PDA

View Full Version : Re: <|[Game]|> The Riddle Game, version 8 (Approved by Lady Vulpix)

Pages : [1] 2

mr_pikachu
25th February 2006, 01:43 AM
The Riddle Game
Version 8.0
Lady Vulpix approved.
Originally started by Parsec's Politoed, a.k.a. PBug.

Workers -- See Scores.

The prize for correctly answering a riddle is what we call a figurine. They are small, molded from a soft plastic, resembling the pokemon that you identified. Occasionally a worker, (and only a worker) will give out a legendary or special figurine. Special figurines are sometimes called "O.A.K" figurines (One of A Kind), because often they will be shiny or have a unique feature. Come here on your birthday to get a O.A.K pokemon figurine with a birthday cake. Every once in a while, there will be a contest held here, sometimes even with special figurine prizes!

For future reference, legendary pokemon include Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Latias, Latios, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Uxie, Azelf, Mesprit, Heatran, Regigigas, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Cresselia, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus.

Rules -- These are updated every few weeks, the newest updates are in royal blue.
1 - The maximum number of pokemon guesses a post is 3.
2 - You must offer a reason for your choice for at least 3/4 of the riddle. (If the riddle is 4 lines, you must explain your reasoning for at least 3 of them, and so on.)
3 - If its your turn to post a new riddle, and you don't post it within 5 days, anyone else can post a new riddle. However, you don't get the figurine you last won and it is given to the next person who posts the new riddle.
4 - If no one gets the riddle in 50 guesses, you can explain what the riddle means and obtain the figurine for the riddle (only if the explanation is valid, which is up to the sole discretion of the workers). Then you have to make another riddle up.
5 - If no one guess at the riddle for 15 days, the riddle poster can post the answer out and, if validated by any of the workers here, he/she can have the figurine of that riddle. The riddle poster needs to post a new riddle out.
6 - The minimum riddle length is 4 lines, but please do try to make it longer.
7 - Try to put some effort into both your riddles and responses.
8 - Have fun!
9 - Once you received a worker figurine, you are a worker forever.

Scoreboard
Bold indicates a legendary figurine.
GOLD indicates an O.A.K. figurine.
PINK indicates a Birthday figurine.
BLUE indicates a Worker figurine.

Cyndaquil (a.k.a. Pichu) (23) Cyndaquil with Worker Sign, Shiny Bulbasaur, Aipom, Bulbasaur, Chimecho, Cyndaquil, Eevee, Flygon, Golduck, Hariyama, Kangaskhan, Koffing, Latias, Latios with Birthday Cake, Magneton, Marowak, Pichu, Sableye, Smeargle, Teddiursa, Togepi, Unown H, Venonat.

AragornBird (22) Ho-oh with Worker Sign, Articuno with Birthday Cake, Latios with Birthday Cake, Blissey, Caterpie, Chikorita, Celebi, Dustox, Forretress, Shiny Jirachi, Mantine, Mightyena, Nidoking, Porygon, Rapidash, Salamence, Shuckle, Skiploom, Smeargle, Stantler, Tentacool, Zapdos

Charizard04621 (21) Flygon with Worker Sign, Eevee with Birthday Cake, Beautifly, Cubone, Dragonair, Electrode, Gastly, Forretress, Milotic, Ninetales, Golden Octillery, Shiny Raikou, Seel, Sharpedo, Swablu, Shiny Torchic, Vileplume, Espeon, Gyarados, Anorith, Ditto

mr_pikachu (19) Pikachu with Worker Sign, Cacnea, Crobat, Ditto, Fearow, Flygon, Shiftry, Zubat, Aron, Golden Venomoth, Croconaw, Articuno, Onix, Plusle, Electrode, Mantine, Zigzagoon, Gengar, Parasect

Hexae (13) Articuno with Worker Sign, Silver Ledian, Aerodactyl, Bellsprout, Gorebyss, Medicham, Natu, Pikachu, Slowpoke, Solrock, Spheal, Wobbuffet, Yanma

Rambunctious Jamirius (11) Eevee with Worker Sign, Mew with Birthday Cake, Breloom, Dunsparce, Meditite, Shroomish, Stantler, Togepi, Typhlosion, Umbreon, Zangoose

Lady Vulpix (10) Vulpix with Birthday Cake, Cascoon, Dragonair, Eevee, Golduck, Meowth, Relicanth, Scyther with January 2006 Sign, Shedinja, Slowking,

Blademaster (9) Sudowoodo, Bagon, Banette with September 2006 Sign, Misdreavus with September 2006 Sign, Altaria with September 2006 Sign, Kyogre with September 2006 Sign, Ledyba with September 2006 Trophy, Articuno, Mr. Mime

Soggy_Cardboard (8) Spinda with Birthday Cake, Bellosom, Crawdaunt, Glalie, Jynx, Kingdra, Metapodk, Weepinbell

ZeldaFan20 (7) Jirachi with Birthday Cake, Feraligatr, Heracross, Meowth, Skarmory, Gorebyss, Misdreavus

Discothéqµe (6) Cacnea, Electabuzz, Teddiursa, Feraligatr, Poliwrath, Shuppet.
Fett One (6) Donphan, Gyarados with September 2006 Sign, Graveler, Houndour, Milotic, Heracross
Kevvaelli (6) Poliwhirl with Worker Sign, Politoed with Birthday Cake, Poliwag, Snorunt, Flygon, Spinarak
Nuriko (6) Ditto, Gyarados, Makuhita, Mightyena, Milotic, Rainbow Nosepass

Ace64 (5) Golduck with January 2006 Sign, Flareon with January 2006 Sign, Espeon with January 2006 Trophy, Umbreon, Absol

Solarock (5) Arcanine, Azumarill, Ditto, Lugia, Zubat

shinypkmnchaser (4) Spinarak, Porygon2, Pidgeot, Seviper

Bamm (3) Absol with birthday cake, Aerodactyl, Regice
DarkPrince. (3) Shiny Growlithe, Electabuzz, Houndoom
Elemental Seribii (3) Shiny Ampharos, Celebi with Birthday Cake, Ariados
Gaborn (3) Bulbasaur with Birthday Cake, Golbat, Feebas
Green_Lanturn (3) Roselia, Sudowoodo, Lileep
Hypotenuse Man (3) Taillow, Cradily, Rattata
Mr. SmileAKASkrusti (3) Arcanine, Machop, Cacnea.
Music Dragon (3) Altaria with Birthday Cake, Blaziken, Crying Lunatone
Typact (3) Porygon with Birthday Cake, Dragonair, Parasect

Andypants (2) Lunatone, Tyrogue
Chris Watarimono (2) Linoone, Natu
Conspiracy (2) Ho-oh, Wynaut
EvileSquirrel (2) Arcanine with Birthday Cake, Treecko
Kitsun (2) Hoothoot, Bulbasaur with Birthday Cake
MarshmallowEgg (2) Squirtle, Unown
Mikey (2) Psyduck, Swablu
starjake (2) Walrein, Gardevoir
titandude21 (2) Jolteon, Miltank
Wolfsong (Nala98) (2) Houndour, Kecleon
Zcade0 (2)Psyduck, Granbull

Angel Blossom (1) Murkrow with Glittering Hat
Avian Freeze (1) Flygon
Brit Chris (1) Masquerain
classycat_13 (1) Dusclops
CrystalMaster Mike (1) Alakazam
Citrus Crush Chikorita (1) Farfetch'd
Crazy Elf Boy (1) Starmie
Dragon_Claw (1) Dusclops
Kyou (1) Breloom
Kyuubi (1) Shiny Sneasel
LightNinetales (1) Ninetales with Birthday Cake
mistysakura (1) Rhyhorn
Phantom of Innocence-BF (1) Spoink
Plantae (1) Gardevoir with January 2006 Sign
ShadowDjinn (1) Umbreon with Birthday Cake
SilverMachop (1) Sudowoodo
SmearGal (1) Fearow
Venusaur (1) Venusaur with Birthday Cake
VirtualPlay (1) Poliwag
Zak (1) Huntail

CURRENT RIDDLE GAME CHAMPION
Blademaster

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Karin, I'm pretty sure that it was your turn to post the next puzzle at the end of the last version, so have at it!

Charizard04621
25th February 2006, 05:00 PM
Okay, cool! We'll start off with a not too hard one. ^_^

I shine with the splendor of glowing treasures,
Stalk through the night under glittering stars;
I bask in the rays of the mirrored sun,
And harness their surging power from afar;
I am a being brought forth by love,
As gold as the sun, as black as tar.

Ace64
25th February 2006, 05:08 PM
Is it the good Umbreon?

Umbreon's golden rings glow during the night.

Faint Attack? lol.

Lunar light is refracted solar energy.

Moonlight harnesses the energy fro afar- the rays traveling to earth.

They evolve from Eevee's, only with a loving trainer.

Again, gold rings, black fur.

Lady Vulpix
25th February 2006, 05:24 PM
Gah, I wanted to make that guess too. :P
Anyway, nice riddle! But why are the prize plushies parked in pink like birthday plushies?

mr_pikachu
25th February 2006, 09:50 PM
Maybe Togepi/Togetic?

Treasures... well, Togepi is extremely rare; the only time we've ever seen any besides Misty's on the anime was during that special Hoenn arc. In GSC, the only way to get one was as a gift. The "glowing" part could also refer to the evolutionary process, or something.

Ever heard of "wishing upon a star"? Togepi and Togetic learn Wish naturally.

Um... they can both learn Sunny Day as well as Rain Dance...

Uh... in FireRed/LeafGreen, Togepi and Togetic learn Baton Pass. When they're in their Pokeballs, they're pretty far away from the battle...? :P

Togepi evolves to Togetic through friendship.

I have no idea on this part.

Meh, it's worth a shot, although Ace's guess seems closer.

EDIT: Oh, and the contest figurines are in pink text because, like birthday and some other figurines, they are also OAK (One-of-A-Kind). That's why the competition is really neat, because no one will ever win a figurine like any of the ones you all won there.

EDIT2: Aaaaand I'm an idiot. Changing the text to gold now. >_>

Charizard04621
26th February 2006, 11:02 AM
Ace is correct! Sorry Gabi, just a few minutes too late. ^^; Ace got pretty much most of the reasons spot on, besides the line "Stalk through the night under glittering stars;" which was just a general statement as to Umbreon's nocturnal nature. Eevee can only become Umbreon in the nighttime. Anyway, I won't use up time to type up all the other reasons, as I'll only be repeating the same thing!

Congratulations Ace, you win an Umbreon figurine.

[EDIT]: It goes without saying, but, it's your turn to post a riddle, Ace!

Ace64
26th February 2006, 04:40 PM
Actually, it did need to be said, at least this one time. Otherwise I would have forgotten. Anyhow, let's get to the riddle. It's my first one, but I'll try my best.

The elements lose their force and falter,
none but the strongest have a chance.
Few would dare to enter my waters,
without the aid of my twin lances.
Try and do all you can to win,
I am not without a defense
I will fight to protect my kin,
even if the odds are immense.

I know I didn't have to make it rhyme...but I did anyway. And it's only half-sucky.

mr_pikachu
27th February 2006, 09:08 AM
This may seem like an off-the-wall guess, but could it be Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam?

Like many Psychic types, Alakazam has a high Special Defense, so it's better to use brute strength (Physical Attacks) to try to defeat it. The same goes for its lower evolutions.

Twin lances... does that refer to Alakazam's two spoons, maybe? As for waters, I don't have a clue.

Again, it has a high Special Defense. The evo line is also gifted with an extraordinary Special Attack stat, and the best defense is a good offense, as they say.

The Attack of this line is very weak, so it's in trouble if it faces a foe where its Special Attack (or even just its Psychic moves) won't be very helpful, like Dark types or a Blissey. Still, it won't give up with moves like Recover, Reflect and Light Screen in its arsenal.

Hey, it's worth a shot.

Ace64
27th February 2006, 02:12 PM
Your reasoning was good, but in this case, it was a shot in the dark.

Incorrect Guesses (3)
Abra
Kadabra
Alakazam

mr_pikachu
27th February 2006, 02:30 PM
Okay... what about Weedle/Kakuna/Beedrill?

Weedle and Kakuna cannot use any "elemental" (I'd consider that to mean Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, or Ground) moves at all, and Beedrill can only use Mega Drain, Giga Drain, and Solarbeam - the two strongest draining Grass moves and the most powerful Grass attack of all besides Frenzy Plant.

The word "waters" could mean the beehive, I suppose. Twin lances would probably refer to the twin stingers of Beedrill. And until Weedle and Kakuna reach that form and obtain their species' lances, they can't use any TMs, making them quite vulnerable with their incredibly weak natural moves.

Beedrill can learn Reflect and Protect through TMs, and Double Team also makes it hard to hit. Kakuna can learn Harden to protect itself, and Weedle has the ability of Shield Dust... a shield is sort of a defense, right?

Beedrill often appear in swarms according to various Pokedex entries. Weedle and Kakuna can battle, as well, though the odds aren't usually in their favor.

Ace64
27th February 2006, 08:36 PM
You're getting close about the elements, but the rest is a bit off. Nice reasoning though.

Incorrect Guesses (6)
Abra
Kadabra
Alakazam
Weedle
Kakuna
Butterfree

Hyperness is a Good Thing
28th February 2006, 03:59 AM
My guess..is it Blastoise?????

I'm not too sure about these two lines...er.. Blastoise was considered a pretty strong pokemon with quite high attacks.. and it can use a few non-elemental attacks like headbutt etc...

Twin lances referring to its two pumps maybe?? waters cos Blastoise is a water element pokemon?

I think Blastoise had a pretty decent Sp Defense? Or maybe you're referring to its shell?

Errr.... not much idea on this... only in the cartoon series, Squirtle had a big gang that wore sunglasses? Cute though. Seemed rather "kin" orientated in a way right?

rough guess.. ^_~

Charizard04621
1st March 2006, 08:37 AM
Doduo/Dodrio

Doduo doesn't learn any elemental attacks. The only thing close to it is Tri Attack (Normal) which is the power of Thunder, Blizzard, and Fire Blast combined.

Perhaps "enter my waters" is a figurative way of saying territory. "Twin lances" could refer to Doduo's double heads; their beaks are certainly long and sharp enough to be considered lances.

Doduo is very easy to kill; it has no Defense or Special Defense to be proud of, and has many elemental and physical weaknesses. It also cannot fly, but it makes up for this deficit with its speed. Doduo and Dodrio learn (through breeding) "table turners" such as Flail and Endeavor, which may turn around a losing fight since they are more effective the more desperate the situation is.

Ace64
1st March 2006, 02:16 PM
Very good reasons, but some of the riddle still needs to be answered.

Incorrect Guesses (9)
Abra
Kadabra
Alakazam
Weedle
Kakuna
Butterfree
Blastoise
Doduo
Dodrio

starjake
2nd March 2006, 03:51 PM
I'm going to guess Walrein.

The elements lose their force and falter
Walrein's Thick Fat ability shields it from Fire and Ice moves. It also has a pretty decent Spcl. Def. score.

None but the strongest have a chance
While Walrein is a powerful monster to contend with (plus, only the strongest trainers can get past him in the Elite Four), this might also apply to real-life male walruses, who fight each other to see who gets the female.

Few would dare to enter my waters
without the aid of my twin lances
Walrein lives in the frozen tundra, a water area. Also, getting through the thick ice floes of that area is nearly impossible without the aid of its 'twin lances', a.k.a. tusks.

Try and do all you can to win
Having a Walrein or walrus mad at you is not a good thing. It is not only powerful on the offense, but its thick blubber provides an excellent defense.

I will fight to protect my kin
even if the odds are immense
The walrus family unit is one of the strongest in the animal kingdom. Males will use their considerable size and power to defend their herd at all costs, standing up to predators such as polar bears and killer whales. While I know little about Walreins and their herds, I can only assume the same applies to them.

Ace64
2nd March 2006, 05:54 PM
Way to go, starjake! Right in one.

Thick Fat cuts Fire and Ice moves in half. Thus, only the strongest move will have the best effect.
Walrein live in artic, icy waters, and its tusks are capable of shattering ice floes. It would be dangerous and foolhardy to try and swim in such waters without one.
Also, according the Pokedex, the leader of a Walrein herd will give his life to protect his herd.

The Walrein figurine is yours.

starjake
2nd March 2006, 08:17 PM
Alright! I rockzorz!

Now, to come up with a riddle...hmm...

My name is indiscernable
e'en though my name's quite plain
And if you were to look at me
My color's quite the same

Attacking me with plain brute force
Is not what you'd desire
You'd probably only hurt yourself
And then invoke my ire

You'd never guess my age if you
would judge me by my size
To raise me past my current strength
You'd need an ore-like prize

Good Luck!

Charizard04621
3rd March 2006, 08:38 AM
Onix

My name is indiscernable

Onix is derived from the word "onyx"; it's not a difficult name to say, but it is misspelled intentionally.

By quite the same, I assume you mean the color is plain as well. Onix is very, very plain (gray).

Is not what you'd desire
And then invoke my ire

Scratching, Biting, Tackling, or or using untrained physical attacks against Onix would just pit you against his heavy rocklike defenses. You probably don't want to annoy an Onix by doing this, either, because it's huge and can hurt you.

Onix is really big, but it's only a first evolution, and can go as low as level 5 from an Egg.

Metal Coat induces its evolution to Steelix.

Blademaster
3rd March 2006, 11:32 AM
If I may take a guess...

Yeah, Onix sounds about right, but just for fun, I'll go with Aron.

My name is indiscernable e'en though my name's quite plain

Aron. Very simple to spell and to remember, but I can't pronounce it. It could be AIR-on, uh-RON, EY-ron, ARE-un, etc.

And if you were to look at me, my color's quite the same

Aron is grey and white. You can't get much plainer than that...

Attacking me with plain brute force Is not what you'd desire - You'd probably only hurt yourself And then invoke my ire

Aron is made of steel and stone, making it nearly impervious to any psychical attack outside a strong Fighting or Ground move. Also, attacking an Aron could make it angry, and then it'll gather up its friends to come after you...

You'd never guess my age if you would judge me by my size

Aron is small, but it can grow to be pretty old before it evolves into Lairon at Level 30.

