PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Iron Maiden

Craig
21st January 2006, 01:04 AM
This is a thread to discuss the awesomeness that is Iron Maiden. If you hate Iron Maiden, you are free to air your opinion about their greatness but you are likely to be ignored at worst, you'll have lost your yiddish cup at our hands.

Iron Maiden sure is great. One of my favourite songs by them is Paschendale. My favourite part of the song is right around the 1 minute and 15 seconds mark, where it so proudly/ awesomely recites these lyrics

[i]Laying low in a blood filled trench
killing time 'til my very own death
on my face I can feel the falling rain
never see my friends again
in the smoke, in the mud and lead
smell of fear and feeling of dread
soon be time to go over the wall
rapid fire and the end of us all

*EXCELLENT GUITARNESS INTERLUDE*

Whistles, shouts and more gun fire
lifeless bodies hang on barbed wire
battlefield nothing but a bloody tomb
be reunited with my dead friends soon
many soldiers eighteen years
drown in mud, no more tears
surely a war no one can win
killing time about to begin

This is of course talking about the battle of Passchendaele in the first world war. It is also known as the Third Battle of Ypres. It was fought between the British, Canadians, Australians & New Zealand against the German army. It was fought for the town of the same name in Belgium. The plan was to drive a hole in the German lines and advance to the Belgian coast and capture the German submarine bases there.

After three months of fierce fighting, the Canadian army took control. It is one of the battles studied by Canadian history students. World War 1 is an immense source of pride for Canada, as it had some pretty freakin awesome war victories there like Vimy Ridge, thought to be impregnable was totally raped by us maple leafs.

Iron Maiden is just too cool for words. It takes stuff and makes it cool. The first time I heard an Iron Maiden song that was noted was on a fan-made video for the game Planetside which featured how a lone infantry man could sucessfully, solo defeat a giant mech suit named as a Battleframe Robotic, or just BFR. It was "ACES HIGH".
I thought I was in love. I even made a livejournal post proclaiming my love of all things Iron Maiden. I have since bought a T-shirt. An expensive T-shirt.

I am listening to Iron Maiden RIGHT NOW. One of my favourite songs, Hallowed Be Thy Name.

All Iron Maiden fans, heed your call.

Iron Maiden is defined by urbandictionary.com as
The greatest metal band of all time. A NWOBHM band that has defined all metal we know today (excluding Nu-Metal). Iron Maiden (along with the also immortal Judas Priest , Thin Lizzy, and Motorhead) influenced every 80s and 90s thrash band (including Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, and most noticeably Iced Earth) and invented the Power Metal genre (even though technically IM is neither thrash metal nor power metal). Their best albums are the golden trio: Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, and Powerslave. Their two new albums, Brave New World and Dance of Death, also kick fucking ass. Their best song, fuck it, THE BEST METAL SONG EVER MADE is Hallowed be Thy Name.

The greatest metal band of all time, indeed.

Iron Maiden is the beginning. Iron Maiden is the reason.

Jesus Christ speaks the truth.

The iron maiden was a cabinet shaped object that was filled with spikes. It was designed to torture and eventually kill the unfortunate victim. When the door would close, the spikes were strategically placed to skewer the body at non-vital points to cause the maximum amount of pain while keeping them alive for the longest amount of time.

Iron Maiden fans, what say you?

Heald
21st January 2006, 05:40 AM
This is a thread to discuss the awesomeness that is Iron Maiden. If you hate Iron Maiden, you are free to air your opinion about their greatness but you are likely to be ignored at worst, you'll have lost your yiddish cup at our hands.Nice YTMND reference there.
Iron Maiden sure is great.Agreed.
This is of course talking about the battle of Passchendaele in the first world war. It is also known as the Third Battle of Ypres. It was fought between the British, Canadians, Australians & New Zealand against the German army. It was fought for the town of the same name in Belgium. The plan was to drive a hole in the German lines and advance to the Belgian coast and capture the German submarine bases there.

