PDA

View Full Version : Philips vs Creative

Metallixs Girl
8th February 2006, 01:14 PM
I'm seariously considering switching MP3 Players. Right now, I have a 2GB white Philips GoGear I got a year ago. Now, I don't need millions of songs, as a matter of fact, I've only ever filled a 3rd of my 2GB, so the most I'd need is 5GB. I kind of hate my Philips. It started out great, and it had its own little program, and it was all good. Then, after awhile, they desided to merge the software with Musicmatch Jukebox which I already hated... This was tolerable, even though they completely stripped it of its good features and basically all you can do now is just add it and put it into playlists... (I tried to reinstall the other program from the CD but it no longer worked with the MP3 Player's new firmware so I restored the factory settings and it STILL doesn't work) And finally, now, the device manager inside MMJB crashes every time I try to load a song, so now my MP3 player is virtually usless (I did try loading it with WMP but it treats it like a drive and none of the music shows up in the player)

Summary:
Philips GoGear
-No Player Features
-No color choices
-Started with great software, reverted to crap software
-All Software no longer functioning
-6 hour batter life
-The only good thing, the player only locked up once

Conclusion
Philips are idiots in the MP3 department

Now, Creative has a fantastic reputation when it comes to sound so I can expect great audio quality from them. Their players come in all different colors and they all have voice recording, and they have their own software and will probably never use MMJB. I really want the 5GB purple Neeon. I'd like some feedback from all Zen users on their software quality, and player behavior, features, etc please? :)

nightcrow
8th February 2006, 04:28 PM
not really specific to what info you want, but i say get an ipod shuffle. seriously within the year i've had mine, it's been through so much! like the other day, i found it lovingly placed in my cat's full water dish, completely submersed...and it still works perfectly. it's been thrown onto concrete, stepped on, left in the sun, you name it. i love my little ipod <3 ;) *end shameless plug*

Alucard
8th February 2006, 06:27 PM
iPod have just brought out a 1Gb iPod nano that plays video + music. They've also cut the prices on... I think it's the shuffle, but I could be wrong...

If you're going to splash out on an mp3 player I'm going to suggest the new Zen. I have no idea what sizes it comes in or the price, but it has more features and a sharper screen. It's been getting an ass load of attention by pretty much everybody in the tech world and it's being called an iPod killer. (nothing will be an iPod killer untill somebody releases something similar to iTunes)

I'd buy a Shuffle if it came in black, but it doesn't so booerns. But yeah, Shuffle/Nano is probably the best if you don't have much music and not planning to get much music. Or you could check out the new Zen, which comes in a delightful vomit green.

PNT510
9th February 2006, 12:19 AM
[b]Apple does have a new 1 gig nano, and the price on the shuffle has been cut, but the nano doesn't play video. Although from the sounds of it Metallixs Girl probably wouldn't need to or want to play videos on it anyways.

Alucard
9th February 2006, 05:56 AM
[b]Apple does have a new 1 gig nano, and the price on the shuffle has been cut, but the nano doesn't play video. Although from the sounds of it Metallixs Girl probably wouldn't need to or want to play videos on it anyways.

My mistake. Misread the artical when I scanned over it.

Metallixs Girl
9th February 2006, 10:45 AM
Nah I don't really need video or even pictures really (It would be inpossible for a 1GB to play video O_O) I just want pretty design, good features, great sound, and decent software.

Alucard
9th February 2006, 11:12 AM
Nah I don't really need video or even pictures really (It would be inpossible for a 1GB to play video O_O) I just want pretty design, good features, great sound, and decent software.

Nay, there's 256mb PVP's out on the market. There may be some 128's around, but I didn't see it when I was last at my tech show. I only saw 256's & 512's in a huge variety of colors and sizes.&#160; I might add all of them where smaller then an iPod nano.

EDIT: In my experiences Creative usually blow big baby chunks for decent software and customer support. They're usually fantastic for good features, pretty design and perfect sound though. The Zen micro is such a cute little thing and it's little blue glow just adds to how adorable it looks.

But anyway, if you want a singing dancing Mp3 player then I'd opt for the Zen Vision M, but if you just want something small and sleek then there's the iPod Nano/Shuffle, or if you want to be different and stand out from the crowd then there's the Zen Micro, which comes in all the colors of the rainbow and apparently has nice features. There's also then Zen nano but I have no idea what it's like, how it's reviewed or if it's value for money. You'd have to look that one up.

RedStarWarrior
9th February 2006, 01:58 PM
I prefer Creative Labs products over iPods. The Creative Labs stuff is cheaper and more durable (based on personal experience). If you only want a 1g MP3 player that is small, then you might want to look into mobiBLU's DAH-1500i. It is a 1 inch cube with a textual display, something the iPod shuffle does not have. You can find the DAH-1500i here: http://www.mobibluamerica.com/dah1500.html . I have one of these and it is pretty neat. I also have a Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra. It has been rather dependable and has great sound. For what you want, the Zen Neeon is probably more to your liking as it comes in many colors and is rather small.

Metallixs Girl
9th February 2006, 02:39 PM
BTW, I have 2GB already so I'm not getting less than that, but the most I'd need is 5 or 6GB. If those pretty light-colored pink, green, and blue iPods came in lavender I'd get one (skins are out of the question)

Alucard
9th February 2006, 02:54 PM
BTW, I have 2GB already so I'm not getting less than that, but the most I'd need is 5 or 6GB. If those pretty light-colored pink, green, and blue iPods came in lavender I'd get one (skins are out of the question)

4/5/6Gb available for the Zen Micro. + 10 colors (http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zenmicro/)

1/2/5/6Gb available for the Zen Neeon. + removable back plates (http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zenneeon/)

You can probably read up on them on the actuall site or do a fast search on cnet/goog.

Micro was editors choice for a few sites/magazines/etc. I've never used or read reviews on the Neeon so I don't know much about it. Raven could probably give you a lot about it though.

Metallixs Girl
15th February 2006, 01:49 PM
I just went to Walmart and they didn't have any Micros or Neeons or iRivers (had a few iPods though) and the only Creative they did have was a 20GB Zen Touch so I went ahead and got it. Guess I won't be needing another one for about 10 years, :lol:. O_O My sister, on the other hand, filled 20 of her 30 Gig drive up with music!