To raise me past my current strength You'd need an ore-like prize

Aron feeds on steel and rocks inside of caves, which gives it its armorlike skin and helps it to grow old enough to evolve.

I'm sure Charizard04621 is right (Good deductions, man.), but I just felt like contributing, y'know?

Anyway, later.

-Blademaster

starjake
3rd March 2006, 12:33 PM
Sorry, Blademaster, but Charizard got it right.

My name is indiscernable
I actually derived this from the fact that Onix doesn't speak its name, like other pokemon do; it's "words" consist of a 'Chu-Roar' sound. Therefore, it's name is indiscernable from its speech.

'Onix' is a short word with only two syllables. Very plain in compaison to something like Milotic or Gyarados.

it's colored grey. Plainest color you can get, in my book.

Is not what you'd desire
And then invoke my ire
With a skin made out of rocks and one of the higheset DEF scores in the game, even attacking Onix with Fighting, Steel, or Ground moves (which are all technically Super Effective against it) won't result in a ton of damage. Also, attacking it causes its Rage attack to increase in power.

Even though it's huge, it's actually the lowest evolutionary form.

Onix only evolves when traded while equipped with Metal Coat. In GSC, you 'win' a Metal Coat for finding the captain's daughter on the ship to Kanto (and they're certainly rare enough to be deemed a 'prize' if you manage to find ont). Ore is another way of saying a mineral-subtance, which metal is derived from.

Congratulations to Charizard for winning an Onix figurine and the chance to stump us with a new riddle!

Charizard04621
3rd March 2006, 04:25 PM
Onix! ^_^

Unfortunately I cannot think of a new riddle, and I will be out for Spring Break for a whole week, rendering me unable to update... Thus I will pass on this Onix figurine to whomever creates the next riddle.

mr_pikachu
3rd March 2006, 04:55 PM
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Well, enjoy your Spring Break!

Now, let's keep the game moving.

The victor thrice, approacheth hence,
The door hath been blocked without sense.
Façade awaits you, keyholder,
Beware thy future batt’ling err;
Seek wisdom now, or fate is doom.
Light sheds as growth avoids its bloom.

Good luck!

Ace64
4th March 2006, 04:22 PM
Really off the wall,but I'll go with Haunter/Gengar.

You (the player) are the victor. I'm thinking this rhyme speaks of Lavender Tower. On the third floor (I think)...

Your doorway is blocked by a mysterious shape.

A facade is an illusion. The key in this case would be the Silph Scope.

When battling ghosts, you must use elemental attacks. All others have no effects. Early in the game, this could be a problem.

Facing a ghost with non-elemental Pokemon pretty much spells out your doom.Wisdom would dictate keeping a variety of Pokemon.

Not sure about this one...The light of knowledge against the growth of ignorance?

mr_pikachu
4th March 2006, 04:32 PM
Actually, those were good guesses. They just weren't good enough this time.

Incorrect Guesses (2):
Haunter
Gengar

Blademaster
4th March 2006, 07:48 PM
I think this is the worst answer yet to a riddle, but I'm gonna go with one of my favorite Pokemon: the mysterious Metagross.

Metagross is a Stage 3 Pokemon, making it a 3-time victor as far as Evolution goes. Also, it has top-notch stats in 3 fields: Physical Attack, Special Attack, and Defense. Most other non-legendaries don't have great stats in more than 2 fields.

Metagross takes longer to Evolve than any other Pokemon (outside of a Dragon-type), so Metagross is completely blocked off, unless you're very patient and persistent (Or you're a no-good dirty cheater who amassed 200 Rare Candies throughout the game via Gameshark or constant trading. :rolleyes:).

Metagross is a living illusion - an enigma, if you will - if you think the key to defeating it is to outsmart it, you're outta luck, becuase it has four-way brainpower going for it. And if you think the key to winning against it is to decrease its stats, think again, because it has an ability called Clear Body that stops its stats from being lowered. The only way to defeat it is to try to overpower it.

The only time when you ever battle against a Metagross is when you take on the Elite Four near the end of the game -in the future. But that's assuming you can reach it, of course...

That Elite Four Metagross is the strongest non-legendary Pokemon in the game. It's at Level 58, it can resist almost any attack, and its Hyper Beam and Meteor Mash can wipe out almost anything in its path. You'll have to plan long and hard in order to have any hope of taking it down (i.e., raise a Geodude, Torchic, or Aron to its final evolution and teach it a wide variety of moves)...

I can't even understand this line, but I believe that it's a reference to Metagross' Meteor Mash Attack, which pounds an opponent with meteors (shedded bits of starlight, just to be poetic) and has a 1-in-5 chance of lowering the opponent's Attack power (lowering, which is the opposite and therefore total avoidance of growth/blooming)

I'm pretty sure I'm wrong...

...Or maybe I just have a different answer than what mr pikachu was looking for. :rolleyes:

Nah, I'm wrong. :p

-Blademaster

mr_pikachu
4th March 2006, 07:59 PM
Well, yeah, you're wrong. But nevertheless, I admire your reasoning; and anyway, those were fun reasons to read! ^_^

Incorrect Guesses (3):
Haunter
Gengar
Metagross

Two more guesses before the first hint...

Blademaster
4th March 2006, 08:33 PM
Well, yeah, you're wrong.

Gee, thanks! :xd:

So, 2 more guesses allowed before a hint, eh? Well, I originally did have another guess:

Sandshrew/Sandslash

Sandshrew/Sandslash is one of the few Pokemon to appear in all 3 Game Boy locations (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn)

In Ruby and Sapphire, Sandshrew/Sandslash appeared in the desert, a 'doorway' to said Pokemon that was initially 'blocked' by sandstorms.

A facade, or an illusion, could be another way of saying 'mirage,' which is something commonly found in the desert. The 'key' to accessing the desert in Ruby and Sapphire was the Go-Goggles.

The first major battles that you fight after first accessing the desert - and Sandshrew/Sandslash - are the fights w/ Team Magma/Aqua and with Norman, both of which are fights to be bewared.

Team Magma/Aqua is somewhat difficult, but Norman is a true test. You'll have to have a good strategy to defeat Norman, and a Pokemon of wisdom (or great brainpower ) is invaluable against the Poison Pokemon weilded by Team Aqua/Magma.

[I]Light sheds as growth avoids its bloom.

A possible reference to Sandshrew/Sandslash's Sand Attack and/or Sand Veil. The former decreases an opponent's accuracy by darkening their vision (therefore, shedding or discarding light), and the latter increases Sandshrew/Sandslash's evasion by camouflaging them in the sand (making them harder to see, as though they'd shrunk down to nothing [hence the avoidance of growth]).

I'm stubborn; I'm gonna figure this out sooner or later!

-Blademaster

mr_pikachu
4th March 2006, 08:45 PM
Not bad attempts, but I'm afraid you're still missing a few critical aspects. Maybe the hint will help.

Incorrect Guesses (5):
1. Haunter
2. Gengar
3. Metagross
4. Sandshrew
5. Sandslash

Hints (1):
1. The first line refers to timing in one of the Pokemon games.

Blademaster
7th March 2006, 06:49 PM
Hmmm...

God, I'm bored...

I think...

Could it be Scyther?

Scyther was the Pokemon most likely to win the Bug-Catching Contest, which occured thrice in a week. Since it was a winner, it naturally would be sought out - approached, rather.

This could be a reference to either the fact that you couldn't enter the contest on certain days or if you had more than 1 Pokemon, or it refers to Sudowoodo, who initially blocks your path to Goldenrod and the Contest.

Scyther's Agility and False Swipe can be translated as facades - illusions of great speed or a successful KO. The 'key' to Scyther is a custom Pokeball, and in the later games, the Metal Coat is also a key - the key to evolving Scyther into Scizor.

Don't mess with a Scyther too much - it'll likely run away before you catch it via brute force. Also, attacking it will cause its Swarm power to kick in and give it a massive power boost. Plus, wild Pokemon other than Scyther are commonly found, and some of them can pose a decent threat.

At the Contest, Scyther can be hard to defeat with most early-game Pokemon, save for Geodude or Growlithe. Entering a contest unprepared isn't smart, since you only have one Pokemon; allowing it to faint either ends the game or the Contest - I can't remember which...

Shedding light leads to darkness; Scyther is capable of learning Dark moves like Pursuit. Growth and bloom may refer to Scyther's wide array of stat-boosting abilities and attacks (Double Team, Focus Energy, Swords Dance, etc.).

That's my thoughts, anyway...

mr_pikachu
7th March 2006, 07:08 PM
Sorry, but you're a little off the mark there. Keep trying!

Incorrect Guesses (6):
1. Haunter
2. Gengar
3. Metagross
4. Sandshrew
5. Sandslash
6. Scyther

Hints (1):

Blademaster
8th March 2006, 03:11 PM
(snarls viciously at mr pikachu and his clearly superior intelligence)

OK, I'll go with an obvious answer - the Legendary Groudon.

You had to defeat that stupid Team Magma in 3 major fights before you could access Groudon (Mt. Ember, Weather Institute, Mossdeep Cave).

Well, you've beaten the bad guys and saved the Poke-world, but you still need some dumb rock before you can battle Groudon.

Perhaps the illusion of victory over Team Magma when a greater threat looms ahead? Earth + Super-Drought/Super-Flood = Bad.

You only have 1 shot to catch Groudon, so be careful when fighting it... On the other hand, don't go too easy on it, or it'll defeat you.

...After catching or defeating Groudon, you move on to the Sootopolis Gym, where you need a bit of wisdom to navigate the ice maze (Otherwise, you'll have to battle an onslaught of angry women with powerful Water Pokemon... That could hurt... :-/

After catching Groudon, the intense sunlight soaking Hoenn fades to normal (shedding light), which means the oceans won't be dried up and the continents won't grow in size (A little melodramatic, yeah, but it's a video game. Go figure.).

mr_pikachu
9th March 2006, 12:38 AM
Nice try, but flattery will get you nowhere with me. ;)

Incorrect Guesses (7):
1. Haunter
2. Gengar
3. Metagross
4. Sandshrew
5. Sandslash
6. Scyther
7. Groudon

Hints (1):

starjake
11th March 2006, 03:22 AM
Might it be...Eevee/Vaporeon?

The Pokémon Yellow game decides what Gary evolves his starter Eevee into based on your battle record against him for the first three battles (3/0 = Jolteon, 2/1 or 1/2 = Flareon, and 0/3 gives you Vaporeon). The first time you see Eeve's evolved form is when you battle Gary at Silph Co., where is, oddly enough, blocking your way to Giovanni.

Warning: from here on, I'm really going out on a limb. I think the first line might refer to Vaporeon's ability to melt itself into water; to turn itself into a façade, if you will. You, as Eevee's trainer, hold the 'key' to its evolution: a Water Stone. The 'future battling err' is beyond me, to be honest; I can't think of a error you make in the game that you know you're going to make. Seeking wisdom might refer to the fact that you only get one Eevee in the game, and therefore only one shot at evolving it; be sure your choice of evolution is a wise one.

Very poetic. For future reference, 'shedding light' actually means to illuminate, not darken (hence the phrase "shed a little light on the subject"). However, I can make neither heads nor tails of this; 'bloom' essentially means 'to expand', which both light and growth can do, so is the growth avoiding the light's bloom or the growth's bloom? *head spins*

Charizard04621
11th March 2006, 08:39 PM
Perhaps Jirachi.

Doom Desire hits after 3 turns.

Don't know much about it, there was an Animé thing about it that I didn't watch... Perhaps the door being blocked has something to do with Jirachi being asleep... Facade is a move that Jirachi learns. *shrug* It'll grant wishes according to legend to those who stick a note on its head, but I doubt that's what it'll really do when it awakens, thus a "facade" - things are not as they really seem.

Jirachi learns Future Sight - in 3 turns, damage will be dealt to the opponent by an attack pulled from the future. It is fated to happen.

Heh, Jirachi doesn't evolve? =/

Blademaster
12th March 2006, 12:10 PM
I'm gonna say...

Celebi.

Celebi is capable of traveling through time - the lord of the past, present, and future. All other rulers can only rule the present, so Celebi has a 3x advantage over them.

Celebi is totally unavailable in the U. S. - unless you can get to a Nintendo-sponsored event or you know some meta-cheat code, you ain't getting Celebi.

IF you managed to ever track down Celebi, you likely wouldn't be able to keep it - it'd just zip to another time (Also, on a minor note, Celebi can learn TM42, which is Facade, in Ruby, Sapphire, Fire Red, Leaf Green, and Emerald.).

Uh, hello? Timetravel Pokemon? Future?

Pokedex entries say that as long as Celebi appears, a bright future awaits humans; pollution, global warming, consistent wars, etc. may soon stop Celebi from appearing. If humans don't 'seek wisdom' before then...

...'fate is doom.'

Celebi is a Grass-type (light sheds = Solarbeam) that doesn't evolve (avoided growth = lack of evolution).

mr_pikachu
12th March 2006, 11:58 PM
...Two of you are really overthinking here, while one of you needs to go a little more in-depth. Maybe the next hint will help.

Incorrect Guesses (11):
1. Haunter
2. Gengar
3. Metagross
4. Sandshrew
5. Sandslash
6. Scyther
7. Groudon
8. Eevee
9. Vaporeon
10. Jirachi
11. Celebi

Hints (2):
2. None of the lines refers to any specific move.

starjake
13th March 2006, 12:40 AM
Is it Ho-oh?

In order to ascend the stairs into Tin Tower, you must have won against the Wise Trio, captured each of the Legendary Dogs, and defeated the Elite Four. Until all three of those steps have been accomplished, there will be a monk guarding the staircase; once all the steps have been fulfilled, the staircase magically appears out of thin air.

Façade awaits you, keyholder.

The façade in question might refer to the Rainbow, which looks like it's there but it really isn't (all 'it' is is a sort of optical illusion); the 'key' would be the RAinbow Wing.

Again, this one eludes me...perhaps that it's a bad idea to try and capture it with the Master Ball?

This could refer to the Wise Trio that you must defeat in order to access the Tower, and the fact that the tower is run by monks (a group of people noted for wisdom).

The shed light in this case is easy: a rainbow forms in the path of wherever Ho-oh flies. I'm not sure of what would sort of 'growth' would hide from a rainbow, however.

Charizard04621
13th March 2006, 09:07 AM
Voltorb/Electrode

Silph Co. in RBY was excessively annoying, you had to keep switching floors until you finally found the key in order to open the door. The Team Rocket base in the Game Corner was also irritating because you had to actually fight a guy who would drop the key in the form of a pokéball.

Voltorb/Electrode look like pokéballs.

Voltorb and Electrode can use Selfdestruct or Explosion; exploding would shed light, causing the pokémon to faint and thus making them unable to experience growth while unconscious.

Blademaster
13th March 2006, 01:06 PM
(groans)

We're gonna be listing all 32 dozen known Pokemon at this rate...

I'm gonna say Suicune.

In Pokemon Crystal, you saw Suicune 3 times after unleashing it - once in the Tower, once on Cianwood Island, and once on the way to the 7th Gym. You don't see it again until you're able to capture it, I think...

I haven't played the GBA games in forever, so I can't recollect this one...

Suicune moves so fast, most people think it's an illusion, like Entei and Raikou. The key to Suicune is... um, I don't remember, but I know that you needed some special item in order to find it.

Suicune isn't available until after you beat the Elite Four, and after that, the game's toughest challenge awaits you...

Like starjake said, don't waste your Master Ball on this guy. It's tempting, but then when you go after the other Legendary Bird (Level 70, by the way), you're screwed.

Suicune has the power to purify water with its aura (shedded light), thus preventing pollution from spreading (growth avoids its bloom).

mr_pikachu
13th March 2006, 02:08 PM
Not bad guesses, but you're not really getting the intended meaning. Let's see if the third hint helps.

Incorrect Guesses (15):
1. Haunter
2. Gengar
3. Metagross
4. Sandshrew
5. Sandslash
6. Scyther
7. Groudon
8. Eevee
9. Vaporeon
10. Jirachi
11. Celebi
12. Ho-oh
13. Voltorb
14. Electrode
15. Suicune

Hints (3):
3. The last line is a reference to a Pokedex entry.

Blademaster
13th March 2006, 03:19 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

I think I've got it.

It's Wobbuffet.

In Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green, you have to win against all 3 of the games major quests before you can access Wobbuffet in the Cerulean Cave: Defeat Team Rocket, defeat the Elite Four, and conquer the Sevii Islands.

Wobbuffet is found in Cerulean Cave, which is blocked by some jerk until you finish everything lese in the game. Jerk...

In Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, Wobbuffet's baby form - Wynaut - can be found in abundance on Mirage Island; the key to accessing said island is a certain Pokemon (which I sadly don't know :p).

Picking a fight with a Wobbuffet for no reason is a bad idea. It can force you to battle it thanks to its Shadow Tag ability, it'll blast your own attacks back at you with Mirror Coat and Counter, it can shake off Burns, Poison, etc. with Safeguard, and if you do manage to weaken it enough, it'll use Destiny Bond on you. The only safe way to beat it is to use a OHKO move on it...

Wobbuffet lives in dark caves so that its shadowy tail grows. A Wobbuffet's tail is as important to it as whiskey is to Ted Kennedy. :rolleyes:

mr_pikachu
13th March 2006, 03:25 PM
You're getting closer, but a few critical points are still missing.

Incorrect Guesses (16):
1. Haunter
2. Gengar
3. Metagross
4. Sandshrew
5. Sandslash
6. Scyther
7. Groudon
8. Eevee
9. Vaporeon
10. Jirachi
11. Celebi
12. Ho-oh
13. Voltorb
14. Electrode
15. Suicune
16. Wobbuffet

Hints (3):

14th March 2006, 09:08 AM
I'll give a whack at it. Is it Cacnea?

