PDA

View Full Version : how many shinys do you people have?

shinymudkip
25th January 2006, 07:57 PM
ive had my sapphire for almost 3 years now but ive never found a single shiny in my life WHY!!!!!!!!!!

Magmar
25th January 2006, 09:44 PM
Because you're unlucky. Sorry. :)

Number1ChanseyFan
26th January 2006, 09:01 AM
[color=magenta]Meh, just keep trying, I know it is frustrating, but one will turn up eventually!!

The shinies that I have are:

Gold: Gyarados, Spearow, Fearow.
Silver: Gyarados.
Crystal: Gyarados.
Ruby: Koffing, Zigzagoon. (Zigzagoon was from the GameStop promotion.)
Sapphire: Grimer, Linoone, Swablu, Zigzagoon (This Zigzagoon was also from the promo.)
Emerald: Smeargle.
FireRed: None.
LeafGreen: None.

SilverMaster
26th January 2006, 02:57 PM
I've only ever seen 1 shiny, and it was in the first 10 minutes of playing. It was a gold ratatta.

Somewhere i read the chances of catching a shiny are 1 in 8000 odd, but somewhere else it said 1 36000. There's also no cheat (on gameshark atleast) for catching all shineys

shinymudkip
26th January 2006, 07:35 PM
ok something insane happened the day after i wrote the last message. i was walking around and then on my emerald what would appear a SHINY LATIAS!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i only had 1 premere ball so it fled but WOW!!!

shinymudkip
26th January 2006, 07:38 PM
any one make sure you dont downloud what i put i diddnt know what would happen if i put it there and that happens. dont know what happens if you click it tho.

Magmar
26th January 2006, 10:52 PM
The moderators generally frown upon double posting, except in special circumstances. Thee's a button titled "Modify" next to each post where you can add or delete information from your post. (Better off hearing it from me.)

I do have a Shiny Gyarados XD; and everyone knows about my Goldeen issue. I attract Shiny Goldeen. I wonder if odds are changed based upon your character's name. Mine's always "Barry" in exactly that way.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
27th January 2006, 04:33 AM
I have a shiny Zubat and Geodude on my Silver, never really trained them though.

No shiny's for RSEFRLG.

Lady Vulpix
27th January 2006, 04:40 AM
I've never found any shinies, except for the Gyarados.
Not that I've played for as long as other people have... I didn't really expect to find any.

And shinymudkip... what Magmar said is right, so please follow his advice.

mr_pikachu
27th January 2006, 02:18 PM
I think we've had this topic a few times before in some of the game forums, but it's been awhile. Anyway, I've actually never even seen a Shiny other than the red Gyarados in GSC. That makes a total of eight games that I have played/am playing in which I've essentially been Shiny-less: Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, and LeafGreen.

Meh, that's life, I suppose. Come next generation, I'll be shooting for double digits in my list of games without random Shinies.

SilverMaster
27th January 2006, 03:06 PM
Somewhere in the stadium 2 cheats/walkthrough it said if you change your pokemons Nickname it can make it shiny. I haven't tried it yet but it might work.

If you see a shiny 'roaming beast', that'll run away from you, is it shiny the next time you see it.

PersianKing
27th January 2006, 04:53 PM
Nidoqueen
Gyarados

Sceptile_Master
27th January 2006, 07:47 PM
No the nickname thing just made your pokemon look a different color in pokemon stadium 1. And the chances for a shiny is 1/8192 off the top of my head I think. But anyhoo I've got a shiny Tentacruel and a shiny Blastoise. Your probably just unlucky. You might get one someday though.

soggy_cardboard
27th January 2006, 10:56 PM
ive had a few shiny pokemon on crystal (inc free daycare eggs)

But the ONLY other shiny i have got is a exeggcute in Fire red.

Gnight
29th January 2006, 07:25 AM
I must be pretty lucky. I ran into a shiny tentnacool after about 70 hours of play in my sapphire. It's a tentnacruel now. I also have a shiny ditto and medopod(never trained it) back in my Gold. The only shiny that I've ran into and managed to get way was a dang oddish. Oh, I have a shiny gyaraydos, too. XD

*Murkrow
31st January 2006, 01:43 PM
Let's see.....

