i will have btu it sounds fun. Not sure how good i will do but it will be fun to try.

My guess is for either Plusle or minun.

Phi
Not sure about this one actually ^^;
Plusle and Minun both learn quick attack, agility, thunder wave, and helping hand. These moves can help them be quick in battle.
Plusle and Minun have traits that power them up when they are sent into battle with the other plus and minus. They also get helping hand so workign together one can help the other make strongerattacks
Both Plusle and Minun can get substitute as a bred on move. When its used in the games the user disappears from the screen and replaced with a little doll. *shrugs*

mr_pikachu
18th January 2006, 10:53 PM
Welcome to the contest, Wolfsong!

Unfortunately, though your reasons were intriguing, I'm afraid your guesses were inaccurate this time.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (28)
- Beedrill
- Ninjask
- Tropius
- Ludicolo
- Gloom
- Magikarp
- Feebas
- Milotic
- Tentacool
- Tentacruel
- Butterfree
- Marill
- Azumarill
- Azurill
- Meditite
- Bellsprout
- Ditto
- Qwilfish
- Mudkip
- Marshtomp
- Swampert
- Exeggcute
- Exeggutor
- Seedot
- Grimer
- Muk
- Plusle
- Minun

Zak
18th January 2006, 11:45 PM
I'm going to join... not sure how much time I have though.

and guess Heracross, since no one else guessed that yet.

Ace64
19th January 2006, 12:09 AM
Here's a long shot: Miltank.

At first, the only thing accompanying jelly I could think of was peanut butter. No pokemon has anything to do with peanuts, but butter? Peanut, Butter, and Jelly. Butter is made from Milk, therefore, Miltank. But you wouldn't like a jelly and butter sandwich, would you? (Then again, you might.)

Bide! Wait two turns, then end the battle "with haste."

Rollout, Milk Drink. Both raise "power" (attack/HP)

Er... out of sight, in the barn, being milked?

mr_pikachu
19th January 2006, 12:13 AM
We're happy to have you in the competition, Zak! Welcome!

Unfortunately, I can't accept the guess of Heracross because of the following rule for this game:

7. For each guess you make, you must explain why you think the guess matches at least ¾ of the riddle, rounded down to the nearest line. For instance, if the riddle is four lines long, you must give an explanation for at least three of the lines. If the riddle is six lines long, then you only need to explain four of the lines, since that would be ¾ of the total riddle rounded down to the nearest line.

So, for this riddle, for instance, you need to have a reason for your choice that covers at least three of the four lines in the riddle. Wolfsong's last post would be an example of that; the first line did not have a reason given for the guess, but the second, third, and fourth lines were all explained. That's what makes this game interesting; you can't simply guess what Pokemon the riddle describes through luck. It requires a little thinking.

If you'd like to add enough reasons, however, then the guess will stand; or, if you like, you can make a different guess or guesses. I hope you continue to play the game, though. :)

As for your guess, Ace64, it was another good one, but it still isn't what we're looking for.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (29)
- Beedrill
- Ninjask
- Tropius
- Ludicolo
- Gloom
- Magikarp
- Feebas
- Milotic
- Tentacool
- Tentacruel
- Butterfree
- Marill
- Azumarill
- Azurill
- Meditite
- Bellsprout
- Ditto
- Qwilfish
- Mudkip
- Marshtomp
- Swampert
- Exeggcute
- Exeggutor
- Seedot
- Grimer
- Muk
- Plusle
- Minun
- Miltank

Zak
19th January 2006, 01:46 AM
Fine then...

-Heracross likes sap and jelly.

-Guts Ability, the "timing" being when it has a status condition.

-The Bug power will grow when the HP is low.

-Safari Capturing.

~Zak

mr_pikachu
19th January 2006, 02:16 PM
Those are some good reasons, but unfortunately, Heracross isn't the correct response. Good try, though.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (29)
- Beedrill
- Ninjask
- Tropius
- Ludicolo
- Gloom
- Magikarp
- Feebas
- Milotic
- Tentacool
- Tentacruel
- Butterfree
- Marill
- Azumarill
- Azurill
- Meditite
- Bellsprout
- Ditto
- Qwilfish
- Mudkip
- Marshtomp
- Swampert
- Exeggcute
- Exeggutor
- Seedot
- Grimer
- Muk
- Plusle
- Minun
- Heracross

Green Lanturn
19th January 2006, 06:38 PM
Another round of trials then. Could this possibly be Sunkern, Bulbasaur, or Oddish?

Bulbasaur and Sunkern are both SEED pokemon. Some jellies and jams, because they are made of fruit, are often accompanied by pleasant seeds. Oddish also uses the move, sweet scent, which I thought might have SOMETHING to do with jelly, as I know especially grape jelly has a very strong smell, that is quite nice.

But honestly, would you eat a bulbasaur, or a weed like oddish? no.

Both sunkern and oddish know chlorophyll, raising their speed when it is sunny.

Growth, perhaps? Also, sunkern can use ingrain to gain HP through the fight. Bulbasaur also has the ability to raise his attack power when he has low HP.

Really not sure on this one, except that they can learn flash, sleeppowder, and occasionally acid.

and here I am thinking Gabby probably has this one worked out as well, and is just dying to reveal it!

~GL

mr_pikachu
19th January 2006, 06:50 PM
That was a good try, Green Lanturn, but with less than three days remaining in round one, the Phi riddle remains unsolved.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (32)
- Beedrill
- Ninjask
- Tropius
- Ludicolo
- Gloom
- Magikarp
- Feebas
- Milotic
- Tentacool
- Tentacruel
- Butterfree
- Marill
- Azumarill
- Azurill
- Meditite
- Bellsprout
- Ditto
- Qwilfish
- Mudkip
- Marshtomp
- Swampert
- Exeggcute
- Exeggutor
- Seedot
- Grimer
- Muk
- Plusle
- Minun
- Heracross
- Sunkern
- Bulbasaur
- Oddish

EDIT: Corrected the amount of time remaining in the round.

