PDA

View Full Version : What Do You name Your Pokemon?

PersianKing
24th January 2006, 10:35 PM
Here are some of mine

Persian: Drago
Arbok: Viper
Blastoise: Typhoon
Zapdos: Apollo
Onix: Onyx
Steelix:Titan
Bellsprout: Leafy
Golem: Limestone/Rocky
Rapidash:Stallion(male)
Tryanitar:Bargon
Ariados:Kumonga
Arcanine:Speed
Scizor: IronFist/Stryker

Lady Vulpix
25th January 2006, 05:20 AM
Well, at first I used to give them whatever names crossed my mind. When I played Pokemon Crystal, I named most of my pokemon after TPMers. But my adopted and captured pokemon are the only ones I've been keeping for a long time, and the adopted ones are the only onesI've really been paying attention to (well, there's Skydancer on my captured team, but even he has done nothing but battle), so I'm listing the adopted ones here.

Pidgeot: no name yet, even though he was my first pokemon. I might write an arc tgive him a name or something, but he might end up with a name like Spark, the way things are going.
Ninetales: Hero.
Kingdra: Water Angel. I didn't name her, she already had that name when I got her.
Vaporeon: Tsunami.
Venusaur: Sylvan.
Dragonite: Lagi.
Charizard: Amber.
Venomoth: Ventura.
Espeon: Caledor.
Stantler: Iael.

Magmar
25th January 2006, 05:45 AM
I theme my Pokemon. One game they'll all have Harry Potter names. My current trek through Sapphire has a full party named after Allister songs. It's pretty unique. I have a Treecko named Fullerton and a Lombre named Westbound, for example.

I like to name my Mewtwos "Crucio" :)

mr_pikachu
25th January 2006, 06:04 AM
I usually don't name my Pokemon unless I accidentally hit "Yes" (after which I emit some sort of profane yell and a grumble before sighing to myself), but when I do name them, it's usually pretty lame. "Flame" is a pretty common one for Fire Pokemon, and I think "Tear" is about as clever as I've gotten for Water-types. Heck, I've probably named a Geodude "Rock" before. ^_^;;

Out of curiosity, Gabi, exactly which TPMers did you select for your Crystal Pokemon? Just wondering. >_>;

Lady Vulpix
25th January 2006, 07:06 AM
Zak, Sam, Ade, Soo, Matt, Chris (Ledian_X, I know there are a lot of them), Suzie, Karin, Amy, Julina, Ryan, Steve... I think I had a Tyler too... and I was looking for a pokemon to name Danny, but Aipoms are hard to get.

If I were to play it again I'd include some other members, and remove a few.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
25th January 2006, 09:50 AM
I used to name my Pokémon. The names were mostly my Finnish translations for their names.

I have been planning to name a Bellsprout Hellsprout and train it to level 99, but I have only Pokémon Red, Sapphire and Ruby. Correct if I'm wrong, but there isn't a Bellsprout there, is there?

SilverMaster
26th January 2006, 02:50 PM
i've never named a pokemon and probibly never will. I prefer the original species name.

Kaboom
26th January 2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I hardly ever name mine as well. However, sometimes I get a little creative (to a point). This is my current FireRed team...

"Blaze" (Charizard)
"Torrent" (Vaporeon)
"Tombstone" (Rhydon)
"Lightning" (Electabuzz)
"Zynx" (Jynx - Trader, had no choice)

Simple, yet moderately cool.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
27th January 2006, 04:38 AM
I mostly name my pokemon after Greek or Roman gods. I also used biblic names.

Macargo: Hephaestus
Gardevoir: Athene
Swampert: Leviathan
Flygon: Hermes
Vileplume: Demeter

etc.

Kaboom
30th January 2006, 07:39 PM
I mostly name my pokemon after Greek or Roman gods. I also used biblic names.

Macargo: Hephaestus
Gardevoir: Athene
Swampert: Leviathan
Flygon: Hermes
Vileplume: Demeter

etc.

I do that sort of thing sometimes, too (I've named a Blaziken "Ares" before); though I tend to not be able to remember applicable names when the time to nickname comes...

Kudos on the concept of biblical names.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
1st February 2006, 06:13 AM
I only used to give my Pokémon nicknames when I started playing. I didn't use any clever ones, just gave them "normal" names every person could have. Unfortunately I forgot which Pokémon had which name as my number of critters grew so I stopped with it again.

rinku
6th February 2006, 04:14 PM
I do a lot of breeding, so I need lots of names to keep track of who is who. Mainly just normal names like "Terry" or "Biff", but it's not a fixed rule. I prefer not to use species names, but I have been recently while gathering hundreds of wild pokémon to get a surfing Pichu on Box. Those guys are just going to be thrown away in the end, so it's not worth bothering.