Silver: Gyarados, three Raticate's (one caught as a Rattata), Butterfree, Persian (caught as Meowth), Meowth, saw a Girafarig (Donphan KO'd it)
Crystal: First file: Gyarados, Raticate, Sneasel, Farfetch'd (both from breeding Raticate)
Second file: Gyarados, Cleffa
Gold: Gyarados

Ruby: First file: Spinda, Latias (Southern Island, damned waste of time though I didn't think that way then)
Second file: Swellow (caught as Taillow), Illumise

My second Ruby file has been pretty lucky in that aspect; Taillow was caught five hours into the game, and Illumise was caught a week ago with about 50 hours on the clock. Though I only use Swellow- Illumise is just going to be used for trade fodder sometime or the other.

rinku
31st January 2006, 06:55 PM
ok something insane happened the day after i wrote the last message. i was walking around and then on my emerald what would appear a SHINY LATIAS!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i only had 1 premere ball so it fled but WOW!!!

Congrats! Since its stats are fixed from when you first encounter it, you'll just have to track it down - it will still be shiny when you do. If you can trade one over, I'd reccommend a Murkrow with Mean Look to trap it (L40 wild Latias has no attacks that can affect Dark types). Sableye can do, but it would have to be a high level, fast one (+speed maxed out at about L60). Fortunately, high level Sableye can be caught wild.

My own list is:
Crobat (caught as Zubat), Wingull, Shuppet, Sableye, Linoone (berry-fix bonus Zigzagoon).
Failed to catch a shiny Makuhita when he used Whirlwind on me (now I never travel on Victory Road without something with Suction Cups!). Have seen shiny Kecleon and Starmie in Battle Tower.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
1st February 2006, 06:16 AM
The only two shinies I ever came across were given to be me in-game. Beside those I never stumbled over a single shiny Pokémon in game. But then, I wasn't really looking for any either, no walking around in the grass for hours for me.

Zap_zapdos
27th February 2006, 03:06 PM
I have a few shinings:

Crystal:Gyarados;ledian---wow---it apeared in my birthday-----;spinarak and ariados(traded)weedle,kakuna &beedrill(traded) and cleffa(traded too)

sapphire:---all traded---wingull and a marill had a friend with a shiny

i had a friend with a shiny claydol, but he made new game, and in the new file he caught a shiny marill(i have it now) :biggrin:

Mega Horny
27th February 2006, 03:13 PM
I'm a big shiny collecter

Gold: Gyarados, Electrode, Seaking, Rapidash
Silver: Gyarados, Ampharos, Steelix, Golduck, Tangela, !Entei!
Crystal: Gyarados, Tentacruel, Ursaring, Nidoking
Ruby: Muk, Linoone, Tropius, Snorlax
Sapphire: Machamp
Emerald: Masquerain, Nosepass, Aggron, Golem, Crobat
FireRef: None
LeafGreen: Tyranitar, Illumise, Arcanine

Lady Vulpix
28th February 2006, 05:42 PM
How long did you have to play in order to find them?

Mega Horny
28th February 2006, 06:03 PM
depends. it actually SEEMED to take longer in GSC. Luck with most of them, just training/catching in the right area at the right time. Other times it wasn't luck, like once I decided I wanted a turquoise Aggron, so I went to the Dewford cave and encountered shiny geodude zubat and nosepass first. I spent like 25 hours probably, just searching there. I know ur thinking, get a life, but it wasn't in one sitting and took a while.

SilverMaster
2nd March 2006, 01:48 PM
i red somewhere the odds of finding a shiny are more in your favour in advanced than the colour games. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Mega Horny
2nd March 2006, 01:52 PM
I haven't heard that beofre but the percentage could possibly be up by a few, and I have noticed a change. :/

rite now I'm working in my ruby for a red eyed Glalie and on the way i'll probably find more colored zubat and perhaps a spheal!

mr_pikachu
2nd March 2006, 02:15 PM
Well, there are no shinies in RBY, so you have a 0% chance of encountering a shiny there.

