PDA

View Full Version : BCS Coverage!

phaedrus
2nd January 2006, 08:09 PM
Game 1: OSU vs. Notre Dame ( 34 - 20 )

phaedrus headline: "Smith weapon of Mass destruction!"
Who did phaedrus root for? Ohio State Buckeyes. They are just that good.

Since Notre Damers are Catholics, and since Catholics go to Mass....oh, never mind.

Game 2: Georgia vs. West Virginia ( ? - ? )

phaedrus headline: TBD
Who does phaedrus root for? Georgia.

Game 3: Penn State vs. Florida State

Who does phaedrus root for? Penn State. How did the Seminoles get in the BCS anyways? Oh right, just because they were champions of their lackluster division. Ridiculous BCS system. :mad:

Game 4: USC vs. Texas

Who does phaedrus root for? Texas. Someone needs to freakin' burst USC's bubble. Seriously.

----------------------------

Discuss BCS here!

OSU did a nice job mixing it up for Charlie Weis. Nice lead in the first half after two Ginn touchdowns and one Holmes touchdown. After the half, Weis used the 3-step drop with Quinn to decent effect, but failed to convert when needed. Two touchdowns brought the game close, but key 3rd down conversions by Smith kept the Irish at bay. Two Field Goal blocks by Notre Dame kept the game closer than it would have been.

Offensive Award: OSU
Defensive Award: OSU
Special Teams Award: Notre Dame

More to come, but the rest of you can do the other BCS, as I have a life, as I am assured you all do. But I will be watching USC vs. Texas. For sure.

Scarlet Spider
2nd January 2006, 08:32 PM
Texas to win the Rose Bowl? I know they have a much better defense than USC but I can't imagine them being able to stop both Leinart AND Bush. However, I can't imagine USC's average defense stopping Vince Young, either.

Drago
3rd January 2006, 02:19 AM
I don't get to see many college games unfortunately, but I'll sure as hell catch the Rose Bowl. Honestly, I can't give Texas much chance of winning. I'm of the popular opinion that Bush will play 'decoy' for the early rounds, while Leinart scares 'em deep. Texas keeps it close, but Bush turns it on late in the third/fourth quarter. USC wins. Again. Always. Like I said though, that's just from what I've gotten of both teams in the past. Not too valid an opinion.

I'll be cheering for Texas, though. My dream scenario, Vince Young throws the game-winning TD in the final seconds, ESPN can stop raving about the Trojans for just a wee while, Vince declares himself for the NFL draft and the Titans select him with the third pick. Screw Jay Cutler, I want McNair reborn.

Girafarig
3rd January 2006, 08:08 AM
Georgia game turned from a shitpile into a near comeback, had WV not done that fake punt.

Scarlet Spider
3rd January 2006, 10:08 AM
I'll be cheering for Texas, though. My dream scenario, Vince Young throws the game-winning TD in the final seconds, ESPN can stop raving about the Trojans for just a wee while, Vince declares himself for the NFL draft and the Titans select him with the third pick. Screw Jay Cutler, I want McNair reborn.

The draft order really f'ed my plans over. If Greenbay or the 49ers gone 2nd and 3rd then it really would've increased the Jets's chances of getting Leinart/Young just because Pennington is complete Garbage and the other 2 teams just drafted a QB =\

And for tonight's game I think PSU is almost a lock to win this game. I don't even understand how FSU was able to blow out Virginia Tech.

phaedrus
3rd January 2006, 11:22 AM
Well, seriously, FSU shouldn't have even gotten the BCS game. They really sucked this year, compared to Oregon and etc. despite the fact that Oregon had a weak schedule.

Scarlet Spider
4th January 2006, 03:14 PM
Last night's game was really good. And I'm glad PSU won because my friend was stupid enough to bet on FSU's victory.

I can't wait for tonight's game. I have moeny going on USC, lol.

And apparently ESPN.com said Vince young is planning to skip the draft this year because he's not sure if he'll be picked in the top 5 (though I have no idea he wonders this).

Drago
4th January 2006, 05:44 PM
And, if you listen hard enough, you can hear me bellowing in agony all the way from Australia.
...Sad thing is, I'm not sure the Titans will be much better next season, either. :what:

EDIT: Ooh I know, maybe if Vince absolutely carves up the Trojans and wins the Rose Bowl, he'll realise how high his stock is and change his mind. Because of course, that's bound to happen. Come on. Pretty please?

Roy Karrde
4th January 2006, 11:26 PM
NATIONAL CHAMPS BABY! TEXAS WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My grandfather has to be freaking out right now, he loves the University of Texas and he loves College Football. What a awesome game!

mr_pikachu
5th January 2006, 01:01 AM
Wow, that was a controversial game. A huge touchdown for Texas to give them the lead at the end of the first half, all sorts of questionable spots, calls, reviews... the whole enchilada. Not to mention a kicker who nearly blew the game for UT several times over. >_<;;;

My biggest question is what the **** USC was thinking in wasting their last timeout on the two-point conversion. It was bad enough that they threw away the first two early in the half, but tossing the last one there? Let's think about this for a moment.

We know that UT would have to be complete idiots not to go for two from the touchdown with 0:19 left. (For those who didn't watch, the touchdown itself gave them a one-point lead; the conversion put them up three.) An extra point for UT is useless, as it would yield only a two-point lead, thus allowing USC to win with a field goal. That's every bit as helpful as missing the conversion (or, for that matter, missing the second extra point of the day). The only thing that could have helped UT was the 2-pointer, so they had to figure they might as well go for it.

And if we assume that USC was doing everything possible to keep the two-point conversion from succeeding by trying to adjust to the offensive formation, well, they failed at that one, didn't they?

You could argue that it didn't matter anyway; after all, the clock stopped after each of the two passes that were thrown by USC at the end. The first was because the receiver made it out of bounds, and the second was because time expired. Still, having a timeout to work with allows a lot more freedom for the offense, as you don't have to worry about getting out of bounds for at least one play. A timeout stops the clock whether the ball's in the center of the field or in the bleachers. I would think that getting additional options would be vastly more important that trying to stop the conversion, especially with only 19 seconds to score (16 seconds if you count after the kickoff).

But frankly, there were so many problems in this game that a heat-of-the-moment decision like that almost seems inconsequential. I lost count of how many players left the game from injuries and exhaustion - a UT defensive player may have broken his arm - and there were all sorts of defensive blunders as well as gaffes on the offensive side of the ball. And let's not forget the numerous questionable calls, which seemed to increase exponentially as the game progressed. But I don't think you can top a kicker who missed a crucial field goal and an extra point. Frankly, it was probably a good thing that UT wasn't within three points toward the end, because they might not have worked as hard as they did for the TD, and that right foot was really unreliable tonight.

So a game filled with questions ends with a three-point win for the underdog Longhorns. All of Texas can celebrate tonight, as it's the first title for the state in 35 years.

This is mr_pikachu, resident second-guesser, signing off.

phaedrus
6th January 2006, 03:10 PM
Texas effing deserved the title.

Headline: "The Vince Young Spectaculaire!"

Scarlet Spider
7th January 2006, 12:22 AM
Texas effing deserved the title.

Headline: "The Vince Young Spectaculaire!"

I personally liked "The In-Vince-ibles" and "Austin Power" better.

Props to Texas even though i had 20 on USC. Young demolished that defense like it was his business.