PDA

View Full Version : labels suck and i hate them: yes/no?

PancaKe
6th March 2006, 10:54 PM
whats your opinion on labels? especially on the latest label of "emo". What do you think about the fact that labels change so quickly and theres always a new label coming out. Any guesses for the next labels and trends?

I personally think labels are stupid. I mean, its cool to be emo these days, which involves being depressed, cutting, and being bisexual. It's a stupid way of grouping people together and causing fights.

PS i'm just using this for research on my concept for artwork.

Gavin Luper
7th March 2006, 03:57 AM
Hullo, my dear Pancake. Long time no see.

Um, personally on this issue, I don't really care. I never even think about labels from day to day, let alone allow them to bother me. I don't mind what people think of me; nor do I think it is anyone's business what I think of them except my own. Apart from my friends and family, that is.

So, as to labels, I'm pretty much indifferent.

As far as the emo thing goes, can't stand the whole ridiculous trend, but fortunately there is enough counterculture around to make it more bearable. As long as there are people listening to real music, laughing with each other and being their own selves, I'm not particularly worried. Most trends fade with time, which pretty much indicates their importance.

Cheers!

PNT510
7th March 2006, 04:19 AM
[b]I hate people who hate labels. I'm human, I don't get upset if someone labels me as human. If someones a jerk, then label them as a jerk. If they're emo label them as emo. It just makes people easier to identify and group together. It's not that big of a deal.

Alucard
7th March 2006, 08:28 AM
What the hell does 'emo' mean anyway? Shit happens in life and I get called it for being depressed. Is it the new word for depression or something?

As for labels, I really don't care. People call me "goth" for having facial piercings, wtf? I'm nothing like a goth ;/ Label me what you will, I really don't care. If you get offended or pissed off by a word then sucks for you ;x

Magmar
7th March 2006, 08:40 AM
the only words that should be considered offensive are slurs. otherwise, people should be mature enough to either be beyond calling people that or to, when they are called them, look the person in the eye and say that they just lowered themselves below your standards.

In other news, I sprained my ankle! I'm not emo about it though, I'm whacking people with my crutches and having a grand time over here! :biggrin: It's swollen the size of an egg though... can't fit it in a shoe.

Toxicity
7th March 2006, 08:56 AM
I have to be in agreement with Magmar on the slurs issue. There's just so many, it's definitely a larger list than the labels stereotype-wise. Even if I'm sounding stereotypical, unless you're an ordinary teenager or the average native North Floridian, you should be mature enough to be able to handle the labels fairly. In fact, I'm called an "emo gamer" quite a lot by the kids who act stereotypically "emo," also known as "scene," etc. While I admit I'm more of a die-hard gamer than most, my depression and ability to express emotions through writing is what leads to the emo part, probably.

Despite what my Anatomy and Physiology Honors teacher says, life isn't fair, really. There's many hardships, and it's up to you whether or not you handle them properly. Even labels and slurs.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
8th March 2006, 11:16 AM
People call me alternative because I wear 'Allstars', play guitar, smoke, etc... Yadayadayada

Heald
8th March 2006, 11:35 AM
Labels are used by idiots who deem it necessary to judge people by the music they listen to and the clothes they wear.

Perfect Chaos
9th March 2006, 09:26 PM
Labels are used by idiots who deem it necessary to judge people by the music they listen to and the clothes they wear.

Amen

-Sean

Magmar
10th March 2006, 06:01 AM
On that note, my friend Leeann gets a ton of shit for liking metal and not wearing hot topic clothes. And she's almost 18 and graduating. She just doesn't get it, and... neither do I, as the day I can afford Hot Topic clothes is the day I donate it to finding a cure for cancer. :rolleyes:

Leon-IH
10th March 2006, 07:42 AM
Labels provide entertainment to those who are not deemed to fit under any of them.

Master of Paradox
10th March 2006, 08:27 AM
The only labels I care about are the ones that will be used to identify me in police reports and on the nightly news. Such as "Deranged Loner" or "Gun-Toting Psychopath".

Other than those, labels mean nada to me.

Jay Umbreon
10th March 2006, 08:28 AM
It's human nature to categorise people =] they like to know whats what....what's 'us' and 'them'.

Thus, labels, stereotypes, prejudice etc. etc. will never disappear.

All you can do is try to ignore it, or embrace it..
Nobody is unique in this world =/ no matter what they may think..
they're always comparing themselves to somebody else and they derive their interests and to some extent personality from those of others.

Can't complain..
you gotta like it or lump it unfortunately.

Humans suck.

Gengachu
10th March 2006, 06:59 PM
Some labels suck, but I think it's just human nature to label people.

As far as emo goes, I like it as an adjective, but don't like it as a label or trend. I actually call myself emo. It's basically just an easier way of saying that your a teenager who worries about silly things. The trend is pretty dumb, but that's because so many of the people involved with it are just doing it to fit in with a certain group. Some of the music is ok, but it's a horribly overused term, and way too inclusive. It isn't really any different from goths, though. Just a different time and scene.

youdontknowme
11th March 2006, 01:32 AM
No offense but I don't think it's cool at all to be emo. I mean, what's so cool about being depressed and cutting yourself? I may understand if that person has some issues but being emo just to "be cool" or "fit in" is kinda "meh" if you ask me. Of course, this is my opinion. ;)

As for labels... I don't mind them. You can't deny that there are certain type of people (emo, goth, gangster/rapper or whatever the hell you call them, etc)... In real life, I don't look at somebody and label them, but in my subconscious I probably do (if you catch my drift). It's just natural.

