PDA

View Full Version : Okay, yeah, you've got a college degree. But can you do addition?

mr_pikachu
19th January 2006, 06:47 PM
Study: Most College Students Lack Skills (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060119/ap_on_go_ot/literacy_college_students)

Wow. This is pathetic. I could do most of this stuff when I was in elementary school, and college graduates are struggling with them? I guess this just shows how awful the education system is nowadays. I just didn't think it had this much of an impact on secondary education programs.

Any thoughts?

Krystalline Kabutops
19th January 2006, 08:08 PM
Am I surprised?

No.

Am I disappointed?

Yes.

Magmar
19th January 2006, 08:55 PM
Overall, the average literacy of college students is significantly higher than that of adults across the nation.

I would HOPE!

Razola
19th January 2006, 10:09 PM
Our school cut History as a required subject for graduation a year or two ago. So by the time students realize they're idiots, they won't remember why.

Very clever, those politicians.

.hacker
19th January 2006, 10:24 PM
This is really bad to hear that college graduates can't do simple comparisons and measurements... We ought to be ashamed of ourselves.

Little_Pikachu
20th January 2006, 05:16 PM
Well it's true what they say, you learn stuff in school that you'll never use in the real world, I find that since leaving school I've forgot a lot of the basics that used to be second nature to me, but now I know much more important pieces of information, things I'm actually going to use in a job or in some part of my life. Somethings you just don't need to know, so as you get older you forget them to make room for knowledge you intend to use.

nightcrow
20th January 2006, 06:02 PM
well that's what happens when cheating is fairly accepted (i know it's not really, but there is far less done about it then should be), especially some place like a college where they are getting your money.

Ace64
20th January 2006, 08:13 PM
As an high school senior, it's always depressing to hear horror stories of new college graduates taking jobs at Foot Locker and hanging around for a few years. Needless to say, this isn't too encouraging either.

Drago
21st January 2006, 06:17 PM
This is bound to be me after university.

I fool those around me into thinking I'm smart by throwing around a lot of big words and acting sophisticated, when in actuality I'm good at English and not much else. Got me to where I am today without much hassle.

As for basic skills, comprehension and all that sort of rubbish is easy pickin's, it's the math that gets to me. When I was a young'un I concluded I hate math and would never need it, so for about eight years I didn't pay much attention in subsequent math classes. Alas, it means that I've got math talents similar to those of a nine year old, but my theory is that it's easier to get through life with a calculator than a dictionary.

Mr.Pokemon
22nd January 2006, 12:27 AM
As an high school senior, it's always depressing to hear horror stories of new college graduates taking jobs at Foot Locker and hanging around for a few years. Needless to say, this isn't too encouraging either.

Sadly that is true for alot of people these days. As I continue through my college life, I realize for a lot of things you just might have get your masters or Phd to have a career in it, otherwise you'll probably end up teaching it or doing something else.

What gets to me is hearing how many college dropouts/people who didn't go to college are living successful lives while I sit through some snooty mediocre professor who lectures about Physics for two hours...sigh...

MeLoVeGhOsTs
22nd January 2006, 12:47 PM
Waw, just waw.

Crazy
22nd January 2006, 10:58 PM
Wow......Oh well, I'm not all that surprised for some reason. With the useless stuff they shove down our throats, it's no wonder that some simpler things are forgotten. Lol.

Agent Elrond
23rd January 2006, 01:40 PM
What gets to me is hearing how many college dropouts/people who didn't go to college are living successful lives while I sit through some snooty mediocre professor who lectures about Physics for two hours...sigh...

Yeah, it kinda defeats the purpose, don't it?

People seem to get this really rosy-glass vision of a college degree as a ticket that'll take them wherever they want to go. Truth is to get anything out of this world you're going to have to fight for it, and you might as well start now rather than waiting your way through an expensive school that really won't get you anywhere you want to go in the end.

I'm not saying college is bad; medical school, law school, and stuff like that are really important. You can't get a "teach yourself neurosurgery" kit. Hell no.

But I've heard from so many adults who went through college, got a degree, and then went I did something completely different. I mean, waste of time, no? If you're going to invest that much time and money in something, do it because you need to and want to, not becuase you think you just have to.

phaedrus
23rd January 2006, 03:35 PM
college students get into college not because they're qualified, but because their parents have a crunkload of money.

for colleges lacking in funding, income > grades.

RedStarWarrior
24th January 2006, 12:48 PM
I am sorry. My degree is not in fundamental mathematics.

PancaKe
24th January 2006, 10:02 PM
bahahaha
im lucky i can still do those things.
i need to hold on to what intelegence i have
pity i didnt hold onto my spelling
bahahaha