PDA

View Full Version : Ideas?

Kiara
9th January 2006, 10:49 PM
Well thanks to Darkfire, I am into pokemon once again (thanks again >>; ). But my boyfriend and I have been wondering on how or what we can do. He is into pokemon and he is 19 lol. Anyways, we have decided to make our own forum. But we don't have an ideas as far as yet. The only idea I can come up with is basically the shiny different colored pokemon like they have here, but then again wouldn't that be like stealing? I'm not sure really.. .so I need some help on ideas and also if I could possibly get members as well towards the forum once it is up, that would be swell too...

So any ideas?

Magmar
9th January 2006, 11:14 PM
Get a "phpBB2" for your bulletin board... they come in nifty. But that is kinda weird question to ask, true. Hey, I'm 19 and occasionally am into Pokemon, like right now I'm in an "into" phase which'll probably die out in a lil while... I'm getting back into "play bass religiously" mode. :P

Kiara
9th January 2006, 11:56 PM
I would... but doesnt that cost like moneys? Oo I think it does cause Gaia is that type of fourm and I dont got money lol anyways here is the link to my site... its just a plan for right now.. I want suggestions and stuff...

BUt I do copyright some of the thing to whoever made this forum.

http://s15.invisionfree.com/Pkmon_Evolution/index.php?act=idx

Lady Vulpix
10th January 2006, 04:29 AM
Well, I believe that SMF is free (the one TPM uses). But I must warn you, running a forum is hard work. Attracting members is difficult, and keeping them interested is even harder. I wouldn't recommend making a forumjust for the sake of having one. If you don't have a clear idea of what you want in it, then why do you want a forum in the first place?

I remember a time when there were countless proboard and EZBoard replicas of TPM. They all died quickly because there was nothing original in them, and people don't want to waste time doing the same things twice.

Kiara
10th January 2006, 09:36 AM
Well, in the past years I have been running forums. The most recent one was for my character Kiara to get her life story done, so an rp forum. I know its tough, but I just want to try this out for right now. I think we will be able to keep it alive. Or at least alive till my pkmon stage is over lol.

Anyways, I'm making the rules at school (since im there right now) and my bf is going to see who on his MSN list is interset in joining. Cause, well he has a lot of pokemon fans on htere. Which is a suprise really.

Like I said mine won't be like pokemasters, but it will be like it in ways. They shiny and different color pokemon will be there, and possibly the glow effect. I think its just cool. But right now its a test forum to put all our ideas out and see if anyone likes them.

[Edit: Well now I am accepting members, hopefully this one will run longer....]

RedStarWarrior
11th January 2006, 03:16 PM
How about staying here? I mean, this forum needs at least a couple of Pokémon fans.

Kiara
11th January 2006, 07:10 PM
I am a pokemon fan, I just aint THAT big of one. And plus I was planning on staying I just wanted to start my own form and see who all would join. Thats not a problem now is it? I don't think so.

Greyfox
13th January 2006, 01:51 PM
As a former webmaster of two semi-successful Pokémon websites, I am obligated to tell you this: I wouldn't recommend spending time to actually make one, considering that everyone else'll just go to the more popular ones anyway. You'd be wasting time by going through the games and writing down a list of all the attacks, stats, and what-not for all the separate pokémon only to have little to no visitors. Either that, or you could steal content from the aforementioned other websites, which despite being wrong, still takes a lot of time and effort that could be better spent elsewhere. Forums also require time and effort to maintain, and most of the time, you'll get only a handful of visitors and even less members.

[b][i][font=Palatino Linotype]-Grey

mr_pikachu
13th January 2006, 02:31 PM
Yeah, I have to go with the crowd on this one. I've seen countless Pokemon forums that have been started up since I started coming to TPM. Every one of them has fallen by the wayside. The problem is that, by starting a Pokemon forum at this point, you're trying to break into a market which a few major sites already dominate. (Yes, that's an economic analysis, but it still works in this situation.) It'd be really difficult to draw people away from the other sites unless you come up with something really innovative, and it might be tough to continually manage a forum with few visitors.

But hey, it's your time and energy. If you want to try it, then go for it. I don't see why you can't take a shot if you want. Just be forewarned about the probable outcomes.

...Please don't steal content, though. We already have "friends" *coughGreenforumscough* to do that. :P

Kiara
13th January 2006, 11:54 PM
Okay... who said I was STEALING anything? I am not stealing anything.... alright? I don't mean to sound upset or anything but that was just not called for. I said, (if you've read it...) in my first post.

[quote]Like I said mine won't be like pokemasters, but it will be like it in ways. They shiny and different color pokemon will be there, and possibly the glow effect. I think its just cool.[quote]

Besides it was better then my orginal idea of making the fourm a yugioh one, but hey I like Yugioh... I wanted to try a Pokemon forum so sue me. Besides, not if you take a look at the main site I have in my profile now, you can read the rules and crap like that okay? I have came up with everything in there, but I do admit I did read some of the RP rules here and made them into my own words....

darktyranitar
14th January 2006, 04:39 AM
Yes, running a forum is tough. My friend had created about 4 forums, and two of them had already died. Well, it wasn't a Pokemon forum, BTW.

Anyway, good luck if you're going to run the forum. Anyway, do stay in TPM. It would be good to have a handful of Pokemon fans.

mr_pikachu
14th January 2006, 08:49 PM
Sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you of that; I was actually trying to respond to the comment that Grey (The Arbiter) made. Anyway, whether you make your own forum or not, I do hope you stick around. It'd be nice to have more fellow Pokefans here. :)

Mikachu Yukitatsu
15th January 2006, 02:05 AM
Yeah, you should use your energy and time carefully.

I myself go to 2 forums right now and I think that's enough. This one and my former school's. I have tried other forums, too, but my postcount there is something like 5-50 and I have left them all. Meh, I have not considered seriously making my own forums.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
15th January 2006, 10:30 AM
Well I go to 4 forums, including this one and I already have a tight schedule, imagine yourself running one.

Kiara
15th January 2006, 10:16 PM
-sighs- I understand that. I go to 10 forums including this one and I have my own. I have time I mean a lot of time, after school. But then again once my job starts then I will possibly get off of about half of those. But then again who has time when you are in a relasionship plus you go to school and life gets harder.

But right now I don't care much until I really have problems. And right now I don't have any problems what so ever.... so I can handle as many as I can.

But oh well. I've been thinking on deleting it cause well.. No one wants to join for one. No one likes my ideas for another, so bleh I give up on trying to DO forums anyways.