PDA

View Full Version : team help

Sehr herrlich
8th January 2006, 01:42 AM
Is there a way which I can get Gengar, Houndoom, Vapoureon, Salamence, Milotic, Flygon, kingdra and scizor in the same game without buying both emerald and fire red? I have Ruby, would it be possible to get like just fire red or emerald and get these on? I'd prefer using one game without trading, mind you.

Perhaps you guys could help me with some moves for these, eh? I'm pretty sold on these pokemon though, although the Gengar I might be willing to change and I would consider Houndoom changing for Charizard, maybe. I like using my favorites! Perhaps I could switch out Salamence for Milotic or kingdra, those things are annoying to play against.

VAPOREON w/Mint berry
-Ice beam/Aurora beam
-Rest
-Surf
-Acid Armour

GENGAR
-Hypnosis
-Shadow Ball
-Dream Eater
-Confuse Ray/Psychic?

HOUNDOOM
-Crunch
-Flamethrower
-Sunny Day
-Solarbeam

SCIZOR w/leftovers
-Slash
-Fury Cutter
-Double team
-Swords Dance

FLYGON
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Fly
-Dragonbreath

SALAMENCE
-Aerial Ace
-Flamerthrower
-Dragon Claw
-??????(what else can it learn!?)

Magmar
8th January 2006, 12:23 PM
Hey buddy!

I'm not an expert at this and still have a lot to learn about the Advanced world, but I'll give this a shot.

If there is a move with the same accuracy but higher power and your Pokemon can learn it, always go with that move. Don't take Aurora Beam over Ice Beam. Also, try to steer clear of moves that have poor accuracy. Having a variety of different types of moves on the same Pokemon is always handy, but try to make sure that you can protect yourself as well. Offensively, your team is strong, but defensively, it appears vulnerable.

Quite a few of your moves are reliant on one status change. For example, your Houndoom needs Sunny Day to pump up its Flamethrower and Solar Beam. However, what if you were up against a Dugtrio? Two Earthquakes and you're done. You'll never get a chance to use the Solar Beam.

Also, Gengar with Hypnosis, while handy in the game boy, is not a good idea for battles with others. Hypnosis only hits about once every other turn. Plus, there's the chance the foe will wake up before you get to use Dream Eater, and then you're out another turn. If Gengar is paralyzed, you're done.

Replace Scizor's "Slash" with something better. Critical Hits negate stat boosts.

Salamence with Earthquake sounds good. It's too bad, really, that it can't learn Ancientpower. That'd be a very good 4th move. Even Brick Break would be nice.

Flygon? A second Dragon-type, with 4x weakness to Ice. Yowch. That's why I suggested Brick Break on the Salamence, you know. Crunch, Earthquake, Dragon Claw and hmm... why not something like Protect? Just in case you go against someone with Sheer Cold, etc.

I'll let someone else take the stand from here. It's no fun if I get too into it.

Chris 2.1
8th January 2006, 01:35 PM
Again, I'm no pro.

Flygon, I recommend Crunch, Dragonbreath/claw, Flamethrower and Earthquake. I say breath or claw because you only get one TM for Dragon Claw, and Dragon Breath is learned naturally, has good enough strength and can paralyse. Flamethrower for ice types.

Sunnydoom set seems ok. Consider Will-O-Wisp (Breed with Vupix/Ninetales) because a burn not only takes damage away, but halves their attack. Very much worth it. Counter also works well.

Salamence learns Brick Break, so give it that. Breed it with Gyarados/Horsea's line and it can get Hydro Pump, which is also nice. Hydro Pump, Hidden Power (Electric), Flamethrower and BB work well for a special set, but consider BB into the set you already have and you've got a winner.

Scizor can breed with bug types to get Silver Wind, which is a bug-type ancientpower. Coupled with Scyther/Scizor's swarm, and an endure/reversal set and you'll do great. Endure an attack, which will activate Swarm, then use Silver Wind to fire away (and gain a stat boost potentially) or reversal to deal the damage back. The Scyther you catch in Pokemon XD also learns Morning Sun - an excellent recovery move. One to consider. Otherwise, aerial ace works well.

Gengar, I'm not sure of. Shadow Punch works well (breed with Dusclops, or raise one in Fr/Lg), you could try Brick Break for normal types, or else Thunderbolt, Will-O-Wisp, or perhaps a Mean Look + Destiny Bond combo. Explosion is also an option.