This refers to the desert where Cacnea can be found in Ruby/Sapphire - blocked without sense is something like you can't enter without the Go-goggles, so it's kinda inaccessible to you.. Victor thrice might refer to your rival(whom you fought and won against so you are the victor? but i think you only fought her twice before but heck, you're the victor thrice since she decided to be nice and give the googles to you)

This thing might refer to the next set of gym battles that you will meet in the future after you get out of the desert - in Norman's gym if you try to burn/paralyze or whatever the pokemon, they will use the attack facade on you, which is bad, hence the "Beware thy future"

"Cacnea live in deserts with virtually no rainfall. It battles by swinging its thick, spiked arms. Once a year, a yellow flower blooms." And in another pokedex entry it says Cacnea's flower grows all the more fragrant in the worst conditions, so "Light sheds as growth avoids its bloom" - even though it's in the desert always out in the sunlight in terrible conditions, it "avoids" the bloom as the Cacnea still blooms beautiful fragrant flowers.

mr_pikachu
14th March 2006, 09:12 AM
You're getting closer in some areas, but farther off in others... three more guesses until hint #4.

Incorrect Guesses (17):
1. Haunter
2. Gengar
3. Metagross
4. Sandshrew
5. Sandslash
6. Scyther
7. Groudon
8. Eevee
9. Vaporeon
10. Jirachi
11. Celebi
12. Ho-oh
13. Voltorb
14. Electrode
15. Suicune
16. Wobbuffet
17. Cacnea

Hints (3):

14th March 2006, 09:25 AM
*digs out another answer* ^_^ (last guess before I go to sleep)
Is it Vigoroth/Slaking?

In Petalburg Gym, to get to Norman, you have to go through 9 rooms, but each row of rooms have the same Pokemon, and so there are three rows. After you beat these three rows then you get to Norman, so that's where the "Victor thrice" comes in. And the door has been blocked without sense, cos you have to go through all this trouble to get to him.

Like I said earlier, Norman's pokemon(in this case Vigoroth and Slaking) both know Facade.... so should you fight them, don't burn/paralyze/poison them or you're in trouble, so beware.

Obviously you need to use wisdom and strategy while fighting, cos those two Pokemon are irritating opponents. In the pokedex entry for Vigoroth: " It can't keep still because its blood boils with energy. It runs through the fields and mountains all day to calm itself. If it doesn't, it can't sleep at night."
maybe cos the Vigoroth needs to run around so much to release energy, shedding "light", used to describe energy, "as growth avoids its bloom" or else with too much energy it can't sleep.

=)

Yeah I know hint number 2 says no reference to a specific move, but oh well. =)

mr_pikachu
14th March 2006, 09:37 AM
Aaaaand you're getting colder...

Incorrect Guesses (19):
1. Haunter
2. Gengar
3. Metagross
4. Sandshrew
5. Sandslash
6. Scyther
7. Groudon
8. Eevee
9. Vaporeon
10. Jirachi
11. Celebi
12. Ho-oh
13. Voltorb
14. Electrode
15. Suicune
16. Wobbuffet
17. Cacnea
18. Vigoroth
19. Slaking

Hints (3):

Charizard04621
14th March 2006, 11:51 AM
Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite

At the Elite Four, to become the Champion, you must beat all four elites; after defeating three, the apparent final one approaches, and victory seems close at hand. The previously locked doors open as you defeat each elite.

In RBY, after beating Lance, you are supposed to be the Champion. However, your rival has already beaten you to it, and in order to become Champion, you must defeat him in an unexpected battle. If you didn't bother to potion up and revive pokémon used against Lance because you thought you'd already won, you might be in trouble against your rival.

Lance in RBY has Gyarados, Dragonair, Aerodactyl, and Dragonite. Dragonair is apparently able to control the weather according to the pokédex; its growth avoids its bloom because it is not fully evolved into Dragonite. Light sheds due to Dragonair's mastery over the weather.

mr_pikachu
14th March 2006, 11:58 AM
...You're still pretty far off the mark here. But it's time for the fourth hint, so that may aid you in your quest.

Incorrect Guesses (22):
1. Haunter
2. Gengar
3. Metagross
4. Sandshrew
5. Sandslash
6. Scyther
7. Groudon
8. Eevee
9. Vaporeon
10. Jirachi
11. Celebi
12. Ho-oh
13. Voltorb
14. Electrode
15. Suicune
16. Wobbuffet
17. Cacnea
18. Vigoroth
19. Slaking
20. Dratini
21. Dragonair
22. Dragonite

Hints (4):
4. What sort of mistake could you make in a battle that would screw up your entire strategy?

Blademaster
15th March 2006, 12:14 PM
(smacks forehead)

I can't believe it... the answer is so obvious...

It's Sudowoodo.

In G/S/C, Sudowoodo is a one-time Pokemon that you can't battle until after you beat the first 3 Gym Leaders.

Sudowoodo blocks the intersection at Route 36, initially stopping you from proceeding north to Ecruteak City.

As we have had burned into our memories by now, a facade is an illusion; Sudowoodo looks like and pretends to be a tree. The 'key' to battling/catching it is the Watering Can.

The single greatest mistake that could throw your whole strategy out the window is using the wrong attacks. Most Pokemon's types are given away by where they live (e.g., Pokemon in the Ice Path or Rock Tunnel), or by the Pokemon's appearance (the Hitmon's, Cyndaquil's line, Pidgey's line, and countless dozens of others). Sudowoodo looks like a tree, which leads many people to believe that it's a Grass type, weak against Fire, Poison, Ice, and Flying attacks. But Sudowoodo is actually a Rock type, strong against all those types! If you bring in the wrong team against Sudowoodo, it'll destroy you.

Sudowoodo pretends to be a tree, but it can be easily found out in the winter, since its leaves don't shed. Shedding leaves is part of growing, so when Sudowoodo doesn't, light is shedded on the idea that Sudowoodo isn't a tree after all.

mr_pikachu
16th March 2006, 12:10 AM
Very good! You hit the nail on the head, and for your efforts, you win a Sudowoodo figurine!

Charizard04621
16th March 2006, 04:34 PM
And the right to post the next riddle! Congratulations.

Ace64
16th March 2006, 04:56 PM
Way to go, Blade! You sure worked for this one...it had me stumped.

Blademaster
16th March 2006, 09:30 PM
Hooray, I won, I won!

(cuddles figurine; does very good Sudowoodo impersonation)

Shutow-ooto!!!!

(scratches back of head)

Thanks, guys! It just kinda came to me while I was trying to fall asleep; then it kept me up for an hour or so... :sweat:

So, I get to ask the next riddle, huh? Cool. Let's see here...

Oh, I've got a good one; I just hope it's not too easy...

I am a beast of burden.
An avatar of fear.
I walk my lonely path, and yet,
I kill so much each year.
I didn't ask for such a life -
It's just the way I am...
The superstitious aren't glad
That I am on the lam!
My dance of doom; my song of sorrow
Are those you should avoid.
Beware the wrath of my species
Or you shall be destroyed!

Good luck. :yes:

-Blademaster

Ace64
16th March 2006, 10:09 PM
Guess- Absol

I am a beast of burden.
An avatar of fear.
I walk my lonely path, and yet,
I kill so much each year.
Absol is a sign of disaster, appearing right before a catastrophe. For that reason, people begin to fear whenever he is near.

I didn't ask for such a life -
It's just the way I am...
The superstitious aren't glad
That I am on the lam!
Absol naturally senses changes in the earth and sky and predicts disaster. It's as much a part of its nature as breathing is. Therefore, people are glad when they aren't around, because they know they are safe.

My dance of doom; my song of sorrow
Are those you should avoid.
Absol learns Swords Dance and Perish Song, two formidable moves.

Beware the wrath of my species
Or you shall be destroyed!
Er..referring to its battle prowess?

Blademaster
17th March 2006, 12:14 PM
(groans)

I knew it was too easy... :sweat:

Good work, Ace. You win an Absol figurine, as well as the right to post the next riddle!

Congratulations! :yes:

Ace64
17th March 2006, 08:45 PM
Hmm...How do people come up with these things?

Who am I? What is my identity?
Never to reach a higher state of mind
I excel when the odds are higher,
yet when the rewards are lower.
Who am I without my partner?
A shade, a fraction, split.
Watching another fight gives me a thrill,
But where are my challenges?Instead of you
and him, why not just "me?"
Will I ever find my own place?

mr_pikachu
18th March 2006, 12:01 AM
Hmm... I'll try Plusle/Minun/Ninjask.

Who am I? What is my identity?

Plusle and Minun are practically copies of each other (and somewhat of Pikachu). They never really make a name for themselves because there are other Pokemon that are extremely similar to them. Ninjask is the evolution of a Nincada, which also results in a Shedinja joining your party. It's difficult to say which is the real evolved form of Nincada, since both Pokemon are formed in that event.

Never to reach a higher state of mind

Um... Plusle and Minun can use Charm, which isn't a very enlightened way to battle, I guess. And Ninjask is a tough Pokemon to train because it cries loudly if it's trained improperly, so I guess it's immature. And, uh... none of them can learn Calm Mind. Yeah.

I excel when the odds are higher,
yet when the rewards are lower.

Double battles can be tough, but Plusle and Minun specialize in them. However, double battles usually don't have very big rewards, as most of the major battles in RSE are single battles. Ninjask is good for battles when you need an edge to beat an opponent (powering up and using Baton Pass), but it takes a beating in the process, which isn't very rewarding for it.

Who am I without my partner?
A shade, a fraction, split.

Plusle and Minun are pitiful unless they're together in battle. Ninjask also isn't very useful unless you have another Pokemon to make use of the Baton Pass.

Watching another fight gives me a thrill,
But where are my challenges?Instead of you
and him, why not just "me?"

All three Pokemon aren't very good at battling on their own. Plusle and Minun need to be together to stand a chance, and Ninjask is best for powering up and then giving its strength to its teammates.

Will I ever find my own place?

Again, none of these Pokemon are good when battling alone.

Ace64
18th March 2006, 08:24 AM
Congratulations, Mr_Pikachu, Plusle was the right answer...
and that's the last time I'll use a randomizer to pick a subject for the next riddle...
A Plusle figurine is yours, and the privilege to the next riddle.

*cringes in fear of pikachu uber-hard riddle skillz*

mr_pikachu
18th March 2006, 08:48 AM
Ah, thanks for the figurine, Ace!

Yeah, using a randomizer to pick the Pokemon can be tough. I try do that, although it makes creating the riddle difficult. You did a pretty good job with yours, though. It was harder than you think.

And hopefully this next riddle won't be quite as challenging as you seem to expect... ^_^;;

What is the cost of a foolhardy goal?
To dream is to want what is beyond your whole.
When troubling yourself, you can become unkind;
This awful behavior just batters the mind.
And just as the dream seems to be near at last,
You’ve turned the wrong way, and you’re back in the past.
Do not lose your faith, or all will be for naught.
With your fighting spirit, you’ll claim what you’ve sought.

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Hints (0):

Ace64
18th March 2006, 09:13 AM
Hmm...I'm going with Bagon.

Bagon dreams to one day fly in the sky.But you can't do what you weren't born with.[i]

[i]It is said that Bagon throws itself from great heights in its efforts to fly. Its rock hard skull developed from the constant smashing.

When Bagon evolves, it turns into Shelgon, which is as far as one could get from flying. Shelgon is essentially, a cocoon, and very heavy.

Yet, in the end, that cocoon will break, resulting in a high-flying Salamence. This can only happen if Bagon keeps his fighting spirit, i.e., he keeps battling on.

starjake
18th March 2006, 09:29 AM
Hmm...Bagon?

A headache. The 'foolhardy goal' in question would be the ability to fly. Bagon continually throws itself over cliffs, somehow believing it will gain wings.

Not only is this a true statement in real life, but Bagon dreams for wings; something that is quite "beyond his whole".

A reference to its inborn Rage ability, perhaps?

One pokedex description tells of Bagon venting its frustration by slamming its head into rocks. Quite mind-battering.

Bagon: "Finally! I'm evolving! Now I'll have..."

"...a shell? Aw, man..." Instead of wings, Bagon's evolution finds itself just as landbound.

Shelgon must wait 20 levels before it evolves into Salamence; only then will it gain the wings it's always wanted.

EDIT: What? I finally get one of mr pikachu's crazy riddles, and I'm beaten to the punch? ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

mr_pikachu
18th March 2006, 09:46 AM
*blinks*

25 minutes, 8 seconds. 1 guess.

What the hell is going on here?

I'll have to check the archives to see if anyone has EVER gotten a riddle this fast before. Great job, Ace. You win a Bagon figurine!

And starjake, I know how you feel. I've been edged out a few times in both this game and Hangman. It's frustrating, but maybe next time you'll win the race to the figurine.

Anyway, Ace, it's your turn!

P.S. Your explanations were so correct that it would have been pointless to have posted my reasons. Really, the only thing that I could even begin to argue was missed was the "back in the past" part; the shell is a cocoon, like you mentioned, and cocoons as middle evolutions have been around since RBY.

Blademaster
25th March 2006, 12:47 PM
OK, it's been more than 5 days - I call dibs on the next riddle! :biggrin:

Ace64
25th March 2006, 02:31 PM
Hmm...the site's been out for about five days...but in this case, go ahead.I'm a little busy at the moment...

Blademaster
25th March 2006, 08:47 PM
Heh heh heh... I was kinda just joking, Ace, hence the ':biggrin:,' but if you say it's OK...

I WAS DENIED A PLACE IN THE APRIL CONTEST; I DESERVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!1!1!1!!oneoneoneshift

OK, I feel better now. :p :wink:

Anyway, new riddle, here we go:

My loyalty is unquestionable.
My look is undeniable.
My power is incredible.
On all accounts, I'm liable,
For my trainer, for my heart...
For the light that I defend
For all that I hold dear to me
The violent will meet their end!

Good luck!

starjake
25th March 2006, 10:21 PM
And my guess is...Pikachu!

Most of these reasons come from the anime, but maybe that's what you were going for.

My loyalty is unquestionable
No matter what people try to do to brainwash Pikachu, he always ends up siding with Ash.

My look is undeniable
Pikachu has become the spokes-mouse for Pokémon; there's no one who doesn't recognize it.

My power is incredible
Does this really need explaining?

On all accounts, I'm liable
Well...Pikachu can be a little mischievous sometimes...

Pikachu's a good guy, and he protects his trainer and friends to the bitter end. As for the violent meeting their end...

TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAIN...

Blademaster
26th March 2006, 12:53 PM
:xd:

Good one, starjake! But not the right answer. Sorry.

My look is undeniable.
My power is incredible.

Wrong guesses: Pikachu

starjake
26th March 2006, 02:33 PM
Hm...maybe...Gardevoir?

My loyalty is unquestionable
Multiple pokedex entries say that it will give its life for its trainer. That's about as loyal as it gets.

My look is undeniable
Um...everyone knows what a Gardevoir looks like?

My power is incredible
Again, does this really need explanation? It's one of the stronger Psychic-Types.

On all accounts, I'm liable.
Perhaps this refers to its ability to predict the future and responsibilities that wielding such a power holds.

Again, the whole giving-life-to-defend-those-its-holds-dearest thing. Also, it's younger forms are said to gravitate towards trainers with positive emotions; that might be 'the light that [it] defend.'

Hatake Kakashi
26th March 2006, 04:53 PM
I say Wobuffet, although it's a bit of a strtch.
Wobuffet needs to evolve from Wynaut with Happiness(loyalty).
My look is undeniable.
You really can't say you don't know Wobuffet from other pokemon.
My power is incredible.
Psychic types are generally very "powerful"
He only directly damages the opponent(No poison, confusion, etc.)
Wobuffets trait used to be "Hates Shadows"
The violent will meet their end![/i]
The harder you fight, the harder Wobuffet fights back.

Blademaster
26th March 2006, 08:18 PM
(sighs)

Again, I've made my riddle too easy... :sweat:

starjake is right - Gardevoir's the answer.

Gardevoir would die for its trainer without a second thought. That's loyalty, if I do say so myself.

My look is undeniable.

A female Gardevoir is among the most beautiful of all Pokemon, resembling an angelic being, or even a goddess.

My power is incredible.

Gardevoir can create miniature black holes with it's psychic power - that's a LOT of mental energy!

'Liable' means 'responsible,' another reference to Gardevoir's undying loyalty towards it's trainer. Also, Gardevoir can only evolve to its final form if loved very much.

Fighters are generally very violent, and Psychic-types like Gardevoir destroy Fighting types.

(hands starjake a Gardevoir figure)

Good work, man.

Props to HK for that guess, too - better luck next time! :wink:

-Blade

starjake
26th March 2006, 10:26 PM
Wahoo! I'm special!

:cool2:

OK, now it's my turn...

I'm not ahead; I'm not behind
The middle's where I be.
And despite which way my head is turned
The former two I see.

I have a dark side to me,
e'en though daytime is my friend
The actions I do now
might not hit 'till the end.

Who am I? As it seems
that's up to you to guess
But who I really am
I know better than the rest.

Good luck!

Charizard04621
26th March 2006, 11:58 PM
Kadabra

The middle's where I be.
The former two I see.

Kadabra's the middle evolution - right between Abra and Alakazam.

Learns stuff like Shadow Ball and torment. It's a Psychic type.

The actions I do now

Future Sight.

Who am I? As it seems
But who I really am

Self-explanatory, obviously a pokémon knows who he is.

starjake
27th March 2006, 12:28 AM
Good guess!

Unfortunately, it's the wrong one.

Keep trying!

The middle's where I be.
The former two I see.

The actions I do now

Who am I? As it seems
But who I really am

Wrong Guesses: 1
Kadabra

Blademaster
27th March 2006, 02:52 PM
Is it Girafarig?

The middle's where I be.

Girafarig has two heads, one ahead and one behind - neither is both, so I'm assuming that the middle is logical (I don't know what I justsaid, either. :p).

The former two I see.

While one head sees forward, the other looks the other way - ahead and behind.

Girafarig's 'dark side' is its second head, which is dark-colored and dark in the sense of being mischievous. But, Girafarig is a giraffe nonetheless, and giraffes are diurnal.

The actions I do now

On the anime, Girafarig knew Future Sight, and in the game, Girafarig can learn said move through breeding.

Who am I? As it seems

It may be difficult to determine which is Girafarig's true head...

But who I really am

...But Girafarig knows, since its second 'head,' in truth, is missing a brain.

starjake
27th March 2006, 04:41 PM
*insert loud buzzer sound here*

*pleasant mechanical voice*
We're sorry, but the name you entered is incorrect. Please try again later.
*/pleasant mechanical voice*

The middle's where I be.
The former two I see.