In GSC, the odds are 1 out of 8194 in random encounters, I believe. But it's easier with breeding if you are using a shiny Pokemon; the odds supposedly increase to 1 in 64! (Source: GameFAQs Guide (http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbcolor/file/pokemon_gs_na_e.txt))

From what I've heard, the odds haven't changed between GSC and RSEFrLg. However, third generation shinies don't have boosted stats like those in GSC, so there's no longer any benefit to catching them for a battling team.

Blademaster
4th March 2006, 09:00 PM
(Yes, I'm invading every aspect of this forum! Fanfiction, Games, General... all of them will soon be mine! MOOHOOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :evil:)

Anyway, dumb question from a dumb guy: Are there shinies of different colors?

I ask this because I caught a brown-orange Golbat in Pokemon Ruby, but I once saw a pink Golbat in a magazine.

...?

Mega Horny
5th March 2006, 08:54 AM
well, i've know their shinyness color to vary slightly between games, like exeggutor appears a pale yellow in gsc and in the advanced games hes mor of a reddish gold, and the magazine, did not lie, for I have a pink Crobat. I believe there is only one shiny of pokemon in each game, but Golbat does change. The advanced versions have pink ones, while the older versions have a greenish one. I dont know about brown though.

And.... i caught the Glalie, he was the first shiny to apear! Well, snorunt but anyway. Now i'm off to find a colored whismur!

rinku
5th March 2006, 07:29 PM
I believe there is only one shiny of pokemon in each game, but Golbat does change. The advanced versions have pink ones, while the older versions have a greenish one.

Zubat and Golbat are olive-greenish in the Advanced games, but the Crobat is pink (I was so disappointed!). This is basically in line with the fact that normal Zubat/Golbat are blue and normal Crobat are purple.

Mega Horny
5th March 2006, 08:41 PM
ah, that makes sense. How can you not like Pink? Its my third favorite color! You make me sick ;)

anyway, I have a Whismur to catch!

rinku
7th March 2006, 06:18 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong... I quite like pink, but was just disappointed it was no longer green :)

Mega Horny
7th March 2006, 06:22 PM
Oh, seeing as your the "Green Pokemon Master." Makes sense.

Whismur, for a pokemon with such a high appearance percentage is not coming up! XP

Phoenixsong
3rd April 2006, 09:20 PM
1 in 64 chance of breeding when using Shiny Pokemon? Dear God, I need to go beg my cousin to borrow his Shiny female Poochyena. I love Mightyena and I desperately need a beige one... arrrgh!

Anyway, I have some interesting Shiny Stories (and I don't count that stupid Gyarados):

Way, way old Silver file that I can't find on my Monster Brain anymore: A yellowish Meowth that I found about seven seconds after seeing Entei on that road between Ecruteak and Olivine, and then I screamed and scared the crap out of my brother. (now a yellowish Persian)

Some ancient Gold file that I am CERTAIN I deleted and am not THAT upset about: Golden Spearow, now a Golden Fearow that I ended up not liking so much. How I regret not liking it now.

Ruby: A horrid little green Oddish I found in the Safari Zone. Actually, I was playing with little light and wasn't paying attention. When I looked at it, I thought it'd come out of a Pokeball, but then reasoned that that was a highly stupid thing for someone in the Safari Zone to say. With the poor light and the fact that the shiny Oddish's green is almost indistinguishable from the normal bluish-black, I was doubtful, but I caught it anyway. Sure enough, when I checked the computer, she was Shiny. She's now an even uglier puke-green Vileplume currently rotting in my Colloseum, and she's also made me totally paranoid about future Safari Zone encounters. On the one hand, I'd like a shiny Kangaskhan or Scyther or Houndour or Heracross, but those are the things that run away and make me cry. On the other hand, junk like Oddish is much easier to catch, but I dislike most of the "easy-peasy to catch" Pokemon in the Safari Zone. Dang it.

My brother's Sapphire: I was helping him do something or other when I found a level 12 Tentacool with those green orbs and darker legs. I screamed, as usual, then asked him if he wanted it; I caught it for him, he had plans to use it, I had plans to steal it, and then his fairly new game stopped working completely and we had to exchange it. Again: Dang it!