Vaporeon: I have one in Fr/Lg. She has Ice Beam, Surf, Wish, Protect. Its only ingame, but wish is good. Vaporeon uses wish, then switch out to an injured foe and they will get healed. Handy tactic. Water Absorb is also a great trait.

Hope I helped.

Sehr herrlich
8th January 2006, 01:55 PM
Well, I'm not touching Flygon, Vaporeon or Scizor. Those are my favorite pokemon. I can change their moves, but where can I get an icebeam TM in silver or games other than red/blue?

What about Milotic? Those are amoung the most annoying in-game pokemon. Speaking of which, can someone help me figure out how to do pokeblocks and actually get a feebas/milotic?

Chris 2.1
8th January 2006, 03:18 PM
Feebas is a devil to catch.

Route 119 is the only place to catch the elusive, yet ugly fish. A map of Route 119 is here (http://taarna23.blackened-interactive.com/sprite/sr-maps/034-Route119.png). Feebas can be found on six of ANY of those water tiles, and there's no way to define getting one.

Get your rod (I use Old) and try each tile 3/4 times, and if you don't get Feebas, then move on. It is VERY difficult work, and if I'd known Feebas were so difficult to catch, I would not have restarted my Sapphire cart >_<. Alternatively, mix records with someone and you mix Feebas tiles, so if they know where their Feebas tile(s) are, then they will appear on your game.

Another method is buy a Feebas. Seriously people on Ebay and stuff breed them for loads.

ANYWAY, once you catch Feebas, there's the question of evolving it. Feebas needs a maxed out beauty before it can evolve to Milotic, so that's what we'll look at.

Pokeblocks come in 5 flavours - and DRY is the flavour that raises beauty. Each nature of Pokemon like a flavour of Pokeblock, and the more a Pokemon likes a flavour, the more they gain from it. So, that means our Milotic-to-be will need to be a Feebas that likes the taste of Dry Pokeblocks.

Catch more Feebas or breed them until you get one with either a Modest, Mild, Rash or Quiet Nature. Any of these would love Dry Pokeblocks. Now, you have your Feebas, now you need the right Pokeblocks.

Pokeblocks are made from Berries. The better the berry, the better the Pokeblock. Ignore the lower numbered Berries, like Oran, Cheri and Lum - they dont yield very nice Pokeblocks. Instead, try and get yourself a Pamtre Berry. You can get one by going to the Berry Master's Wife on Route 123 and giving her the phrase "CHALLANGE CONTEST" - you need to beat the E4 to get Challange in your Word Bank.

This berry is a one-off, and you wont get it again, so plant it, water it, and grow more. Now the maximum yield from a Pamtre Plant is 2 berries (That basically means you can only get 2 from planting one) and they take an agonising 72 hours to grow.

So plant one, and a few times a day pop on and water it. When you get two plant them both, and repeat the procedure. After you get about 6 berries, it's time to blend them!

Now go to the Lilycove Contest Hall, and go to the PokeBlock blender (there should be three people already there). Try and time it so you get 0's and double 0's. Now, you can tell a Pokeblock is good because it has a high level and a low feel.

Blend your Pamtre Berries, and perhaps plant some more just in case. Anyway feed them to your Feebas - Pokemon can eat 12 Pokeblocks before getting 'full', so feed and feed (planting more and making more Pokeblocks if necessary) until the meter is full. You can tell if it is or not by going to Slateport city.

With Feebas in your first slot, speak to the Chairman. If he advises you to keep feeding it, then do so, but if he gives you the scarf (Blue) then it has Max Beauty!

Feed it rare candy/raise it one level and it will evolve.

If you cannot get Pamtre Berries, try these:

Cornn Berry: Obtained from Berry Master (Route 123) or Kiri (Sootopolis City, on the left hand side) Both Random
Growth time: 24 hours
Maximum Yield: 4
Don't feed Feebas this Pokeblock if it is a Quiet Nature! This Pokeblock is part Sweet, and Quiet Pokemon hate sweet Pokeblocks

Tamato Berry: Obtained from Berry Master (Route 123) or Kiri (Sootopolis City, on the left hand side) Both Random
Don't feed Feebas this Pokeblock if it is a Modest Nature! This Pokeblock is part Spicy, and Modest Pokemon hate spicy Pokeblocks

Tamato Berry: Obtained from Berry Master (Route 123) or Kiri (Sootopolis City, on the left hand side) Both Random
Don't feed Feebas this Pokeblock if it is a Modest Nature! This Pokeblock is part Spicy, and Modest Pokemon hate spicy Pokeblocks

I hope this helped.

rinku
8th January 2006, 06:25 PM
To answer the first question... not without a Gamecube. Your best bet would probably be to get Fire Red, as it is a better single resource (Gengar and Scyther are hardly the only useful pokémon you will get from it!) and trade for a Houndoom. Houndoom can be obtained on Colosseum, and I *think* XD. Scyther can definitely be obtained on XD.