The actions I do now

Who am I? As it seems
But who I really am

Wrong Guesses: 2
Kadabra
Girafarig

mr_pikachu
27th March 2006, 11:31 PM
Hmm. On a hunch, Eevee/Espeon/Flareon.

The middle's where I be.

Hmm. Well, any of these Pokemon could get into the fray of a battle, I suppose. Eevee's a pretty cunning Pokemon with many possibilities, especially in the Toshihiro Ono manga where it defeated a Jolteon with the aid of a surprise TM. Espeon can sense what's going on around it, so it could avoid damage that way. And Flareon could roast any close attackers while powering up if a distant opponent was foolish enough to launch a Fire attack.

The former two I see.

"Ahead" and "behind" could refer to Espeon (signifies daylight, which is earlier, so maybe it's "ahead"?) and Umbreon (could be "behind" for similar reasons). Eevee has the potential to evolve into either, so even when it's one time of day or the other, it "sees" both possible evolutions. Espeon can sense the air currents around it even if its head isn't turned in that direction. And Flareon learns Detect, which allows it to dodge attacks (presumably by sensing them even if it doesn't have its head turned to look at them).

Flareon and Espeon both have moves that benefit from the sunlight, and Eevee is a cute Pokemon that is usually seen in the sunlight on the anime. However, all three Pokemon can learn Shadow Ball and Bite, which are Ghost and Dark attacks, respectively.

The actions I do now

All of these Pokemon can learn Wish, Dig, Skull Bash, and Rage, which reach their full effectiveness after they are initially used. Flareon also learns Fire Spin, and Espeon learns Future Sight.

Who am I? As it seems
But who I really am

Eevee can evolve into many different forms, so it's a guessing game as to what form it will eventually become. Also, all three Pokemon know Double Team, which creates nearly indistinguishable copies of the user. That would make it difficult to determine who the real Pokemon is.

starjake
28th March 2006, 07:11 AM
Clever guesses, to be sure. But, still, none of them are what I had in mind. Perhaps a hint is in order.

The middle's where I be.
The former two I see.

The actions I do now

Who am I? As it seems
But who I really am

Wrong Guesses: 5
Kadabra
Girafarig
Eevee
Espeon
Flareon

Hints:
1. The last two lines refer to a PokéDex entry.

28th March 2006, 07:57 AM
might it be Exeggcute/Exeggutor?

The middle's where I be.
The former two I see.
erm the exeggutor has three heads, so whichever head turns, it looks at the other two, and which head is actually the "main" head or the "head that faces" forward is questionable so a head is always considered a middle one, so it's not ahead and not behind. Exeggcute has many many heads?

The actions I do now
Dark side might refer to their psychic abilities, but they are also a plant pokemon, that needs sunlight, hence daylight being its friend. Erm, both pokemon learn Uproar, that causes damage for 2-5 turns and prevents sleep?

Who am I? As it seems
But who I really am
in one Pokedex, the description goes: "even though it appears to be eggs of some sort, it was discovered to be a life-form more like plant seeds." so people guess that that Exeggcute looks like eggs.
in the case of its evolution, "It is called "The Walking Tropical Rainforest." Each of the nuts has a face and a will of its own." so each head has its own individual thoughts etc, so no one can really tell what it is, and only the exeggutor really knows itself.

starjake
28th March 2006, 08:02 AM
Hmm...it appears I need to work on my riddling skills...the answers y'all are giving make sense, but they're still not the answer I'm thinking of.

The middle's where I be.
The former two I see.

The actions I do now

Who am I? As it seems
But who I really am

Wrong Guesses: 7
Kadabra
Girafarig
Eevee
Espeon
Flareon
Exeggcute
Exeggutor

Hints:

starjake
30th March 2006, 09:31 PM
Um...hello?

I don't wanna be known as the guy-who-killed-the-riddle-thread. Anyone else have a guess?

Blademaster
31st March 2006, 04:26 PM
No, starjake, your an evil, evil man and your riddle is too hard - you've chased everyone away. Congratulations.

:rotfl:

starjake
3rd April 2006, 11:58 AM
Well, whatever the case, the rules state that you have until the12th of April to make a guess.

I'll give y'all another hint. There's one aspect of the riddle that no one has accurately interpreted. Get that part right, and the rest is obvious.

mr_pikachu
7th April 2006, 03:20 AM
Don't worry. It sometimes takes a bit of time for people to come up with guesses, but that doesn't mean we're even thinking about letting the game die.

Anyway, I'll try Haunter/Gengar/Banette.

The middle's where I be.
The former two I see.

Well, Haunter and Gengar have the ability to hide in the shadows of people and in the darkness, oftentimes when waiting to lay a curse on them (or simply to frighten them). When they do this, they can see both the head and the behind of their target. In Banette's case, it knows about its tormented past, and it can use Mimic, which allows it to copy its opponent, who is presumably in front of it. Or something. :P

Haunter and Gengar can use Dark attacks, but they live in shadows. And there can be no shadows without a light to cast upon some object. Banette can use Sunny Day, but it hides a troubled past.

The actions I do now

All three of these Pokemon can learn Destiny Bond, which automatically knocks out any Pokemon that it "hits" after three turns pass. This would be the end of the battle.

Who am I? As it seems
But who I really am

Haunter and Gengar are mysterious beings - Haunter is said to be from another dimension, while Gengar can mimic the shadows of people. The identities of both of these Pokemon are therefore difficult to discern. Banette supposedly formed from a forgotten plush doll - since it was forgotten, no one besides itself knows what it really is.

Green_Pikachu
7th April 2006, 11:22 AM
The middle's where I be.
The former two I see.

well, this leads me to believe that this is a middle evo of a pokemon.

The actions I do now

this is weird. at least, the first party. this pokemon has to be a ghost/dark/psychic. or be a dual type that is one of those. and the last refers to moves like future sight and stuff.

Who am I? As it seems
But who I really am

this confirms the psychic possibility. im guessing....Kirlia?

starjake
7th April 2006, 03:34 PM
Hey people are back!

Back with wrong answers, bu then again I suppose every positive must have its negative.

I'll throw in another hint to help out a bit.

The middle's where I be.
The former two I see.

The actions I do now

Who am I? As it seems
But who I really am

Wrong Guesses: 11
Banette
Eevee
Espeon
Exeggcute
Exeggutor
Flareon
Gengar
Girafarig
Haunter
Kadabra
Kirlia

Hints: 2
2. The first stanza has nothing to do with a physical location.

Green_Pikachu
8th April 2006, 02:03 PM
something with three heads? dugtrio, dodrio? i dunno, this is lame. something tells me what when the answer comes out, it won't make any sense whatsoever.

starjake
8th April 2006, 03:31 PM
I'm not going to count either of those guesses as official since you didn't put any reasoning behind them. That also means I'm not saying whether either of them - or your theory in general - is right or wrong.

And, yes, this does make sense, especially when considering the second hint I gave.

mr_pikachu
17th April 2006, 02:54 AM
Hmm... this is a toughie. What about Marill/Slowbro?

The middle's where I be.

Marill is a middle evolution (between Azurill and Azumarill). Slowbro appears before Slowpoke and after Slowking in the Pokedex.

The former two I see.

...Well, Marill comes after both Azurill and Azurill alphabetically. Erm, and it's before both of them by Pokedex number. :P Slowbro can remember its former form as a Slowbro, and it probably has some knowledge of Slowking, which it could have become if the Shellder had bitten its head instead of its tail.

Slowbro can learn Nightmare and Shadow Ball, while Marill can learn Curse.

The actions I do now

Both Pokemon can learn Future Sight.

Who am I? As it seems
But who I really am

While Slowbro doesn't know (or appear to know) much, it probably knows its own identity well. Marill's evolved form, Azumarill, is naturally camouflaged in the water.

...Yeah, those aren't the best of guesses, but I figured I'd try anyway. Because frankly, I'm a little stumped at the moment.

starjake
17th April 2006, 03:41 AM
As interesting as those guesses are, they're still not right.

The middle's where I be.
The former two I see.

The actions I do now

Who am I? As it seems
But who I really am

Wrong Guesses: 13 (Lucky number!)
Banette
Eevee
Espeon
Exeggcute
Exeggutor
Flareon
Gengar
Girafarig
Haunter
Kadabra
Kirlia
Marill
Slowbro

Hints: 2
2. The first stanza has nothing to do with a physical location.

Bison Woes
30th April 2006, 02:52 PM
I don't know if the riddle is done with but may I venture a guess of Xatu?

The middle's where I be.
The former two I see.

Xatu is said to see the future and the past at once, putting him ahead of time but also behind it. No matter what, it always sees the future and past.

The actions I do now

It meditates during the day but even then, it forsees "horrible" experiences and is said to not move at all. Xatu can learn the move of Future Sight, which causes damage two turns after the move is played.

Who am I? As it seems
But who I really am

People do not know what Xatu is and guess it is from another world altogether. Xatu knows what and who it is and leaves people questioning its existence.

starjake
30th April 2006, 06:53 PM
We have a winner!

Yes, the answer was indeed Xatu, and for all the reasons Bison posted. 'Ahead' and 'behind' referred to the future and past, respectively. However, Xatu does not actually travel to those times - it merely sees them - so the 'middle' (i.e. present) is where it stays.

Bison is the proud owner of both the Xatu trophy and the privilege of posting the next riddle!

Bison Woes
30th April 2006, 07:06 PM
Yay! First Figurine!

Next Riddle:

Defiance streams through my blood
You are nothing more than a worm to me
I will stand my ground even against the flood
And charge into battle blindly.

A name fitting for any zephyr
I look inside of me for my strength
But when I’m empty, I wither
And stay away from enemies at great length.

mr_pikachu
1st May 2006, 03:47 PM
Hey, way to make a great first guess, Bison! Nicely done!

As for the new riddle, could it be Scyther?

Scyther certainly is a defiant Pokemon, and its ninja-like speed and power certainly give it that right.

Scyther is the Mantis Pokemon, and mantises (manti?) feed on other insects and invertebrae, such as worms.

Scyther can use Double Team to create the illusion that there are more of it than are really present. It also has the speed to defeat swarms of enemies without such illusions. According to the Crystal Pokedex, "It moves so fast that its opponent does not even know what knocked it down." Its Swarm ability also helps it to deal with fights when the odds are against it.

Again, it doesn't have to consider fighting too heavily, as its great skills make it difficult for any opponent to overcome.

Scyther is part-Flying, which is similar to the meaning of zephyr (wind). Also, one boss in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow uses long, sharp daggers to attack (which are similar to Scythers scythes), and can stop time for brief periods (which resembles the effects of Scyther's unbelievable speed).

Scyther moves like a ninja, and ninjas must be strong and independant, almost by definition. Also, its ability of Swarm helps it strengthen itself when it is low on HP.

Well, when Scyther runs out of HP, it can no longer battle...

Again, it can't fight its enemies when its HP reaches zero, despite the ability of Swarm.

Bison Woes
1st May 2006, 05:43 PM
Nope, sorry. It's not Scyther.

Incorrect Guesses:
1. Scyther

Blademaster
1st May 2006, 09:54 PM
This may be a bit obvious, but is it Suicune?

Suicune is a Legendary Pokemon; it cannot be tamed in the anime, and it's almost impossible to catch in the game. It likely would see humans and most other Pokemon as worms - insignificant creatures it could crush with a flick of its paw.

Suicune is a Water Pokemon of immense power - it stands to reason that it could resist a flood, since it's the one that'd usually cause the flood.

Suicune's position in the video games is almost random - you never know when you're gonna run into it, and likely it never knows when it'll run into you.

A 'zephyr' is another name for a wind spirit, or the wind in general, which Suicune is said to be the spirit of; Suicune's name does hold certain significance when compared to 'wind god.'

Suicune uses attacks like Aurora Beam, Hydro Pump, and Mist, all of which emanate from within it. Also, Suicune can purify water - a great hidden power that is unknown at first glance.

Suicune is almost like an embodiment of water - if Suicune is dried out, like any othe creature, it'd shrivel up and be crippled. Also, this could be a reference to the fact that Suicune likes to avoid battling whenever possible and retreats from most opponents.

mr_pikachu
1st May 2006, 10:00 PM
I rather hope it isn't, because if it is Suicune, we'll have to void the riddle (and thus the figurine as well)...

Occasionally a worker, (and only a worker) will give out a legendary or special figurine. [...]

For future reference, legendary pokemon include Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, and Deoxys.

Bison Woes
1st May 2006, 10:09 PM
Fear not, it isn't Suicune. Should that count as an official guess though?

Incorrect Guesses:
1. Scyther

mr_pikachu
1st May 2006, 10:19 PM
...I don't think it needs to be counted. After all, it couldn't legally be the answer, much in the same way that "Apple" couldn't be the answer to any riddle. Although that guess would get someone in trouble for spamming, while "Suicune" certainly wouldn't. ^_^;

mr_pikachu
2nd May 2006, 03:40 AM
RULES UPDATE

Upon further consideration, Karin (Charizard04621) and I have decided to add Regirock, Regice, and Registeel to the legendary list for this game. This means that, along with all the other legendaries, only workers may post riddles with these Pokemon as the solution.

Bison Woes
5th May 2006, 05:26 PM
Since no one's guessed in a while, how about a clue?

Clues:
1. The last two lines deal with a PokeDex entry

Incorrect Guesses:
1. Scyther

mr_pikachu
5th May 2006, 09:51 PM
Hey, I just had a thought... what about Zangoose?

Zangoose and Seviper have been enemies for generations, and they battle with each other constantly (so, they "defy" each other). Seviper is a snake, which is somewhat similar to a worm; therefore, it is nothing more than a worm to Zangoose. (That's also an expression of disgust, which could come from Zangoose's natural hatred of Seviper.)

Hmm... in the anime, Zangoose refused to back down against Seviper, even when it was recovering from serious injuries. The "flood" could mean the poison that was rushing through its veins thanks to Seviper's Poison Tail, or it could mean the river that washed it away (if I remember correctly, Seviper knocked it into one).

Um... zephyr and Zangoose both start with a Z? :P According to the Ruby Pokedex, "Memories of battling its arch-rival SEVIPER are etched into every cell of ZANGOOSE's body." This could be what is meant by the strength inside. Also, Zangoose can learn Strength via HM.

Well, when its HP hits zero, the HP bar is empty. >_> Seviper is an enemy of "great length," as its form is that of a snake. Zangoose "adroitly dodges attacks," according to the Sapphire Pokedex, so that could be how it stays away from its lengthy foe.

...That guess sounded better in my head than it looks here, but I'll try it nonetheless.

Bison Woes
5th May 2006, 09:55 PM
Sorry, not Zangoose either.

Clues:

Incorrect Guesses:
1. Scyther
2. Zangoose

Bison Woes
10th May 2006, 06:39 PM
I think it's time for another clue...

Clues:
2. The entire first stanza deals with an Ability (i.e. Serene Grace, Hustle, Keen Eye, etc.)

Incorrect Guesses:
1. Scyther
2. Zangoose

mr_pikachu
11th May 2006, 02:34 AM
Am I the only one who's going to guess here? Come on!

Anyway, let's try Krabby/Kingler/Gorebyss.

Krabby and Kingler have the Hyper Cutter ability, which makes them defiant enough to never have their Attack lowered. Gorebyss is very cruel, and according to the Sapphire Pokedex, it actually sucks the body fluids out of its prey (hence them being "nothing more than a worm" to it).

Gorebyss is strengthened by the "flood" thanks to Swift Swim, whereas Hyper Cutter allows Krabby and Kingler to endure stat reduction attacks from opponents, which means they can charge into battle without fear. Also, all three Pokemon are Water types, which helps them to deal with the literal "flood."

I'm still clueless about the zephyr, but Krabby and Kingler are crabs, which means their true bodies are inside their shells. For Gorebyss, the inner strength could be the pearl of Clamperl, the Pokemon from which it evolves.

Krabby, Kingler, and the aforementioned Clamperl (the early form of Gorebyss) all live inside shells. When those shells are empty, they are hardly capable of battling.

Bison Woes
11th May 2006, 05:09 PM
Sorry, not any of those either, mr_pikachu. You were closer with the Scyther guess for the zephyr part though...

Clues:
2. The entire first stanza deals with an Ability (i.e. Serene Grace, Hustle, Keen Eye, etc.)

Incorrect Guesses:
1. Scyther
2. Zangoose
3. Krabby
4. Kingler
5. Gorebyss

Bison Woes
16th May 2006, 07:10 PM
Aw, why won't anyone else play?

Here's another clue...

Clues:
3. Zephyr deals with a Flying type

Incorrect Guesses:
1. Scyther
2. Zangoose
3. Krabby
4. Kingler
5. Gorebyss

pokemon4eva
16th May 2006, 08:57 PM
Could it be Farfetch'd or Delibird

Farfetch'd Shows Defiance and never treats things well and ducks have water run off them and ducks are near sighted, Delibird is a delivery pokemon so delivery copines say 'though the flood, blah blah blah we will dekiver you packedge and it's attacks show Defiance and deliverer's dont make connections with people.

I dont know what that means!

Delibird can rise its attack with his attacks
Farfetch'd Has a special equip item thats rise's its atk power

If Delibird has no presents he withers
-and-
Farfetch'd is a easly scared pokemon who would hide.

Bison Woes
16th May 2006, 09:22 PM
Close but no to both of them, pokemon4eva. Sorry.

Clues:

Incorrect Guesses:
1. Scyther
2. Zangoose
3. Krabby
4. Kingler
5. Gorebyss
6. Farfetch'd
7. Delibird

mr_pikachu
16th May 2006, 10:48 PM
Hey... could it be Zubat/Golbat/Crobat?

This evolution line is (obviously) composed of bats; many species of bats suck the blood of others (and I'd bet they wouldn't want their blood drained, which also explains the defiance). If I recall correctly, many worms don't have eyes... so they are "blind as a bat," so to speak.

The "flood" could refer to the flood of sonar waves that these Pokemon use to sense objects. And they charge into battle blindly because, well, bats are blind.

The three Pokemon are Flying types, and they all hold the ability of Inner Focus.