The Blue Avenger
19th January 2006, 08:43 PM
Uhm... Gastly/Haunter/Gengar?

They can breed with Grimer, who's sort of like jelly. They're poison, so they wouldn't taste good.

Heh, um, no clue.

They can learn a variety of health-sapping moves, like Dream Eater.

They're Ghosts. They disappear.

mr_pikachu
19th January 2006, 08:57 PM
Again, good guesses, but none are correct.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (35)
- Beedrill
- Ninjask
- Tropius
- Ludicolo
- Gloom
- Magikarp
- Feebas
- Milotic
- Tentacool
- Tentacruel
- Butterfree
- Marill
- Azumarill
- Azurill
- Meditite
- Bellsprout
- Ditto
- Qwilfish
- Mudkip
- Marshtomp
- Swampert
- Exeggcute
- Exeggutor
- Seedot
- Grimer
- Muk
- Plusle
- Minun
- Heracross
- Sunkern
- Bulbasaur
- Oddish
- Gastly
- Haunter
- Gengar

The Blue Avenger
19th January 2006, 09:00 PM
Koffing/Weezing.

Koffing and Grimer are counterparts in Red/Blue.

There's no other way for a Koffing to battle with haste unless the timing is right. They're really slow.

Draining attacks again, along with attacks like Toxic and Will o Wisp to drain the enemy.

This sounds vaguely like the Team Rocket theme song. James had a Koffing. Also, Koffings Explode. They'd be out of sight then.

mr_pikachu
19th January 2006, 09:15 PM
Good try, but I'm afraid you're still off-target.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (37)
- Beedrill
- Ninjask
- Tropius
- Ludicolo
- Gloom
- Magikarp
- Feebas
- Milotic
- Tentacool
- Tentacruel
- Butterfree
- Marill
- Azumarill
- Azurill
- Meditite
- Bellsprout
- Ditto
- Qwilfish
- Mudkip
- Marshtomp
- Swampert
- Exeggcute
- Exeggutor
- Seedot
- Grimer
- Muk
- Plusle
- Minun
- Heracross
- Sunkern
- Bulbasaur
- Oddish
- Gastly
- Haunter
- Gengar
- Koffing
- Weezing

mr_pikachu
22nd January 2006, 06:48 PM
The first round of the Riddle Game Championship is now complete.

Since the Phi riddle was not solved, its explanation and solution will be given below.

Phi: Skiploom

“Skiploom” is similar to “Skippy”, a brand of peanut butter. In fact, a trainer in the anime used "Skippy" as his Skiploom’s name.

Skiploom’s speed increases in the sunlight thanks to its ability, Chlorophyll, so the time has to be appropriate for it to take advantage of that.

This refers to Leech Seed, which gives strength to Skiploom throughout the battle. Also, the word “grow” is a subtle hint of Skiploom’s part-Grass characteristic.

In the anime, when Ash was overconfident about entering a Grass-type tournament, he neglected to train the night before the competition, and his new friend’s Skiploom used Double Team to defeat him. Ash didn’t prepare, and the Skiploom was “out of sight”, thanks to Double Team.

The second round will begin shortly.

Charizard04621
23rd January 2006, 08:57 AM
Thank you mr_pikachu for making up for my terrible memory! Now that that's sorted out, let Round Two begin.

The Riddle Game Championship - Round 2

Tau

I’m very unkind when you come up too close.
It’s not like I’m cocky, though I do sometimes boast.
I just want to warn you – approach me with fear.
With all of my friends, I’ll ravage you here!

Phi

A power nap is trying for some,
But my balanced strength is as good as they come.
A late addition gave me a position
So I’ll fight for you, no matter what the condition.

All right, happy guessing!

The Blue Avenger
23rd January 2006, 09:20 AM
Phi: Snorlax?

Snorlax certainly power naps, and it's not trying for him.

Snorlax has fairly balanced stats.

Snorlax was added to Ash's team in the Orange Islands, way after the rest of his at-that-point current team.

Snorlax can power through burn and paralysis with Rest, poison with Immunity, and Fire/Ice attacks with Thick Fat.

Ace64
23rd January 2006, 11:08 AM
Tau:Mankey, Primeape, Gyarados

In the anime, Mankey and Primeape beat the crap out of Ash for looking in his eyes. Gyarados had a similiar reaction.

All three can learn Swagger, which my Thesarus tells me is similiar to a boast.

Gyarados are the atrocious Pokemon, known for destroying whole cities. Mankey and Primeape are known for destroying whole...bodies. Their anger makes them terrible enemies.

In the anime, TR was once beaten up by a pack of Mankey. Also, multiple times, TR was torn apart by a group of Gyarados. And all three learn Thrash.

Phi: Abra(TBA may be right, but what the heck...)

Abra sleep 18 hours a day.

Abra's evolutions can serve in both offensive and defensive positions,learning Light Screen, Barrier, Protect, etc. as well as the elemental punches.

Not sure on this one. Maybe something to do with GBA games?

Abra's ability is Sycnronize, which passes on their status condition to the enemy.(Poison, paraylsis, burn.)

Charizard04621
23rd January 2006, 11:12 AM
Hmm, interesting ideas.

Tau

Incorrect guesses:
- Mankey
- Primeape
- Gyarados

Phi

Incorrect guesses:
- Snorlax
- Abra

Ace64
23rd January 2006, 11:31 AM
Tau- Fearow,Dodrio

Fearow fly up high in the sky, so I imagine they would be very protective of their territory. Dodrio will peck you if you approach their heads.

In the show, didn't Fearow challenge Ash's Pidgeotto?
Also in the show, I know that Ash raced against a Dodrio and his cocky trainer.

Fear-Fearow? If this is right, then the line is obvious.
Three heads, three brains, three sets of beaks- I'm a little frightened.

More anime ideas. In the anime/comics, a pack of Spearow and Fearow attacked Ash and Pikachu on the way to Viridian City.
Dodrio, on the other hand, has three heads. More than enough "friends" to tear you apart.