If the extra post-game stuff in Emerald is a major factor (including the really useful breeding enhancements), consider getting that and trading for Gengar, Eevee and Scyther.

Sehr herrlich
8th January 2006, 10:44 PM
Thanks alot.

As far as feebas goes...

I heard that telling that lady in the tree city a new phrase changes the squares and that there was only one square. However, there is 6 squares that don't change, according to my new understanding.

Is there any chance that I can just catch one and feed it a bunch of oran berry derived blocks that may or may not be good quality (the stupid old man misses so many)? If you can feed them 12, can you just max out one with like a rash nature on oran berries? I'm not making pokemon for hardcore competition or perfection, I'm just trying to get any ol' milotic to play the game with and maybe beat up on 8 year olds with...Hardcore breeding and pokeblocking just isn't for me :).

mr_pikachu
9th January 2006, 01:04 AM
Ooh, that'd be a tough one. I kind of doubt it's possible, to be honest. Oran berries are extremely weak, for one thing; Pokeblocks made from them are nearly on the lowest tier of quality. And on that level, any Pokeblock you get is going to be really bad, no matter whether the Old Man misses every time or the Master Blender aces it. You're simply not going to get anything of decent quality. And I actually never was able to max out a single contest stat until I started using berries of higher grade. You'd have a much better shot if you at least used something like a Wiki berry, and using a Kelpsy berry would be even better. Obviously, your Pokemon won't achieve absolute perfection at contests with those berries, because you can still have ready and ample access to them through a little planting, but if you don't want to go out of your way to get the ultra-rare berries just for Milotic, then that's probably the way to go.

The Berry Master (not to be confused with the Master Blender) on route 123 can give you two random berries a day. One of the ten possibilities is a Kelpsy Berry, so you have a 20% chance of getting one every day that you ask him. Also, you can find six Kelpsy berries earlier by picking them from route 115.

A girl on route 120 will give you one rare berry per day. The berry you get depends on the last number of your Trainer ID. If it is a 1 or a 6, she will give you a Wiki berry. The number, however, changes when you mix records with a friend, so you can get the berries you want if you have someone who can help you in that regard. For some reason I thought you could get it another way, as well... maybe some Pokemon you catch will hold them. It's always good to check captured Pokemon to see if they are holding anything.

You can find most of the information above on this GameFAQs guide (http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/file/pokemon_emerald_berry.txt).

Sehr herrlich
9th January 2006, 02:55 AM
That seems odd that a pokemon would be SO impossibly hard to get...even pokemon like Kingdra and all the regi's are easier to get than this pokemon. Annoying as it potentially is to defeat, is Milotic REALLY worth all that effort!?

mr_pikachu
9th January 2006, 03:20 AM
Well, frankly, it's probably not all that hard using Kelpsy berries. Just grab six of them from route 115, plant them and water them, and then take your reward when they multiply. (Make sure you water them every hour or two, and pick them when they're fully grown. The process should take about 12 hours.) Go through the growing process a couple of times, and then blend away!

Basically, it's not necessarily difficult, but it can be a little tedious.

Gagome
9th January 2006, 10:00 AM
The number, however, changes when you mix records with a friend, so you can get the berries you want if you have someone who can help you in that regard.
I believe this is only a rumor. I have played Ruby and Sapphire and Emerald and on all three games I did mix records with other games and the berry the girl gives on route 120 never changed.
Can anybody really confirm that mixing records does change this berry?

Sehr herrlich
9th January 2006, 10:45 AM
Now I have to WATER the berries too!? So much for it being FUN to catch this thing...

Chris 2.1
9th January 2006, 04:14 PM
Like I said, it's a devil to get one. But it adds to the elusiveness of the Pokemon, I guess. Also there are 6 Feebas tiles, and they DO change when you change the trendy phrase in DEWFORD, not Fortree.