My brother's LG: We were going to the dinner table when he walks up to me and says, "You know, it's weird. I just found a wild Marowak in Victory Road, but it kinda looked like it came out of a Pokeball." So I yell at him for letting it run away, he tells me he was most likely going to but hadn't yet because right as he found it was when we were called to eat. So I hold up dinner for about five minutes trying to catch the dang thing for him, get yelled at by my folks, and then beg him for it for three days before he finally trades it to me. My Sapphire now holds a chartreuse Marowak/False Swipe slave. Not dang it.

Emerald: Right outside the Safari Zone, I find another shiny Oddish. Why is it that you always find more than one of the Shiny Pokemon you don't like? I'm expecting to find a shiny Oddish in one or both of my Sapphires any day now. Anyway, I caught him and am now the disturbed owner of an electric purple male Bellossom. And while I think the color scheme is hideous and I just plain don't like the Oddish line as a whole, my ugly, effeminate friend Forrest the Electric Purple Bellossom has now become an interesting character in a fic I plan to write. Only sort of dang it. Another cousin also traded me a purple Sharpedo that his friend traded him... and quite soon, I hope to have a shiny Poochyena in my Emerald, too... mwahahaha!

Yeah, that's more or less it. Not counting that red Gyarados, I haven't seen as many shinies as other people, but I am at least glad that I haven't knocked any out or accidentally run away from any. Having said that, I'll probably find a shiny Absol tomorrow morning and OHKO it. I have bad karma that way. At least I'm not like my cousins and some of their friends, who have almost ALL reported seeing shiny Kecleons and not knowing they were special so either running or knocking them out.

Hmm... what else... there's a shiny Espeon in the FireRed/ LeafGreen Trainer Tower, too... I'm still paranoid every time I go into the Safari Zone, and I'm also paranoid that I'll find a shiny so early in the game that I won't have Pokeballs yet...

A few questions, though: How does breeding for shinies work? Does it have to be the mother that's shiny, the father, or does it matter? What if both parents are shiny, and/or they're both the same species? In other words, am I more likely to get (ANOTHER) shiny Oddish by breeding my Vileplume and Bellossom, or is that just as likely as breeding a random, non-shiny Ditto with my Sharpedo? Can I get a shiny Magikarp by breeding a female Gyarados with my purple Sharpedo?

Also, what are your chances of receiving a shiny, like getting a shiny Charmander from Oak or a shiny Eevee from Bill? Are they the same as for catching a shiny?

And shinymudkip, have you caught that Latias yet?

Shutting up now.

Drago
4th April 2006, 10:41 PM
Never been a big shiny collector, if I spot 'em I nab 'em, I'm not one to go scrounging about the grass for hours on end. So through my ventures I've got... Silver: Gyarados (Reddy), Crystal: Gyarados (Ydder), Igglybuff from the daycare egg (Wiggywiggy), Sapphire: Sandslash caught as a Sandshrew (Santana).

SupremeChampion
11th April 2006, 09:37 PM
[i]i have only been able to capture only shiney in my entire career of hunting for shinies, and that would be the traditional gyarados lol. other than that, i have been graced by no shinies.

~The Italian Stallion

+conspiracy+
23rd May 2006, 08:15 PM
well speaking of shinies I actually just caught a shiny tentacool this morning on my ruby

besides the shiny gyarados in GSC, thats the only shiny i've ever caught/encountered

no luck compared to some of you.. :(

Crazy Elf Boy
23rd May 2006, 11:18 PM
Well guys i have a shiny sharpedo (Red) on emerald and my friend has a blue flygon on his ruby version. And i am trying to get a black Rayquaza.

Phoenixsong
31st May 2006, 08:36 PM
Good luck with that Rayquaza... you're actualy more likely to get that than to find a random shiny in the wild, but you're going to have to start over A LOT. I restarted my new Sapphire about 500 times (not kidding, I lost count after 200 and went on for about twice as long after that) looking for a shiny Torchic... I ended up giving up and just repeatedly starting over for a female with the best stats I was willing to get.

However, after starting over my FireRed a week ago I caught a Caterpie, was on my way back through the forest to fight Gary and then a golden Caterpie jumps out at me. His stats are pretty bad but I love my buddy Monarch the pink/purple/green Butterfree... I don't care much for this color scheme, either, but whatever.

