PDA

View Full Version : ...Manafi? (Warning: Possible spoilers for anime and Diamond/Pearl)

mr_pikachu
14th February 2006, 06:55 PM
Well, in one of my periodic strolls through the internet, I happened to notice a bit of buzz about a Pokemon called Manafi. It was apparently revealed in Corocoro magazine, and it supposedly will play a role in the ninth Pokemon movie. It is rumored that it is an "egg Pokemon" (although whether that means it is a pre-evo, simply a new first form, or something else entirely is unclear), and it is supposed to be very energetic.

A picture of Manafi can be found here (http://pocketmonsters.net/images/newpoke1.jpg).

Also included in the picture are a series of three silhouettes (jeez, can they use a new idea already?) which will likely be other Pokemon introduced in the fourth generation. Speculation has already begun about these new Pokemon and any relationships to existing Pokes.

So, any thoughts on this? What do you think about Manafi and the others?

(Thanks to Pokemon Palace and Pokebeach for information and theories.)

Magmar
14th February 2006, 07:34 PM
Chao from Sonic the Hedgehog much?

rinku
14th February 2006, 08:25 PM
If Manafi is the focus pokémon of a movie, it's almost certain that it's a legendary. I'd be guessing that Lucario is the Mewtwo/Lugia/Rayquaza (powerful legend obtained at the end of the game) and Manafi is the Mew/Celebi/Jirachi (promotional legend) for the 4th generation.

The water sillhouette looks very much like a Mantine. Good chance it's a pre-evo. No idea on the split tail one, but the "musical note" one looks a lot like a bird. Possibly a genuinely new type, or maybe something to do with Skarmory?

The Blue Avenger
14th February 2006, 08:29 PM
Just a nitpick, but the offical trademarked name is Manaphy.

I'm interested in the music note bird. Some speculate that's it related to Farfetch'd, which I would love. A lot.

The baby Mantine thing could be interesting as well; Mantines were also underused but still good Pokemon.

mr_pikachu
14th February 2006, 08:31 PM
Actually, I'm not certain of the bird assumption at all. It is suggested by the beak-like thingie on the left side of the shadow. However, I can't get it out of my head that the spike looks remarkably like Absol's scythe.

DarkestLight
14th February 2006, 08:44 PM
Chao I can see, but ...sea monkey ugly pos much? That's the first UGLY Promotional Legend ever :o. I'm shocked and appalled that Nintendo would screw it up like this.

Actually ...no, I'm not. u_u

Charles Legend
14th February 2006, 09:25 PM
TBA: true but it's Enlish name has not been confermed as of yet but then again the same thing happen with Lucario/Rukario as wellso it's namy may indeed be Manphy.

Manafi: forth little legend known as the prince of the sea, and I Agree that it looks like a Chao, it's not that bad but mew an Cerebi look better... they look more orignal... --;;

1st shadow mite be a mantine pre evo.

2nd shadow, I am not sheer but it mite be a grass type.

3rd shadow(the bird) some sort of none legendary thunderbird?

~Charles legend

*Murkrow
15th February 2006, 09:14 AM
Translations of the scan have chucked up three possible names of the shadowed Pokémon: Tamanta, Perappu and Buizera. Beats me who actually translated them, though; Filb lists them and they're being debated elsewhere.

Random edit from while I was typing and searching: Apparently all three names are trademarked, though that could mean nothing. It also seems that the three names were obtained by looking in the trademark database.

Translations of the captions besides the shadows:

Left-most pokemon: "This pokemon looks like a new fish pokemon."
Center pokemon: "Notice how its tail has split in two."
Right-most pokemon: "This individual has a (musical) note shape to it."
Courtesy of Dogasu over at BMGF.

