PDA

View Full Version : ~ Stolen Dreams ~

Larissa
20th January 2006, 10:29 AM
Okay, this is the second version of my trainerfic. The first version, entitled The Mistake and the Gift, was pretty bad despite the fact that I planned the stupid thing out through a great deal of the plot. Typical.

The story is now entitled Stolen Dreams. The reasoning behind that name will be explained as the story progresses.

Anyway, this is the rewritten prologue, and now I'm off to rewrite the first chapter.

By the way, the name of the prologue is still "The Mistake and the Gift."

Rating:
This chapter: PG

The rating will most likely increase as I write more of it, but we'll see.

All reviews welcome, especially constructive criticism.

There are some notes at the end to explain a few things. ^^

~ Stolen Dreams ~

Prologue: The Mistake and the Gift

She could almost feel her heart break as she stared at the creation before her.

He has no mind.

“He has a mind. He is simply not yet aware of the world outside his own self.”

You are controlling him.

Anxiety began to settle upon them. “We are not controlling him,” they tried to argue. “We are going to awaken him soon.”

Not soon. Now.

“But —”

I will not allow you to destroy another creature.

None of the scientists wanted to admit it, but they had no choice. The director of the project moved over to the window before them, placing his hand on a button. He glanced over his shoulder to see the other scientists watching nervously. Above them, she nodded. Still, the director stayed his hand, and she floated over to him, placing one tiny paw on top of his hand. Encouraged, he pressed the button.

The suction cups covering every inch of their “creation” gently removed themselves all at once. The wires retreated into the walls, where they sent information back to the scientists. That being done, her giant sapphire eyes turned to them.

He must be allowed to live. Do you understand me?

“We understand,” the director replied, his head down.

If he wants to leave once he is awake, he may leave. You may not contain him for your tests. If he wishes to stay, teach him about the world.

“Yes. It shall be done.”

He is his own creature. He belongs to no one.

“We understand.”

Very well. She turned away from them and floated through the open door at the rear of the room. Slowly, her small form went down the corridor, then turned the corner towards the exit.

“Watch him,” the director said to the other scientists. He hurried down the hallway after her and caught up to her just before the door.

What is it? she asked, glancing back at him.

“The others only care about the experiment, but . . . I’m sorry.” He hung his head in shame. “We shouldn’t have intruded. We should have left you alone.”

She smiled and made him lift his head. You are forgiven, she told him. It is your nature to be curious.

“Well, yes,” he admitted. “But we should have learned our lesson.”

Many mistakes are made more than once before they are not made again. It takes time to learn. Even I am still learning. She turned towards the door and made it open itself for her. She floated outside and paused, still hovering over the ground.

“Will we ever see you again?” he asked, not wanting to know the answer.

If fate wishes, it will be. With that, she kicked her legs, propelling herself into the sky. Within seconds, she had vanished.

The director stared after her for a few moments, reflecting upon what they had done. Ethics was not a part of traditional science, and yet he felt that they had broken a terrible taboo in what they had done. He stopped his thoughts, however, when he heard shouts from within.

His white lab coat billowing after him, the man hurried back inside. He skidded to a halt in the same room as before. The other scientists were frantically racing around, trying to figure out what was going on even though they could see it through the window.

He had awakened.

A voice rang from within their minds. Who am I? he asked. Where am I? Why am I?

Their creation had begun to think for itself.

---------------------------------------------------

I want to see her.

I want to see her.

I want to see her.

All day long, he spoke the same words in their minds over and over again, quite like a broken record. He had decided to stay, afraid of the outside world and wanting to know more before he ventured out into it. After months upon months of testing, however, the laboratory had turned into a prison of sorts. And now he was set on meeting the one who had released him.

“We’re looking for her,” they promised. “We’re looking everywhere. Don’t worry. We’ll bring her to you.”

Cannot I go to her? he would ask.

“Aren’t you afraid of what you’ll find there?”

Deflated, the creation retreated into his quarters. Relieved to have deterred him once more, the scientists returned to their tests. The director watched them go about their work, and he couldn’t help but worry that the creation would realize that they weren’t going to find her.

Destruction.

His cell was nothing but a memory. Several of the scientists had died, some by the explosions and others by his own doing. Yet he did not wish for revenge. Only escape.

I will find her.

The azure dome above welcomed him as he flew from the remains of the lab. He floated over the city, caring nothing for it, and alighted on the sandy beach facing the expansive ocean. Here he was free to do whatever he wished. He was no longer bound by the chains that had held him. He had escaped, and now he was free.

A small sound made him turn his head. Sitting on the beach a dozen feet away was a child, surrounded by colorful seashells. The little boy cocked his head at the creation and looked at him.

This child is not stained, the creation thought. Somehow, he knew that the boy was the child of some of the scientists that had kept him captive. Even so, this child is pure and untainted.

He lost himself in his thoughts, confused. How? How can this child be so pure while those other humans were so cruel? Is it that he is merely a child, or is it something more complicated? Are all humans born so pure?

No, he told himself. They are tainted from birth. There is something evil in every human. He felt his power rising as he became angry. Humans. They should not be allowed to rule this world. This world belongs to us.