Crazy Elf Boy
2nd June 2006, 12:07 AM
Thanx Pheonixsong I will try to hard to get it because it looks so cool and the only other shiny pokemon i ever had (Besides the Red Gyarados hehehe) Is a red Donphan that i cought in MT Silver on my silver version. Well at least until my friend deleted my file :mad:

Elec Man EXE
7th June 2006, 01:49 PM
I haven't gotten a single shiny after over 1000 combined hours in Ruby/Sapphire/FireRed/Emerald. I had 3-4 in Silver, but thats moot since I'll never be able to them it in future games.

I finally just 'sharked myself a Shiny Swalot (Blue!). But its not the same :mad:

Heald
7th June 2006, 01:57 PM
I caught a shiny Poochyena in Emeraland that is now a Shiny Mightyena.

Phoenixsong
7th June 2006, 03:59 PM
Shiny Swellow is supposed to be green. What'd the Gameshark do?

Elec Man EXE
7th June 2006, 04:57 PM
Swalot =/= Swellow :wink:

Swalot (evolution of Gulpin) is blue in its shiny form

Phoenixsong
7th June 2006, 05:26 PM
Ack. Read it too fast. Ignore me, then.

Crazy Elf Boy
8th June 2006, 05:53 AM
Thats ok Elec Man EXE it took me a very long while to pick up my shiny sharpedo, trust me you just can't go out looking for shiny pokemon the come up at the time when you least expect it. Motto "Always be prepared"

Number1ChanseyFan
1st July 2006, 02:16 PM
[color=magenta]The shinies that I have are:

Sapphire: Grimer, Linoone, Swablu, Zigzagoon (This Zigzagoon was also from the promo.)
[color=magenta]Thursday night I added a shiny Whismur from Victory Road to my collection in my Emerald game. I wish that I would have brought my Cradily or something with Soundproof with me now that I think about it, because the Whismur at Victory Road know Roar. Thankfully, I had never used my Master Ball, so I used it on Whismur. I didn't want to risk throwing something else at it, fail to catch it, and then have it use Roar. I am just glad that I had the presence of mind to remember that Whismur know Roar. XD

Back in my Gold version, I had a shiny Abra get away from me... I felt lousy after that!! I also had an unfortunate encounter with a shiny Seviper in the Battle Pike @ Battle Frontier... Can't catch the wild Pokémon there... I stared at it for prolly 15 minutes wishing that there was someway I could catch it.

Foguet
2nd July 2006, 03:09 PM
About two weeks I got my first ever shiny Pokémon (apart from the red Gyarados, obviously). I was training my Medicham east of Dewford when I encountered a shiny Tentacool. I caught it but I won't use it for anything except contests.

lordsalamence
2nd July 2006, 06:34 PM
In my emerald version,i have a whole party full of shineys. they are:

Tyranitar

Salamence

Dragonite

Dragonite

Flygon

Altaria

Elec Man EXE
6th July 2006, 10:06 AM
[color=magenta]Thursday night I added a shiny Whismur from Victory Road to my collection in my Emerald game. I wish that I would have brought my Cradily or something with Soundproof with me now that I think about it, because the Whismur at Victory Road know Roar. Thankfully, I had never used my Master Ball, so I used it on Whismur. I didn't want to risk throwing something else at it, fail to catch it, and then have it use Roar. I am just glad that I had the presence of mind to remember that Whismur know Roar. XD

Back in my Gold version, I had a shiny Abra get away from me... I felt lousy after that!! I also had an unfortunate encounter with a shiny Seviper in the Battle Pike @ Battle Frontier... Can't catch the wild Pokémon there... I stared at it for prolly 15 minutes wishing that there was someway I could catch it.

I had something like that happen to me back in Crystal. Found a shiny Graveler, weakened it down, threw a ball and failed to catch it, and then it selfdestructed >.<

Number1ChanseyFan
11th July 2006, 07:23 PM
[color=magenta]Gold: Gyarados, Spearow, Fearow.
Emerald: Smeargle, Whismur.

[color=magenta]Yay!! Sunday night I caught a shiny Poochyena!! I guess I must be on a hot streak or something!! :)

Jeff
11th July 2006, 08:40 PM
I had something like that happen to me back in Crystal. Found a shiny Graveler, weakened it down, threw a ball and failed to catch it, and then it selfdestructed >.<

Heh, looks like I'm not the only one, and it was Crystal for me too, weird.

