PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS Lite revealed: Now with 100% less burned-out pixels!

Razola
27th January 2006, 05:59 PM
Source (http://ds.ign.com/articles/683/683684p1.html)

http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/683/683684/redesigned-nintendo-ds-revealed-20060126000945978.jpg

Andrew
27th January 2006, 06:55 PM
How the fuck does it differ from the DS atm? Just slimmer?

Arnen
27th January 2006, 07:28 PM
Thank GOD they finally got rid of the stupid power button above the D-pad! >< .... That's all I can say.

PNT510
27th January 2006, 07:38 PM
How the **** does it differ from the DS atm? Just slimmer?

[b]Different color, slightly different button placement, and now 4 settings for the backlighting.

The_Missing_Link
27th January 2006, 08:04 PM
Does the DS/DS Lite have a headphone jack? I was rather pissed to see my GBA SP didn't have one and damn it if the DS doesn't have one

Arnen
27th January 2006, 08:06 PM
My DS has a headphone jack, so I'm assuming the new one will too.

Razola
27th January 2006, 11:07 PM
My DS has a headphone jack, so I'm assuming the new one will too.
Old GBA had a headphone jack, but the SP required a special doodad for it.

The screen is brighter, there's a more logical mic placement, and it just looks better.

It was obvious that the DS was rushed to get here in Christmas 2004 so it could have the holidays to itself before the PSP. A pitiful launch lineup and the DS looked very crappy at E3 2004.

Crazy
28th January 2006, 06:09 AM
That earns a big WTF? for Nintendo. Seriously, did they really need to release a new design? Damn. :confused:

Razola
29th January 2006, 02:08 AM
That earns a big WTF? for Nintendo. Seriously, did they really need to release a new design? Damn. :confused:
Yeah, what other company puts out new iterations of their popular devices?

Hey, I think my iPod Supernanoshuffle is finished recharging!

Crazy
29th January 2006, 08:15 AM
I know why they did it, but that doesn't make it any less stupid. I hope no one who already owns a DS shells out 150 bucks for a barely modified version.

PNT510
30th January 2006, 11:40 AM
[b]How is it stupid in the least? A company releases a newer model of a popular product so it will sell even more. Sounds like a smart bussiness decision to me.

Crazy
30th January 2006, 05:18 PM
It isn't stupid, but it just seems so unnecessary.

PNT510
30th January 2006, 07:15 PM
[b]Nintendo is a company that's trying to make money, I don't see how releasing something that will make them money is unnecessary for a bussiness standpoint. And from a consumer stand point it isn't neccessary, but it is nice for people who don't already have a DS to be able to choose between the two types of models.

Razola
1st February 2006, 02:41 AM
They are offering a new version to increase interest in an aging product. If you are content with your DS, that's perfectly fine. Some of us (like me), are more than happy to spend another 100 or so bucks for it.

PNT510
4th March 2006, 02:04 AM
[b]This link here has a side by side comparison of the two systems. Kinda makes me want the DS Lite now.

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2006/03/02/ultimate-comparison-pics/

Dark Dragonite
30th March 2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks, you saved me from wasting $150, I was going to buy the "poke park" edition of DS, but like with the SP, I'll wait for the brighter version...as long as it hits before Pearl and diamond

Drago
1st April 2006, 08:44 PM
Meh, I won't fork out the moolah for the DS lite. I don't have the funds anymore to buy an upgraded version of something I already have. Either way, I'm just genuinely pleased with my DS as is. If others want a sleeker version with adjustable light, good on them. The original works fine for me.
Main point of interest for me is the repositioned mic.

Dark Dragonite
18th April 2006, 06:36 PM
does anyone have any idea when this will be out in the USA?
You get nothing from Nintendo, and they're about to lose out on me buying one at all, along with any GBA games I may have wanted at one time.

Ghost
18th April 2006, 07:34 PM
does anyone have any idea when this will be out in the USA?
You get nothing from Nintendo, and they're about to lose out on me buying one at all, along with any GBA games I may have wanted at one time.

