PDA

View Full Version : [Poll] Sleep

Metallixs Girl
7th January 2006, 11:27 PM
Just a few questions about sleep. :)

What envirement helps you go to sleep? (quiet, noisy, dark, nightlight, etc)
I need to hear air blowing, either from a fan or air conditioner or something blowing. It's very hard for me to fall asleep without air. I don't really mind the dark too much.

Do you Sleepwalk, or Sleeptalk?
As far as I know, I never have. But one time I dreamed that I sleepwalked. O_O but I hadn't.

Have you ever gotten stuck in what I named "Sleep paralysis"? (Where you wake up, but your dream hasn't ended so you can't move until it finishes, and it's very painful if you try to force yourself awake?)
I used to get it maybe once or twice a year, but I haven't in awhile. But I used to fall straight into it sometimes and I would know it but I couldn't move to stop it.

Can you control your dreams?
I can't at all. I just have to watch all mine no matter what kinda dream it is.

Y'all?

Arnen
7th January 2006, 11:48 PM
It needs to be dark (I can stand light sometimes, but it's easier for me if it's dark), and I prefer to have background noise, meaning a fan, humidifier, TV, etc.

I don't sleepwalk or sleeptalk, but sometimes I've woken up turned completely around so my head is at the foot of my bed, or woken up completely entangled in my blanket, or with my sheet all the way off my bed.

Have you ever gotten stuck in what I named "Sleep paralysis"? (Where you wake up, but your dream hasn't ended so you can't move until it finishes, and it's very painful if you try to force yourself awake?)
No... o.O

Sort of. I usually don't, though. My dreams are kind of interractive anyway, like a video game. It's cool. :xd:

Magmar
7th January 2006, 11:57 PM
I need dark. I need quiet. I also need the door open. This room gets warm.

Never.

I have been able to "continue" dreams. Meaning, I start to wake up, want to finish the dream and fall back asleep. Thinking about that makes me miss being a teen.

Kind of. What I think about last before I sleep is usually what I dream about. People can influence my dreams. If I stay online right till I go to sleep, and I say, read a news article about the grand canyon, then my friend tells me about mcdonalds, and I listen to Stone Sour. I will dream about listening to Stone Sour at the grand canyon eating mcnuggets.

Lady Vulpix
8th January 2006, 06:33 AM
I think you meant 'environment'. In my case, it's dark, quiet and not too hot (if it's cold, I can put something on, but if it's hot there's nothing I can do).

No, I don't.

No, I haven't.

Partially. I can decide my own actions, and sometimes I can force things to change around me, but not always. And I never have control over what other characters say and do.

Dark-San
8th January 2006, 08:58 AM
[b][size=3]What envirement helps you go to sleep? (quiet, noisy, dark, nightlight, etc)

A very dark environment plus if it is a rainy day, I will get knocked out easily. A lighted environment will only awaken me. In additional I am a light sleeper. So any slight irritation of either noise or contact and I will be awake in an instant.

Sleeptalk yes but ocassionally. I was told by my brother who shares the room with me that I will be sleeptalking only when I get stressed out. However lately my sleeptalking habit apparently got replaced by my snorings. So yupz...

Once a week. It always happened on a weekend. 'Cause it is only at that time of the week when you get to wake up late.

Obviously not. It is not like we have the power to do so. If not, I would be getting the dreams I like.

Magmar
8th January 2006, 12:08 PM
[b][size=3]Can you control your dreams?

Obviously not. It is not like we have the power to do so. If not, I would be getting the dreams I like.

Actually, you can control your dreams, man. I can do it. It's weird. I could get going on dreams... because I've had some verrryyyy freaky things happen to me in dreams. If you're interested in learning how to control your dreams, IM me.

Agent Elrond
8th January 2006, 04:17 PM

Dark and quiet, with preferably a warm bed and a kitty on top. Kitties are the best thing to cure insomnia.

I don't think I've ever sleep-talked, but I know for a fact that I once sleep-walked into my closet. I remember because I had to partially wake up to get myself out.

I don't think this has ever happened to me. I have woken up before a dream has finished and then been mad because I didn't get to see how it ended, but I've never had problems like that.

Sometimes. Not very well, but I can direct them if I want to. Most of the time I'm too tired. (Dang it, I'm SLEEPING aren't I?) What I can do well is make myself dream. This is how I get myself to fall asleep a lot of the time.