Phi- Slakoth, Vigoroth,Slaking
All three are very lazy, sleeping for around 20 hours a day. Plus, the Truant ability.

IDK about you, but in the game, these Gym Leader with these guys whooped me bad. Yawn, Swagger give them a chance to power up, then being Normal types, there are plenty of moves they can learn to beat you.

First appearance in the Ruby/Sapphire. A late addition to the Pokemon games?

Rest and Slack off are good for recovering HP and healing status conditions.

mr_pikachu
23rd January 2006, 02:23 PM
This is from the rules for this game:

5. Participants may make up to a total of four guesses per post. Since two riddles will sometimes be available for guessing at once, players must divide their guesses between the two riddles. For example, a player may choose to use three guesses in a post on the “Tau” riddle and one on “Phi”. Or a player could use all four guesses on “Phi”, or make two guesses on each riddle, etc. Keep in mind that you are not required to use all four guesses in a post; you could decide simply to make a single guess on one riddle in a post, for instance. But no more than four guesses per post.

Since there are more than four guesses in your latest post, Ace64, I'll only count the first four listed. Namely, the Fearow, Dodrio, Slakoth, and Vigoroth guesses will stand.

Unfortunately, none of those four guesses were correct. Good attempts, though.

Tau

Incorrect guesses:
- Mankey
- Primeape
- Gyarados
- Fearow
- Dodrio

Phi

Incorrect guesses:
- Snorlax
- Abra
- Slakoth
- Vigoroth

Ace64
23rd January 2006, 03:16 PM
Sorry about that. I know better. Might as well make sure...

Phi- Slaking
He's very lazy, sleeping for around 20 hours a day. Plus, the Truant ability.

IDK about you, but in the game, these Gym Leader with this guy whooped me bad. Yawn, Swagger give him a chance to power up, then being Normal types, there are plenty of moves he can learn to beat you.

First appearance in the Ruby/Sapphire. A late addition to the Pokemon games?

Rest and Slack off are good for recovering HP and healing status conditions.

mr_pikachu
23rd January 2006, 03:26 PM
Don't worry about it. Just try to limit yourself to four per post in the future. :)

As for your guess, Slaking is also incorrect. Again, good reasons, but you're still off the mark.

Tau

Incorrect guesses:
- Mankey
- Primeape
- Gyarados
- Fearow
- Dodrio

Phi

Incorrect guesses:
- Snorlax
- Abra
- Slakoth
- Vigoroth
- Slaking

Ace64
23rd January 2006, 04:52 PM
Tau- Tauros (heh.)

Tauros are lively animals that live in a hierarchy. They fight each other to prove dominance. In other words, they lock horns when they're close.

Boasting- what the victorious Tauros may do over the loser?

Tauros have the ability Intimidate.

Tauros travel in herds, and a stampede is the worst thing that can happen to you.

Phi

Ursaring hibernate, sleeping through the whole winter.

Ursaring have fairly balanced stats, with an Attack Stat in the top 10.

Er...

Status conditions raise his attack 50%.

mr_pikachu
23rd January 2006, 11:11 PM
I'm going to assume that you're guessing Ursaring for the Phi riddle, since it was listed twice in that riddle's summary.

Unfortunately, neither of your guesses were correct, despite some good reasons.

Tau

Incorrect guesses:
- Mankey
- Primeape
- Gyarados
- Fearow
- Dodrio
- Tauros

Phi

Incorrect guesses:
- Snorlax
- Abra
- Slakoth
- Vigoroth
- Slaking
- Ursaring

Lady Vulpix
24th January 2006, 03:45 PM
I'm not so sure about this, but could Phi be Castform?

All its base stats are 70, it doesn't get more balanced than that. It got its position in the pokedex late, being a 3rd generation pokemon. And it adjust to different weather conditions in battle. Not sure about the power nap part.

By the way, I would have never imagined there was a food named Skippy.

Charizard04621
24th January 2006, 04:53 PM
Nice try, Gabi, but unfortunately, that's not it.

Tau

Incorrect guesses:
- Mankey
- Primeape
- Gyarados
- Fearow
- Dodrio
- Tauros

Phi

Incorrect guesses:
- Snorlax
- Abra
- Slakoth
- Vigoroth
- Slaking
- Ursaring
-Castform

Ace64
25th January 2006, 05:15 PM
Tau-Arbok

It's a boa constrictor, incredibly strong. Not something you want to get comfy with.

Arbok can learn Swagger through Move Tutor.

The patterns on Arbok's crest are a warning sign to weaker enemies.

Heh...remember Indiana Jones? The snake room? Chances are, if you find one snake, there's two more you don't see.

Phi-Skitty, Delcatty (eh, worth a shot)

Cat naps. Don't have a cat, but I hear that's what they do.

Base stats seem pretty even...

Doesn't May have a Skitty in the show? IDk... haven't seen it in a long time.

No idea here...

mistysakura
25th January 2006, 06:22 PM
Phi - Ditto, Wynaut, Wobbuffet

None of them can learn Rest through any means, which is pretty rare.

For all of their base stats, attajk = special attack. In particular, all of Ditto's base stats are equal.

Don't know about Ditto, but Wobbuffet was introduced in GSC, after the original games, and also it was a late addition to Team Rocket. Wynaut is the pre-evolution of Wobbuffet, but it was added after Wobbuffet's appearance.

Whatever Pokemon the opponent comes up with, Ditto can transform into it. With the other two, Mirror Coat and Counter do a pretty good job of countering any offensive.

The Blue Avenger
25th January 2006, 08:58 PM
This is one of those 'random stab' guesses.

For Tau: Bellsprout/Weepinbell/Victreebel?

Venus flytraps. You wouldn't want to get close.

I guess Swagger?

Again, see the Venus flytrap bit.