Poryhedron
9th January 2006, 08:01 PM
Just wanted to clear up a misconception or two: someone said a pokémon can eat 12 pokéblocks. Not really correct. The reason you want high level and low feel in a pokéblock is that, the higher the level, the more it boosts your contest stats...and the lower the feel, the less it fills your pokémon up. A pokémon can eat more pokéblocks if they all have low feel than if they all have high feel. Also, you can tell how full your pokémon is just by checking your Pokénav. On the screen where you can view a pokémon's contest stats, the number of twinkling stars around a pokémon shows how full they are. When the twinkling stars go all the way around, you're done.

Sehr herrlich
9th January 2006, 08:51 PM
All I keep finding is stupid magikarp and Carvanha. I'm on the Right route, systematically checking each tile...ugh...do I need to first change the cool phrase in dewford before the tiles are activated?

Also, by fishing in each tile 3 or 4 times do you mean I need to pull up 3 or 4 pokemon from each square or just do the fishing and count "not even a nibble" as part of the 4 trials?

Poryhedron
9th January 2006, 09:26 PM
You need to pull up 3 or 4 pokémon. This is why the Old Rod is recommended: the rod you use has zero effect on the Feebas you catch, but it's easier to land pokémon with the Old Rod.
When you fish in a Feebas Tile, regardless of which rod, the pokémon you catch (if you catch one) has a 50% chance of being Feebas. I'll do the math for you: you have a 75% chance of getting a Feebas in two tries on a Feebas Tile, an 88% chance of getting a Feebas in three tries, and a 94% chance of getting a Feebas in four tries. Remember, this isn't counting "Not even a nibble"s. Catching four makes it less likely that you'll pass over a Feebas tile without knowing it, but my dear god does it get old quickly...when you finally find a Feebas tile, catch a female so you can just breed more and never have to fish for Feebas again.
Oh, one more thing! To catch Feebas, you're not supposed to be on a Feebas Tile; you're supposed to fish into one. For example, if you fish to the left, and you catch a Feebas, that means the tile to your left (the one your Rod was hanging over) is a Feebas tile. This is obvious if you're fishing from the shore, but when you climb onto a Surfing pokémon and fish from its back you might forget that it's the tile you dangle your Rod over that matters.

Sehr herrlich
9th January 2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks. I editted this post cause I found the RIGHT area...man, what a waste of time before. Anyways, this is ridiculous in how long it's taking. Like 75% of the time it's "not even a nibble" and the rest of the time is wasted by each magikarp battle announcing that it is raining and garbage like that. ARGH! I WILL GET MYSELF A FEEBAS EVEN IF I HAVE TO BURNOUT AND GO INSANE TRYING!

Chris 2.1
10th January 2006, 02:24 PM
I assumed it was 12 Pokeblocks since there were 12 stars around your Pokemon when they're full.

mr_pikachu
10th January 2006, 03:29 PM
Well, some Pokeblocks don't fill up a whole star, while others with higher feel may fill multiple stars. Also, it seems like it has a way to show a "half star" as well. You know how the stars circle around the Pokemon, right? Well, there seem to be two different stars that circle around it (especially since sometimes one will wind up chasing the other). If you watch closely, sometimes one of them will go to, say, the fifth star, while the other one may stop at the fourth. That would seem to indicate that the Pokemon had something around 4.5 stars. Is that how it works, or does that indicate something different?

rinku
10th January 2006, 10:20 PM
The actual limit is 255 feel. Each of the stars represents 21.25 feel points.

However, as long as the feel total is under 255, you can add a block, so for example it is possible to feed a pokémon 9 blocks with feel 28 (bringing it up to 252) and then a last block of feel 50.

Each contest condition is also rated from 0-255, for what it's worth. Personality affects this, so make sure you use a Feebas that likes blue (dry) pokéblocks (Mild, Modest, Quiet, Rash) .

If all you are concerned with is raising a Milotic to complete your 'dex or for battles and don't care about having as much contest condition as possible, use Kelpsy or Cornn berries as mentioned above. Mix them with the 3 person blender and 12 of them should evolve a Feebas. Palmtre are better if you want to grow them - you only need 5 of them to evolve a dry-loving Feebas.

Sehr herrlich
11th January 2006, 06:20 PM
wow really? I just got myself a tomoto berry or whatever...and about 15 of those annoying little feebas'