:)

Fett One
8th January 2006, 04:52 PM
Usually dark but I can sleep if there is some light, just like I prefer it to be qiuet but I can sleep with some noises if they aren't too loud.

No

No

I wish. If I had control over them I would have had some of them end completely different from the way they ended.

mr_pikachu
8th January 2006, 05:08 PM
What environment helps you go to sleep? (quiet, noisy, dark, nightlight, etc)n sleep with some noises if they aren't too loud.

I need it pretty quiet. I can sometimes sleep normally with a bit of light, though I usually need it somewhat dark unless I'm just about to collapse anyway.

I sleeptalk sometimes. I've had mornings where I wake up mumbling nonsense that had to do with my dream. It's been awhile since it went that far, though.

Not really, no.

I can sometimes control what I do in them, but even then I frequently can't control the consequences of my choices.

SupremeChampion
10th January 2006, 08:49 PM
[i]1.) ehh... usually quite and dark, but i can fall asleep anywhere if i get confortable enough and also am tired enough.
2.) sleep talk... i don't do it a lot but i do it, and usually i say some weird stuff, or so i've been told.
3.) nah, i can't say that i have.
4.) nah, i don't think i ever have, but i always liked the dreams i have and what direction they went in, so why mess with a good thing?

~The Italian Stallion

phaedrus
11th January 2006, 07:35 PM
What envirement helps you go to sleep? (quiet, noisy, dark, nightlight, etc) doesn't matter at all really. maybe just a little quiet, not too much light. nothing out of the ordinary.

Do you Sleepwalk, or Sleeptalk? not recently

Have you ever gotten stuck in what I named "Sleep paralysis"? (Where you wake up, but your dream hasn't ended so you can't move until it finishes, and it's very painful if you try to force yourself awake?) never.

Can you control your dreams? no, but i have bad dreams out my tests and quizzes and exams that occur periodically...

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
12th January 2006, 06:15 AM

Darkness is for me absolutely necessary to really fall asleep. I can take naps when it's not dark (I often do so on the train to work) but those naps only take 15 minutes or so and I often have a headache after waking up from them.

No one ever mentioned me doing either nor have I noticed I do.

No, I never experienced such a thing.

I can only control them in so far as to wake myself up when having bad dreams (before they turn really bad).

Skye
12th January 2006, 07:38 PM
I like dark with a bit of light from like a clock or cracked window or something, but I can pretty much sleep eanywhere, even in the noon without sunglasses. I don't like noisy places when I sleep, but I can listen to the radio AM or FM and still manage a good nap. I've also managed to sleep in the weight training room where weights are clanging and the teacher blowing the whistle a lot. ^^;

I've been told I sang in my sleep once, but that was when I was like 5. But no accounts of sleepwalking... Yet.

Hn, I've never had anything exactly like that. But two incidents that occure randomly are when my body physically reacts to a dream I'm just having while I'm still waiting to fall asleep (like my hands twitch to grab onto something when I'm still not yet asleep). Another thing is when I am asleep but my dreams react to my psyical environment. Like I smell something bad in my room and it's in my dream too.

Yes I can. But I've kicked the habit. Now I just let my mind wander on its own unless I'm about to die. If I do control my dreams, it usually makes me feel a lot more tired than if I had just let my dreams be.

Drago
13th January 2006, 09:08 PM
I'll admit that when I was a young'un I needed a nightlight. The mind plays tricks in the dark.
Nowadays I can sleep in any condition; quiet, noisy, dark, whatever. The only condition that applies is that the object I'm sleeping upon (bed, couch, floor) has to be comfortable enough for me to doze off. The environment itself has little influence.
Additionally, I'm a deep sleeper. Too deep, in fact. I've slept through thunderstorms, a minor earthquake (very minor) and the fire alarm going off just outside of my room. Sleeping through the latter two probably isn't a good thing.

I had a sleepwalking experience when I was younger, apparently I brought my pillow with me and parked myself in the hallway. There was another time when I woke up on the couch in the front room in the middle of the night, and I didn't remember going there at any point.
I occasionally sleeptalk. Nothing clear, just garbled mutters.

Have you ever gotten stuck in what I named "Sleep paralysis"?
Nope, though I have had instances where I thought I had woken up from a dream, only to find that it was just a part of the dream. Sneaky stuff, that.