In the Pokemon Adventures manga, a herd of Bellsprout and evolutions kidnapped Red while he was in the Safari Zone and almost ate him.

mr_pikachu
25th January 2006, 10:41 PM
All of those were excellent guesses, but I'm afraid that none of them were on-target.

Tau

Incorrect guesses:
- Mankey
- Primeape
- Gyarados
- Fearow
- Dodrio
- Tauros
- Arbok
- Bellsprout
- Weepinbell
- Victreebel

Phi

Incorrect guesses:
- Snorlax
- Abra
- Slakoth
- Vigoroth
- Slaking
- Ursaring
- Castform
- Skitty
- Delcatty
- Ditto
- Wynaut
- Wobbuffet

mr_pikachu
31st January 2006, 01:08 AM
Round 2 of the Riddle Game Championship is now over! Here are the explanations for the two riddles.

Tau - Carvanha

Carvanha are ruthless when their territory is entered by something else.

It learns Swagger and Taunt, which are two words that could be likened to bragging.

Anyone would be wise to use caution when approaching a Carvanha, as they possess Rough Skin. Also, it can learn Scary Face to cause more fear for its enemies.

If I have any friends, I’ll ravage you here!

Carvanha turn timid if they are alone. Also, the word “ravage” is similar to “savage”, and Carvanha is the Savage Pokemon.

Phi - Kingdra

Kingdra sleeps on the ocean floor to build its energy.

Kingdra has very balanced stats, with a little more HP and a little less speed than its other four stats, which average equally. It was an excellent choice for GSC battling; as a Water/Dragon type it had few weaknesses.

In GSC, Kingdra was added to the end of the already-present evolutionary line of Horsea and Seadea.

Its speed increases in the rain, but it’s a strong Pokemon even without that edge.

---------------

Now, it's time to get ready for Round 3!

Tau

Clarity, come to me,
Purity, help me see,
How can I face this world,
Its scorn for me?
I’ve changed since my younger days,
Learned the meaning of grace,
Still you remember what I used to be…
You leave me one choice only,
To escape swiftly across the sea.

Incorrect Guesses - Tau (0):

Phi

Seek for the truth in the altar of sun,
Delve in the earthe past the rising of light,
Search through the dawnn in the darkness of night,
Soar through dark spaece for the last of the lost;
Living is doomd – call for the brave,
In absence of one must couragge hold
Until finaly all is gathered;
Build back the ruins to restore order,
So once again nature will rest
And all will behold the one hunted by man and his bestial allies.

Incorrect Guesses - Phi (0):

Good luck to all of you!

Ace64
31st January 2006, 08:48 PM
Think I know this one..

Tau-Golduck, Psyduck (just to be sure.)

Clarity, come to me,
Clarity could mean a cool head. With Psyduck's evolution, the headache constantly plaguing it is gone.

Purity, help me see,
Purity- Refresh? One of bred moves, purifies them of status problems. Or, since Psyduck has a vacant gaze, evolving could help his sight.

Its scorn for me?
Scorn might be a bit strong, but the rep Psyduck got from the Pokemon show was less than flattering.

Evolution taught him to swim, whereas in the show, I remember seeing Psyduck nearly drown a few times. And Golduck at least looks way more graceful than Psyduck.

Obvious here... If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, then I think Psyduck.

Swift Swim isn't his trait, but from the Pokedex, they're highly capable swimmers.

mistysakura
1st February 2006, 05:25 AM
Phi -- Regirock, Regice, Registeel

Delve in the earthe past the rising of light, -- extra "e" in "earthe"
Search through the dawnn in the darkness of night, -- extra "n" in "dawnn"
Soar through dark spaece for the last of the lost; -- extra "e" in "spaece"
Living is doomd – call for the brave, -- extra "d" in "doomd" (well, it could be a missing "e")
In absence of one must couragge hold -- extra "g" in "couragge"
Until finaly all is gathered; -- missing "l" in "finaly"

Put all the letters together, and you get "elgend", which leads me to believe that the pokemon is legendary.
You have to do various things to the undergroudn cave to find them, which could be seen as restoring order to the ruins.
The braillein the cave where they are unlocked: "in this cave we have lived." "we owe it all to the pokemon." "but we sealed the pokemon away." "we feared it." This suggests that humans or Pokemon persecuted the three.

Charizard04621
1st February 2006, 11:55 AM
The Riddle Game Championship - Round 3

Congratulations, Ace, the answer was Golduck!

Tau

Clarity, come to me,
Purity, help me see,

Golduck gains a lot of mental capacity upon evolution; Psyduck's reputation tends to be tarnished by the "vacant" mind it seems to have.

Its scorn for me?

Not many people look upon Psyduck with lots of respect.

Golduck is reputed to be one of the fastest pokémon by sea, and a very strong swimmer. It is more graceful than Psyduck as a swimmer and as a battler in general, owing to its evolution.

As for the Phi riddle, great attempt ms, but that isn't the answer ^^

Phi

- Regirock
- Regice
- Registeel

Charizard04621
7th February 2006, 08:13 AM
Aww, come on, the second riddle is still there. It's been 6 days, does nobody else want to hazard a guess?

Lady Vulpix
8th February 2006, 04:27 AM
Well, the riddle reminds me of a few legendary pokemon plus Unown, but none seem to fit completely. I guess not having played any of the GBA games hinders me a lot. But for Unown, you have to restore some ruins in order to find them in GSC, and they're said to come from a different dimension, but I have no idea what man and his bestial allies have to do with it... or the sun for that matter.

mr_pikachu
8th February 2006, 04:40 AM
To clarify, are you guessing Unown for the Phi riddle?

Charizard04621
8th February 2006, 08:57 AM
And, to unpopular demand, the third round of The Riddle Game Championship comes to a close. I wish you'd kept guessing, misty, you got the reasons pretty close.

Phi

Seek for the truth prompts you to do just that, seek for the truth. Where is the sun worshipped? Where is it cherished? Without the sun, the Earth would perish, lifeless.