I'm really interested already in the bird like one; I've been waiting for a parrot shaped Pokémon for bloody years and the basic shape does seem to fit. Though I'll admit (and agree with what Mr. Pikachu pointed out)- what looks to be the beak could be something else (maybe the end of the musical note Corocoro mentioned?); others have also pointed out that it's tail could looks similar to a bagpipe.
Regardless, I still hope it's a parrot xD It helps that I think a parrot type thing would suit more a novelty Pokémon which this could be. I would have loved it if it was an evolution of Murkrow, but if the music thing is true then that seems unlikely. Hoping it's nothing to do with Farfetch'd either.

The middle one is also weird, simply because unlike the other two, it is pretty hard to actually get a friggin clue what it's meant to be.

I'm not too fond (already o_O) of the other two. The other shadow left is way too similar to Mantine (not very fond of it) for my liking; I don't like pre-evolutions that much and seeing as chances are it is one, well....just no.

And Manaphy is just hideous. I don't mind cute Pokémon, but that thing is just way too cutesy for my tastes.

Zak
15th February 2006, 04:36 PM
PLEASE don't let this be the fourth little uber-secret legendary i.e. Mew/Celebi/Jirachi...

rinku
15th February 2006, 04:41 PM
Well, I think we have to be expecting a *lot* of pre-evos in DP. Assuming they intend to add 100+ new pokémon as before, it's a *lot* simpler to just add new ones that won't alter the mix of competitive pokémon. Having said that, there are sure to be plenty of genuinely new species... but also expect many that are more or less variations on previous ones (i.e. Arbok -> Seviper, Pidgeot -> Swellow). They may well fill in the missing type combos, though some they will need to be very careful of (Dragon/Steel springs to mind, as does Ghost/Normal).

I don't mind Manaphy* at all. It's no cuter than Jirachi. And Zak... it's pretty much certain that it is, if it's the focus of a movie and cutesey.

(*Thanks for the correction. I was just reading it off the katakana)

soggy_cardboard
18th February 2006, 12:48 AM
I've been waiting to see something like this.
I agree with Zak on the blue blob. We need to have some variation on legendaries. *gag* I hope its a pure flying type.

Shadows
Left: Personally i cant see this being a baby form of Mantine. If it was, wouldnt it be symetrical? I think it looks like a snail.
Center: Looks nice, even though its only a shadow. My guess is a normal-type similar to raticate/furret/linoone. Pity we cant judge by size. It could also be a huge dragon of some sort.
Right: Interesting theory on the bagpipe. I agree too. If you look at the "tail" it seems to be in the same fashion as some bagpipes. Maybe its built into the parrot type bird (reminds me most of a Kea) with perhaps some sound-based moves?

Chris 2.1
23rd February 2006, 04:48 PM
Obviously shadows are little to go by (seeing as Manyula's shadow looked like an alien of some sort x_x) but if the left-most is a Mantine pre-evo, it looks like a really crap one. It's just a dwarfed Mantine from the general outline. Although, as said, we dont know much about its appearence based off a silhouette

The next one reminded me of Breloom and Ampharos for some reason. I'm intrigued. It could be a poison type, with its forked tail having stingers or something *groan*. The last one seems nice, death parrot seems interesting, but Murkrow evolution would be even better.

Magmar
25th February 2006, 10:31 AM
If you ask me, they just keep getting cuter and cuter.

rinku
5th March 2006, 08:37 PM
Well, the three silhouettes have been revealed - looks like the expected pre-evo Mantine (Tamanta), indeed a parrot with a musical note for a head (Perappu) and what looks to be a split tailled otter (Buizeru).

Tama is Japanese for a ball, so I'd guess that's where Tamanta's name comes from. My guess for its English name would be something like Mantot or Manteen.

Rappu is "rap", so possibly the bird's colour text has something to do with hip-hop. Parrap? Rappot?

Bui is katakana for "buoy"... possibly something to do with floating? Looks like a float tube around its neck... perhaps Flotter?

