PDA

View Full Version : 21st Birthday info...

Andrew
6th February 2006, 11:39 PM
Look, basically, my mum asked me to compile info and prices at places of gifts I want for my 21st she can give to my family...

Two of those are an IPod and a Digital Camera. However, without unlimited net time to research.... I'm asking my TPM Friends.

I decided an Ipod 30Gb would suffice... but on the Aussie Ipod site, there's no info about this Ipod Video I hear about... What are the drawbacks and crappy things to Ipods? And potential AU prices?

Also, what's a good Digital Camera for around 200-300 AU dollars... I want something with good internal mem so I can take a ton of photos and be a camwhore.... drawbacks ect please.

Alucard
7th February 2006, 11:51 AM
A standard digital camera or a digital SLR? The best camera's that I've used are Cannon's & Nikkon's, but for the HP Photosmarts 4.0mp+ are alright for cam whoring.

The iPod video is the iPod. People whine and bitch too much about iPods. Petty things like the screen scratching (how scratching the screen is an iPod fault I don't know) are commong complaints. The most common is the battery dies after a year or so, but in my personal experience it's b/s. Mine lasted around 2/2½ years before it started to fail. But if it does fail it's not hard to open up and solder a new one in. I've repaired a few. Ebay/Google has everything you need if that problem occures.

homeofmew
8th February 2006, 12:19 PM
if you dont have a laptop ask for that thats what i got for 21 this week and i dont turn 21 untill august.

Andrew
8th February 2006, 08:52 PM
Sweety, I know my parents/family don't love me enough to buy me a new computer and they don't have a disposable 2500 dollars to spend on me. So stop making crazy things up, K!

Cannon I've heard are good thanks, also with the Ipod battery dying, can't I just buy a new battery?

mr_pikachu
8th February 2006, 10:49 PM
Cannon I've heard are good thanks, also with the Ipod battery dying, can't I just buy a new battery?

True, but you can't simply buy a new battery and leave it. There's a whole installation procedure to actually get the battery into the iPod. If you can do it, great; if not, it can be a pain in the ***.

Alucard
9th February 2006, 09:23 AM
Sweety, I know my parents/family don't love me enough to buy me a new computer and they don't have a disposable 2500 dollars to spend on me. So stop making crazy things up, K!

Canon's can be a little pricey though, they can start at around $30 and go up to $6000+. I'm not sure what the $1000 or less range are like since I've only ever had $1000+ EOS's for college photography, but they're well worth it, so I should imagine the cheaper one's keep that high quality.

About the iPod battey, to quote myself from a thread in misc:

Ebay

Ipod 4th generation replacement battery with tools 800m

Buy It Now: price: £2.99

Time left: 1 hour 8 mins
3-day listing, Ends 08-Feb-06 11:33:00 GMT
Start time: 05-Feb-06 11:33:00 GMT
Item location: Hong Kong, none
Hong Kong

Post to: Worldwide
Postage costs: £4.99 -- Other Courier

Total price = £7.98 = $13.92

Dunno what that is in AU dollers, but I shouldn't think it to be expensive. I think that also includes instructions on how to open and fit the battery aswell, but don't quote me on that.

Andrew
9th February 2006, 06:25 PM
And changing the battery voids the warranty? Can I change it legally and keep my warranty?

mr_pikachu
9th February 2006, 09:23 PM
Well, you can send it in to Apple with $59 plus S & H, and they'll replace your battery. ...Well, actually, they'll send you an equivalent model with the new battery inside. This service is currently only available for the U.S., Canada, and - lucky you - Australia. More info can be found here (http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/).

You could also try something like an external iPod battery (http://www.batterytech.com/ipod_info/iPod_info.htm) if you wanted, although they usually don't run cheap. But they can be more convenient once you get used to them.

Alucard
10th February 2006, 03:55 AM
And changing the battery voids the warranty? Can I change it legally and keep my warranty?

Usually when you open anything you buy it voids the warranty, but the warranty will have long run out by the time the battery dies. I think it's only a standard 12 month Apple warranty, and your battrey will be fine for that amount of time.