I can't really control the themes of my dreams, though on rare occassion I'll be aware that it is a dream and start doing all sorts of crazy stuff. Self-decapitation was amusing.

Gengachu
13th January 2006, 11:29 PM
It has to be dark for me to sleep. I can't stand the light. Like a vampire. Not really. Hehe.

Sleepwalk, no, but my brother says I talk in my sleep sometimes.

Nope never even heard of it before.

I cannot unfortunately, but usually I do what I would want to, so it's all good.

-Brian

Kiara
13th January 2006, 11:35 PM
It has to be extra dark, and I have to have soft music like Enya playing.

I know for a fact that I sleep talk. My boyfriend hears me most of the time.

no… I and hope I won’t every have something like that.

Heck no, if I did I wouldn’t have retarded dreams all the time. XP

Malheur
15th January 2006, 06:02 PM
Basically, just my bed. I have trouble falling asleep anywhere else.

Not recently.

Erm, no.

I don't know. Not in most dreams that I can recall, I guess.

Little_Pikachu
20th January 2006, 05:55 PM
What envirement helps you go to sleep?
When I have a bit of an insomnia thing going on (which is quite often), I find it helps if I have my TV on quietly. A bit of background noise helps. I have trouble sleeping if it's too hot too, if it's cold I'll just put socks on.

I've sleepwalked once that I know of, apparently I sleep talk quite a lot though.

Have you ever gotten stuck in what I named "Sleep paralysis"?
Not that I can remember, but I quite often wake up and find my arms are dead. Once my mobile phone woke me up and I couldn't answer it because my lower arms were 'dead' and I couldn't open and close my hands.

Sometimes I feel like I'm sort of playing an RPG... Sometimes whatever I've been doing before going to bed determins what kind of dream I have, for example the other week I'd been playing the Bleach GC game for hours, then when I went to sleep I had a wacky dream about one of the characters being a taxi driver... Yeah, that was an interesting night.

AntiAsh Superstar
23rd January 2006, 09:38 AM
Well for a start it's environment but I'll let that slide... anyways... I'm weird. I'm most comfortable with some low noise in the background (like mp3s being played reasonably quietly), lights out and most bizarrely of all a fan blowing on my head. I can't explain why. I just lieks it no matter the temperature. ^^;;

No... I live with a lady who does tho, and it's freaked me out on occasion.

Er... no, I've has some times when I've woken up mid-dream and have been verrrry pissed off that I wasn't able to see how it ended tho.

Nah. Actually I don't dream much at all so meh.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
31st January 2006, 10:14 AM

I can sleep almost everywhere is I am tired enough. Noises bother me the most, but for some odd reason it is quite easy in a car or in a train.

Not that I know. But someone said I sleep my eyes open.

No, but I have, for example, dreamt that there was a map editor in Super Mario 64 and could continue that dream a week later.

Occasionally. I just suddenly realize "Hey, this is a dream!" and if I don't wake up at that very moment, I can do what I want, for instance fly.

Gavin Luper
3rd February 2006, 01:48 AM
Usually just needs to be dark, and relatively quiet, but if I'm tired enough I could go to sleep with the light on or heaps of people talking, stuff like that doesn't really bother me.

Nope; never have, as far as I know.

Nope. I sometimes find it hard to move my arms when I wake up but I have a veeeeeery shrewd feeling that's related more to the way I fall asleep on my arm, blocking the circulation partly, than it is to do with what you're asking. :D

Rarely. But sometimes, yes, I can change some detail of the dream if I suddenly realise in my mind that it's completely unrealistic - and occasionally I have been able to realise that I'm only dreaming when something terrible happens in the dream - but I usually wake up, if only for a moment, when this happens, ending the dream.

Incidentally, dream control is a branch of Lucid Dreaming, which is VERY interesting (if a bit weird/spooky) to research when you are bored.

Crystal Mew
3rd February 2006, 10:25 PM
it has to be dark and quiet. but I love it if its raining and thundering

no, I dont

yes. and I get them quite often... I hate it.

I have in the past. lately I'm far too tired to lay there and say "well I want to dream this tonight..." so I just fall asleep and hardly remember any dreams :(

but if you think about something right before you go to sleep, the chances are you will probably dream about it. works for me