Neither Perappu nor Buizeru seem to sound like parrot (oumu) or otter (rakko, kawauso), but I'm only going by my Japanese e-dictionary - I'm not really fluent.

mr_pikachu
5th March 2006, 11:18 PM
Tama is Japanese for a ball, so I'd guess that's where Tamanta's name comes from. My guess for its English name would be something like Mantot or Manteen.

Really? I had thought that the Japanese "tama" translated roughly into "turtle"... Then again, I'm only going by inferences made from watching anime...

>_>

<_<

...What?

Blademaster
6th March 2006, 11:33 AM
Huh... I was thinking that that first one looked more like a Wailmer than a Mantine... :-/

rinku
7th March 2006, 06:22 PM
Really? I had thought that the Japanese "tama" translated roughly into "turtle"... Then again, I'm only going by inferences made from watching anime...

Nothing in e-dict to indicate "tama" meaning turtle. "Kame" is a word that means turtle or tortoise that could sound similar, I guess.

The Blue Avenger
7th March 2006, 06:28 PM
Bui is katakana for "buoy"... possibly something to do with floating? Looks like a float tube around its neck... perhaps Flotter?

Neither Perappu nor Buizeru seem to sound like parrot (oumu) or otter (rakko, kawauso), but I'm only going by my Japanese e-dictionary - I'm not really fluent.

I think Buizeru sounds more like weasel, myself. Could see it being called Bouysel. Or maybe Vweasel, because of the shape of its tail. However, I could also see problems between its name and Sneasel if it gets translated like that.

Also, could Perappu be a subtle reference to Parappa the Rapper?

mr_pikachu
7th March 2006, 06:44 PM
Well, looking back, "Tama" was an abbreviated version of "Tamago". Of course, since that means "egg" rather than "turtle", I'm still very confused. (Turtle egg? No, that still doesn't make sense... :P)

But as for the new Pokemon, who thinks that Tamanta is a major waste of a Poke? I mean, it's practically exactly the same as Mantine, just a little smaller. Heck, Geodude and Graveler have more differences between them than Tamanta and Mantine.

Blademaster
7th March 2006, 06:53 PM
Yeah, but I guess we're just gonna have to live with that, too... Japanese or not, the name 'Tamanta' seems to reinforce what this new guy is...

mr_pikachu
7th March 2006, 07:14 PM
Yeah, but I guess we're just gonna have to live with that, too... Japanese or not, the name 'Tamanta' seems to reinforce what this new guy is...

Well, that, along with its picture (http://www.pokebeach.com/news/0306/tamanta.jpg).

At least Perappu (http://www.pokebeach.com/news/0306/perappu.jpg) and Buizeru (http://www.pokebeach.com/news/0306/buizeru.jpg) look a little more creative...

(Many thanks to Pokebeach for alleviating any need to link to the green forums.)

The Blue Avenger
7th March 2006, 07:27 PM
But as for the new Pokemon, who thinks that Tamanta is a major waste of a Poke? I mean, it's practically exactly the same as Mantine, just a little smaller. Heck, Geodude and Graveler have more differences between them than Tamanta and Mantine.

Counterpoint: Pichu, Azurill, Plusle, Minun, etc. I'll wait on passing judgment on Tamanta until I find out if it can pass any cool moves onto Mantine, make Mantine more useful, or if it can do anything cool on its own. It's far too early to be making decisions about whether or not it's a waste of space.

Blademaster
8th March 2006, 03:29 PM
Oh, you've gotta be kidding me...

What is happening in the world of Pokemon? A micro-Mantine, a parrot, and Tails from the Sonic the Hedgehog games? This is what Game Freak and Nintendo has been reduced to?

Oy, vey...

The Blue Avenger
8th March 2006, 03:32 PM
Keep in mind these are only the first few Pokemon revealed. Let me ask you something: what were your feelings on Azurill (a Pokemon much like Tamanta - an early-release Pokemon, a seemingly pointless baby) when it was released to the public? And what are your opinions on this generation of Pokemon as a whole?

Blademaster
8th March 2006, 04:15 PM
(looks around again)

...Who, me?