The only shinies I've ever owned were the Red Gyarados (Silver and Crystal) and a shiny Tyrouge that evolved into a Hitmonchan (Crystal). And yeah, Tyrouge came from the daycare.

I've never run into any shinys in the wild, except for the Graveler, but I have encountered some in Battle Tower in Ruby, but I guess that doesn't count.

Silencer
12th July 2006, 08:53 AM
Only shiny I ever got (besides the gyarados) was a bellsprout that I found on my Gold, close to the first cave you need to go through.

Number1ChanseyFan
14th July 2006, 09:41 AM
[color=magenta]I guess I must be on some kind of shiny hot-streak or something... Yesterday I found a shiny Spinda!! I hope this streak keeps on going.

~Updated Stats~

Emerald: Smeargle, Whismur, Poochyena, Spinda.

Jeff
14th July 2006, 05:41 PM
YEESSS!!!

It just happened, FireRed, Cerulean Cave. I just caught a shiny Machoke, my first "real" shiny :D.

Edit:
This is nuts, I've only ever run into one random shiny before (Graveler) and failed to catch it, and now I catch two in one week (just caught a Whismur!)

Blademaster
16th July 2006, 01:19 AM
How odd... maybe it's just a coincidence, but it seems like certain shiny Pokemon appear more often than others - namely, shiny Whismur seem like they show up more frequently...

lordsalamence
22nd July 2006, 01:03 PM
the shiney bagons are the rarest. got all my shineys to lvl.100!

Cool Trainer Jess
25th July 2006, 06:14 PM
My brother has one.He has a shiny makuhita and he evolved it.(Wish I had one)

Everoy
25th July 2006, 08:35 PM
None, but in Gold I saw a shiny Rhyhorn.

SeleucusII
26th July 2006, 03:07 PM

Gardevoir
groudon
raichu
rapidash
smeargle
sneasal
alakazam
bellossom
pelipper
beautifly
sandslash

Shadow Wolf
27th July 2006, 09:26 PM
I've had a few shinnies...

Gold-Rattata

Silver-Meowth, Celebi(this one was traded)

And now I have

Saphire- Lunatone

Emerald- none

On Emerald, I am still trying to get the Rayquaza in its shiny version.

Jeff
1st August 2006, 10:32 PM
This has been an excellent summer for me! I just caught a shiny Kadabra. So here's my list alltogether now, and keep in mind ALL were caught this summer.

Ruby:
Whismur

FireRed:
Machamp (caught as Machoke)
Kadabra

mvtm
3rd August 2006, 10:00 PM
I stopped playing pokemon years ago , but anyways just checked my catridge.

Non-Gamesharked:Cleffa,Elekid,Magby,Smoochum,Igglybuff ,Gyrados,Surfing Raichu.
Gamesharked:Articuno,Ditto,Sandshrew,Mew,Celebi.

I also got some pokemons that i value then ,than some shiny that are my Baton Passer Farfetch,Earquaking Gligar,Amnesia Psyduck which are gained through stadium 1 & 2.

I dont play anymore, i got them on my 80 hours crystal version,which was my last version.

frylock
15th August 2006, 11:45 AM
I have only caught one shiny-

GSC- ponyta, and I found it Right before I fought Red on my Monotype challenge, so I could've used it, but didn't... It was cool looking, but Rapidash shiny looked sort of goofy.

gameboyjunkie
16th August 2006, 07:16 PM
so far i've had these

Ruby: Roselia

Emerald: Smeargle, Mareep, and Pikachu

mvtm
23rd August 2006, 10:16 PM
Hey i manage to take some pictures of my favorite shinys..xD,enjoy!

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2208/dsc2965fs2.th.jpg (http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc2965fs2.jpg)

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4644/dsc2983pm0.th.jpg (http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc2983pm0.jpg)

Number1ChanseyFan
23rd September 2006, 11:30 AM
[color=magenta]Yay I found another shiny today!! This time I caught a green Marill.

~Updated Stats~

Emerald: Smeargle, Whismur, Poochyena, Spinda, and Marill.

