PDA

View Full Version : [GSC] Max stats

SilverMaster
27th January 2006, 03:58 PM
I should know this, but i don't. Since there's no Ev's, IV's in gsc, is there any difference in max stats for same species pokemon.

And, i'm trying to modify some of the moves i have 2 types of in my pokemon, but there's no decent moves of the types i want.Such as:

Raikou:lv100
Thunder
Zap cannon
Crunch
Strength

These are really crap moves for a raikou, but i trained it when i was alot younger. I need to change them but have limited moves. (Saying that, i can get all tm's from G/S or R/b)

mr_pikachu
27th January 2006, 09:17 PM
Well, first of all, there actually are DVs in GSC, which are sort of like the IVs of today. (There are no EVs, however.) The IVs determine the maximum possible stats for any particular Pokemon. That's how two Pokemon of the same species can have different maximum stats in GSC, just as they could in RBY.

For your Raikou, you definitely need to narrow it down to one Electric attack, and it should be one with at least decent accuracy. Zap Cannon, in my opinion, is not a good idea. Like Dynamicpunch, the effect is simply too little compensation for the attack only working half the time in optimum conditions. Imagine trying to hit an opponent who had used Double Team/Minimize several times. Good luck with that one.

If you have access to Crystal, the Crystal move tutor can teach Thunderbolt. That's an idea, at least. You should probably go with either Thunder or Thunderbolt, not both. I'd suggest the latter, as Thunder can be a little inaccurate for tournament battles. However, an alternative (which others in the forum may think ludicrous, but I'll say it anyway) would be to replace Zap Cannon with Rain Dance and leave Thunder as it is. You can Rain Dance, and then as long as you have the HP to survive, you can use Thunder with 100% accuracy for five turns. That's a strategic option, although it might not be viable, since Raikou's Defense isn't all that great. Other, more experienced strategists may be of more help with that idea.

I think Crunch is fine. As for Strength, it's not great, but you no longer have the opportunity to get any level up moves, so you don't have too many options for a Normal-type replacement. You could try Return if you wanted (increase its happiness like crazy first, though!), or you could go in a completely different direction with something like Toxic or the ever-annoying Double Team. You've got some options there, so consider them carefully.

I hope that helps.

EDIT: Corrected an error regarding IVs and DVs.

SilverMaster
28th January 2006, 02:57 AM
I don't have acess to crystal, and this is the problem. The best moves are from the crystal tutors. I might as well have frustration rather than return, pokemon with the thumbnail picture raikou has (looks a bit like evee) don't generally get, they're always shaking their heads. And i'll probably keep thunder cause i've already got a raindance/ thunder pokemon on my team. They are often used together to setup eachother.

mr_pikachu
28th January 2006, 06:25 PM
Well, okay then. It's still a little risky, especially if you don't want to bring Raikou in to take advantage of the setup (if, for instance, your opponent has something with Earthquake out). But I can see it working, and without the Crystal tutors, you don't have much of a choice unless you want to abandon Electric attacks entirely. And you don't want to do that. But drop Zap Cannon. Maybe something like DT or Toxic would be good, like I mentioned before. Even Psych Up or Curse might be worthwhile. It's your call there.

And I corrected a little error in my previous post about IVs, if you're interested. Just wanted to let you know.

Anyway, good luck in building a solid moveset, and have fun with your team!

Poryhedron
29th January 2006, 02:07 PM
There's one other thing to note here. Not only are there DVs that work like IVs, there's also something in RBYGSC that works like EVs. It's called Stat EXP. The biggest differences between Stat EXP and EVs are that:

1) Every opponent gives Stat EXP in every stat, so while fighting Slowpoke will give a lot less Speed EXP than fighting Voltorb, your Speed EXP will eventually improve regardless; and

2) It's possible to max out Stat EXP for all stats at once, unlike EVs that have a total cap small enough so that you can't max out more than two.

Taken together, these mean that you really don't have to agonize over how you're handling your Stat EXP. Just beat up as many opponents as possible and you'll do fine.

SupremeChampion
30th January 2006, 07:53 AM
[i]good luck trying to run that thunder combo... i would personally try to get thunderbolt if the opportunity every arose, just 'cus i'm not a fan of thunder, unless you have raindance on the same pokémon, and even that can be suspect. but, good luck with your moveset building again, and let us know what you decide to settle on.

~The Italian Stallion