Well, I think Azurill sucks, but not because of its similarity to Marill - I think Azurill sucks because it's not consistent. At all. How can a pre-evolved Marill be a Normal-type? How can a Normal-type have the Thick Fat ability? It's moronic...

This generation? What, the Hoenn generation, the D/P generation, what?

The Blue Avenger
8th March 2006, 04:28 PM
What I meant was that just because a few pre-released Pokemon looked bad doesn't mean that Nintendo and Game Freak are being reduced to anything, as you put it. As you said, you hated Azurill, but surely you didn't hate the GBA generation as a whole?

rinku
8th March 2006, 06:51 PM
I'm hoping Buizeru will be Water/Normal. Not exactly a high-demand type, but it would be neat to fill out the possible type combos. I'd expect Perappu to be Flying/Normal as usual for birds, though. Soundproof would be a likely ability for it, which would a new type/ability combo.

Hmm... Bouy-Weasel could very well be on the money. Katakana for "Weasel" would be something like U-I-I-ZE-RU, making a smooth combination name just like lots of others we've seen in the past.

Blademaster
8th March 2006, 08:19 PM
As you said, you hated Azurill, but surely you didn't hate the GBA generation as a whole?

Oh, Hell no. The Hoenn generation brought what was probably the best MPR (mass-Pokemon release). If you check the 'My Favorite Pokemon' post, you'll notice that all 3 of my favorites are Hoenn Pokemon.

It's just like with Yu-Gi-Oh! cards - there are a few sucky ones for every several dozen or so...

Gotta catch 'em all? Maybe...

But I don't gotta like 'em all.

The Blue Avenger
8th March 2006, 08:49 PM
Naw, I'm not saying that you have to like them all. My point was just that it's too early to judge the generation as a whole, and it seemed to me that that's what you were doing.

homeofmew
8th March 2006, 10:42 PM
Manafi is water/psychic, its like Jirachi,Celebi, the "Mew" of its' era

The Blue Avenger
9th March 2006, 04:33 PM
What's your source? I haven't seen that yet on any news sites. :|

Chris 2.1
9th March 2006, 04:38 PM
Azurill was ok really, it has a different breed-on-movepool so Azu/Marill has access to refresh, sing and encore among other moves. Sure, theyre not great but they can help in UU.

Anyway I agree Pre-Tine is a bit cack. Bonsly and Munchlax: Thumbs up. They are linkable to their evolved forms without looking like dwarfed versions. Pre-tine looks like a Mantine following fin amputation. I dont think it needed a pre-evo or an evolution (maybe more of a fish-like pre-evo would have been nice)

Note: Pre-Tine's colours are that of Mantine's shiny ones. Interesting.

Also: The weasel rocks. Parrot is ok and Manafi is just weird.

Blademaster
9th March 2006, 05:01 PM
My point was just that it's too early to judge the generation as a whole, and it seemed to me that that's what you were doing.

(gets 1,000,000 lawyers after you)

Lawyers: Slander! Slander! Slander! Slander!

:biggrin:

No, I don't think I'll hate this generation, because... uh... Pre-Snorlax and Pre-Sudowoodo look pretty cool, and Evo-Sneasel just rox, as does that Steel/Fighter I've heard about...

I just don't like Mantwerp or Portuguese Man-a-fi. :-/

Phoenixsong
13th March 2006, 05:58 PM
Personally, I haven't got much of a problem with Manaphy, even though I've never really cared too much for Mew, Celebi or Jirachi either. As for all of these prevos, well... I can honestly tell you I severely dislike all of them. I can't stand any of the things they evolve into (Mantine, Sudowoodo, Snorlax, Mr. Mime with its idiotic name), and so I therefore would avoid breeding for these things at all costs except for Pokedex purposes. That's just me, though... I'm really not too fond of any baby Pokemon at all. At least there isn't a prevo Nosepass, the second most idiotic Pokemon idea ever... at least, not yet... oh, please, God, don't let them... what a horrible insult to Easter Island... anyway. Now that I'm done quivering at the thought of baby Nosepass, I'll get on with my point.