DarkestLight
25th September 2006, 12:17 PM
o.o Crazy shinies!

Only got 2. The Red Gyara...and then I was surfing along, trying to hatch eggs in Emerald, when I came across this shiny Tentacool. I couldn't catch it because I had no pokeballs, and currently my Emerald is home to 14 boxes full of Scythers, Houndooms and Poochyenas {Been trying to find one with semi-good stats. Always end up with 31 speed, but like..2 for attack -.- and then its Careful. What?}

I don't like Tentacool, but i know its an elite competetive pokemon, so I kinda wanted it. I shrug it off, knowing at least I finally saw another shiny in the 8 years since I played Gold...has it been 8 years? {I got it first day it came out USA, but I can't remember what year that was...}

Anyway, I went back to my box, and began releasing MAJOR Scythers, Poochyenas and Houndooms in the wild...and when I was done, went back to hatching eggs {Cause tha guy in Mauville just LOVES giving me eggs}. I went back to Route 109-104 and began swimming, and BOOM, there he is again. A shrug, cause I'm out of Pokeballs now, and I sail away. Get to Dewford, pull out some balls, and I jump back in the water. BOOM. There again. I guess he just wanted to be caught cause I just threw a Pokeball, no sweat.

Then I see it has an IV stat of 9 in every stat. Yeah he's gonna rot there.

Sceptile_Master
29th September 2006, 07:52 PM
Ack I really need to find my gamecube memory card or else my shineys will be lost forever. I'm kind of annoyed that I've lost it. Lots of cool pokemon are on my pokemon box too.

BiGSh0t
12th October 2006, 03:08 PM
[color=magenta]Meh, just keep trying, I know it is frustrating, but one will turn up eventually!!

The shinies that I have are:

Any chance you'd be willing to trade that Swablu for a crobat? (my only shiny :'()

BiGSh0t
12th October 2006, 03:24 PM
Oh, to the OP.

On silver version, got a rattata and several charmanders in an extensive breeding program.

On my Ruby version, only a zubat (now crobat so far), level 44ish for awhile now, just not a big crobat fan, and it's pink, lol.

Fire red, only started this cartridge yesterday, and nothing yet.

1 in 64 chance of breeding when using Shiny Pokemon? Dear God, I need to go beg my cousin to borrow his Shiny female Poochyena. I love Mightyena and I desperately need a beige one... arrrgh!

Yes, it was EASY to get shinies through breeding in metallics, but in advanced generation, that's no longer the case unfortunately :( those beige mightyena are gorgeous, I agree.

A few questions, though: How does breeding for shinies work? Does it have to be the mother that's shiny, the father, or does it matter? What if both parents are shiny, and/or they're both the same species? In other words, am I more likely to get (ANOTHER) shiny Oddish by breeding my Vileplume and Bellossom, or is that just as likely as breeding a random, non-shiny Ditto with my Sharpedo? Can I get a shiny Magikarp by breeding a female Gyarados with my purple Sharpedo?

It doesn't matter if the mother or father is shiny, but obviously, to get different species, your shiny needs to be male. 2 shiny's cant breed together, at least not in the metallic versions, as 2 pokemon with identical IV's (determining factor of shiny in these versions) can never breed together.

As far as advanced gen, I don't know if they can breed together or not, but I think it wouldn't make a difference anyways, and getting a shiny through breeding on these versions is a long shot.

Sorry for the late response. Also would like to add I dont really thing sharking for shinies is anything to brag about, no work involved in that!

Elekidkid
12th October 2006, 03:39 PM
Of the ten years I've been playing Pokemon, I have found a total of 0 shineys. Amazing luck, eh?

Blademaster
12th October 2006, 04:04 PM
Does that include the GSC Red Gyarados?

rinku
12th October 2006, 06:01 PM
Took advantage of the Emerald clone glitch and traded for another 4 shinies last month:

Sandshrew, Bellossom, Venonat & Jumpluff

Also screwed up and missed a shiny Spearow on Leaf Green - missed the flash and just as I was knocking it out thought "hey, are Spearow wingls normally that colour?". Checked the 'dex and the answer was "no". Grr.