AntiAsh Superstar
8th February 2006, 02:42 PM
Zak, Sam, Ade, Soo, Matt, Chris (Ledian_X, I know there are a lot of them), Suzie, Karin, Amy, Julina, Ryan, Steve... I think I had a Tyler too... and I was looking for a pokemon to name Danny, but Aipoms are hard to get.

If I were to play it again I'd include some other members, and remove a few.

Dare I ask which pokémon you named after me? :O

Anyways my main pokémon have fixed names and random pokémon I don't care about get random combinations of Japanese syllables. Examples of the creatures that always get named are...

Umbreon - Milliardo
Ninetales - Pearl
Onix/Steelix - Brandy
Houndoom - Pandora
Blastoise - Beckham
Jolteon - Rhiannon
Azumarill - Megan

Hehe, I'm so stuck in me ways. :)

The Blue Avenger
8th February 2006, 04:13 PM
I tend to be pretty random when it comes to naming. Sometimes, Pokemon get video game related names (ie, Bobbery the Snorlax, Lady Bow the Gastly, Groove Guy the Sudowoodo, Mr. Carpainter the Smeargle), some get random Italian words (ie Groviglio the Tangela, Previsiona the Castform, Cambiamente the Ditto, Trezzatura the Beldum), and some get song references (ie Triangle Man the Sharpedo, Universe Man the Poliwag).

Then there are those that don't make sense even to me. I had a Blaziken at one point named NoMafiaTie.

SoulflameNinetales
9th February 2006, 11:04 AM
I'm very freeform when it comes to naming my pokemon, there are a few i use always for certain pokemon

Here's a few that i have used often...

Umbreon - Twilight
Muk - Gravy
Exeggutor - Coconuts
Ninetales - Soulflame
Jynx - Lady Snow
Weezing - Chemikal
Sandslash - Sandro/Sandra (depends on gender)
Lapras - Mysts
Flareon - Pyrus
Mightynea - Fenris
Arcanine - Barker
Fearow - Razorbeak
Typlosion/Charizard - Firestorm
Vulpix - Vicky
Jolteon - Flash
Suicune - Aurora
Electrode - XplodeALot

I've also named a male vulpix after myself once and acted out "battle" faces, while i was hyper and bored. And i have attempted to make a team based on my best friends

Phoenixsong
13th March 2006, 08:12 PM
Gosh, nicknames... Yeah, I nickname my Pokemon most of the time. In fact, in recent times the only games I've kept nameless are the LeafGreen I borrowed from my brother and the used Sapphire I bought recently. Most of them are themed games like Magmar's (it was Magmar, right?)- in my first Sapphire they all have either the Japanese names of characters or else cool-looking Japanese words, like so:

Sceptile F- Chihiro
Blaziken M- Kenshin
Swampert M- Bakura
Swellow M- Kudarizaka
Zangoose M- Kirikizu

Or maybe I'll name them after characters from my favorite books, like in my FireRed where all of my Pokemon were named after Redwall characters. And other times it's just whatever comes to mind, and then the names can either be cool like Ishizu, Seto Fangorn and Ephraim to funny like Sombrero to weird like Nameless, Rhino Bob and Llama Bob when I'm stuck or else I loathe its guts and it's only there for the Pokedex. And my two tournament teams- the team I won the Journey Across America qualifier with and the Eevee team I don't actually have yet but intend to create- all/all will have nicknames.

Blaziken M- Phoenix
Salamence M- Bakura
Absol M- Mattaku
Mewtwo- Lyon
Groudon- Angirus
Kyogre- Oceanus

Eevee F- Eowyn
Vaporeon F- Ruto
Jolteon M- Bakura
Flareon M- Martin
Espeon F- Trelawney
Umbreon M- Kratos

As you can see (or maybe not), these names came from everywhere from Fire Emblem/Tales of Symphonia/Zelda characters to Redwall/Harry Potter/LotR characters to Greek Titans to mythical animals to the Japanese word for disaster (they're all an amalgamation of the best I've got from different games... or will have, because not a single member of that Eevee team exists yet). And yes, I do have three Pokemon named after Bakura Ryou. Is there a problem with that? Well, if there is, I don't care, because gawd I love that boy!

Anyway, yeah, I love nicknames. I've even made it a personal "tradition" that the first game I ever start in each version/generation is a nickname game, so we'll just have to wait and see what madness I can come up with for DP. Okay, shutting up now. Gotta get that Eevee team started sometime if they've even got half a hope of being level 100 for August, y'know.