Now what they NEED are things like prevo Zangoose and prevo Seviper (or else evolved forms, which would also be awesome). Names like maybe Rikkitavi and Senaga would work for either babies or evos... And evolved Absol... and evolved Pinsir (I hate Pinsir with a passion, but I know it's good and I want a cool evolution as an excuse to put up with it)... evo Swalot (I hate Swalot, too, but again there's room to make it really, really cool if they handle it just right)... evo Kecleon... something with Spinda... and then maybe different evolved forms for Castform, one for each type of weather (a Normal type evo for plain weather, a Fire type evo for sunlight, etc.)... if they're going to make evos and prevos then I personally think those are much better candidates than Pokemon trash like Sudowoodo and Mantine.

What else... more Eeveelutions, maybe a genderless/either sex Nidoran line and then fossil Pokemon that are actually dinosaurs and not trilobites and seaweed. Those would be much better uses of Pokemon slots, IMO. But anyway, back on track...

Hmm... whoever it was that hoped Manaphy would be pure Flying, well, it probably ain't, but I've wanted one of those for a while now, too. Flying is the only Pokemon type that has never stood alone, to the best of my knowledge... or they could at least fill out the set and add a Fighting/Flying type and a Ghost/Flying type. That's all that's missing.

And I happen to like Perrapu and Buizeru (or however you spell 'em), especially Buizeru. I've wanted an otter Pokemon for a long time now, and unlike many Water types it looks like something fast and cute and not so darn defensive that I'd actually use. A parrot is a cool idea, too... hmm... names... Aqueasel and Keanote? Hydracana and Maciano? Or maybe just Bouysel and... oh, I dunno, it's hard to think of names for the parrot. Whatever they're called, I like 'em. Now, when are they gonna reveal some starters... I want to know if my tradition of liking the fire starter best is going to continue for the fourth generation in a row...

Well, anyway, to the best of my understanding (which means I have no proof and am just guessing) the 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place prizes in the Pokemon Journey Across America tournament nationals will include Diamond and Pearl, presumably before they're released to US gamers. I could be misunderstanding the official rules and when they say "5 future Pokemon games to be released in the US" they could just mean they haven't been released as of the time the rules were published, not that they won't have been released by the time of the nationals... hmm... anyway, the point is that if I possibly win that (not likely, but heck, I AM going to nationals at least) and they haven't gone ahead and released all the names/pictures, I'd be happy to put 'em up somewhere on TPM... but they'll probably have gotten most of them out by then, so whatever. I'm going to shut up and go away now. *skips away doing her "I'm going to nationals" dance*

mr_pikachu
13th March 2006, 06:54 PM
At least there isn't a prevo Nosepass, the second most idiotic Pokemon idea ever... at least, not yet... oh, please, God, don't let them... what a horrible insult to Easter Island... anyway. Now that I'm done quivering at the thought of baby Nosepass, I'll get on with my point.

We just have to have a baby Nosepass now. Runnynose will rule Diamond and Pearl! XD

A parrot is a cool idea, too... hmm... names... Aqueasel and Keanote? Hydracana and Maciano? Or maybe just Bouysel and... oh, I dunno, it's hard to think of names for the parrot.

Just as long as they don't name it "Polly"...