These three Pokemon all need to fill themselves with blood in order to have enough energy to fly. When they're empty, they are much weaker.

Bison Woes
16th May 2006, 11:06 PM
Sorry, mr_pikachu. None of them are right. But the last lines are very close.

Clues:

Incorrect Guesses:
1. Scyther
2. Zangoose
3. Krabby
4. Kingler
5. Gorebyss
6. Farfetch'd
7. Delibird
8. Zubat
9. Golbat
10. Crobat

mr_pikachu
16th May 2006, 11:40 PM
What about Gyarados/Wingull/Pelipper, then?

Gyarados is one of the most defiant Pokemon in existance, and its Intimidate ability is evidence of this. Wingull and Pelipper are birds, and many species of birds feed upon worms; their Keen Eye helps them to find such small creatures.

All of these Pokemon are Water types (hence the "flood"). Gyarados is more than willing to wage war, and Wingull and Pelipper can be raised into fairly strong Pokemon who are quite capable of battling well.

All three Pokemon are also flying types. Gyarados' "strength" is its volatile temper. Food makes most Pokemon strong, and Wingull and Pelipper carry their food in their beaks (and can also use them for some battle strategies, like the Stockpile/Swallow/Spit Up combo).

Once Gyarados' anger ceases, it's not as fearsome of an opponent. The same goes for Wingull and Pelipper in regard to their stored resources, as its hard to battle well if you're hungry. ^_^

EDIT: Whoops, accidentally used bold tags instead of italics.

Bison Woes
17th May 2006, 06:03 AM
Kind of getting closer but the last lines, you're getting very close.

Clues:

Incorrect Guesses:
1. Scyther
2. Zangoose
3. Krabby
4. Kingler
5. Gorebyss
6. Farfetch'd
7. Delibird
8. Zubat
9. Golbat
10. Crobat
11. Gyarados
12. Wingull
13. Pelipper

pokemon4eva
17th May 2006, 04:45 PM
How bout Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff

Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff all have the move groth that attaches a plant pokemon to the ground (i.e. I will stand my ground even against the flood) and lowers Accuracy and stregnthens Sp. Attack (i.e. And charge into battle blindly) and sience they're ggrass and flying pokemon they dont think much of worms (i.e. Defiance streams through my blood You are nothing more than a worm to me)

Zephr is a gentle wind and Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff fly with the gentlist of winds.

All 3 have attack rising attacks.

They are weak pokemon so they saty away and they are plants so If they arn't full they will leteraly wither

Bison Woes
17th May 2006, 05:07 PM
Getting a little too far away there, pokemon4eva.

Clues:

Incorrect Guesses:
1. Scyther
2. Zangoose
3. Krabby
4. Kingler
5. Gorebyss
6. Farfetch'd
7. Delibird
8. Zubat
9. Golbat
10. Crobat
11. Gyarados
12. Wingull
13. Pelipper
14. Hoppip
15. Skiploom
16. Jumpluff

The Blue Avenger
17th May 2006, 07:06 PM
How about... Togetic/Togepi?

Togetic has the Hustle ability, which causes it to charge into battle blindly. Additionally, it reduces the rate of wild encounters, hence "you are nothing more than a worm." Its other ability, Serene Grace, would help it withstand the flood, I guess, since the status effects it could inflict would weaken the foe.

Togetic's a Flying type, and it would look inside of itself for strength - it needs happiness to evolve from Togepi. However, when it isn't around kind people (which would be its driving force), it becomes dispirited - withered. Togetic's also not that strongest thing around, so it'd probably avoid enemies, especially when depressed.

Bison Woes
17th May 2006, 07:08 PM
Nope, not right either, TheBlueAvenger.

Clues:

Incorrect Guesses:
1. Scyther
2. Zangoose
3. Krabby
4. Kingler
5. Gorebyss
6. Farfetch'd
7. Delibird
8. Zubat
9. Golbat
10. Crobat
11. Gyarados
12. Wingull
13. Pelipper
14. Hoppip
15. Skiploom
16. Jumpluff
17. Togetic
18. Togepi

pokemon4eva
17th May 2006, 07:48 PM
How bout Swablu or Altaria

They both have the move (dont know the name kinda like somkescreen or is it mist or haze?) and the attack blinds the enemy and itself, and dragons are like the greatest creatures so they would treat the enemy like a worm, it isn't afected by water moves easliy so it could hold up to a flood

Zephyr means genly wind and so they look like gentle clouds and Altaria has rage so rage itcreses its stregnth with every blow

When its health is low its weak and it is a rare pokemon so it hides

Bison Woes
17th May 2006, 08:13 PM
Not Swablu or Altaria either but slightly closer...

Clues:
4. Was introduced in Hoenn

Incorrect Guesses:
1. Scyther
2. Zangoose
3. Krabby
4. Kingler
5. Gorebyss
6. Farfetch'd
7. Delibird
8. Zubat
9. Golbat
10. Crobat
11. Gyarados
12. Wingull
13. Pelipper
14. Hoppip
15. Skiploom
16. Jumpluff
17. Togetic
18. Togepi
19. Swablu
20. Altaria

Blademaster
17th May 2006, 08:22 PM
Hey...

Here's a possible guess.

Maybe it's Aerodactyl?

Aerodactyl has two Abilities: Rock Head and Pressure. The latter, Pressure, is a quality that makes Aerdactyl so spiteful, enemies actually lose the will to attack it multiple times.

The former Ability, Rock Head, is a power that shrugs off Recoil Damage from moves like Take Down, Double-Edge, Submission, etc. - therefore, it stands to reason that Aerodactyl would blindly rush into battle - what's it got to be afraid of when it can break boulders with its head?

Um, it flies; it's name is Aerodactyl - aero (Which is about as windy as you can get.) and pterodactyl (Probably the most famous flyer ever, save for the dragons...)

Aerodactyl was revived by combining dinosaur DNA with fossilized amber; DNA is inside of it, as is the Amber (I'd assume.) It could also be a reference to Aerodactyl's Focus Energy move.

Without its DNA or Amber, Aerodactyl can't really exist - it's extinct. Fossilized - its a hollow shell of bone and dust. Ergo, it is quite far away from any enemies, but in distance rather than time. Who's gonna attack you when you're 4 million years out of reach? No one, that's who...

...Except maybe a pissed-off Celebi. :p :eek:

Bison Woes
17th May 2006, 08:38 PM
Unfortunately, that guess doesn't follow the new clue, now bolded.

Clues:

Incorrect Guesses:
1. Scyther
2. Zangoose
3. Krabby
4. Kingler
5. Gorebyss
6. Farfetch'd
7. Delibird
8. Zubat
9. Golbat
10. Crobat
11. Gyarados
12. Wingull
13. Pelipper
14. Hoppip
15. Skiploom
16. Jumpluff
17. Togetic
18. Togepi
19. Swablu
20. Altaria
21. Aerodactyl

The Blue Avenger
17th May 2006, 08:38 PM
Hmmm... Bagon, Shellgon, or Salamence.

Defiance certainly streams through their blood; they're difficult to find and just as difficult to catch. Also, their Rock Head trait lets them charge into battle with no regrets. They can stand against the flood - water attacks - because they're dragons.

Bagon and Shelgon have the -gon suffix, denoting a dragon (or a zephyr) and Salamence is Flying. Bagon has to look inside for its strength - to evolve - but Shelgon starves itself to build strength and hides away in caves (stay away from enemies).

pokemon4eva
17th May 2006, 08:39 PM
Ninjask Tropius Salamence or Rayquaza

Ninjask is a ninja pokemon so defiance is right there with is Fake-out move
Tropiusis a heavy pokemon that could stand his ground aganst the flood with groth
Salamence is a scray pokemon that has the abilite to lower his opponerts attack
Rayquaza has a defence curl that will let him stand his ground aganst the flood.

Ninjask is a bug so his ability to fly depends on the wind
Tropiusis has leaf wings so it would offer a gentle breeze
Salamance and Rayquaza I can't explain with this

All of them are rare so they would hide, Salamance has rage so his strength will increse with every attack and when it can't use that attack it is weak, Rayquaza has moves that increse his attack and he has moves with little arsonal so he will quickly become empty, Ninjask has a move that also increses attack and he is a bug that will wither easily, Tropiusis growth increses his attack and a plant when empty will wither

pokemon4eva
17th May 2006, 08:40 PM
sry you typed the Bagon,etc right before me.

Bison Woes
17th May 2006, 09:07 PM
None are correct and, pokemon4eva, I'm not allowed to give out Legendary Figurines

Clues:

Incorrect Guesses:
1. Scyther
2. Zangoose
3. Krabby
4. Kingler
5. Gorebyss
6. Farfetch'd
7. Delibird
8. Zubat
9. Golbat
10. Crobat
11. Gyarados
12. Wingull
13. Pelipper
14. Hoppip
15. Skiploom
16. Jumpluff
17. Togetic
18. Togepi
19. Swablu
20. Altaria
21. Aerodactyl
22. Bagon
23. Shellgon
24. Salamence
25. Ninjask
26. Tropius

Well, there can't be many more left.

The Blue Avenger
17th May 2006, 09:12 PM
I've got it! Taillow or Swellow.

According to their Pokedex, they will couragiously stand their ground against any foe. Birds also eat worms, so that line's appropriate. They will also take on Pokemon much larger than themselves - hence defiance.

Their names have a lot to do with birds - tails, swallows, and so on. They look inside themselves for strength... attacks like Focus Energy, maybe? However, they cry loudly when they're hungry and its will weakens as a result.

pokemon4eva
17th May 2006, 09:19 PM
ok I got It Beautifly, and Masquerain

They are hard to find hench the great length
They are bugs so they use energey quick hench the wither part
They are affected by gentle winds hench the Zephyr
Thet both have sweet sent hench the defiance
and charge into battle blindly
and they have powerful wings hench the flood part

Bison Woes
17th May 2006, 09:22 PM
I've got it! Taillow or Swellow.

According to their Pokedex, they will couragiously stand their ground against any foe. Birds also eat worms, so that line's appropriate. They will also take on Pokemon much larger than themselves - hence defiance.

Their names have a lot to do with birds - tails, swallows, and so on. They look inside themselves for strength... attacks like Focus Energy, maybe? However, they cry loudly when they're hungry and its will weakens as a result.

DING DING DING!

It is, in fact, Taillow!

Taillow's PokeDex entry claims they are incredibly courageous and their Ability, Guts, also implies this. They eat Wurmple, which can be considered worms and look down upon opponents. They do not care who or what they attack and just go with the flow.

Taillow is a Flying-type Pokemon and a bird. Their Ability can also be used in the second line as they have 'guts' to look inside of (very bad pun, I'm sorry). However, their PokeDex entry also states that when they hungry, they weaken considerably.

Congratulations to TheBlueAvenger! *hands you a Taillow Figurine* It's now your turn!

The Blue Avenger
17th May 2006, 09:41 PM
Heh heh heh... thanks. *cracks knuckles* Now let's get to work!

Silence is golden, but in my case blue
You may not have found me, but I'm certainly not new
I'm energetic, so I'll see you later
Though if you pair me up, I might be a traitor.

As a character, though, you might call me flat
That hardly matters when I'm up to bat
I once could not keep you at bay
I'm strong enough now that I'll blow you away!

Ace64
17th May 2006, 09:51 PM

Wynaut/Wobbuffet

Both are blue, and not very vocal.
Wynaut are found only on Mirage Island, though Wobb is certainly rare.
In double battles, they could be seen as traitors, since they can only counterattack, never press the offensive: a useless partner, some would say.

In the anime, Wobb does little more than say his own name. He's a pretty static character. Yet, in the few battles he's fought, his abilities keep his opponents at bay- because he directs their attacks back at them.

Bison Woes
17th May 2006, 09:53 PM
Could this be Whismur, Loudred, or Exploud?

Loudred and Exploud are slightly blue in color but Whismur looks so sad all of the time. Whismur is also very quiet until it starts crying, which it then cries harder because the crying scares it. Loudred and Exploud are incredibly loud, making the 'silence is golden' null and void.

Whismur is incredibly rare so having a Loudred and Exploud is also rare.

They can be incredibly energetic, even Whismur which has one of the loudest voices.

All three of them could hurt its buddy in a 2-on-2 battles iwth its huge voice.

Their personalities really don't change much, making them a flat character in literary terms.

All three are powerful with their voices, making that they might not be able to control themselves or change also null and void.

People love Whismur like Clefairy and all the cutesies and wanted one for themselves.

Their voices can literally blow people away. And cause deafness but that's another story.

mr_pikachu
18th May 2006, 02:44 AM
Nice one, TBA! I completely missed that idea!

As for the new riddle, maybe it's a Mr. Mime?

Well, mimes are supposed to be silent, even if Mr. Mime isn't...

Mr. Mime has been around since RBY, but its extremely rare (and therefore hard to find).

I seem to recall an anime episode where Delia's Mr. Mime stopped a Team Rocket tank by speedily erecting a bunch of invisible walls around it. It definitely showed energy there, and it even got a Mr. Mime from the circus to stop being lazy.

Teammates need to work together, but it's hard to work with someone who won't talk (again, like a mime).

Mimes are rarely characters who you can explore in-depth.

Even though mimes don't talk, Mr. Mime can be a very strong battler when raised well.

In RBY, Mr. Mime doesn't learn any attacks naturally beyond Confusion and Doubleslap (although it could learn some defensive moves). With proper planning and training, however, it can be raised into a highly capable battler.

Blademaster
18th May 2006, 03:02 PM
(bangs head against desk)

I thought of Taillow so long ago! Why didn't I answer?!

(sighs)

I never saw how the 'empty/wither' and 'great length' parts fit in... Stupid me...

(ponders new riddle)

Hmmmmmmm...

Maybe it's Kingdra?

Kingdra sleeps at the bottom of the sea, where it builds up its energy. Because it spends so much time sleeping, it's naturally silent - and it's blue in color.

Kingdra evolves from Seadra, which has been around since the days of Pokemon Red and Blue. You only could never find it because there were no Dragon Scales in RBY.

Kingdra is quite the speedy Pokemon, learning moves like Agility and Dragon Dance, both of which can leave its enemies in the dust. Unfortunately, in a tag battle, Kingdra won't fare too well, since the only really offensive move it learns on its own is Hydro Pump. Also, if memory serves correctly, its Twister attack can damage its partner, though I'm not sure about that...

Kingdra almost never appears in the anime or the games, and when it does, it's not exactly an appealing Pokemon - it has a temper and it isn't as cute as it used to be.

When bred correctly and/or taught good TMs/HMs, Kingdra can truly be a potent fighter, and its only weakness is Dragon Pokemon, which its Ice attacks can blow away very easily.

No matter how you look at it, all Kingdras were once Horseas, one of the most weak and fragile Pokemon around, not even worth capturing to many; now, it's a Dragon hybrid that can create whirlpools just by yawning - not exactly the type of fishie you wanna be messing with. I've seen a LV38 Kingdra take down a LV47 Gyarados before... :eek:

The Blue Avenger
18th May 2006, 04:01 PM
Nope, sorry. Some of you were close with bits of the second stanza, though. Do i give hints at every ten guesses, or what?

1. Wynaut
2. Wobbuffet
3. Whismur
4. Loudred
5. Exploud
6. Mr. Mime
7. Kingdra

pokemon4eva
18th May 2006, 04:06 PM
First You may not have found me, but I'm certainly not new probably means not introduced in honnen and the blue thing in the first sanza means either a sad or a really blue pokemon.

mr_pikachu
18th May 2006, 04:06 PM
It's up to you as to how frequently you want to give hints. Some give them every ten guesses, some at every five, and others whenever they feel it's necessary.

pokemon4eva
18th May 2006, 04:16 PM
I got It Gyarados!

Gyarados is blue and it is hardly heard about

It is a rare find pokemon and is a hard race in the water and its attacks may hurt its teammate in 2 vs 2 battles

In real life it would be a flatworm and it once was magikarp a really weak pokemon and in the pokedex it says it could blow a village away.

The Blue Avenger
18th May 2006, 08:19 PM
You're kinda sorta close on a few of your points.

1. Wynaut
2. Wobbuffet
3. Whismur
4. Loudred
5. Exploud
6. Mr. Mime
7. Kingdra
8. Gyarados

Bison Woes
25th May 2006, 08:18 PM
How about Togepi/Togetic?

Togepi is quite silent, especially in the anime. It acnnot express itself well enough to communicate and is just a baby.

Togepi is quite rare in the game, making Togetic rare in all games. It's also not new as it was introduced early in the anime series.

Togepi is quite energetic as it wanders everywhere and Togetic seems to be fairly energetic as well.

Togepi and Togetic can learn Metronome, which can hurt its buddy in battle.

Togepi is just seen as something to provide comedy for a scene.

Metronome defeated a Rhydon or a Nidoking in the anime with one hit. Yeah, that's pretty powerful.

Quite a cutey so people fan over it.

Togetic's TM/HM moves are insanely powerful (Psychic, Focus Punch, Solarbeam, Fire Blast, etc.)

The Blue Avenger
25th May 2006, 08:30 PM
Good guesses, but no.

1. Wynaut
2. Wobbuffet
3. Whismur
4. Loudred
5. Exploud
6. Mr. Mime
7. Kingdra
8. Gyarados
9. Togepi
10: Togetic

Hint #1: One of the lines in the first stanza has to do with the Pokemon Trading Card Game.

mr_pikachu
8th June 2006, 03:38 AM
I go out of town for awhile and you guys let the inactivity reach 14 days? Come on, people!

I'll try Elekid/Electabuzz.

Electabuzz is yellow (very close to gold). Also, if I remember correctly, it was unobtainable in Pokemon Blue. Further, in total darkness, its entire body glows with a whitish-blue hue (according to the Gold Pokedex). The space between Elekid's horns also glows blue when it is charging electricity (Crystal Pokedex).

Electabuzz has been around since RBY, but it's extremely rare in pretty much all of the Pokemon games. Elekid shares a similar degree of rarity despite being around since GSC.

As Electric Pokemon, they are naturally very energetic and fast.

Electabuzz has a very angry personality, as was evidenced from that anime episode in which the two rival Gyms were fighting to win a place as an official Pokemon League Gym. And even if it can't help it, Elekid accidentally discharges all its electrical energy if it touches metal - so you don't want to team it up with a Steel Pokemon!