The creation was too involved in his thoughts to notice that he was no longer alone. A small green creature that resembled a fairy came into view before him. Do not hurt him, she said in his mind.

He whirled around and stared at the fairy. Her blue eyes ringed with black gazed back at him. He wondered what this fairy was, and his mind provided the answer: Celebi.

Do not hurt him, she repeated.

Why? The creation was curious. Why not? He is a human. The humans have hurt me.

This child has not, Celebi replied. This child is pure of heart. I do not mean that all humans are pure, for they are not, but this particular child is. Rather than hurting him, lend your power to this child.

The creation stared at the petite fairy. This is a human. He deserves only death. How can you defend him?

Can you not see it? Celebi asked him. You know that you could never hurt an innocent child. You can only hurt those that have wronged you. Revenge may be your desire, but shameless, blatant killing is not.

The creation snorted. I cannot belive you. This is a human, and humans are vile. Humans should not be allowed to live.

If that is your belief, it cannot be changed, Celebi acquiesced. But you may not attack without reason. Is that understood? Being what you are, you too must adhere to the Balance.

The creation nodded, understanding. He turned away from Celebi and rose back into the air. I care nothing for this child, he said, but I will do as you say.

With that, he soared off into the sky. Celebi watched him, knowing that he would find a remote island and claim it as his own. He would live there by himself for many years, trying to understand the world. She then directed her gaze at the child, who had been very quiet, watching the two powerful creatures without understanding. She looked away and was about to depart when he said something.

“Mew.”

Celebi whirled around. The catlike creature was floating between the two of them. Her sapphire eyes were fixed on the little boy, and her long pink tail was twitching slightly. In return, the child was looking at her, entranced. Presently, she let out a gentle sigh.

He has escaped, has he not?

Yes, Celebi answered. He will remain isolated for many years.

I know. Mew created a small force field and covered the child with it. The little boy smiled and laughed, touching the energy and giggling when it pushed him away. Mew then called another to them. Awaken and join us, she said in its mind.

A moment later, another small creature appeared. Its star-shaped, yellow head was adorned by small wish tags. Its white face was peaceful, and a tiny bell rested upon its chest. Two golden banners billowed out behind it.

Welcome, Jirachi, Mew greeted the new arrival. I hope that you were not disturbed.

Jirachi shook her head. No, I was already awake. What is needed of me?

I want to make a wish upon this child, Mew said, nodding at the little boy.

The star-headed creature glanced at Celebi. Is that all right?

Celebi nodded. It will be good for both humans and our races.

Mew smiled at the child before turning back to them. I wish that this child will be able to fulfull his destiny so that he will help to bring the races of this world closer together with the skills we shall bestow upon him.

Jirachi’s wish tags fluttered in the breeze as she closed her eyes. A small star appeared in the sky, then drifted down to them. It fell into the heart of the child, who was still laughing and smiling at the gentle creatures around him. He stopped as he felt the star dissolve inside him, and then laughed again at the new things he felt.

Mew released the force field and hovered above the child. This is all we can do, she said, and the other two nodded. Mew floated higher above him, then kicked her legs and flew off. Celebi teleported back to where she spent her days, and Jirachi dissolved.

The child continued to giggle for a while. Finally, he decided he wanted to play with the seashells. He sat still, not wanting to have to move to get one.

At the call of his mind, a seashell floated over to him. He giggled, reaching out for it, and it obeyed.

Hours later, his parents found him there, still playing with the seashells floating all around him . . .

Disclaimer: I don't own Pokémon. Whah. And I'm not going to bother putting this every time since we already knew it.
Claimer: I own this fic and all original ideas contained within. If I have any specific ones I'll note them per chapter but otherwise I won't. I'm too lazy.
Notes: I give all legendaries genders. I have good reasons for that and it's essential to the plot, so don't bash me. If you don't like it . . . well, I'm not forcing you to read it, am I? That is, unless I larissapoked or larissaprodded you into it.

Can't think of anything else to say. o_o

darktyranitar
21st January 2006, 05:33 AM
At first I thought that this story was focusing on the creation, but then came the boy and the three legendary. On first look, Mewtwo came to my mind. It would be really interesting to see what role the boy would play in the future, and what the power will bring to him; a gift or a curse.

There wasn't any spelling or grammatical error that really capture my attention. This is pretty good for beginning. I hope you can continue writing this! :smilie:

Lady Vulpix
21st January 2006, 10:57 AM
Nice writing style. And that Mew sounds like an interesting character. Legendaries have been abused in past fics, but if you manage to avoid replicating the same old stories, this can be a promising fic.

Gavin Luper
22nd January 2006, 06:25 AM
I like this. At first glance I thought it was another Mewtwo-esque angst story, but even in this prologue you've provided enough to consitute a really good story that avoids some of the typical clichés. The characterisation, however brief, was really well done, and I liked the conversation between the creation and Celebi (about innocence and the like).

All in all, this was well written and looks to be promising. My only qualm would be the use of the typical Mewtwo-birth storyline, but again, you seem to have avoided relying too much on that in order to make a more dimensional fic.

I look forward to the next installment. :biggrin:

Cheers!

SoulflameNinetales
23rd January 2006, 12:59 AM
Refreshingly unique at the moment. I sincerely hope it remains that way. :biggrin: