PDA

View Full Version : Preview: The Academy (Still taking applications!!)

Greyfox
24th January 2006, 06:22 PM
So I've decided to cancel my previous works because... I hated them. Anyway, during the time where I had no Internet access, I decided to poké-modify one of my existing novellas into the following. I'm not sure if I should continue writing it, so I decided to preview it for those out there to critique.

Oh yeah, I also feel it necessary to expose my true identity. For those of you who thought I was actually named "Grey", dot-dot-dot. However, for those of you who knew me as "A. J. Hawthorne", haha! That's just a pen name. My real name is "Andrew Neff", however, because there's already an Andrew here... feel free to keep calling me Grey or Drew or whatever the hell you want. But anyway... without further stalling for time, I give you... The Academy.

THE ACADEMY

Super Duper Preview Addition

written by andrew j. neff

“I choose Golduck!”

I tossed the blue-shaded Poké Ball to the grassy fields below. Currently, I was battling against some big shot trainer from a greater city. He looked familiar for some reason, but I didn’t care enough to think about who he was. His face featured a certain arrogance that was only complimented by his large ego.

I watched as the trainer, whose name I never collected, tossed his Poké Ball to the ground in a similar motion; “You’re up, Cacturne!”

I figured as much. A trainer with this kind of attitude couldn’t rely on his own talents to win battles. It would appear that he won all his battles by elemental advantage—it looked like now would be the best time to shoot down his overconfidence.

The two Pokémon were released from their Poké Balls; I watched as each of them stared one another down. No doubt they were waiting for us to call out our attacks. Cacturne had the characteristics of both grass and dark elements, meaning that my golduck’s psychosis would be ineffective. Despite all this, I wasn’t worried. With a smirk on my face, I eagerly awaited my opponent’s first move.

“Let’s go, Cacturne! Use your Solarbeam while the sun’s still shinin’!”

Of course he’d try to take advantage of the elements; “Let’s make him take his time, Golduck,” I mused, “start off with a Rain Dance to slow down his charge. Then, use your Ice Beam to knock him off balance!”

Contrary to popular belief, pokémon didn’t communicate simply by calling their names out in repetition—rather, they did so in a series of roars, grunts, or barks, similar to the animals from which they had evolved. As Cacturne closed his eyes and collected energy from the sun which lofted overhead, Golduck clapped his webbed hands rhythmically as several gray storm clouds floated in the sky. Quickly blocking out the sun’s powerful presence, a salty collection of water fell from the heavens.

Cacturne grunted, trying harder and harder to gather more sunlight to launch his attack. Meanwhile, Golduck leapt back and fired form his golden beak a solid beam of ice. As it hurdled through the air, the beam of frozen water began to collect the tiny water droplets as they fell. The ice beam slammed into Cacturne’s lower torso; he cried out in pain, clutching the wound with his two hands while trying to remain composed.

As the rain began to fall more heavily, I noticed that a few of the spectators that had encompassed the small grass field had gone away, perhaps to locate a nice tree to stand under. One figure remained—he looked to be an older fellow, in his mid-thirties, perhaps. He studied the two Pokémon battling as if he were being tested on this one day. I resumed my attention on the battle at hand, and waited to see my opponent make his next move.

Slowly but surely, the large cactus-esque Pokémon cried out as the barely-there sun gave him enough energy to attack his foe. Clapping his two pin-cushiony hands together, my opponent’s cacturne fired off a beam of concentrated sol energy. My golduck focused on the aforementioned beam of sunlight, waiting for just the right moment to duck away.

“Golduck, dodge and use Water Pulse,” I retaliated.

The blue golduck nodded at me, letting me know that he could handle the situation. When the golden beam shot through the field, he quickly stepped to the side. Narrowly avoiding the cacturne’s effort, Golduck smirked brightly while opening his beak once more. His eyes remained closed as a blue aura engulfed him; the falling raindrops immediately concentrated in a ball-shape within Golduck’s mouth briefly. When the moment was perfect, Golduck immediately hurled the collection of water directly at the cacturne.

“Cacturne,” my opponent yelled with no sense of concern, “counter with Needle Arm!”

However, as the chilling waters slapped against the grass Pokémon’s plant-like exterior, Cacturne only stared blankly. He was confused.

“Cacturne, do what I said!”

“I think he’s confused,” I earnestly replied.

“Don’t try to school me,” the cocky trainer scoffed, “do you even know who I am?”

No, I didn’t.

“I was the SGA President at my high school,” he smirked, “and I just so happen to be training at the top academy in the country next fall.”

Now I remembered. His name was Collin James, an elitist bigot from my high school. SGA stood for “Student Government Association”, which really meant nothing at all. However, despite accomplishing virtually nothing at all during his high school career, he received “first dibs” on everything, including a parking spot in the front row. His parents were loaded, which is why he got to drive home in a brand new Mustang every day. His parents were probably paying his tuition, too.

I had no tolerance for spoiled kids like him.

Meanwhile, the young man’s cacturne still stared blankly towards the sky, perhaps wondering why he was engulfed by “big grayish-black things”. This gave me an idea.

“Golduck, finish him with your Focus Punch!” Dark-aligned Pokémon such as houndoom and umbreon, or in this case, cacturne, weren’t used to being hit with a barrage of physical attacks, which meant that they had a weak defense against them. Normally, pokémon wouldn’t use Focus Punch because it required the user to become so engrossed by the attack that he or she would have no means to evade the attacks from his or her opponent. When the focus was dropped, the attack would fail as well. Luckily for me, however, Golduck’s opponent was currently in “la-la land”, giving him enough time to concentrate.

As the harsh rain continued to pelt down from up above, Golduck closed his eyes and took several deep breaths. Collin continued to barrage the field with a series of insults and loud noises in hopes to break the trance which his pokémon had fallen. A few moments had passed, and while the cacturne stood slothfully in the wet grass, Golduck bashed him with his right arm, knocking him to the ground; ultimately, out of the battle.

Collin cursed under his breath whilst holding up a Poké Ball, “Return, Cacturne,” he said as he pointed the ball towards his fallen pokémon. Slightly depressing the middle button on the ball, he shot out a red beam of energy which zapped the downed beast before decomposing him in a pool of red light. Less than a second later, the cacturne was already pulled out of the field.

As the stuck-up “college student” walked away, I noticed my one and only spectator walking forward, “That was a magnificent display,” he mused, “what’s your name, kid?”

“Graves,” I replied, “Robbie Graves.”

[b][i][font=Palatino Linotype]-drew

PancaKe
24th January 2006, 09:50 PM
bahahah
sounds awesome ^_^
p.s was great catching up with you on emm-ess-en. awesome times dude ^_^
lol we used to talk SO much what ever happened?
hahah
anyhoo write the damn fic :P

Greyfox
24th January 2006, 09:56 PM
Perfect. The plan has is in motion; soon everyone will a response from PancaKe and say, "Well, if she stopped to read it, then it must be good!!" Then they will respond just to look cool, and then more and more people will do the same.

I am awesome. And slightly delusional.

mr_pikachu
24th January 2006, 10:06 PM
It looks like a good start to me (or a good section near the beginning; it's hard to be certain of where exactly in the fic this takes place). The one thing I'd caution you against would be making the rest of this fic lean too much toward the old "good trainer vs. bad trainers" cliche. Having your main character occasionally battle someone who doesn't train his Pokemon the "right way" is fine, but it might be best not to make a habit out of it.

Anyway, it looks like this could be good, even though there's not much of a sense of what the plotline could be. I like the writing style overall, and I look forward to seeing what becomes of this piece. Nice to meet you, Andrew. I'll see you around. :wave:

Greyfox
24th January 2006, 10:23 PM
This is actually where the beginning takes place; the mysterious older man who was watching the battle was actually one of the professors at the academy who later advises Graves to attend.

And don't worry about the "good trainer versus bad trainer" cliché; as Graves' personality develops, he'll realize that he is quite condescending when it comes to the "preppy" kids.

[b][i][font=palatino linotype]-drew

Chris 2.1
27th January 2006, 04:52 PM
Excellent description. You are aware, I know, but just so I look like I know what I'm talking about: make sure you dont sugar-coat every single thing with rich description.

"He carefully (yet vigorously) pushed the bristles deeper inside his mouth, feeling a frothy foal accumulating as a distinct peppery taste filled his mouth. He withdrew the brush and spat into the sink, feeling a sudden sting from the strong toothpaste"

Instead of

"He brushed his teeth"

Anyway, make sure you describe what needs to be described, and also make sure you have a good solid plot. Good luck!

Greyfox
29th January 2006, 01:49 PM
For some reason, I couldn't help but laugh at that, Chris. Keep settings and main objectives very well scripted: Check.

Anyway, more to the point. Because this one's taking place in a school, I'm obviously going to need some background characters. This is where you guys come in. Anyone wanting to participate in this epic, feel free to say so (make sure to post what pokémon you'd like to have as well). If you're from ASB... I'll figure it out.

Chris 2.1
29th January 2006, 02:05 PM
Me me me.

Name: Chris Walker
Height: 6'
Description: One of those funnymen who doesnt appear to have any talent or intelect. A friendly person who doesn't really get angry very often.
Pokemon: How many can we have? I'll say Masquerain [F], Cacturne [M] and Marowak [M].

The Blue Avenger
29th January 2006, 02:17 PM
Hmm... this looks like it could be a very good fic. And of course, seeing your reffings, I don't think you'll have any problems with battle scenes. And, on a less serious note, I really like the main character's name.

I suppose I'll sign up...

Name: Jeff Azure
Appearance: He wears a blue suit, all the same color, that covers his entire body. He wears white gloves, a black tie, and black, polished shoes. Jeff also wears a blue mask. In short, he looks like the guy in this picture. (http://starmen.net/mother2/images/game/hhappyist.png) He stands at about 5 feet 11.
Information: He's 17, although nobody really knows that. In fact, nobody knows much about him, just because he's such a bizarre character... Jeff hails from a small nameless village out in the middle of nowhere. The dominant religion there is Happy-Happyism, which teaches that the color blue leads to happiness. Jeff enrolled at the school officially to learn more about Pokemon, but really to promote Happy-Happyism. Because he tends to be preachy, not many people spend a lot of time with Jeff. He's very intelligent as well, but also fairly clumsy.
Pokemon: Anyone from my ASB team will do.

mr_pikachu
29th January 2006, 02:19 PM
Oh, why not?

Name: Brian [insert last name here]
Height: 5' 11"
Description - Physical: Somewhat thin (but not gaunt), with brown hair, hazel eyes, and a fair complexion. Loves T-shirts and shorts for their simplicity; will wear them occasionally even if it's snowing, which often gets him sick.
Personality: Most of the time, he goofs off and jokes around. Making people laugh, however, is merely a defense for a shattered soul...
Pokemon: Psyduck, Machop, Cyndaquil, Jigglypuff, Gengar

Y'know, whenever I do one of these, I always give a very different description from all my previous submissions. It's kind of fun, actually. ^_^

EDIT: So, Jeff is in the shape of a line of block text? Interesting...

MeLoVeGhOsTs
29th January 2006, 02:41 PM
Very nice story! This has great potential, I'd love to read more about this!

Anyway, I'll sign up, but I'm not getting my hopes up:

Name: Matt Reveroli
Height: 1.81m (I can only use the metric system)
Description: A rather silent type, determined, but yet stubborn and quickly distracted.
Pokemon: Slowbro [F], Sandslash [M], Noctowl [M]

Silencer
29th January 2006, 02:59 PM
Ooooh, me sign up ^^;

Name: Drake [last name]
Looks: Around 1m70 (like MLG I don't know the inches and stuff), He wears a plain black shirt and blue jeans. On his right hand he wears a fingerless glove with metallic knuckels. Unshaven and wild mid-long hair make him look somewhat of a cool looking hobo.
Personality: He likes the shadows, a loner that doesn't really care about anything in the world except his pokémon and becoming a trainer. Focussed on his goals he doesn't take advise from just anyone. You must prove you are better if you want to help him, he only looks up to superiors. If you are a superior you are one of his goals, his aiming point.
Pokémon: I'll stand out and say 6 :p
Electabuzz, Kabutops, Espeon, Nidoking, Ninetails, Tangela

Greyfox
31st January 2006, 04:53 PM
Wow... this preview is getting more feedback than all of my previous fics combined. Excellent, the plan has succeeded.

Some notes:

To those of you who posted entire teams that have evolutions, I'm just going to choose one of them and basic-fy them (meaning that Chris will start out with a Cubone), and as the story unfolds, the teams will further develop. Reason for this is because when they first join the academy, they're to have no pokémon with them whatsoever. Thus, Graves won't have Golduck; all the characters will be using "rentals" for the first few weeks until they capture their own pokémon.

On another note... everyone's posting backstories... you're all background characters... extras that don't have any speaking roles... you deserve no focus... =P

I kid... a lot of you will be in this, and'll probably play central parts in some of the chapters, so look out for that.

[b][i][font=Palatino Linotype]-Grey

darktyranitar
1st February 2006, 05:14 AM
This seems like a promising fic. I am really looking for this fic to start. Get this fic up soon!

BTW, are you still accepting side characters? Anyway, here's mine if you're still accepting:

Name: Faiz Rahman
Height: 5' 6"
Looks: He is a bit thin, with black, crew-cut hairstyle and a bit of goatee. He usually wear a t-shirt along with a cargo pants.
Personality: A little hotheaded, he can do crazy things when angered. He is friendly to those who he considered his friend. He usually gives his first impression as a boring person, but is actually quite interesting once you know him. Likes to talk anything related to Pokemon battle.
Pokemon: Scyther, Skitty, Espeon

Greyfox
1st February 2006, 07:13 AM
Heh, nope. Stopped taking applications a second before you posted. Sorry, look for us in the inevitable sequel, "The Academy: Grey's Running Out of Pitches".

[color=#666666][b][i][font=Palatino Linotype]-bad joke'd