The "earthe" here has one extra "e" at the end; take it aside and you'll have the "truth". What is the rising of light? What signals the beginning of the day? Why, dawn does.

The "dawnn" has an extra "n"; put this away and you'll have "dawn". The coldest known place in the universe is the dark emptiness of outer space; this is referenced by the darkness of night.

The "spaece" here has an extra e; pull it out and you have "space". What is lost here? Is it physically unable to be found, or is it metaphorical, like hopes, dreams?

Doom signals the loss of hope; remove the d from the end of "doomd", as is instructed by "the last of the lost". I think we all agree that to be brave, one must have courage.

"Couragge" without an extra g is "courage".

We are shown the phrase "in the absence of one"; so we know that something is missing. With an "l", "finaly" will become "finally".

All is gathered - build back the ruins of the gathered pieces. Take the letters that were singled out from each of the above lines. This yields "enedgl". To build back the ruins, one must unscramble the pieces; the word I was looking for is "legend". This implies that the answer is a legendary.

This is only to clarify which legendary it is. What bestial ally does man have, that hunts? Horses and mules pull loads, cows give milk and food... Rephrased, who is commonly known as man's best friend? The dog! What is the dog's alleged enemy? The cat. What legendary cats are there? Two: Mew and Mewtwo. But can nature rest if the very cat is wholly unnatural in himself? The only naturally born cat here is Mew, which is the answer to this riddle.

The fourth round will be up shortly.

- Regirock
- Regice
- Registeel

Charizard04621
8th February 2006, 08:58 AM
And, to unpopular demand, the third round of The Riddle Game Championship comes to a close. I wish you'd kept guessing, misty, you got the reasons pretty close.

Phi

Seek for the truth prompts you to do just that, seek for the truth. Where is the sun worshipped? Where is it cherished? Without the sun, the Earth would perish, lifeless.

The "earthe" here has one extra "e" at the end; take it aside and you'll have the "truth". What is the rising of light? What signals the beginning of the day? Why, dawn does.

The "dawnn" has an extra "n"; put this away and you'll have "dawn". The coldest known place in the universe is the dark emptiness of outer space; this is referenced by the darkness of night.

The "spaece" here has an extra e; pull it out and you have "space". What is lost here? Is it physically unable to be found, or is it metaphorical, like hopes, dreams?

Doom signals the loss of hope; remove the d from the end of "doomd", as is instructed by "the last of the lost". I think we all agree that to be brave, one must have courage.

"Couragge" without an extra g is "courage".

We are shown the phrase "in the absence of one"; so we know that something is missing. With an "l", "finaly" will become "finally".

All is gathered - build back the ruins of the gathered pieces. Take the letters that were singled out from each of the above lines. This yields "enedgl". To build back the ruins, one must unscramble the pieces; the word I was looking for is "legend". This implies that the answer is a legendary.

This is only to clarify which legendary it is. What bestial ally does man have, that hunts? Horses and mules pull loads, cows give milk and food... Rephrased, who is commonly known as man's best friend? The dog! What is the dog's alleged enemy? The cat. What legendary cats are there? Two: Mew and Mewtwo. But can nature rest if the very cat is wholly unnatural in himself? The only naturally born cat here is Mew, which is the answer to this riddle.

- Regirock
- Regice
- Registeel

The fourth round will be up shortly.

Charizard04621
8th February 2006, 09:00 AM
The Riddle Game Championship - Round 4

Tau

I sprung from a mirror
Out into flames;
You thought you could control my destiny.
Had you had faith,
Under moon and sun
I could have shown you the meaning of love.

Phi

I’m lovely yet strong, a magnificent find.
To the one dear to me, I’m really quite kind,
So don’t cause any trouble! I’m ready to fight,
And I’ll crush you by striking with inverted light!

Ace64
8th February 2006, 02:43 PM
Yeesh. That last riddle was tough.

Phi-Skitty, Delcatty

Skitty are pretty rare, but known for being cute.

From the Pokedex, it is said that it is very hard to earn a Skitty's trust. Thus, they are very loyal to their trainer, after enough time.

Battle-ready.

The only Dark move that it naturally learns is Faint Attack. Darkness is the inversion of light?

Tau-Flareon, Eevee

I sprung from a mirror
Out into flames;
Eevee evolve from Stones. A mirror reflects an image. Flames give off light and heat. The 'reflection' of a Fire Stone caused Eevee to mutate into Flareon, giving it control over fire.

Before GS, the only way Eevee could be considered useful was if you forced it to evolve with a Stone. Thus, you controlled its path.

Had you had faith,
Had. Past tense, meaning that it's too late. I took this to mean that it's already evolved.

Under moon and sun
With enough love, Eevee can evolve into Espeon or Umbreon if it spends enough time in either the day or the night.

mr_pikachu
8th February 2006, 02:57 PM
Congratulations, Ace64; you have solved the Tau riddle!

Tau - Flareon

I sprung from a mirror
Out into flames;

Eevee is a palindrome, perfectly mirrored backwards and forwards. Flames implies its evolution to Flareon.

An evolution to Flareon involves a Fire Stone; it is a forced evolution, sometimes a false one that can happen as early as the Eevee is hatched.

Had you had faith,
Under moon and sun

Faith, hope, friendship, love - all these are required, in a mutual relationship between Eevee and trainer, for an evolution by night or by day into Umbreon or Espeon.

Good work, Ace!

However, the Phi riddle is still up for grabs.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses (2):
Skitty
Delcatty

Lady Vulpix
9th February 2006, 01:35 PM
Ok, this is a long shot, but... could it be Houndour/Houndoom?

