PDA

View Full Version : To Game Cube owners

charmander17
28th January 2006, 02:06 PM
I've got about $40 and I'm going to a game shop tonight, any good games for Pokemon worth getting out there?

The Blue Avenger
28th January 2006, 02:19 PM
Well, as far as GameCube goes, there are only three - Colosseum, Channel, and XD. Out of those three, XD is the best, hands down.

Knight of Time
28th January 2006, 02:39 PM
Yeah, but besides XD, you should also get Colosseum.

I mean, with that game, there are some Pokemon you'll only find there that aren't in any of the other games (including XD). Say you wanted all 3 Johto starters, and you got one from Emerald (assuming you own that game right?). You'd need Colosseum to get the other two. It's the same as choosing a legendary beast to catch in FR/LG. In each of those two games, you can get a beast that varies on who your starter is (Bulbasaur- Entei, Charmander- Suicune, and Squirtle- Raikou), but you need Colosseum to get all 3 if you don't want to risk trading and erasing just to get another one of the legendary beasts.

Also, in both Colosseum and XD, there's a legendary bird you can only get in those two versions if you don't have a cheating device like GameShark or Action Replay. In Colosseum, you can get Ho-oh, and in XD, you can get Lugia.

Hope that helps you.

Poryhedron
29th January 2006, 02:17 PM
Well, as far as GameCube goes, there are only three - Colosseum, Channel, and XD. Out of those three, XD is the best, hands down.

Is XD a lot better than Colloseum? Colloseum's taken some real knocks for things like the utter lack of, not just wild pokémon, but even travel between cities (since travel is entirely handled in cut scenes.) People also seemed to disapprove of how every. single. battle. was a double battle. Is XD any more innovative in these regards? I've been putting off buying it until I find out whether it's just more of the same.

mr_pikachu
29th January 2006, 02:22 PM
I haven't played XD myself, but I've heard that it did at least try to correct some of these problems. For instance, I believe that there are plenty of single battles, and I think you can encounter wild Pokemon as well. Not sure about the travel issues, though, and I can't be certain to what extent they made the previous changes. But I hope that at least give you a little bit of an idea.

As for me, I'm waiting on buying XD until the price drops from $50. ^_^;;;

rinku
29th January 2006, 08:27 PM
Despite all the flack it's gotten, I quite enjoyed Colosseum. Being bundled with a memory card did a lot to make it a reasonably priced purchase. XD does *not* come with one, so I'm very reluctant to go there, especially at full price. I'll likely pick it up second hand, at some vague point in the future. I do need either it or Fire Red to finish up my National 'dex, and I don't *really* want to bother with Fire Red - apart from 10 pokémon I can't get through my other games, FR is exactly the same as LG.

Channel is really just a distraction for younger users. Best played as a rental. The PAL release does have Jirachi on it, which is an incentive of sorts for European and Australian players...

The Blue Avenger
30th January 2006, 05:42 AM
Is XD a lot better than Colloseum? Colloseum's taken some real knocks for things like the utter lack of, not just wild pokémon, but even travel between cities (since travel is entirely handled in cut scenes.) People also seemed to disapprove of how every. single. battle. was a double battle. Is XD any more innovative in these regards? I've been putting off buying it until I find out whether it's just more of the same.

The travel is still handled in cut scenes, but the number of Pokemon you can get has almost doubled (not including the wild Pokemon). There are single battles, there are more shadow attacks (making Shadow Pokemon more useful), and the game as a whole is a lot longer and a lot more enjoyable.

Also, you don't have anyone following you around, which is a plus.

ZeldaFan20
5th February 2006, 10:21 AM
I have both Collosseum and DX, and I enjoy playing them both...especially during school breaks. There are other CG games in my inventory that I enjoy too: Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, OOT Master Quest, Luigi's Mansion, etc. I plan on getting Twilight Princess when it comes out.

Getting back to DX, I think it's cool that you can catch wild Pokémon in this game. The only downside is that there is a limited # of species in the wild. Oh well, at least you can also get Lugia in this game (I managed to get Ho-oh in Colloseum...and it wasn't easy).

Razola
18th February 2006, 06:26 AM
Colosseum and XD are both rentals, maybe purchases if you have to have the handful of pokemon for this generation that only they can offer.

If you ever see a copy of Channel: burn it.