Well, anyway, to the best of my understanding (which means I have no proof and am just guessing) the 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place prizes in the Pokemon Journey Across America tournament nationals will include Diamond and Pearl, presumably before they're released to US gamers. I could be misunderstanding the official rules and when they say "5 future Pokemon games to be released in the US" they could just mean they haven't been released as of the time the rules were published, not that they won't have been released by the time of the nationals... hmm... anyway, the point is that if I possibly win that (not likely, but heck, I AM going to nationals at least) and they haven't gone ahead and released all the names/pictures, I'd be happy to put 'em up somewhere on TPM... but they'll probably have gotten most of them out by then, so whatever. I'm going to shut up and go away now. *skips away doing her "I'm going to nationals" dance*

Hmm. This would be awesome, but I have to say it seems pretty unlikely, especially considering that Japan is still in the early spoilers stage of DP... I don't think there are even any screenshots yet. Now, what they might do is give a coupon for a free copy of Diamond/Pearl when they're released in America. While the early release thing would be great, it just doesn't seem feasible.

rinku
14th March 2006, 06:08 PM
Well, according to the CoroCoro page posted on PE2K, Perappu is Flying, the others are Water. Slightly disappointing (like we really needed more pure Water types...), but if true, we finally have a pure Flying type.

I'd take it with a small grain of salt, as they might just be giving one of two types... but I don't think that fits with previous teaser info.

mr_pikachu
14th March 2006, 06:24 PM
Well, new Water types are pretty much unavoidable in any new generation, so long as the new land has a body of water somewhere. Some people might get tired of battling the same Pokemon in every pond, lake, river, and ocean as in previous generations... and I kinda doubt we'll be trekking through Russia in Diamond/Pearl. Now, they don't necessarily have to be pure Water types, although you can only get so creative with combos.

As for a pure Flying type, I'm definitely hesitant to believe it. Every simple flyer we've ever had has been part Normal (obviously), so I won't hold my breath. Watch it end up as part Fighting or something crazy like that.

Hatake Kakashi
25th March 2006, 03:11 AM
I don't believe the "musical note" thing for the last one. It looks like a scythe to me, so I'm gonna say it's a Murkrow evo.

Reapen(Reaper + Raven?) or something would fit.

The second one in looks like it might be a Furret evolution. That line is in need of a third form.

Chris 2.1
26th March 2006, 06:54 AM
The otter/weasel uses its double tail, Tails style, like a propeller underwater. I saw some scans somewhere and it was cute. I'll try and find the movie scans (I think there were 4 I saw) with some good artwork of the new Pokemon.

rinku
26th March 2006, 04:59 PM
I don't believe the "musical note" thing for the last one. It looks like a scythe to me, so I'm gonna say it's a Murkrow evo.

Reapen(Reaper + Raven?) or something would fit.

The second one in looks like it might be a Furret evolution. That line is in need of a third form.

Which info are you looking at? There have been a few more updates over the last two weeks - Perappu is listed (in Japanese on the CoroCoro scans) as the "musical note" pokémon quite clearly.

And while it's possible Buizeru could be an evo of a non-water type, it's not likely IMHO. Not to say there can't be a third evolution for Sentret/Furret as well, though.

Jeff
27th March 2006, 08:54 AM
My opinions:

Tamanta looks like a smaller, cuter version of Mantine, it could have been a little more original though, it's much more of a clone than most prevos in the past have been.

I like the parrot, cool idea. It's English name could be Parrap for Parrot + rap, similar to its Japanese name. I don't think it will be a pure flying type, flying has always been a second type since Gen 1 (there have only been something/flying and never flying/something) so I just don't see this happening unless they go back and change all the old normal/flying types to pure flying, they have changed types before, just look at Magnemite/ton.

As for the weasel, that does look like some kind of floatation thing around its neck, maybe its name could be bouy-related.

Manaphy could be the new Mew-like pokemon but it just seems odd for them to release it before the games (and most of the other new pokemon for that matter). I'm not completely ruling it out though, and if it is, then I definitly see another secret pokemon after it, like Deoxys, that we're not going to find out about until people start hacking the game.

rinku
27th March 2006, 04:50 PM
Manaphy could be the new Mew-like pokemon but it just seems odd for them to release it before the games (and most of the other new pokemon for that matter). I'm not completely ruling it out though, and if it is, then I definitly see another secret pokemon after it, like Deoxys, that we're not going to find out about until people start hacking the game.