I’m lovely yet strong, a magnificent find. <- They learn some powerful moves and have high Special Attack.
To the one dear to me, I’m really quite kind, <- They're said to excel in teamwork.
So don’t cause any trouble! I’m ready to fight, <- This could have something to do with the Early Bird trait, making them readier to fight than other pokemon should they be put to sleep.
And I’ll crush you by striking with inverted light! <- Darkness. I would have thought you read something I wrote, except that I haven't posted it yet. :P

mr_pikachu
9th February 2006, 09:00 PM
A good attempt, Gabi, but I'm afraid those guesses are incorrect.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses (4):
Skitty
Delcatty
Houndour
Houndoom

Charizard04621
13th February 2006, 03:27 PM
Two more days until this round expires... Come on, people, take a shot!

Ace64
13th February 2006, 09:20 PM
*groan*

I'll take a shot.

Phi- Milotic

They're said to be one of the most beautiful Pokemon around.

They evolve with maxed Beauty, which means the trainer must have spent quite a good deal of time with Pokeblocks...if I was fed that much, I'd be kind too.

Milotic's trait is Marvel Scale. "Trouble" would be a status affliction, which raises their defense by 50%.

At first I thought this meant darkness, but when I think of inverted, I then think of refraction, reflection. Mirror Coat is an egg move, which "inverts" a Pokemon's attack.Since it's 2X as powerful, I think that defines it as crushing.

mr_pikachu
13th February 2006, 09:24 PM
A very nice attempt; good reasons. But unfortunately, that's not quite what we're looking for.

Phi

Incorrect Guesses (5):
Skitty
Delcatty
Houndour
Houndoom
Milotic

mistysakura
14th February 2006, 01:41 AM
Phi -- Umbreon

Well, I think Umbreon's lovely (may also be an allusion to the happiness factor -- love makes it evolve), and it's not bad in battle. It's a "find" because it appeared a generation after Eevee and the stone evolutions.

If you're close to it, it repays your kindness with evolution (from Eevee, that is.)

The R/S Pokedex entry says that it lies in wait for its foes to make a move, so it's always ready to fight.

It's a dark Pokemon. And it has quite a few Dark attacks.

Charizard04621
14th February 2006, 08:14 AM
Great thinking misty, wish you would guess more! You nearly got last round's Phi riddle =/

Thanks for the guesses guys, you still have 1 day left. Guess away!

Phi

Incorrect Guesses (5):
Skitty
Delcatty
Houndour
Houndoom
Milotic
Umbreon

Plantae
14th February 2006, 04:38 PM
I believe this means I must be joining.

I will guess Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir for this (Phi) riddle.

Gardevoir (and to some extent its pre-evolutions) is lovely in appearance, resembling a pretty woman, but still has a high special attack (and is accepted as a semi-popular special attack tank).

Gardevoir and its pre-evolutions are extremely loyal to their trainers, and it is, in fact, almost the very meaning of Gardevoir's name. Thought to originate from the French garde (to care and look over) and voir (to watch).

This seems a pronounciation of it being seemingly (physically) weak (and its pre-evolutions), and warning foes to not underestimate it due to its keen intelligence and psychic power. Also, Gardevoir has future sight like that of Xatu, allowing it to always be prepared for battle.

Gardevoir has the little known ability to create black holes when their trainers are in dire need of help. These are inverted light in the sense that a black hole is the complete absence of light, though creating a black hole does not have anything to do with inverting light, and is instead thought to be caused by gravity (an explanation which I will not go in to). A black hole would easily "crush" any foe.

mr_pikachu
14th February 2006, 04:53 PM
Whoa, what an amazing first guess! You're right on the mark, Plantae; excellent work!

Phi - Gardevoir

Gardevoir resembles a woman in a flowing dress, and it can be raised to be powerful.

It is very protective of its trainer…

Gardevoir will “unleash its psychokinetic energy at full power” to protect its trainer.

What’s the opposite of light? Darkness. And Gardevoir has the power to create a small black hole. The gravity could be a very “crushing” power, so to speak.

This concludes round 4! Round 5 will be up shortly.

mr_pikachu
14th February 2006, 05:02 PM
Everyone in the competition still has a chance as we head into the final round...!

The Riddle Game Championship - Round 5

Tau

An art form of nature,
I'm shockingly smart.
No repugnant power
Will split us apart.

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Phi

But am I a dragon?
I certainly have the wings,
For I can fly – but would you call them wings?
I have the breath of fire just like any dragon should,
But would you say that it is true flame?
I can sink my teeth into my enemy,
But would you call them fangs?
I harness the power of the sun,
Bask in the freedom of the sky,
Thrive by the blessing of nature,
An entity.
But tell me – am I a dragon?

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Good luck!

Plantae
14th February 2006, 05:24 PM
I'll take a stab at the Phi riddle here before I must sign off: Rayquaza.

Phi

But am I a dragon?
Rayquaza does not embody the European style of Dragon that is present in all the other dragons of pokemon, and rather, is based on the Chinese Dragon (and possibly a large mythological bird, like the Roc).

Rayquaza has flaps of sorts that project from its coils which could be called wings, but seems to fly without aid of these.

Rayquaza, in its power, has transcended what a regular "dragon" is.

Rayquaza uses the energy of the sun.

Rayquaza's domain is the vastness of the ozone layer.

Wielding the sun's energy has tempered Rayquaza, allowing it great power.

An entity.
Rayquaza is a legendary pokemon.

=

I tried, but I haven't a "that has to be it" feeling.

mr_pikachu
14th February 2006, 05:30 PM
A good try, though not as good as your last one.

Tau

An art form of nature,
I'm shockingly smart.
No repugnant power
Will split us apart.

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Phi

But am I a dragon?
An entity.

Incorrect Guesses (1):
Rayquaza

Lady Vulpix
14th February 2006, 05:45 PM
I'll guess Altaria for the Phi riddle.

It's Dragon type, but doesn't look like a dragon at all.
It can fly, but its wings look more like clouds than wings.
It can use Dragonbreath, which is a kind of fire, but not traditional fire.
It can peck (can it bite too?), but has no fangs.
It can use Solarbeam (harness the power of the sun).
Its trait is Natural Cure (thrive by the blessing of nature).
And it is an entity... aren't all pokemon entities? O_o

Ace64
14th February 2006, 05:50 PM
Congratulations Plantae, and nice to see a new player. That guess was really good.

