PDA

View Full Version : Best Video Game Remake

classy_cat18
12th March 2003, 12:22 AM
Ok, a lot of games have been brought out of the archive, polished and revived. What are your favorite remakes? Here's mine:

Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3-- It looks just like SNES version! Now I can kick big boss butt on the go!

Super Mario All-Stars-- The king of remakes. I was so relieved when I got this b/c my NES was broken.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past-- Haven't played the game yet, but hey, any remake of Zelda is all good, right?

Future remakes that I plan to get:
Yoshi's Story
Donkey Kong Country

dienamight
12th March 2003, 03:45 AM
If they look exactly the same, wouldn't that make them a port rather than a remake?

PNT510
12th March 2003, 04:23 AM
I hate remakes. I like Master Quest, but that is the exception, not the rule.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
12th March 2003, 07:32 AM
There aren't many that I have played but I enjoyed Castlevania Chronicles most of them. It has decent graphics, yet still holds on to its roots. The controls are still as bad (back then they were awesome) as they used to be, good thing I know how it works already.

Once again the music is one of the best things of the game, like in almost all Castlevania games. A bunch of old remixes from Vampire Hunter to Wicked Child.

All in all pretty decent but you don't get too much for you money. They should have added Simon's Quest too and not you give you a remake of the original Castlevania.

From Chaos
12th March 2003, 11:32 AM
Master Quest is rather fun. I'm liking how they switched stuff around.

But when FF Origins comes out it's gonna be Number 1 ;)

classy_cat18
16th March 2003, 08:04 PM
I called Yoshi's Island a remake b/c although the graphics are the same, they added extra sounds and more secrets. Now it's harder to get a 100 in every level!

Adz44
17th March 2003, 12:59 PM
I like the Game Cube remake of Resident Evil. I thought it was good of them to add new features rather than just enhance the graphics. I reckon they've done enough to make people buy the game for the GCN, even if they have played it for the PSX or DC.

I've read a topic on another board about the rest of the conversions and apparently they're doing straight ports. I'd like a second opinion.

Are the remakes of RE 2, 3 and Code Veronica going to have PSX graphics or are they going to bother making some changes?

If there is answer is a straight port, what the heck are Capcom playing at? I wouldn't buy them (as I already have those games in PSX format). You could buy a PSX or DC from E-Bay and get the original game for less than £40 these days (quite easily I'm sure).

Shadowfax
20th March 2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by dienamight
If they look exactly the same, wouldn't that make them a port rather than a remake?

yes, it would.

and the best remake ever has to be Resident Evil for the Gamecube, it's just brilliant ;D

Master Rudy
26th March 2003, 04:06 PM
As much as I enjoy newer games I must say that remakes and ports do sometimes sell quite well. Among some of my favs that I have played are the following:

Mario All-Stars
How can you not talk about ports without at least mentioning this? Four NES games on one cart with a 16 bit facelift. The gameplay may be simple but no one can deny the fact that each game in this set is a classic

Square's PSX re-releases
Currently I own the FF Chronicles set and I have played FF6. Pretty soon I plan to add FF Origins to that list. Despite load times in most of these games (about six seconds to access the status screen in CT?)each one is a classic. While FF6 is my fav among these ports I must say that the best one was FF4. The only time I noticed any type of load time was when saving to a memory card. After seeing the great job that was done on FF4 I can't wait to see what Square does with FF 1&2

Resident Evil GCN
While some might disagree I currently find this to be the greatest remake of any game that I've ever played. Not only was it improved for the Cube but the script was also made better and gave the game a much more serious feel compared to the original with it's corny lines ("You are the master of unlocking!"). Plus how could you forget to mention the new area and parts to the story not in the original? In some cases stuff like this can hurt a game but I think it worked perfectly for RE.

And to answer Adz's question the games are going to be direct ports. I heard one was going to be a port of the PSX version while the other would be a port of the Dreamcast version. Normally that would not bother me because RE 2&3 are great games. Originally Capcom was going to sell them at $20 each in the US but then backed out and put them back up to $40. Personally I think that will only hurt sales. Good luck finding those games BTW. Both have been out for a few months but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Looks like most stores know that they won't sell well when some of them still carry the Greatest Hits PSX versions.

As for Code Veronica that will also be a port. Problem is I don't know what version is being used. Some reports I've heard say it'll be the original for the Dreamcast while others have said it will be CVX for the PS2. I guess only time will tell on that one.