After three months of fierce fighting, the Canadian army took control. It is one of the battles studied by Canadian history students. World War 1 is an immense source of pride for Canada, as it had some pretty freakin awesome war victories there like Vimy Ridge, thought to be impregnable was totally raped by us maple leafs. I've actually been to Ypres and Paschendale and seen the war memorials. There is a massive allotment dedicated to the maple leaves. We went because we were studying the First World War in History and yes, the Canadians did truly kick some ass. Makes us proud that you're part of our empire and actually pulling your weight (unlike those freeloading beetroot loving Australians).
Iron Maiden is just too cool for words. It takes stuff and makes it cool. The first time I heard an Iron Maiden song that was noted was on a fan-made video for the game Planetside which featured how a lone infantry man could sucessfully, solo defeat a giant mech suit named as a Battleframe Robotic, or just BFR. It was "ACES HIGH".
I thought I was in love. I even made a livejournal post proclaiming my love of all things Iron Maiden. I have since bought a T-shirt. An expensive T-shirt.Wow, that's not a very long time to have been in love with Iron Maiden. I've probably loved them since 1998, which was when they were on the soundtrack of Carmageddon 2 (still one of the best games ever made).

Yeah, pretty much everything you said is true, Iron Maiden truly do rock.

cd
22nd January 2006, 12:22 AM
boring power metal

Systematic Revolution
22nd January 2006, 03:00 AM
Iron Maiden is the greatest. I have yet to run upon a song of theirs that doesn't get my blood pumping. They are just a very musically sound band. Plus, they are solid, and the guitar parts go together very well with each other and the vocals (a problem with a lot of bands).

I saw them at Ozzfest last year. Absolutely incredible. Bruce Dickinson (despite his anti-american tendencies which I don't really care THAT much about) is an excellent addition to the band. I think he has the most excellent voice of all of the vocalists that have passed through Iron Maiden so far. He can scream like no other, that's for sure.

Little_Pikachu
22nd January 2006, 08:55 AM
I love Maiden, I went to their concert when they were up here a couple of years ago and it was amazing, the best live act I've ever seen. I think they're the only band I like where I can honestly say I don't hate any one of their songs, even the songs I don't like I still like, if you get my meaning...

Anyway, you have good musical taste, little Craig :)

MeLoVeGhOsTs
22nd January 2006, 11:15 AM
YAY I'm Belgian. YAY for Pashendale! YAY for Iron Maiden.

No seriously, they rock.

AntiAsh Superstar
24th January 2006, 05:52 AM
Iron Maiden = one of the best live acts out there, seriously. And they seriously don't have a single bad song to their name. And... and... well, they are just one of the best metal acts going, full stop. ^^

Magmar
27th January 2006, 11:36 AM
IRON MAIDEN! *plays air guitar*

(For those of you who don't know, I'm a huge Bill & Ted fan)

(But I'm also pretty big on Maiden) :biggrin:

Gengachu
17th February 2006, 05:56 PM
Meh. They're pretty mediocre in my humble opinion. Not awful, but nothing special.

Craig
19th February 2006, 01:57 AM
The following users will be burned at the stake:

cd (cool daddy?)
luna artemis
gengachu

REPENT you godless heathens

I totally forgot that this thread existed. I am listening to Iron Maiden RIGHT NOW as I saw it in the most recently posted in the sub-forum thing of Misc. Why do we have an entertainment subforum when we have such little activity anyways? TPMs forums need to be slimmed down some maybe. Atleast get rid of this useless subforum!

Anyhow, back to how much Iron Maiden rocks.

I like the song No More Lies. But it seems that for some reason, the version I put on my mp3 player (iPod nano, black. its scratched to SHIT. Does brasso really work?) it seems to randomly cut out and skip to the next song, but if I seek.. its still there! Its such a rockin song, its just so like....NO MORE LIES...*RAWKIN GUITAR* The song just gets totally fuckin awesome at around the 3:10 mark.

Words can't even describe how awesome Iron Maiden is. Sometimes I like to think I can be pretty good at writing cheesy lyrical prose crap.... cause when I've started to read novels i've actually been able to be like Wow, this writing fucking sucks ass. I never used to be able to do that. Hell, I could do better. But my mind is blankw hen it comes to describing just how awesome this band is. I just can't put it into words. The only way I guess is with their lyrics.

