PDA

View Full Version : Important Questions on DVD-R/DVD-RW discs

Knight of Time
20th January 2006, 08:11 PM
Hi.

I'm not sure how many of you guys have a DVD recorder at your house, and/or DVD burning support on your computer (at my house, we have both), but there's a couple of questions I need to ask regarding DVD R/DVD-RW discs.

1. When you check the amount of space on a single one of either kind of disc (I've seen DVD-R/DVD-RW discs with 4.7 GB on each disc), is there a way to determine how many hours of recording time there is on the disc according to the amount of space on it?

2. When recording something to a DVD-R/DVD-RW disc, how do you record a second program onto the disc w/o overwriting the first thing recorded if you're using a computer?

Thanks in advance.

Sceptile_Master
27th January 2006, 08:08 PM
I'm not sure I completely understand what your trying to say but here goes.

1. It all depends really. Depending on resolution and quality of the video and so forth. 4.7GB is alot though.

2. Ah you see... only DVD-RWs can be recorded on more than once. Although there is one exception. If you haven't finalized the DVD then you can record stuff to it again just from windows explorer (if your using windows XP that is, I wouldn't be best to tell you on other OS's because I use windows most of the time, even though I prefer macs). But once it's finalized then no more can be put on it. But some DVD players and such only except finalized DVDs. Only a DVD-RW can be written over multiple times.

I hope I was answering the right questions. Hope it helps.

Jeff
28th January 2006, 08:45 AM
Actually, in windows XP when you move a file to a CD-R or DVD-R, then it just puts it in a temporary folder and doesn't write anything untill you click write in the task pane.

1. I guess it depends on the format/resolution. I'm not exactly sure but I'm pretty sure all movie DVDs are 4.7 GB, and they can each easily store upwards of 2 hours (if not more, counting special features and all).

2. I'm not sure if windows can burn DVDs, but with CDs all you have to do is open up the CD-RW folder and copy and paste, then click write in the task pane, everything that was on the cd will stay in the write folder and will still be on the CD afterwards, it might be the same for DVDs.