This is in line with what was done for Celebi and Jirachi. They appeared as the focus for a movie and then became available as promotional pokémon. What's a little bit different this time is that the movie is tied in with a non-core game (Pokémon Ranger).

Phoenixsong
28th March 2006, 08:29 PM
Why exactly would Perappu not be pure Flying? They wouldn't have to change the types of the previous Pokemon, because Normal is an actual type with its own weakness to Fighting; it's not just a random extra thing that serves as filler. And even though I don't think they're experimenting enough, Nintendo has done some new and unusual type combinations before. I mean, consider the dichotomy that is the Psychic/Fighting Meditite and Medicham. And besides, back in Gen 1 the only Ghost types were Ghost/Poison... but then Misdreavus came out as just Ghost by itself, and they didn't take the Poison type off of the Gastly line. Who's to say the same thing can't happen for Flying with Perappu?

Jeff
28th March 2006, 10:00 PM
I think people are missing my point here. I'm pointing out a trend that goes beyond just a couple of evo lines, or just the normal/flying types even. If you look back at all 386 pokemon, not a single one has flying as it's primary type, all flying types have had flying as their secondary type. It seems like the game's creators intended flying as a solely secondary type, and that's why we have so many normal/flying types instead of pure flying types. So, if they are going to change this now, they will probably go back and change some/most of the old normal/flying types to flying. Personally, I think it is more likely that Perappu will be normal/flying, I know it's been refered to as a "flying type", but so have Pigeotto, Swellow, Noctowl etc. And wern't Tailow/Swellow thought to be pure flying types as well?

Hatake Kakashi
30th March 2006, 01:15 AM
Wait, why would they have to change the other Pokemons types?

Maybe it's a wind Pokemon? Or maybe it's based off something entirely different? It doesn't NEED to be normal/flying.

mr_pikachu
30th March 2006, 01:38 AM
It's not totally unprecedented for a type that's always been a "combo type" to suddenly standalone. There have been a few examples already of that. Also, consider the Ice type, which was always part of a combo until Snorunt, Glalie, and Regice came along in RSE. And although it's a bit of a different situation (since it wasn't a type in RBY), Steel was also combo-only until RSE. Even though Flying is the only type that hasn't yet stood alone, I don't think that means it's entirely outside the realm of possibility. Nor do I think that any prior Pokemon need to be changed, although I'll admit that is a possibility.

rinku
2nd April 2006, 08:01 PM
I'd have to admit, I tend to agree that Perappa will probably be normal/flying, simply because it's yet another bird.

I'd have thought that the "pure" Flying pokémon would be one without feet - perhaps based on the myth about Swifts that they never land (untrue, although they do spend an amazing amout of time on the wing). I'd not expect such a pokémon to have legs.

A wind pokémon would not be pure Flying, IMHO. It's hard to see how it would be:

* Supereffective vs Fighting, Grass and Bug
* Vulnerable to Electric, Rock and Ice

(For the record, we already have a Gas pokémon - Gastly and its evos; and a Cloud pokémon - Castform).

Drago
3rd April 2006, 02:18 AM
I thought a wind type would be cool some three years ago, but now I'm not too sure. I mean, another thing for grass to have a weakness to? Grass gets entirely screwed over on the weak/strong ratio.

Now then, Perappu gets the ok from me. It's pretty neat-looking, and though it strangely reminds me of Spearow, it seems unique enough in itself. Buizeru a bit less good for me, the least they could've done was give it a gray colour-scheme to remove the Tails parallel. That aside, it's alright.
Manafi or whatever should burn in hell. That crap ain't cute, it looks like a disproportioned blue lump. Mew, Celebi and Jirachi all looked to me like something that I could send out and make people go 'ooh'. Manafi? No. Hell no.

I'm hoping for more Fire-types this run. New Fire-types were severely infrequent in RS. An assload of dragons, three(?) new fire families. Not cool.
Regardless, that first page is kind of cool because it's got a Cloud Strife-wannabe riding a Mantine. Spectacular.