Tau-Magneton

An art form of nature,
Magneton is shaped like a triangle. Gah..I should have more here, but I just can't remember..

I'm shockingly smart.
Three Magnemites together- the Dodrio effect. Three brains working as one. Plus, it's an electric type.

No repugnant power
Will split us apart.
I looked up repugnant, and one meaning is "physically repelling." Magnets can either repel or attract another, and Magneton is bound together by magnetism.

Phi-Gyarados (again!)

But am I a dragon?
Back in the old days of Red/Blue, where the dragon types were far and few between, Lance trained one of these on his team. Ever since then,I'd classify it as a pseudo-dragon. Yet, it still is not a dragon type.

Gyarados is a flying type, but there are no obvious signs of wings. I guess those fin/flipper things might be wings, but not nearly as impressive as a "true" dragon's.

Dragon Rage is it's only natural "dragon" attack, but it does little damage to a strong opponent. Wouldn't true flame have more of an effect?

Gyarados has no claws or talons, its entire face is dominated by its gaping maw.

Not sure here. Gyarados can fly, and perhaps its Hyper Beam uses some form of solar energy?

An entity.
It's one of the few Water/Flying types. Being able to travel on water and land is a blessing obtained after hundreds of years of evolution, granted only to a few. Access to the air and sea should be considered the same.

Gyarados is Water/Flying. But I'd still call it a dragon.

mr_pikachu
14th February 2006, 06:11 PM
Those were three good guesses, but the two riddles remain undaunted.

Tau

An art form of nature,
I'm shockingly smart.
No repugnant power
Will split us apart.

Incorrect Guesses (1):
Magneton

Phi

But am I a dragon?
An entity.

Incorrect Guesses (3):
Rayquaza
Altaria
Gyarados

mr_pikachu
15th February 2006, 10:50 PM
Okay, a quick update.

As Charizard04621 and I just discovered, there was an error in the initial posting of the Tau riddle for this round. As you can see from the below post, the last four lines of that riddle were not included in the first post of the round. Therefore, we will extend the deadline for the Tau riddle in this round to exactly seven days from the time of this post. The deadline for the Phi riddle will remain the same. We apologize for this error.

Tau

An art form of nature,
I’m shockingly smart.
No repugnant power
Will split us apart.
I snipe with a vengeance
And I play well with others.
Do you think you can topple
Our bold band of brothers?

Incorrect Guesses (1):
Magneton

Phi

But am I a dragon?
An entity.

Incorrect Guesses (3):
Rayquaza
Altaria
Gyarados

Lady Vulpix
16th February 2006, 05:05 AM
I'll give the Tau riddle a shot this time. Is it Exeggcute? The Crystal pokedex says that "If even one is separated from the group, the energy bond between the six will make them rejoin instantly." And the stadium pokedex says "If you find one and chase it, others will join it without you noticing." That would explain the vengeance part and the part about no repugnant power splitting them apart. The art form of nature part could refer to the fact they resemble eggs though they're more like seeds inside. I'm not sure about the shockingly smart type, but psychic types are said to be smart.

mr_pikachu
16th February 2006, 03:47 PM
An excellent guess, but I'm afraid that's not quite what we're looking for.

Tau

An art form of nature,
I’m shockingly smart.
No repugnant power
Will split us apart.
I snipe with a vengeance

Incorrect Guesses (2):
Magneton
Exeggcute

Phi

But am I a dragon?
An entity.

Incorrect Guesses (3):
Rayquaza
Altaria
Gyarados

Ace64
16th February 2006, 04:37 PM
Wait. Is this the final round, or the next?

Tau-Doduo,Dodrio.

An art form of nature,
I’m shockingly smart.
Two/three pairs of brains means huge intelligence. Not so sure about the nature part though...

No repugnant power
Will split us apart.
You'd literally have to pull them to pieces to separate them.

I snipe with a vengeance
A synonym for "snipe" is nag, moan, complain. Is this what you mean by the word? In any case, the heads of this bird do not always get along, and get into fights with each other. At least,I've seen the anime enough to assume so.

Two traits: Run away, which lets them escape from opponents it cannot beat, and Early Bird: which wakes them up in half the time. Thus, since topple means to knock over, no opponent can keep them on the ground for long.

Lady Vulpix
16th February 2006, 07:14 PM
For the Phi Riddle, I can think of several possibilities right now, and they all seem to match partially. I'll start with Tropius, which seems to have a few more matches than the others, and Vibrava.

But am I a dragon?
Tropius: it looks a bit like a dragon, but not quite, and is not Dragon type.
Vibrava: it's a Dragon type but looks nothing like a Dragon.

Tropius: it can fly using its leaves as wings, but they're still leaves.
Vibrava: I would call them wings, though they have a rather strange shape and the Pokedex says they're not fully developed.

Tropius: could that refer to Solarbeam?
Vibrava: Dragonbreath, same as my previous guess.

Tropius: not sure about that.
Vibrava: it can bite, and even crunch, but I'd be surprised if it had fangs at all.

Tropius: Solarbeam + Synthesis.
Vibrava: it can use Solarbeam too.

They can both fly.

Tropius: that could refer to the fruits, or to Nature Power.
Vibrava: not sure, but it might have something to do by all the gifts it earned by evolving.

An entity.
I insist that all pokemon are entities.

Charizard04621
16th February 2006, 09:08 PM
Hmm nice guesses, some are getting the idea.

Tau

An art form of nature,
I’m shockingly smart.
No repugnant power
Will split us apart.
I snipe with a vengeance

Incorrect Guesses (2):
Magneton
Exeggcute
Doduo
Dodrio

Phi

But am I a dragon?
An entity.

