PDA

View Full Version : Preview - Yu-Gi-Oh: Tilting the Balance

Master of Paradox
13th February 2006, 06:23 PM
The Balance is out of alignment...

One year ago, the Shadow Queen held a tournament, the event of the year. The hidden, true purpose of the tournament was to draw forth the blood descendents of her original jailors, for if she could defeat them, she would be freed from her imprisonment...

But the plan backfired. The Shadow Queen faced down her blood foes... and fell in battle against them.

And with her defeat, the world was purged of a massive source of Darkness.

This was not good for the world at large...

Darkness is rising...

A year has passed since the Shadow Queen's defeat. In that time, the world has settled back into some sort of order.

But peace is just an illusion in the moments between catastrophes.

The city of St. Paul is unaware of it, but within it grows a new darkness, one that seeks to fill the void left by the fall of the Shadow Queen.

Darkness being what it is, its harbingers don't merely wish to fill the void... they seek to overflow it.

The Light calls forth its champion...

While all eyes were on the Three Heroes, however, someone else was at the Monster Island Tournament. His name was Gerald Laxina, and he did well for a time - until his defeat.

Now a young man of 20, Gerald has found a quiet life in Maine. It is the sort of life he has sought since childhood.

It seems only natural that the darkness would take it from him. Destiny abhors a vacuum.

One year after the Monster Island Tournament, Gerald is called to St. Paul by a vision... that and the dismantling of the quiet existence he's used to.

Once in St. Paul, Gerald must correct the Balance between Light, Darkness, Dreams and Shadow. In doing so, he is forced to battle against a power of Darkness that by its definition makes the Shadow Queen pale in comparision.

But Gerald is not alone. He is aided by a new-found friend, the artist and duelist Chad Montmelier. Other allies, some great and some small, will stand beside him.

In short, Gerald Laxina is called upon to save all that is.

And he'll do so...

...right after he's done with his nap.

The laziest duelist alive returns...

YU-GI-OH: TILTING THE BALANCE
Could somebody please wake up our hero?

Blademaster
13th February 2006, 08:47 PM
Stop, Paradox, you're killing me!

I was rolling on the floor laughing for almost 5 minutes after reading that! I mean, a fic starring Gerald Laxina as the hero!? That sounds like it'll end so badly that it's GOTTA be good!

Seriously, this looks like it could be a really good premise; count me in!

-Blademaster

P. S. Can I post a preview for my new story here? Not on this thread, of course; I mean in this 'Writer's Lounge' overall?

mr_pikachu
13th February 2006, 09:19 PM
Hehe, sounds interesting. I like the whole idea of an atypical hero, and the inclusion of the whole "balance of nature" thing sounds intriguing. It really fits considering the whole nature of Duel Monsters. Obviously we don't know much yet, but it could have some definite potential. I'll look forward to seeing what you make of it!

Dark Sage
14th February 2006, 03:46 PM
Well, I'll certainly be reading it, and not just because it's a spinoff of my fic. I've always been a fan of the "unlikely hero" story, and this sure qualifies.

By the way, MoP's fic will start when "Thousand Year Door" ends, mostly because he needs to know exactly how it ends. I'm hurrying to finish it, but it will take a little time. By my count, there are six chapters left, so I should be done in, at most, a month.

I encourage everyone to read "Tilting the Balance". For those who remember Gerald from my fic, don't expect him to rely on Final Countdown again. Gerald will be adapting a new strategy in his dueling.

My lips are sealed as to what it is. But read it anyway.

Perfect Chaos
14th February 2006, 09:31 PM
This definitely looks promising.

Its good to see a new type of hero that emerges. Hopefully, it will turn out to be as good as it is with this hype.

See you then

-Sean

Mystic_clown
17th February 2006, 04:06 AM
Well, this is certainly going to be interesting, what with the main protaginist being a lazy slob. I wonder if any of the other user characters from TTYD are going to make an appearance. If so, you have my permission to use Aesop.