They're all sitting at my table.
Talking tall and drinking wine.
Their time is up just like me
But they just don't know it yet.
So just a word of warning
When you're in your deepest dreams.
There's nothing you can hide from.
I've got my eye on you.

and then like 4:50 it just starts getting totally fucking awesome and then around 5:08 its just liek BUMBUMBUMBUM BUMBUBUBMBUBM BUMBUMBUBMUM

BOOBOOBOBOBUMBUMBUM and its rawking out and its like this.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1908/rockingout4ju.jpg

its a fucking penguin!

phaedrus
20th February 2006, 12:51 PM
chances are, when you can't find words, it's because they/you suck.

at any rate, metal is the devil's music. and you think people who don't like iron maiden are godless heathens. hm

'nuff said.

Sceptile_Master
23rd February 2006, 02:18 PM

at any rate, metal is the devil's music. and you think people who don't like iron maiden are godless heathens. hm

'nuff said.

METAL IS NOT DEVILS MUSIC. DON'T EVEN START. *breathes in* It's just music people. Alot metal musicians are also active within a mainstream religon too you know. And not on the dark side of things. But anyhoo onto the topic.

Iron Maiden definetely kick major ass. Favourites are Rainmaker, Fear Of The Dark, Afraid To Shoot Strangers and Brave New World. Of the top of my head that is. I only have 2 of their albums (fear of the dark and brave new world) and one DVD (death on the road) though so you know. Great band though. But you have now given me the urge to pick my guitar up and start playing rainmaker. Haven't played that song in a while. Oooh, oooh thumbs up for phantom of the opera too.

GreenShirT
25th February 2006, 05:38 PM
They are in the studio soon and a new album should be with use before the end of the year I hope. AS WELL AS A NEW TOUR!!

Gengachu
27th March 2006, 08:30 PM
I changed my mind. They're good, but their fans overrate them.

Systematic Revolution
31st March 2006, 11:21 PM
Iron Maiden rules. I like them as much, if not more than Black Sabbath. And most of you know how much I love Black Sabbath ;)

They sing about history. And it's awesome.

darktyranitar
4th April 2006, 11:47 AM
You know, my teacher is a big fan of Iron Maiden, and always tell how good they are.

Well, just today I brought their tour album, Death On The Road. And I must say, they doesn't fail to appeal me. Not my usual listening stuff, but it's good. Iron Maiden rules!

Sceptile_Master
4th April 2006, 05:59 PM
Hmm I'd have to say Sabbath > Maiden. But both own anyhoo.

Gengachu
5th April 2006, 07:57 PM
Hmm I'd have to say Sabbath > Maiden. But both own anyhoo.
I second that statement. Queen owns both of them, though.

Hatake Kakashi
6th April 2006, 12:49 AM

'nuff said.

You like Phish. Any and all musical opinions you have are immedietly null and void.

Gengachu
7th April 2006, 05:09 PM
You like Phish. Any and all musical opinions you have are immedietly null and void.
Way to be really closeminded. *applauds* Don't be a jackass about music.

Phish has some great stuff. I enjoy Billy Breathes a lot.

Heald
7th April 2006, 05:12 PM
Way to be really closeminded. *applauds* Don't be a jackass about music.

Phish has some great stuff. I enjoy Billy Breathes a lot.
I believe he was being facetious.

Systematic Revolution
10th April 2006, 08:29 PM
You know, my teacher is a big fan of Iron Maiden, and always tell how good they are.

Well, just today I brought their tour album, Death On The Road. And I must say, they doesn't fail to appeal me. Not my usual listening stuff, but it's good. Iron Maiden rules!

Get Powerslave. Awesome album.

PancaKe
13th April 2006, 07:41 AM
Iron Maiden.
One of the bands on my "To Listen To" list.
Actually Iv'e heard a few songs and they aint bad
:-)

Gengachu
14th April 2006, 05:13 PM
I believe he was being facetious.
It's sometimes hard to tell online. Besides, people can get pretty snobby about music.

Systematic Revolution
22nd April 2006, 05:44 PM
Iron Maiden.
One of the bands on my "To Listen To" list.
Actually Iv'e heard a few songs and they aint bad
:-)

Go buy all of their albums now.

D!
20th May 2006, 06:31 AM
Iron Maiden fans, what say you?

Fucking. awesome. band..
One of my favorites..
I did a school music assignment on them last year..