Docile
Serious
Timid
Naughty
Rash

Those are all I have.

Nevermore
12th March 2003, 01:44 PM
Our very own Pokemasters.net has a really useful table to find out the name of each personality and what it does:

http://www.pokemasters.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=218&page=1

Dave
12th March 2003, 02:02 PM
Bit of a flaw there - those aren't the US names. I can work out a few:

Hardy = Tenacious
Docile = Docile
Naughty = Naughty
Timid = Shy
Jolly = Cheerful
Modest = Humble

But I can't work out the rest.

digidested2000
12th March 2003, 02:59 PM
what good r personalities?

Nevermore
12th March 2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Bit of a flaw there - those aren't the US names. I can work out a few:

They're not the same? Damn, you'd think they'd keep the same translations for something so simple.

what good r personalities?

Personalities raise one stat (Speed, Special Attack, Special Defense or Attack) and lower another at the same time. If you want a Pokemon which has good Speed for its species, but you don't care about Attack, then you would choose a personality which has raised Speed and lowered Attack. Some personalities are neutral and don't have any effect.

digidested2000
12th March 2003, 03:08 PM
that's cool8)

rinku
12th March 2003, 06:20 PM
This is provisional, but I'm pretty sure the new names match up to:

Hardy: +Attack, -Attack (no net modifier)
Lonely: +Attack, -Defense
Brave: +Attack, -Speed
Adamant: +Attack, -Special Attack
Naughty: +Attack, -Special Defense

Bold: +Defense, -Attack
Docile: +Defense, -Defense (no net modifier)
Relaxed: +Defense, -Speed
Impish: +Defense, -Special Attack
Lax: +Defense -Special Defense

Timid: +Speed, -Attack
Hasty: +Speed, -Defense
Serious: +Speed, -Speed (no net modifier)
Jolly: +Speed, -Special Attack
Naive: +Speed, -Special Defense

Modest: +Special Attack, -Attack
Mild: +Special Attack, -Defense
Quiet: +Special Attack, -Speed
Bashful: +Special Attack, -Special Attack (no net modifier)
Rash: +Special Attack, -Special Defense

Calm: +Special Defense, -Attack
Gentle: +Special Defense, -Defense
Sassy: +Special Defense, -Speed
Careful: +Special Defense, -Special Attack
Quirky: +Special Defense, -Special Defense

Please note that some translations had some of the now official terms assigned to personalities that were different. Calm, Mild and Docile all pretty much mean the same thing, and "naughty" could have applied to several of the original Japanese terms (I had it for what is now Impish, for example). Sassy and Bold are another similar pair.

I'm fairly sure of the above table, worked out from the raw lists that were posted a few days ago. The order of the table was the same as the raw Japanese table, and the English terms used all match possible translations of the Japanese ones.

rinku
12th March 2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by starjake
Torchic: Bashful
Silcoon: Relaxed
Zigzagoon: Jolly
Poochyena: Relaxed
Wingull: Modest

Jolly is a great personality for a Zigzagoon - it boosts their alteady good Speed, while only lowering their Special Attack. Modest is a mixed blessing for Wingull, since it means their Special Attack is better, but their Attack is worse. Bashful is good for an all-rounder like Torchic (one of the no modifer ones), and Relaxed is probably a bad one for both Silcoon and Poochyena (boost to Defense, slight to Speed).

IronMike
12th March 2003, 06:51 PM
Are personalities set whenever you catch a pokemon ( I.E. Permenant ) or can you alter them ??

Maulet
12th March 2003, 06:56 PM
You can't modify them, IronMike.

IronMike
12th March 2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Maulet
You can't modify them, IronMike.

Thanks :) , finding pokemon with fitting personality is going to be a pain.

owac
12th March 2003, 07:16 PM
to bad i have a blaziken with jolly but an speed bonus its not too bad for an attaker pokemon i think

Onaicul
12th March 2003, 07:47 PM
Thats gonna be a pain to get a good in-game team. Does anyone know if a parents personality influences that of it's child? I figured it was just random, but I'm not sure. Thanks anyone who knows the answer

rinku
12th March 2003, 09:09 PM
It's not as bad as you might think. Only a handful of personalties are "bad" for a given type. My advice is to work with what you get. You shouldn't need to catch any more than you normally would to get acceptable individual stats, to have a range of suitable personalities to choose from.

One tip - since the personality mod is a 10% modifier rather than a flat add, it has more effect the larger a base stat is. So if they have an already low base speed, they won't be affected much by a speed slight.

Generally, the best personality will be either one of the "no change" ones, or one that lowers an unused stat (which usually means Attack or Special Attack) and boosts a strong stat.

Combined with the new restrictions on effort, the end result is that you really won't know the precise stats of link-battle pokémon, even in a "maxed out" environment. Which is good.

starjake
13th March 2003, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I love my Zigzagoon. Not only is it fast, but it keeps picking up Rare Candies and Nuggets! It's great.
BTW, I've noticed that there is only a chance that a pokemon will have a characteristic. For example, I caught a Zigzagoon once that had no ability. Do I have a weird ROM?

owac
13th March 2003, 01:06 PM
zigzagon its a grat in-game poke can learn cut, rock smash and surf and can take free items for you, my zigzagon has picked 3 protein 1 full restore and a lot more

Nevermore
13th March 2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by starjake
Yeah, I love my Zigzagoon. Not only is it fast, but it keeps picking up Rare Candies and Nuggets! It's great.
BTW, I've noticed that there is only a chance that a pokemon will have a characteristic. For example, I caught a Zigzagoon once that had no ability. Do I have a weird ROM?

Really? That's interesting. I read the 'no ability' characteristic on an FAQ, but I thought it was just leftover from the Sharpedo which had it in one of the demos before the Japanese game came out.

So you can actually catch 'no ability' Pokemon. Cool.