Electabuzz has appeared in very few anime episodes, and it usually does not play a major role other than to be an opponent. I don't know if Elekid has seen any screen time at all.

Hehe... if I'm interpreting this right, you're indirectly referring to Casey (from the Johto anime arc), who wanted to catch an Electabuzz. (The Electabuzz were also her favorite baseball team.) Elekid likely holds similar importance to Casey, as she could train it to its evolved form.

Elekid and Electabuzz are not the strongest of Pokemon, in many respects. The only evolution in the line is from the baby (Elekid) to the "adult" (Electabuzz). A low Defense also makes these Pokemon quite vulnerable.

However, their Special Attack is strong (which is to be expected for Electric Pokemon), and their Attack score is also surprisingly good. A few quick blows could take out some enemies before the weak Defense can be exploited.

The Blue Avenger
8th June 2006, 08:40 AM
Sorry, mr_pikachu, but those are incorrect. However, you're very close on several of your points.

1. Wynaut
2. Wobbuffet
3. Whismur
4. Loudred
5. Exploud
6. Mr. Mime
7. Kingdra
8. Gyarados
9. Togepi
10: Togetic
11: Elekid
12: Electabuzz

Hint #1: One of the lines in the first stanza has to do with the Pokemon Trading Card Game.

mr_pikachu
8th June 2006, 02:42 PM
I AM AN IDIOT.

As a TCG player myself, I should've gotten line three sooner...

(Yes, I'm that confident that I have at least that clue right this time. Watch me be wrong. Watch!)

Voltorb/Electrode.

Electrode and Voltorb can have the ability of Soundproof. Since they also use a lot of sound-based moves, opponents with that ability can be very troublesome. Also, both Pokemon lie in wait in power plants, camouflaging themselves and quietly awaiting any greedy trainers who may think them to be Pokeballs. Further, their shiny forms are white and blue, not white and red.

They are both pretty rare in RSE - I believe they can only be found in New Mauville. But like my previous guess of Electabuzz, both Pokemon have been around since RBY.

They're both extremely fast Pokemon, so they're very energetic and quick. Further, they are two of a very few Pokemon from RBY to appear in the Pokemon TCG set EX Emerald. Advertisements for this set claimed that it had "awesome energy."

These Pokemon practically have Explosion as their signature move. Since that damages all other Pokemon out, even teammates... well, the result is pretty obvious.

Voltorb and Electrode have not appeared frequently in the anime, and their defining character trait seems to be a propensity toward exploding.

As Electric Pokemon, they'd likely also be desired by Casey. Also, Electrode can be raised into a fairly good battler, thanks mostly to its titanic Speed stat.

They're not too strong early in the early levels, but when they learn Explosion, look out!

The Blue Avenger
9th June 2006, 10:02 AM
Congratulations, mr_pikachu, you've won an Electrode figurine!

They have Soundproof, and they are blue as shinies.

Electrode has been around since RBY, but is hard to find - in RBY, he can only be found in the wild in the Unknown Dungeon and as false items in the Power Plant.

One of Electrode's first appearances as a Pokemon card had the Pokemon Power Buzzap - which lets the player KO him (see you later) to provide energy.

KaBOOOM!

Another name for a flat character is a static character, and a possible ability for Electrode is Static.

They're ball-shaped Pokemon. What do you do with balls? You hit them with bats.

Voltorb's not terribly powerful.

Electrode's significantly stronger, and it blows up.

mr_pikachu
9th June 2006, 04:27 PM
Hey, thank you for the figurine, TBA! I still managed to get the TCG clue wrong, though... >_<;;;

Well, here's the next riddle. Good luck!

The secrets of a shattered mind
Leave little room for being kind
While following my tragic line
Revealed by just this strength of mine.
So if it’s me you want to find,
Trust skill or you’ll be left behind!

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Clues (0):

Blademaster
9th June 2006, 09:44 PM
(sigh)

I always wanna play this game, until I see the riddle and realize I have virtually no chance of getting it right... -_-'''

I'm gonna guess and say...

Marowak.

Marowak sometimes have the inborn ability of Rock Head, which negates recoil damage. But it must cause a mother of a headache at times...

Marowak is known as the Bonekeeper: a Pokemon crypt watcher. Not exactly the most social creature...

Marowak evolves from a Pokemon that wears its dead mother's skull and carries her femur as a weapon; Marowak itself eventually becomes the same thing. That... kinda sucks, honestly.

For a small Pokemon, Marowak is pretty tough - it learns few good attacks on its own, but TMs/HMs, Tutors, and Breeding can teach it a whole arsenal of attacks. Also, it draws power from its bone weapon.

So if it’s me you want to find,
Trust skill or you’ll be left behind!

Marowak are pretty rare; they can be found in the Safari Zone, I think, so you'd better be fast in catching one. This can also be a reference to the Marowak ghost in Pokemon Tower in RBY: you need to get the Silph Scope and unveil Marowak to beat her, or you'll never move ahead in the game (Hence the 'left behind' part.).

-Blade

mr_pikachu
10th June 2006, 10:57 PM
A good try, but I'm afraid you're somewhat off the mark. A few of your ideas may be closer than you think, though.

So if it's me you want to find,
Trust skill or you'll be left behind!

Incorrect Guesses (1):
1. Marowak

Clues (0):

Ace64
11th June 2006, 12:31 AM
Hmm...how about Kingdra/Slowking?

Slowking's prior evolutions aren't known for their quick thinking. Slowking's exterior appearance makes one think at first glance that it is just as dim-witted as Slowpoke/bro. Thus, one may be inclined to feel a bit scornful. Can't think how this applies to Kingdra, though...

When I think of a line, I thought of kings. Kingdras cause tragedy just by their appearance- storms, cyclones, and whirlpools. It's great strength is too much for the natural world. Slowking's strength is it's surpreme intelligence, which came about as a result of a 'tragedy'- being bitten by a Shellder.

Both Pokemon evolve by unconventional means- trading. It will take skill to find the items required to evolve them, as well as train them.

mr_pikachu
12th June 2006, 01:26 AM
Okay, the guess of Slowking is incorrect. As for your guess of Kingdra, I had to look back at the rules to make sure I was judging this correctly... Unfortunately, since less than 3/4 of the lines had a reason given for Kingdra, I cannot count that guess.

By the way, I think I know where the confusion lies about that. See, in the normal Riddle Game, reasons must be given for at least 3/4 of the lines for any guess. During the Riddle Game Championship, we required that same limit, except with the requirement rounded down in the event that the number of lines was not a multiple of four. For instance, this riddle would have required an explanation for only four lines in that event. But during the regular Riddle Game, each guess for a six-line riddle must have an explanation for at least five lines, because the requirement is rounded up.

Here's the math behind it...

[# of lines in the riddle] * (3/4) = [# of lines that must be explained]

In this case...

6 * (3/4) = 4.5, which is rounded up to 5 (since you can't really explain half of a line).

Anyway, it's certainly not a big deal, but I still can't give any information about the validity of that guess.

Incorrect Guesses (2):
1. Marowak
2. Slowking

Clues (0):

Blademaster
12th June 2006, 02:37 PM
Perhaps this might be... Bagon?

Bagon throws itself from cliffs trying to fly, and it usually lands on its head. You wouldn't be too mindful after that, either.

Bagon is a Dragon Pokemon; dragons aren't usually described as friendly creatures.

Bagon dreams of flying, so it leaps from cliffs; then, when it finally evolves, thinking it'll grow its wings... it becomes a cocoon, and it takes forever to hatch...

Dragon Pokemon are traditionally pretty powerful creatures; if you can survive jumping off a cliff on a regular basis, you've gotta be pretty tough.

In RSE, Bagon could only be found deep inside Mt. Meteor, where you couldn't reach it without beating all 8 Gym Leaders, getting the Waterfall HM, and going back to the mountain to whoop some tough trainers and equally tough wild Pokemon.

Ace64
12th June 2006, 04:59 PM
Ok, here's the rest for Kingdra...

Slowking's prior evolutions aren't known for their quick thinking. Slowking's exterior appearance makes one think at first glance that it is just as dim-witted as Slowpoke/bro. Thus, one may be inclined to feel a bit scornful. Perhaps for Kingdra's case, the 'shattering' is caused by the new evolution from a previous 2nd stage Pokemon, Seadra. New power comes with its evolution, and because of their strength, they...become crueler? Bleh.

When I think of a line, I thought of kings. Kingdras cause tragedy just by their appearance- storms, cyclones, and whirlpools. It's great strength is too much for the natural world. Slowking's strength is it's surpreme intelligence, which came about as a result of a 'tragedy'- being bitten by a Shellder.

Both Pokemon evolve by unconventional means- trading. It will take skill to find the items required to evolve them, as well as train them.

mr_pikachu
12th June 2006, 07:39 PM
Aaaaand... both guesses are wrong. But good tries, though!

Incorrect Guesses (4):
1. Marowak
2. Slowking
3. Bagon
4. Kingdra

Clues (0):

One more guess until the first clue.

Crazy Elf Boy
13th June 2006, 04:44 AM
Would it be Mewtwo

In the first pokemon movie Mewtwo doesn't know who he is

Mewtwo is a very evil pokemon

Mewtwo wants to destory all humans beacuase they made him for experimentation and now he can because he had learnt how to use his powers

And the only way to get mewtwo is defeat the elite four and go into the unknown dungeon which you need strong pokemon for and skill

mr_pikachu
13th June 2006, 04:50 AM
Sorry, but I'm afraid that's not it. Hopefully a clue will help.

Incorrect Guesses (5):
1. Marowak
2. Slowking
3. Bagon
4. Kingdra
5. Mewtwo

Clues (1):
1. The "line" mentioned in Line 3 is not metaphorical.

Blademaster
7th July 2006, 05:46 PM
Hey, I don't want this game to die! Where'd everyone go? :confused:

Well, if no one else has a guess, then I'll say... Gyarados.

It's said that when Magikarp evolves, its brain cells change radically, thus 'shattering its mind' and becoming much more dangerous (and, ergo, less kind).

Magikarp is a somewhat cute and lovable Pokemon, but it's the weakest Pokemon on Earth. On the other hand, it becomes incredibly strong when it evolves, but it also becomes much nastier - both in appearance and temperment.

You don't really have to look too hard for a Gyarados - they can be found almost anywhere. But you need a Super Rod to snag one, a tough Pokemon to battle one, and a strong Pokeball to catch one.

-Blade

mr_pikachu
11th July 2006, 03:11 PM
Well, thanks to numerous problems with my net connection, I haven't been here to post the riddle out. Since it was never revealed, and since you took the initiative to make a guess, I'll go ahead and count it toward the puzzle.

However... the guess is incorrect. I suppose that since it has now been less than two weeks since the last guess, the puzzle should still be active. So I'll leave it here, at least for the time being.

Incorrect Guesses (6):
1. Marowak
2. Slowking
3. Bagon
4. Kingdra
5. Mewtwo
6. Gyarados

Clues (1):

C'mon, everyone! Make some more guesses!

The Blue Avenger
15th July 2006, 11:44 PM
This is probably really off-base, but... Smeargle?

(Many artists were, uhm, mentally warped. Is Smeargle the same way?)

(Pokemon battles in general aren't very kind, and Smeargle with access to every attack can be rather brutal.)

(I would imagine that it could paint lines.)

(Again, Sketch lets it have every attack - a formidable power.)

(It's rare.)

(You find it behind the Ruins of Alph.)

Everoy
17th July 2006, 12:07 PM
Wow, this is still alive? *feels special*

I agree with it being Smeargle, lol.

mr_pikachu
18th July 2006, 10:50 AM
Agreement or not, Smeargle is not what I'm looking for. Good try, though; one of your ideas was fairly close, actually.

Incorrect Guesses (7):
1. Marowak
2. Slowking
3. Bagon
4. Kingdra
5. Mewtwo
6. Gyarados
7. Smeargle

Clues (1):

The next hint will come in just three more guesses...

Everoy
18th July 2006, 12:19 PM
Hmm... Natu or Xatu?

Psychic type
Um... Natu is small?
Uh... I dunno.
They're semi-strong...
Behind Ruins of Alph.

mr_pikachu
18th July 2006, 12:31 PM
Interesting ideas, but I'm afraid they're slightly off the mark.

Incorrect Guesses (9):
1. Marowak
2. Slowking
3. Bagon
4. Kingdra
5. Mewtwo
6. Gyarados
7. Smeargle
8. Natu
9. Xatu

Clues (1):

One more guess, and a helpful second hint will come your way.

Blademaster
18th July 2006, 12:36 PM
Hey...

(light bulb flashes on over head)

How about the creepy Banette?

Banette was initially created after someone tossed their doll into a trash can and forgot about it - I'd be screwed up if my family did that to me, too... o_O

Banette is the Marionette Pokemon - marionettes are on lines (strings, specifically). And Banette's strings were... well, 'cut.'

Banette is usually overshadowed in the games by Gengar, Dusclops, and Sableye, but it is still pretty nasty in combat.

In RSE, the only way to get a Banette is by evolving a Shuppet at LV37 or by catching one in the Sky Pillar, which can only be accessed after clobbering the Elite Four. Either way, you need to play for awhile; you have to have some skills by then...

-Blade

Everoy
18th July 2006, 12:42 PM
It's disappointing how little skill I have at the game I created XD

Blademaster
18th July 2006, 01:03 PM
Ah, chin up, Kev - it's probably not you personally. Nobody ever gets mr_pikachu's riddles very quickly... We usually stumble around the correct answer like idiots for weeks on end until someone gets lucky. :lol:

Everoy
18th July 2006, 01:06 PM
Ah, chin up, Kev - it's probably not you personally. Nobody ever gets mr_pikachu's riddles very quickly... We usually stumble around the correct answer like idiots for weeks on end until someone gets lucky. :lol:

Oh, trust me, I know. Like I said, I'm the one who created this game. I'm Parsec's Politoed/PBuG, who you may notice is referred to in the first post as the creator :D

mr_pikachu
18th July 2006, 02:01 PM
Whoa, this is PBug? Awesome! Welcome back to the Riddle Game (and to TPM). It's good to have you here!

Blademaster, unfortunately you're right; your ideas are pretty good, but they're really not what I'm looking for here (although I'll admit that they are very creative). Hint time!

Incorrect Guesses (10):
1. Marowak
2. Slowking
3. Bagon
4. Kingdra
5. Mewtwo
6. Gyarados
7. Smeargle
8. Natu
9. Xatu
10. Banette

Clues (2):
2. Lines 5 and 6 recommend a way to battle against this Pokemon.

Does that help?

Blademaster
18th July 2006, 03:02 PM
...OK, then...

How about Tauros?

Tauros isn't too smart or stable.

Tauros isn't too friendly, either.

A reference to Tauros' bad streak, or maybe its 3 tails? It's blind charging in a straight line?

Tauros is quite strong and can learn many different moves.

Tauros live in the Safari Zone; they are very rare and they tend to run away easily, so you have to devise a strategy if you wanna catch one.

mr_pikachu
18th July 2006, 03:07 PM
Ah, you're getting closer...

Incorrect Guesses (11):
1. Marowak
2. Slowking
3. Bagon
4. Kingdra
5. Mewtwo
6. Gyarados
7. Smeargle
8. Natu
9. Xatu
10. Banette
11. Tauros

Clues (2):

Fett One
18th July 2006, 03:20 PM
Khangaskhan

They aren't very kind and they require strategy to catch otherwise they will run away, not to mention they are hard to find. They are also depicted as being pretty strong. It can also be considered tragic that such a strong pokemon has become rare.

mr_pikachu
18th July 2006, 03:26 PM
A good try, but you're getting a little colder with that guess.

Incorrect Guesses (12):
1. Marowak
2. Slowking
3. Bagon
4. Kingdra
5. Mewtwo
6. Gyarados
7. Smeargle
8. Natu
9. Xatu
10. Banette
11. Tauros
12. Kangaskhan

Clues (2):

Everoy
18th July 2006, 03:42 PM
OMG. It's Girafarig.

Girafarig's two sides
Darker side had a little head
The line between light and dark
Abstain.
Safari Zone

mr_pikachu
18th July 2006, 03:55 PM
OMG. It's not.

...Sorry. Nice try, though.

Incorrect Guesses (13):
1. Marowak
2. Slowking
3. Bagon
4. Kingdra
5. Mewtwo
6. Gyarados
7. Smeargle
8. Natu
9. Xatu
10. Banette
11. Tauros
12. Kangaskhan
13. Girafarig

Clues (2):

Fett One
18th July 2006, 08:18 PM
Larvitar

Larvitar had a very shattered mind as a result of its experiance as an egg

Larvitar aren't very kind but can be

What happened to it was tragic

It proved to be a tough pokemon

The Blue Avenger
19th July 2006, 12:18 AM
Erm... Chansey/Blissey?

If their egg is shattered, I would imagine that they wouldn't be too kind.

You could theoretically link "tragic" here to tragic flaw, and refer to the Chansey evolutionary line's low defense as their tragic flaw.

It still is hard to take out, just because it has hit points like they're going out of style.

It's found in the Safari Zone, and rather hard to catch. Near impossible, in fact. Incidentally, if you're going to battle it, going berserker might not help; if you beat up on it with special attacks it'll just absorb them and you'll be left in the dust.

mistysakura
19th July 2006, 02:42 AM
Rhyhorn?

FR Pokedex -- it's not too bright. Also, Ruby: "It is not bothered even if it rushes headlong into a block of steel. This Pokemon may feel some pain from the collision the next day, however." -- Rhyhorn gets concussion?

Emerald: It has a tiny brain. Yellow: it has a one-track mind, so I guess if it decides to demolish stuff like it often does, it doesn't stop to think and be kind to the owner of said stuff.

Ruby: "Rhyhorm runs in a straight line, smashing everything in its path." A tragic line of destruction?

This tragic line of destruction is revealed becuase of Rhyhorn's strong Tackle. (FR/LG)

It's found in the Safari Zone, so you need skill (and much luck) to catch them before they run away (and you're left behind).

mr_pikachu
20th July 2006, 11:03 AM
We have ourselves a winner! Congratulations to...

mistysakura, who wins a Rhyhorn figurine!

