PDA

View Full Version : Happy 40th Birthday, Andromeda! (Discussion)

Magmar
7th January 2006, 09:18 AM
I randomly checked the birthdays for today, and saw that a user named Andromeda had just turned 40 today. This shocked me a minute, because today is also my mother's 40th birthday. I can't get over the fact that my mother is now "over the hill." Every "6" year is a decade for everyone in the family, basically. I'll be 20. Grandma will be 70. Papa will be 65. My sister will be 15. Funny how these things work. It makes me feel quite old, lol.

So, today is a pretty significant day for my family. My parents live across the country, so I can't be there with them to help celebrate. However, here's the catch.

I completely forgot today was my mom's birthday!

While I already called her, I haven't mailed her a gift yet. I told her that I had forgotten to mail it, and that I'll ship it out today.

WHAT SHOULD I BUY HER???? I need suggestions, I'm not a 40 year old woman so I don't know what she'd like. My mom had me at a young age too, so I'm assuming most of you have mothers passed 40 years...

mr_pikachu
7th January 2006, 10:57 AM
Just try to think about her interests. What does she like to do in her spare time? What sorts of activities does she enjoy? Music? Crafts? Television? Games? Figure out what kinds of things she enjoys, and work from there.

The Blue Avenger
7th January 2006, 12:07 PM
Mostly, for my mom, I get her books and things that she's pointed out on Amazon wishlists and things like that.

However, my mom's not exactly subtle with things like that, either, so it makes my life easier.

Also, the title of this topic has forced me to draw one conclusion: your mom is Andromeda.

Number1ChanseyFan
7th January 2006, 12:26 PM
Yes, like mr_pikachu said, think about her interests, try to get her something from the heart, something that means alot. Try to think of some kind of special bond that the two of you share with each other. Maybe she has a collection of something that you can add a piece to.

And, on another note, years ending in 5 are strange for my family too. In 2005, I turned 20, my dad turned 50, both of my grandmas turned 90, my grandpa on my dad's side would have been 80, and my mom's nephew turned 40.

Magmar
7th January 2006, 07:09 PM
I got her a Precious Moments figurine. Thanks for the suggestions!!!!! :) I appreciate it a LOT that you took the time and effort to reply.