I heard May/June last from my "inside sources" =D

PNT510
18th April 2006, 08:36 PM
[b]Latest I have heard is that the USA launch was delayed due to overwhelming demand for the system in Japan. They might end up annoucing a release date at E3 next month.

Ultimate Charizard
22nd April 2006, 11:13 PM
Hang on, people are complaining that its a pointless rerelease and a company shouldnt do it?

Right....
I-Pod nano
PS2 Slimline
X-Box Crystal edition
...im gonna stop there but its a commn practice. The last of which didnt even have any extra features, just a clear casing.

I was going to wait for the Lite version myself but since i got a big wage this month i got myself the DS 'classic'. Not that many games im eager to get just yet (got Nintendogs, Worms and Bomberman) but with luck the schedule should pick up.

Dark Dragonite
23rd April 2006, 05:03 PM
I decided to say screw it, and go for walmart's bundle, for $150, I get a DS(limited pokepark edition), accessory pack, and a game of my choice, I'm going for Castlevania(the new one Soma=Alucard), although Mario 64 with Yoshi is tempting, lol...not a bad deal IMO, only online.

Razola
23rd April 2006, 10:17 PM
Chances are they'll release it alongside the new Mario game. It's not like the portables have required a lot to bring to other regions.

PNT510
4th May 2006, 02:28 PM
[b]The USA release date was announced on gamespot.com earlier today. It's coming out June 11th and it'll be $130.

homeofmew
1st June 2006, 10:38 AM
looks a lot like a regualr ds except the power button moved, that is good.

Ghost
2nd June 2006, 05:08 AM
Just a question....

Seeing as the DS is 130$, and the DS Lite is 130$, does that mean I can trade in my old DS ( I have a warranty on it) for a DS lite seeing as they are the same price?

Hatake Kakashi
4th June 2006, 12:02 AM
Not unless your DS is still under warrantee and can be turned in for a DS Lite.

Razola
4th June 2006, 06:13 AM
Several stores will likely be offering to take your old DS for a Lite. You will not get the Lite free, but they will likely shave off a decent amount from the price tag if your DS wasn't in horrible condition.

EDIT: Gamestop is offering $70 instead of the normal $50 if you trade in your DS to pay for a Lite. So....60 bucks for a DS Lite. Very good.

D!
4th June 2006, 06:58 PM
Old GBA had a headphone jack, but the SP required a special doodad for it.

The screen is brighter, there's a more logical mic placement, and it just looks better.

It was obvious that the DS was rushed to get here in Christmas 2004 so it could have the holidays to itself before the PSP. A pitiful launch lineup and the DS looked very crappy at E3 2004.

Yea, I've always thought my DS looked crap..
That's why I covered it with stickers..
The design is just.. too plain..

The DSLite seems pretty cool..
I recently purchased a second hand GBASP because it was so cheap, and I just can't seem to play my DS anymore because of it's extreme size compared to the SP..

And my DS doesn't have any noticeable burnt out pixels, but then again I haven't studied my screen enough to notice..

EB has the crappiest deal.. (Here in Australia)
Trade in your NDS and 2 games, and you only have to pay $90 for the NDS..
blargh!

Also, the plastic the NDS is made out of seems less strong than the GBASP..
Anybody noticed that, or is my crazy imagination getting the best of me, again?

en0miz
7th June 2006, 04:26 PM
EDIT: Gamestop is offering $70 instead of the normal $50 if you trade in your DS to pay for a Lite. So....60 bucks for a DS Lite. Very good.

Hmm.. not bad. I got the red 'Mario Kart' DS for Christmas, but of course the new DS Lite is 10 times sexier. :P Maybe I'll do this trade-in when I get paid.

phaedrus
9th June 2006, 10:05 PM
does EB Games = Gamestop? they seem to share a Store Locator search engine...

PNT510
9th June 2006, 11:19 PM
[b]Yeah, Gamestop bought EB last year and they merged into one.

phaedrus
11th June 2006, 05:01 PM
apparently there's such high demand for this that they're running really short and won't get more for 3 weeks. damnit.