Rhyhorn crashes headfirst through literally anything, which could certainly be rather jarring and could cause brain damage. Plus, Rhyhorn's brain is apparently very small, according to the Sapphire Pokedex.

According to the Silver Pokedex, "It doesn't care if there is anything in its way. It just charges and destroys all obstacles." Not very kind, huh?

Yeah, Ada nailed this perfectly. The tragic line of wreckage, pretty much.

If Rhyhorn can smash through anything with total ease, then it must be pretty strong. Also, its bones are 1,000 times harder than human bones - that's pretty tough!

Rhyhorn can be difficult to capture, whether in the Safari Zone or in the wild. If you want to capture one through battling, you may not be able to rely on brute force, as Rhyhorn is exceptionally strong. It may be better to use "skillful" moves (Special attacks), especially Grass or Water moves, which Rhyhorn is 4x weak against.

Anyway, good job, Ada! You win a Rhyhorn figurine and the right to post the next riddle!

EDIT: Hey, this is your first figurine, isn't it? Way to go, Ada! Nicely done! ^_^

mistysakura
21st July 2006, 06:02 AM
Yay, my first figurine!

My name transcends worlds, and yet I am unknown.
Man’s olden tales see me fashioned from sky;
Yet, though I fly without wings, ‘tis a lie.

Then would I live and belong on the earth?
No; for in me an invader they see,
Though my existence is long history.

These blows do shatter my e’er-changing heart –
What was once crimson expires, leaving just
One precious treasure returning to dust.

Please excuse the shortening of words; it had to fit the metre. (Heh, poetry over riddling for me.)

Fett One
21st July 2006, 09:23 AM
Deoxy

Deoxy came from space which is why it can be considered coming from the sky which is a lie. They also can fly even though they don't have wings.

Its from space which is why its an invader even though it has lived on earth for years

When they appear to be destroyed they basicly turn to dust

Bison Woes
21st July 2006, 09:32 AM
Is it Cleffa/Clefairy/Clefable?

Very rare and, in the anime, the colony of Clefairies and Clefables were thought to be a myth.

People believe they came from the moon and came down in a spaceship that has yet to be found.

In one episode of the anime, Clefairy appeared on a spaceship, meaning that they could fly without using their wings (which probably can't hold them up anyways).

The people were afraid of the Clefairies when they landed because they believe aliens were attacking and humans fear the unnatural.

Clefairy have been here for a supposedly long time.

The whole line depends on happiness to evolve and the gift of the Moon Stone. Without the happiness, Cleffa cannot evolve thus turning its heart sad and without the Moon Stone which is taken and probably can be crushed, Clefairy cannot evolve either. Or the dust means the moon dust.

Everoy
21st July 2006, 11:19 AM
I agree with Bison. I love agreement XD

Crazy Elf Boy
21st July 2006, 10:14 PM
Would it be Staryu/Starmie

That they are very rare.

Because they are shaped like stars

In the anime they kinda just float above the ground

Because they look like they come from out of space

Misty had a Staryu pretty early in the anime series

They have a gem in the middle of there bodies

You can usually find Staryus and Starmies holding a Stardust. And perhaps when they die the red gem turns into a crimson dust

mistysakura
22nd July 2006, 12:27 AM
Yep, Crazy Elf Boy is right, it's Starmie, though the other guesses also work well for some of the lines. That was pretty fast... But my explanation for the riddle's a bit more complicated.

The first bit refers to the fact that Starmie's name is the same in both Japanese and English. But it's unknown because it's the Mysterious Pokemon.

According to Emerald Pokedex, people in ancient times imagined that Starmie were transformed from the stars' reflections on the sea.

Two explanations: one, they do just float above the ground. Two, when using Swift (what seems to be Starmie's signature move in the anime), it causes stars to fly at the opponent. But either way, they aren't Flying Pokemon.

Spot on -- according to Fire Red Pokedex, epople suspect Starmie is an alien creature. Also, this line hints that the Pokemon doesn't belong on land; as it doesn't belong in the air either (see 1st stanza), it must be a Water Pokemon.

Starmie have been around since the days of RBY (and early anime as well, now that I think about it.)

They have a gem in the middle of their bodie, which is called the core (heart). It's ever-changing because it flashes a different colour each time you look at it (Gold Pokedex). And the gem is prone to shattering from attacks.

Starmie may die if its core gem is shattered.

It's a precious treasure (a gem). "Returning to dust" is a reference to "ashes to ashes, dust to dust", once again saying Starmie dies if its gem is shattered. Also, when (astrological) stars burn out, most of the star's matter becomes stardust.

Have a Starmie figurine and the next riddle!

Crazy Elf Boy
27th July 2006, 04:27 PM
I like to frolic and play.
But you will get hurt if you in my way.
All you see if a big black ball going.
Moving faster and never slowing.
Electricity is easy for me.
But waters my enemy.

Okay I have done my riddle but I think that it is to easy.

Fett One
27th July 2006, 06:58 PM
donphan

When it performs rollout you can get hurt by it

Rollout causes it to look like a big ball

Rollout in the anime gets faster with each turn

Donphan is a ground type so it is immune to electricty

But waters my enemy.
Being a ground type it is weak against water

Blademaster
27th July 2006, 07:01 PM
Is this Graveler/Golem?

Graveler and Golem aren't at all hostile; in Pokemon Snap, Graveler is quite fond of 'frolicking (dancing).'

Getting a Graveler/Golem angry is never a good idea...

Graveler and Golem move downhill by rolling; they do look like 'big, black balls' in this state.

But waters my enemy.

Graveler and Golem are Ground types, so they can shake off Electric attacks, but Water does x4 damage to them.

Crazy Elf Boy
28th July 2006, 05:10 AM
Hurray for Fett One the pokemon is infact Donphan

Donphan like to play around alot

Since they are a ground type getting hit by one will really hurt.

All you can see when they perform rollout is the front of then which is black.

Rollout gets faster and more powerful the more you use it

It is immune to electric attacks

But waters my enemy.
It has a 4x weakness against water

You recive a Donphan fugurine and the next Riddle.

Fett One
1st August 2006, 07:32 PM
I'm a hunter by nature
Becoming my prey can make for a sticky situation
Don't be fooled by double heads
Just keep your plants away

mr_pikachu
1st August 2006, 07:42 PM
Could this be Weezing?

I'm a hunter by nature
Um... it knows a lot of highly damaging moves, including the almighty Explosion? :/

It can use Sludge, which is a "sticky" sort of attack.

Weezing has two heads...

Poison overpowers Grass Pokemon.

EDIT: By the way, congrats on winning your first figurine, Fett! I just noticed that as I was updating the scores. ^_^

Blademaster
1st August 2006, 07:53 PM
Doduo?

I'm a hunter by nature

Doduo's a bird; most birds are carnivorous.

How'd you feel if you were being tug-o-warred by two hungry pairs of needlenose pliers?

Doduo has two heads.

Flying types 'pwn' Grass-types, AKA 'plants.'

Fett One
1st August 2006, 11:32 PM
mr_pikachu, thanks.

Doduo and Weezing are both wrong answers.

Everoy
2nd August 2006, 01:47 PM
Spinarak/Ariados is the answer, isn't it?

I'm a hunter by nature
Spiders are predators.
Spiders make webs.
Spinarak has a false face on its abdomen. (Ariados might too, I'm not sure.)
Bug and Poison > Grass

Fett One
2nd August 2006, 06:49 PM
Kevvaelli, your answers to the riddle are the same exact answers I have for it, so congrats on getting it correct. I honestly didn't think people would get the "Don't be fooled by double heads" line because I thought it was too vague. The next riddle is yours.

Everoy
2nd August 2006, 08:24 PM
Kevvaelli, your answers to the riddle are the same exact answers I have for it, so congrats on getting it correct. I honestly didn't think people would get the "Don't be fooled by double heads" line because I thought it was too vague. The next riddle is yours.

Is it Spinarak or Ariados?
The first thing I thought when I saw double heads was Spinarak XD

With the speed of a cheetah, I find the coldness in your heart
By the light of the moon, I can see you from the start.
I fight your fist with the shine of my own,
I hide from your warmth so my true intentions are not shown.
I ride the lines of the dunes, it sounds Greek thought it’s true
But when the diamonds shine, I begin anew.

Fett One
2nd August 2006, 09:26 PM
Is it Spinarak or Ariados?
The first thing I thought when I saw double heads was Spinarak XD

Sorry about that. The answer is Spinarak.

Kyuubi
6th August 2006, 11:08 AM
errr.... could it be Sneasel ?

It's quite agile, and it's part Ice...

Being Dark-type it must be familiar with night vision...I guess.

It has white, shining claws in place of fists.

Must be an allusion to Dark/Ice type, might be referring to Sneasel's cold and mischievous character - at least it's depicted like that- too.

Ew, no clue on that. Maybe its localization ? I forgot everything about where you can catch Sneasel in Pokémon games...

Gets an evolved form with Diamond and Pearl...

Everoy
6th August 2006, 02:29 PM
Yup!

Sometimes it hholds a Quick Claw in the wild, and it's Dark/Ice.

It can learn Moonlight.

Strong against fighting, learns Metal Claw.

Found in Silver Cave in GS.

In Colosseum [Greek (well, the Colosseum isn't Greek, but whatev)] you can snag it from Rider Nelis (Nelis and lines are anagrams), and my ASB Sneasel's name is Doon (homonym of dune).

Kyuubi got this exactly right, Sneasel gets a new evolution in DP.

The Sneasel is an OAK figurine, it is shiny.

Kyuubi
6th August 2006, 03:38 PM
Think about the new land, there I came to your eyes
There are quite a few ways leading to me,
Either in the hands of some elegant lady,
Nearly touching the sun as it arises;

I got absolute freedom you got the chains,
Efforts to avoid the fight will still be vain.
Weaken me and I'll get even angrier,
I'm both the master card and the gifted player.

Hope it's difficult enough...

Everoy
6th August 2006, 05:09 PM
Is it Wynaut?

First found in Hoenn.
You get a Wynaut from a woman in Lavaridge.

The Shadow Tag ability prevents escape from a battle.
I think this refers to the Counter and Mirror Coat attacks.

Kyuubi
7th August 2006, 10:25 AM
No, it isn't.

mr_pikachu
15th August 2006, 02:28 PM
Okay, maybe it's a bit of a cheap guess, but what about Wobbuffet?

Wobbuffet was first found in Johto; it was unobtainable in RBY.

Wobbuffet can be caught as a Wobbuffet, or you can evolve a Wynaut to acquire it.

I may not consider Jessie "elegant," but in the anime, she does have a Wobbuffet...

...I'm clueless here.

Wobbuffet has the Shadow Tag ability. This means that Wobbuffet can be switched out (absolute freedom), but the opponent is "chained" to the battle.

Again, Shadow Tag prevents escape.

Wobbuffet does damage by taking damage. Also, it may use Destiny Bond when it's in danger of being knocked out; this allows Wobbuffet to take its opponent with it.

It takes a lot of skill and knowledge of the game to use Wobbuffet effectively, but if you're skilled, you can use it excellently.

Blademaster
26th August 2006, 05:11 AM
OK, uh, I know if 15 days pass without a guess, the person who posted the riddle can claim the prize and post a new riddle, but what about when the riddle poster is gone for that long? It's been 11 days so far, Kyuubi hasn't replied, I'm pretty sure mr_pikachu is right...

What now? :confused:

mr_pikachu
26th August 2006, 05:13 AM
I PMed Kyuubi a couple of days ago about this. Kyuubi hasn't been online since then (although there was some activity earlier that day). I'm hoping that the next time Kyuubi's online, we'll have an answer. But you're right; this can't go on for much longer. If a few more days go by, we'll have to call off the riddle, and one of the workers will post the next one.

mr_pikachu
1st September 2006, 03:56 AM
Okay, this has gone on long enough. I'm calling off this riddle. Let's move directly to the next one.

Here we go. Good luck to everyone!

Slow or fast? I can’t decide,
But training will fill me with pride.
Physical strength, defensive skill,
Make fighting weaklings easier still.
I’d be a champ, I’d be a king,
But I’m stuck on a single thing.
I need an aid to see it through,
But with help, I will shatter you!

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Hints (0):

Blademaster
1st September 2006, 04:02 AM
Well, let's not waste any more time... I got a guess.

Is it Slowbro?

SLOWbro may give off a slow impression, but it's a Psychic type; Psychics usually strike first in battle in the games.

Don't have a clue.

Unlike most Psychics, Slowbro has decent offensive and defensive skills.

Psychic > Fighting.

Slowbro becomes Slowking, but it needs a King's Rock first.

If a Trainer trades Slowbro while it's holding a King's Rock, it becomes a Slowking, which is actually a pretty strong Pokemon.

mr_pikachu
1st September 2006, 04:07 AM
A pretty interesting guess, but I'm afraid that's not it. Good try, though!

Incorrect Guesses (1):
1. Slowbro

Hints (0):

Blademaster
2nd September 2006, 12:15 AM
OK, then... Is it Machoke?

Machoke starts off with a pitiful 40 Speed, but it can grow to over 200 points when fed Carbos (or whatever).

Machoke likes admiring itself in the mirror - that's pride, if I know anything about pride.

Fighting Pokemon are known for heir superior Attack and Defense.

This is what confused me - I thought you meant fighting weaklings, as in 'weak, Fighting Pokemon,' so I leaned towards a Psychic or Flying type. But now I see you meant fighting (the verb, not the adjective) weaklings, which is a pretty large group compared to Machoke's family.

Machoke evolves into MaCHAMP, the KING of Fighting Pokemon according to most.

Machoke has to be traded before it can evolve, so it does indeed need an aid.

Machoke learns Brick Break and Rock Smash via TM/HM ('with help'), two incredibly powerful, groundbreaking (literally) moves.

mr_pikachu
2nd September 2006, 11:15 AM
You may know plenty about pride, but apparently you don't know the answer to this riddle - at least not yet. Those were some nice ideas, however.

Incorrect Guesses (1):
1. Slowbro
2. Machoke

Hints (0):

Fett One
2nd September 2006, 10:06 PM
Tyrogue

I'm not sure about this one

It has to be trained in certain skills (ex: attack) in order to evolve

Its strength and defense determine what it will evolve into

I'm not sure about this one

It can become a powerful pokemon but it has to evolve first

It needs to take carbs, proten, etc in order to evolve into its different forms. Having to take those items are a form of aid. It also needs to use tm/hm to learn moves that can break things such as rock smash and brick break

mr_pikachu
2nd September 2006, 10:21 PM
An interesting idea, but I'm afraid that's not it.

Incorrect Guesses (3):
1. Slowbro
2. Machoke
3. Tyrogue

Hints (0):

Blademaster
3rd September 2006, 06:38 AM
OK, is this maybe one of the Egg Pokemon - Exeggcute or Togepi?

Togepi, like Machoke, starts out slow, but it can get a lot faster when fed Carbos; Exeggcute is 6 eggs, so they may debate with each other how fast they move.

Exeggcute is 6 eggs, as I said, so when it's proud of its progress, it's proud x6! Togepi evolves when it gains Happiness, which may be synonymous with pride...?

Togepi has decent stats and HP; Exeggcute is Psychic, and Psychic > Fighting.

Togepi and Exeggcute evolve into strong Pokemon, both of which look like they wear crowns (Togetic's spikes and Exeggutor's leaves). But they can't evolve alone - they need a Trainer to either love them or give them a Leaf Stone (respectively).

Togetic, I believe, learns Rock Smash and Brick Break; Exeggutor learns powerhouse moves like Barrage, Solarbeam, and, in some instances, Bomb Voyage. ;)

mr_pikachu
3rd September 2006, 06:44 AM
Mmm, while those may be good ideas, they're definitely not connected to the meaning of the riddle. Good thinking, but I'm afraid you're off the mark. Hopefully a hint will help.

Incorrect Guesses (5):
1. Slowbro
2. Machoke
3. Tyrogue
4. Exeggcute
5. Togepi

Hints (1):
1. What can provide "aid" during battle?

Fett One
3rd September 2006, 07:15 PM
Plusle/Miniun

Not sure about this

If they double battle they can use helping hand to make the fight easier

They can only only become champs when they work together so fighting by themselves (single) is a bad idea

Helping Hand aids them in battle by increasing their stats. This help, allows them shatter (defeat) their enemies

mr_pikachu
4th September 2006, 03:47 AM
That's a clever thought, and a good start. But you need to think a bit more "outside the box."

Incorrect Guesses (7):
1. Slowbro
2. Machoke
3. Tyrogue
4. Exeggcute
5. Togepi
6. Plusle
7. Minun

Hints (1):

Shadow Wolf
4th September 2006, 11:42 AM
Hmm, let's give a try at this game.

This one could be a Poliwhirl/Machamp

but training will fill me with pride.

Poliwhirl has a decent speed but it can use “slow” moves like Counter; Machamp can throw 1,000 punches in less than two seconds (FR pokedex) but its speed (stat) is low and it loves to train and fight.

Poliwhirl can learn fighting and also Psychic attacks which are super effective against fighting type pokemon; Machamp is a very strong pokemon and if it grabs an opponent with it’s four arms(even if is a fighting pokemon) the battle is all but over(Sapphire pokedex)…

but I’m stuck on a single thing.

Poliwhirl can evolve into Poliwrath (In an Anime episode, Poliwrath had a champion belt) or into Politoed (In the RSE pokedex, Politoed’s curled hair represents a symbol of it being a king) but to evolve, Poliwhirl need a water stone or a king’s rock so it cannot evolve by training and it will be "stuck" as a Poliwhirl; Machamp is a king (or a champ) because it has learned every martial art(Sapphire pokedex).

but with help, I will shatter you!

Not a clue with Poliwhirl; Machamp can learn foresight, and with this move, normal and fighting attacks can hit ghost pokemon.

mr_pikachu
4th September 2006, 07:44 PM
A good thought, but it's a little inaccurate. The previous guess was closer.

Incorrect Guesses (9):
1. Slowbro
2. Machoke
3. Tyrogue
4. Exeggcute
5. Togepi
6. Plusle
7. Minun
8. Poliwhirl
9. Machamp

Hints (1):

You'll get another hint after the next guess.