So that brings me to 4 caught myself (3 on Sapphire, 1 on Emerald), one from sending my cart off to get the berry bug fixed, 4 trades and two that got away. Plus about 4 seen in Trainer Tower. Roughly speaking, I would have seen one per 300 hours of play, I estimate (hard to say since my Sapphire time is maxed out at 999.59 :) )

Sceptile_Master
15th October 2006, 06:41 AM
I just found my gamecube memory card again. Well my brother did. Wh00t. My shiny blastoise and tentacruel are saved. My friend has a shiny charizard which me and him kept restarting until we found it (i found both my shineys just going through the game). Took ageeeeeeeeees.

Crystalmaster Mike
15th October 2006, 01:58 PM
Well, technically, I only have 1 at the moment: a Shiny Sandshrew from my Ruby copy (2 years of non-resetment and counting!), which I ran into east of Fallarbor. I also had a Shiny Roselia, which I traded with my brother, since he didn't have any.

And then there's the possibility I have some Shiny Pokémon on my Silver and Red copies, but I haven't played them in ages... (I wanted to get as many Stage 1 / Baby Pokémon ready to trade into a new game before I restarted, but since the only other Metal Generation game we have at home is Crystal, that plan was never put in motion - trading all those Pokémon would have required a bunch of Junk Pokémon, and a lot of semi-expensive Balls to catch them with).
I know I had a few (Box Glitch-multiplied) Red Gyarados', and once in a previous saved file I had caught a Shiny Jynx in the Ice Cave. I also lost a Shiny Graveler on Victory Road to a Self-Destruct or an Explosion, and that's about it...

Sceptile_Master
8th November 2006, 06:48 PM
Hmm a shiny exeggcute in the safari zone ran from me a week or two ago. Damn that annoyed me.

Drago
20th December 2006, 07:04 PM
Funny, the exact same thing happened to my sister a week ago. Shiny Exeggcute, Safari Zone, gone.

Anyway, this topic hasn't had a whole lot of livelihood, but I thought I'd update my shiny status, mostly because I feel the need to brag and dance a merry jig.
I now have a shiny Charizard, Dragonite, Rayquaza and Mew. Oh hell yeah.

Number1ChanseyFan
21st December 2006, 11:01 AM
Meh, I haven't found any shinies for awhile, right now I am looking on Mt. Pyre, because I hope to get a shiny Vulpix. I did have a pretty rare event happen today though... I had a perfect match at the Lotto drawing at Lilycove City, so I won a Master Ball, which will come in handy just in case I even encounter a shiny that can escape/self-destruct or something!!

nick
25th December 2006, 05:38 AM
I bought pokemon fire red a couple months ago and caught a shiny caterpie that EVOLVED INTO butterfree does this count

Phoenixsong
27th December 2006, 12:27 AM
Yeah, that counts. I found a shiny Caterpie in my FireRed, and it's now a Butterfree, too. Whoo.

Andrew
10th January 2007, 06:27 PM
I had a Shiny Tangela and a Shiny Magmar... it was pink and crap....

pokemasterfrank
18th January 2007, 02:40 AM
Well, there are no shinies in RBY, so you have a 0% chance of encountering a shiny there.

Arguably, you could catch one in RBY, trade it to GS, and have it have the correct values to be shiny :P

Dr.Octillery
6th February 2007, 02:01 PM
I've only ever encountered one shiny besides shiny gyrados: a shiny crabby in Gold version. That was when I was a lot younger, and now for some reason the crabby is gone. I must have released it thinking it was a glitch or something

Hinoryu
17th February 2007, 10:35 PM
I think I'm the unluckiest gamer ever in this respect. I have never once even encountered a shiny pokemon outside of Red Gyarados.

Ho-oh2001
17th February 2007, 11:11 PM
You're not alone. I've never seen one either

EDIT: And now that I've read the rest of this topic, it seems there are plenty of us. Perhaps we should form a group? ;)

Hinoryu
17th February 2007, 11:17 PM
You're not alone. I've never seen one either

EDIT: And now that I've read the rest of this topic, it seems there are plenty of us. Perhaps we should form a group? ;)

Quite. "Shiny-avoided Anonymous"?

"Hi, my name's Hinoryu, and shinies avoid me..." "Hi Hinoryu!"