Incorrect Guesses (3):
Rayquaza
Altaria
Gyarados
Tropius
Vibrava

Lady Vulpix
17th February 2006, 05:07 AM
And still none is quite right... I feel tempted to post why Dunsparce may match several of the lines in the Phi riddle, though I doubt that's the right answer. Well, not exactly match, but it can fly, release fire, bite and use Solarbeam. :P

For the Tau riddle, I'll guess Weezing and Dugtrio this time. The reasons are similar to the ones Trey posted for Dodrio, but the line about the brothers seems to match better, since one of the pokedex entries says " Very rarely, a sudden mutation can result in two small KOFFING twins becoming conjoined as a WEEZING", and most of the entries for Dugtrio say they're triplets emerged from the same body. The sniping part doesn't match so well, though.

mr_pikachu
17th February 2006, 05:26 AM
To clarify, are you guessing Dunsparce for the Phi riddle? I'm not certain from your post.

Good ideas for the Tau riddle, but the riddle is still unsolved.

Tau

An art form of nature,
I’m shockingly smart.
No repugnant power
Will split us apart.
I snipe with a vengeance

Incorrect Guesses (6):
Magneton
Exeggcute
Doduo
Dodrio
Weezing
Dugtrio

Phi

But am I a dragon?
An entity.

Incorrect Guesses (5):
Rayquaza
Altaria
Gyarados
Tropius
Vibrava

Lady Vulpix
18th February 2006, 05:50 AM
Well, I don't really think that's the answer, but it can count as a guess.

mr_pikachu
18th February 2006, 08:17 AM
That's actually a good attempt, but it still is inaccurate.

Tau

An art form of nature,
I’m shockingly smart.
No repugnant power
Will split us apart.
I snipe with a vengeance

Incorrect Guesses (6):
Magneton
Exeggcute
Doduo
Dodrio
Weezing
Dugtrio

Phi

But am I a dragon?
An entity.

Incorrect Guesses (6):
Rayquaza
Altaria
Gyarados
Tropius
Vibrava
Dunsparce

Charizard04621
20th February 2006, 11:10 AM
One more day until the Phi riddle expires. Remember, the Tau riddle is good for a few more days.

mr_pikachu
21st February 2006, 05:32 PM
Okay, the Phi riddle is now closed, leaving only the Tau riddle as the last of the competition! This is the explanation for the expired Phi riddle:

Phi - Grovyle

But am I a dragon?
Grovyle (like Flygon and Gyarados) may be draconic to some, but he is officially a Grass type.

Grovyle is known to be able to glide in the air. His wings are blades of leaves, however.

Grovyle can get Dragonbreath through breeding. So does Arcanine, though; does this make Grovyle a dragon?

Grovyle can learn Crunch through breeding. Does it have visible teeth, though?

An entity.
The last lines imply his Grass nature - the dependence on the sun, the glorification of open air, the love of nature. Despite his Grass type, Grovyle possesses draconic characteristics - hence the confusion and the questions.

Tau

An art form of nature,
I’m shockingly smart.
No repugnant power
Will split us apart.
I snipe with a vengeance

Incorrect Guesses (6):
Magneton
Exeggcute
Doduo
Dodrio
Weezing
Dugtrio

mr_pikachu
23rd February 2006, 01:11 AM
Well, the time limit on the Tau riddle has now expired. Here is the explanation for that riddle:

Tau - Remoraid

An art form of nature,
In the anime, Remoraid used Water Gun and Ice Beam to create a tower of ice, which in turn generated a massive rainbow.

I’m shockingly smart.
In that same episode, the Remoraid clustered together to repel a Pokeball, since a Pokeball can only contain one Pokemon at a time. Also, it can shoot water out of its mouth to swim backwards and escape attackers.

No repugnant power
Will split us apart.
Again in that episode, Team Rocket tried to unfairly capture the Remoraid with a massive net, but the Remoraid worked together to escape it easily.

I snipe with a vengeance
Remoraid “has superb accuracy” and can also use Lock-On to ensure that its aim will be true.

It works together with Mantine to scavenge for food.

Again, Remoraid works well with Pokemon of its own species and of others like Mantine, thus unifying the group into a “band of brothers,” so to speak.

~*~-------------------------------------------------------~*~

This concludes the final round of the First Riddle Game Championship! Charizard04621 and I will review the results, and winners should have their prizes shortly. Thank you all for competing in this event!

Lady Vulpix
23rd February 2006, 05:10 AM
Ow. I guess we must all have missed that episode.
It's sad to see the final round go without a winner. Anyway, I had fun playing this game. Thanks to both of you for taking the time to think of all those riddles, and keeping the game updated.

Ace64
23rd February 2006, 08:12 AM
Never would have expected that answer. Then again, I don't really watch the show that much, so there was no way I could have really known..But it was fun anyway, and I can say there were no easy riddles, which made it better for everyone.

Charizard04621
24th February 2006, 08:40 AM
Congratulations to all who participated!

Ace64 wins two One of a Kind (O.A.K.) figurines for his two correct guesses! A Golduck with January 2006 plaque and a Flareon with January 2006 plaque are now yours!

Lady Vulpix wins a Scyther with January 2006 plaque!

Plantae wins a Gardevoir with January 2006 plaque!

Also, for being the winner of the championship, Ace64 wins a figurine carved of a pokémon of his choice. Please post your choice here so you will be awarded your pokémon with its Championship Trophy!

Congratulations to everyone, and thanks for participating.

Ace64
24th February 2006, 09:44 AM
A Legendary would be the natural choice, but I'm going to choose Espeon. Hope we do this again!

Charizard04621
24th February 2006, 02:53 PM
Congratulations, Ace, you win your Espeon with January 2006 Championship Trophy figurine! ^^

And these contests won't happen too often in a year, but we invite everyone to join in playing the regular Riddle Game. A new version will be up soon.

mr_pikachu
24th February 2006, 03:00 PM
Again, congratulations again to our winner, Ace64! We hope everyone enjoyed the competition, and hopefully we'll be able to hold more fun events in the future.

Well, I believe I'll close this thread out, as the contest has concluded. I hope to see you all around the Riddle Game!