Blademaster
4th September 2006, 09:21 PM
I was originally leaning towards Volbeat/Illumise, but this may make more sense...

Is it Aerodactyl?

Aerodactyl is a Rock/Flying hybrid. Rocks are pretty much the slowest Pokemon, and Flying types are generally some of the fastest.

I think this line is just filler - who wouldn't be proud of winning and getting stronger?

Aerodactyl is a Rock-type, so it has a lot of resistances and some pretty impressive attacks.

Flying > Psychic, once again.

Aerodactyl is a powerhouse, but even it needs a Trainer. The 'single thing' is Old Amber. No Trainer = no Amber; no Amber = no Aerodactyl.

Dragonbreath, Fire Blast, Rock Slide, Sky Attack, Hyper Beam...

mr_pikachu
4th September 2006, 09:33 PM
Pretty good reasons, but you've lost the biggest point of the riddle. The next hint should help.

Incorrect Guesses (10):
1. Slowbro
2. Machoke
3. Tyrogue
4. Exeggcute
5. Togepi
6. Plusle
7. Minun
8. Poliwhirl
9. Machamp
10. Aerodactyl

Hints (2):
2. The first line describes something unique to this species.

Fett One
4th September 2006, 11:43 PM
Wynut/Wobbuffett

It doesn't matter how slow or how fast it is because it will always attack last. You gain a lot of pride knowing that you can beat your opponent despite having to take hits first.

They are defensive pokemon since they don't have any offensive attacks and they win by turning their opponents physical strength against them. This makes fighting weaker pokemon easier than stronger pokemon since the stronger pokemon might get a ohko.

They are stuck being defensive pokemon so they can't become champs since they are just as likely to lose as they are to win.

The trainer provides the aid by trying to predict what the next attack will be so that they can properly defend against it. With that help they can win a battle.

mr_pikachu
4th September 2006, 11:49 PM
That's a good try, but it really doesn't say anything about the meaning of the riddle. Think a little more deeply.

Incorrect Guesses (12):
1. Slowbro
2. Machoke
3. Tyrogue
4. Exeggcute
5. Togepi
6. Plusle
7. Minun
8. Poliwhirl
9. Machamp
10. Aerodactyl
11. Wynaut
12. Wobbuffet

Hints (2):

Fett One
5th September 2006, 07:02 PM
Scyther/Scizor

Scyther is fast but if it decides to evolve it has to sacrifice speed. It has been shown to be a prideful pokemon in the anime, especially when it comes to battles

Scyther has good strength and if it evolves into Scizor it has good defense. Both skills make fighting weaker pokemon easier

They are powerful pokemon but Scyther is stuck as a Scyther unless it gets traded while possessing a metal coat

It needs to be traded while possessing a metal coat to evolve. Once it becomes Scizor it can use its steal type attacks to shatter rock type pokemon

mr_pikachu
6th September 2006, 08:58 AM
Hmm, good thoughts. Remember, though, that the part about "aid" refers to something you can do during a battle!

Incorrect Guesses (14):
1. Slowbro
2. Machoke
3. Tyrogue
4. Exeggcute
5. Togepi
6. Plusle
7. Minun
8. Poliwhirl
9. Machamp
10. Aerodactyl
11. Wynaut
12. Wobbuffet
13. Scyther
14. Scizor

Hints (2):

Next guess = new hint.

Blademaster
6th September 2006, 03:39 PM
I think I've got it.

Is it Vigoroth?

Vigoroth has to constantly be on a rampage and moving around. It's extremely fast - after evolving from the slow-as-Hell Slakoth and before evolving into the equally-slow-as-Hell Slaking. Vigoroth is the only Pokemon to take such a bizarre turn after evolving only to wind up pretty much back where it started after evolving again.

Vigoroth's Japanese name is Yarukimono, which means 'willing sloth.' Proud, willing... they're sorta similar.

Vigoroth is a Normal Pokemon, which means pretty balanced stats; balanced stats + training/vitamins = KO-ed weaklings.

Vigoroth evolves into SlaKING, the big boss - the champ, if you will - of Normal Pokemon.

Vigoroth hasn't evolved yet.

Vigoroth is the only Pokemon that naturally learns Focus Punch. It has to wait until Level 43, and even after learning it, it takes one turn without being disturbed to set up. But once it's set up...

WHAM!!

mr_pikachu
6th September 2006, 03:51 PM
An excellent try, but I'm afraid it's just a little off the mark. The next hint should be quite helpful.

Incorrect Guesses (15):
1. Slowbro
2. Machoke
3. Tyrogue
4. Exeggcute
5. Togepi
6. Plusle
7. Minun
8. Poliwhirl
9. Machamp
10. Aerodactyl
11. Wynaut
12. Wobbuffet
13. Scyther
14. Scizor
15. Vigoroth

Hints (3):
3. The first line describes something in which this Pokemon will waver back and forth during evolution.

Shadow Wolf
25th September 2006, 08:20 PM
Sorry if this is bumping (since more than two weeks have passed), but I cannot come up with an answer to the riddle.

mr_pikachu, could you give the answer?

EDIT: added the question mark (kinda forgot about it)

mr_pikachu
25th September 2006, 08:27 PM
Ah, sorry about that. I've been working on something for this game, actually, and I was hoping to have it done before anyone noticed that two weeks had passed. I... didn't quite finish. Hehe.

The correct answer is Slakoth.

Slakoth becomes very fast when it evolves into Vigoroth, but Truant again takes its toll when it is a Slaking.

Slaking is one of the strongest Pokemon in the game, and it can be legitimately used in most tournaments.

Its Attack and Defense stats are good, and its HP is exceptional for a first-stage Pokemon.

It eventually evolves into Slaking.

Truant is this Pokemon’s only major detriment, at both its Slakoth and Slaking stages.

I’ll need an aid to see it through,
It can’t learn Skill Swap, but other Pokemon can use it in double battles to remove the weakness of Truant.

Slakoth can be very powerful with help – it can even learn Brick Break, a “shattering” move.

Okay, we're gonna take a quick break from this version; we'll come back to it later. And you know what that means... it's time for the Riddle Game Championship!

Shadow Wolf
25th September 2006, 08:37 PM
Wow, it looks like I have to do a little more research on pokemon next time

Ah, sorry about that. I've been working on something for this game, actually, and I was hoping to have it done before anyone noticed that two weeks had passed. I... didn't quite finish. Hehe.

Everything got screwed because of me, sorry about that. :sweat4: :sweat4: :sweat4:

mr_pikachu
25th September 2006, 08:42 PM
Actually, it's not a problem. This'll get the Second Riddle Game Championship started! You can find the signup thread here (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/index.php?topic=45750.0)!

mr_pikachu
29th October 2006, 10:10 PM
Congratulations to the winner of the Second Riddle Game Championship... with four riddles solved, the new champion is Blademaster!

Now it's time for the next riddle!

From ages past, I’m the defender.
My strong attacks will make you shiver.
I own the greatest move of all,
Though to get it I have to stall.
Don’t crack under the tough stress
Or you’ll fall to the battling best!

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Hints (0):

Good luck!

Blademaster
29th October 2006, 10:22 PM
Wheeeee! More riddles! :dance:

I'm going to guess... Regice.

Regice was created during an Ice Age millennia ago; it is a guardian of sorts.

It's an Ice type.

Regice can learn Explosion...

...But it has forgotten Explosion by the time it can be captured, so it has to wait until it is captured and can be taken to the Move Maniac before it can use it.

Regice is -400*F - almost anything that touches it would likely freeze and shatter.

Best? Not quite, but moves like Zap Cannon, Charge Beam, and Superpower certainly give the Glacier Pokemon bragging rights, especially among Ice types - its stats are even higher than Articuno's.

mr_pikachu
29th October 2006, 10:23 PM
Well, I suppose it was worth a shot.

Incorrect Guesses (1):
1. Regice

Hints (0):

Blademaster
29th October 2006, 10:42 PM
Rats... OK, let's try a different approach...

Is it Aerodactyl?

Aerodactyl lived 5 million years ago.

I think that shivering implies fear, not cold; I'd be scared if a stone-skinned pterodactyl-dragon-bat-monster was swooping down at me at 150mph, wouldn't you?

I think Aerodactyl could learn Explosion in RBY; nowadays, it can still learn Hyper Beam...

...But not until it reaches Level 50.

Aerodactyl has the Pressure Ability; stress = pressure.

Aerodactyl was once known as 'king of the skies.' It likely was the top dog of prehistoric Pokemon.

mr_pikachu
29th October 2006, 10:43 PM
Swing and a miss! Hint #1 is coming in three guesses.

Incorrect Guesses (2):
1. Regice
2. Aerodactyl

Hints (0):

Blademaster
29th October 2006, 11:04 PM
Hmmmmm... My brain must be wearing down after the Championship... Damn it...

OK, I'll guess Geodude/Graveler/Golem.

Both Pokemon date back ten years, to the RBY generation; also, 'Golem' is the name of a sentinel/guardian made of stone.

These guys have some impressive Attack power.

All three can learn Explosion...

...But not until they learn/reject all their other natural moves.

Geodude and Graveler are pretty tough, but Golem's attack can reach 350, making him the strongest naturally-Exploding Pokemon in the game.

mr_pikachu
29th October 2006, 11:15 PM
A rolling stone gathers no figurines. Time for a hint!

Incorrect Guesses (5):
1. Regice
2. Aerodactyl
3. Geodude
4. Graveler
5. Golem

Hints (1):
1. What would be the best possible result from any move?

Blademaster
29th October 2006, 11:27 PM
(sighs)

I should've guessed this from the start...

Is it Articuno?

Articuno has existed since the RBY Generation, and probably much longer, since it is a Legendary. As for the defender part, it protects and guides people lost in icy mountains.

Articuno is an Ice type.

Articuno learns Sheer Cold, an instant-knockout attack that no Pokemon can resist...

...But not until LV. 85; that's a long time even for a Legendary Pokemon.

Articuno has the Pressure Ability.

Like I said, Sheer Cold instantly knocks out the opponent, it can't be resisted, and it only has two drawbacks: it's poor aim (which Articuno counters with its Mind reader attack), and its inability to beat higher-lever Pokemon (Like there are that many LV. 85+ Pokemon in the games, anyway.).

mr_pikachu
29th October 2006, 11:31 PM
Maybe that hint was a little too revealing...

Articuno is from Red, Blue, and Yellow. It is said to appear to doomed people who are lost on icy mountains, according to the Red Pokedex.

As a legendary Pokemon, it’s powerful, and it uses the Ice element well.

Articuno learns Sheer Cold, the OHKO move with the best accuracy and with no type resistances.

Not only does Articuno learn it at a very high level (85), but it can’t learn it at all until Ruby and Sapphire.

“stress” is a synonym for Articuno’s only ability, Pressure.

As a legendary, Articuno ranks among the toughest Pokemon there are.

Good job, Blademaster! The legendary Articuno is yours!

Blademaster
30th October 2006, 12:34 AM
Dude... I have won two Legendary figurines in the past 3 hours...

Has that ever happened in the entire history of TPM? :eek:

Well, while someone looks into that, here's a new riddle I've had saved up for awhile now:

Behind my gate,
I lie in wait;
I stay up late
So I may sate
My hunger. Fate
I would equate
To those I ate
Behind my gate!

Good luck! :wave:

-Blade

mr_pikachu
30th October 2006, 12:41 AM
Perhaps not. But I'm not curious enough to take the time to check.

Is this Gastly/Haunter/Gengar?

Behind my gate,
I lie in wait;
The "gate" would be the portal between this world and the afterlife. These three Pokemon are ghosts, so they are no longer of this world, but not of the next, either. They are at the gate.

I stay up late
All three Pokemon can get Night Shade.

So I may sate
My hunger. Fate
They also learn the Hypnosis/Dream Eater combo to "sate their hunger." Also, those who don't switch quickly after Destiny Bond is used are fated to faint.

I would equate
To those I ate
Behind my gate!
Again, I reiterate the previous reasons for eating (Hypnosis/Dream Eater) and the gate (the barrier between this world and the next).

Blademaster
30th October 2006, 12:52 AM
Perhaps not. But I'm too lazy to take the time to check.

Fixed it. :D

And no, it isn't Gastly, Haunter, or Gengar. Sorry!

Behind my gate,
I lie in wait;
I stay up late
So I may sate
My hunger. Fate
I would equate
To those I ate
Behind my gate!

Wrong guesses (3)
1. Gastly
2. Haunter
3. Gengar

Fett One
30th October 2006, 06:14 PM
Zubat/Golbat/Crobat

Behind my gate,
I lie in wait;
Bats live in old abanndon houses and those types of houses generally have gates

I stay up late
So I may sate
My hunger.
Bats stay up all night looking for food

Fate
I would equate
To those I ate
Behind my gate!
bloods are known to suck blood for food, even though thats not true of all bats. this is a bad thing for anyone that is bitten

Blademaster
30th October 2006, 07:07 PM
Nicely guessed, Fett...

But that's not the answer either.

Behind my gate,
I lie in wait;
I stay up late
So I may sate
My hunger. Fate
I would equate
To those I ate
Behind my gate!

Wrong guesses (6)
1. Gastly
2. Haunter
3. Gengar
4. Zubat
5. Golbat
6. Crobat

I'll give y'all a hint after the next guess.

mr_pikachu
10th November 2006, 04:10 PM
Okay, let's get creative. Is this a Misdreavus?

Behind my gate,
I lie in wait;
Misdreavus' red sphere are reminiscent of the Philosopher's Stone from Full Metal Alchemist, which prominently featured the "gate" between two worlds.

I stay up late
So I may sate
My hunger. Fate
According to the RS Pokedexes, Misdreavus uses its red spheres to absorb the fearful feelings of others and gain energy. (This is also another reminder of Full Metal Alchemist, as the Philosopher's Stone is made by absorbing human souls.)

I would equate
To those I ate
Behind my gate!
Misdreavus resembles the beings beyond the "gate," who devoured Edward's limbs and Alphonse as payment for the Grand Arcanum (sp?). It also uses Pain Split to drain the strength of others.

Blademaster
10th November 2006, 04:19 PM
Creative indeed...

But still wrong.

Behind my gate,
I lie in wait;
I stay up late
So I may sate
My hunger. Fate
I would equate
To those I ate
Behind my gate!

Wrong guesses (6)
1. Gastly
2. Haunter
3. Gengar
4. Zubat
5. Golbat
6. Crobat
7. Misdreavus

Hints (1)
1. What real-life animal would fit the criteria of this riddle?

mr_pikachu
10th November 2006, 04:30 PM
Well, let's try Meowth/Persian.

Behind my gate,
I lie in wait;
Meowth and Persian are cats; lions in captivity wait behind the "gate" to their cage.

I stay up late
So I may sate
My hunger. Fate
Meowth is more active at night according to the Stadium Pokedex, and one would assume this likely applies to Persian as well.

I would equate
To those I ate
Behind my gate!
As "lions," they are said to be hostile, devouring those who venture into their territory (behind their gate).

Blademaster
10th November 2006, 04:47 PM
You're getting warmer...

Behind my gate,
I lie in wait;
I stay up late
So I may sate
My hunger. Fate
I would equate
To those I ate
Behind my gate!

Wrong guesses (6)
1. Gastly
2. Haunter
3. Gengar
4. Zubat
5. Golbat
6. Crobat
7. Misdreavus
8. Meowth
9. Persian

Hints (1)

Fett One
10th November 2006, 10:57 PM
Hoothoot/Noctorn

Behind my gate,
I lie in wait;
They live in nest which they build in trees and they stay there until they choose the right moment to attack their prey

I stay up late
So I may sate
My hunger. Fate
I would equate
To those I ate
Behind my gate!
Owls hunt at night and once they catch there prey they return to there nest in the trees to eat it

Blademaster
12th November 2006, 02:46 AM
1. It's Noctowl, not Noctorn.

2. You're wrong.

Behind my gate,
I lie in wait;
I stay up late
So I may sate
My hunger. Fate
I would equate
To those I ate
Behind my gate!

Wrong guesses (11)
1. Gastly
2. Haunter
3. Gengar
4. Zubat
5. Golbat
6. Crobat
7. Misdreavus
8. Meowth
9. Persian
10. Hoothoot
11. Noctowl

Hints (1)

Fett One
12th November 2006, 02:14 PM
Poochyena/Mightyena

Behind my gate,
I lie in wait;
Poochyena/Mightyena look like wolves and wolves live in caves

I stay up late
So I may sate
My hunger. Fate
I would equate
To those I ate
Behind my gate!
Wolves hunt at night and they drag their food back to their cave to eat it

Blademaster
12th November 2006, 03:33 PM
BUZZ!

Wrong.

Behind my gate,
I lie in wait;
I stay up late
So I may sate
My hunger. Fate
I would equate
To those I ate
Behind my gate!

Wrong guesses (13)
1. Gastly
2. Haunter
3. Gengar
4. Zubat
5. Golbat
6. Crobat
7. Misdreavus
8. Meowth
9. Persian
10. Hoothoot
11. Noctowl
12. Poochyena
13. Mightyena

Hints (1)

New hint in 2 guesses.

Fett One
12th November 2006, 09:25 PM
Growlithe/Arcanine

Behind my gate,
I lie in wait;
They are very protective of their territory

I stay up late
So I may sate
My hunger. Fate
I would equate
To those I ate
Behind my gate!
Growlithe/Arcanine are used as gaurd dogs and guard dogs have to stay up all night. They hate people tresspassing on there territory so they bite them to get them to leave.

Blademaster
12th November 2006, 09:40 PM
Once again, you're greatly-oversimplified answers have failed to make the cut.

Behind my gate,
I lie in wait;
I stay up late
So I may sate
My hunger. Fate
I would equate
To those I ate
Behind my gate!

Wrong guesses (15)
1. Gastly
2. Haunter
3. Gengar
4. Zubat
5. Golbat
6. Crobat
7. Misdreavus
8. Meowth
9. Persian
10. Hoothoot
11. Noctowl
12. Poochyena
13. Mightyena
14. Growlithe
15. Arcanine

Hints (2)
2. At least one line pertains to this Pokemon's Ability.