Sceptile_Master
11th March 2006, 08:54 AM
Dunno how things go in other countries but in the UK labels are needed. Because you can't not call chavs... well... chavs, because they are, and that's what they are trying to be and the majority of normal people aren't just going to forget that that's what they are and hang with them. I have a friend who "wants" to be emo because she thinks it'd be cool to be like people from bands like good charlotte and my chemical romance :rolleyes:. She's not really an emo though because you can't pretend to be depressed or all this shit that they do. As a whole though labels are needed as an understanding for a universally known (within that culutre/country) to group people into well... groups that make it easier to define perhaps certain people youd rather chill with or whatever. Thing is the lack of understandment about these groups. But in reality I dunno what this is about anti-labelism or whatever because yes we are all humans but it's idiocy to pretend these people don't exist especially since some places (the UK has alot of this in the past 6 or 7 years) have a really obvious showing of these distinct "groups".

Plus... I don't think it's cool to change who you are to fit under a certain label/group. Being who you are is whats cool and wed have alot less labels if we all did that.

Lady Vulpix
11th March 2006, 05:38 PM
Wow, i actually agree with Heald this time! And I've made it to Pants's hate list.

If you label someone, you miss learning who s/he really is. There's always more to a person than any amount of labels can say.

phaedrus
11th March 2006, 05:41 PM
labels make life easier to stand. it groups people so that knowledge becomes easier to comprehend. bad or good? not for me to say. simple as that.

Sceptile_Master
11th March 2006, 07:06 PM
Honestly I don't think people label other people because they don't fit into a label. Because I dunno... all the groups seem to label each other and they ARE in labels themselves. But chavs in particular label people needlessly for example. I wouldn't say I belong to any such label but they call me a "goth" for having long hair :S.

jet1213
12th March 2006, 07:51 PM
i never really understood the label of "emo".

i think it came from people listening to "emo" music, like dashboard confessional etc. But to me, that never really made any sense. All music has emotion to it. Music that has no emotion behind it is not worth listening to.

so i never really understood how that was a sort of slanderous remark,

Crazy
13th March 2006, 06:02 AM

Isn't calling someone an idiot "labeling" them? For all you know those idiots could be highly intelligent people who just made a mistake. Anyway, it is unavoidable for humans. It is our very nature to label. We should ,however, try to cut back on it as much as possible.

Heald
13th March 2006, 12:28 PM
Isn't calling someone an idiot "labeling" them? For all you know those idiots could be highly intelligent people who just made a mistake. Anyway, it is unavoidable for humans. It is our very nature to label. We should ,however, try to cut back on it as much as possible.
Way to overanalyse everything. A label is a prejudiced opinion based on the clothes someone wears and the music they listen too. Anyone who judges a person on these two meaningless criteria is an idiot in my eyes. That isn't a label, it's a fact.

homeofmew
14th March 2006, 05:31 PM
the thing is humans are social creatures and they like to form groups, could be religous or by intrest or by like.
its general for us to group people together it is much easier, athough it is quite wrong.
another way we do this is sterotyping.

noise attack
18th March 2006, 11:40 PM
usually people make their own labels, if you want to be "emo" be "emo"...don't get mad if someone calls you that if you take pictures of yourself looking at a mirror and hawthorne hights are your favorite band along with taking back sunday. no one's even original anymore, everyone tries to hop trends or conform to something someway be it in music or fashion, so who cares?

Razola
25th March 2006, 06:02 PM
People who hate labels are usually the ones who can be easily labeled.

It's classification; get over it.

Heald
25th March 2006, 06:38 PM
People who hate labels are usually the ones who can be easily labeled.This is stupid as hell; if anything, people who are easily labeled LOVE to be labeled. Look at Goths - they are only Goths for attention - if no one went OMG A GOTH everytime they saw someone dressed as a Goth, they wouldn't dress as a Goth. Nowadays, the majority of people don't listen to the music they actually like or wear the clothes they actually like to wear - they dress according to how they want to fit in and only listen to music they think is socially acceptable. I don't have a label at all and I don't want a label and I hate how people don't have opinions of their own, they let television and the Internet dictate what their opinions are nowadays.

Razola
25th March 2006, 11:09 PM
This is stupid as hell; if anything, people who are easily labeled LOVE to be labeled. Look at Goths - they are only Goths for attention - if no one went OMG A GOTH everytime they saw someone dressed as a Goth, they wouldn't dress as a Goth. Nowadays, the majority of people don't listen to the music they actually like or wear the clothes they actually like to wear - they dress according to how they want to fit in and only listen to music they think is socially acceptable. I don't have a label at all and I don't want a label and I hate how people don't have opinions of their own, they let television and the Internet dictate what their opinions are nowadays.
You'd think that, but most Goths actually think they are being "different".

Don't treat these people like they are actually intelligent.

Hatake Kakashi
26th March 2006, 03:11 PM
You'd think that, but most Goths actually think they are being "different".

Don't treat these people like they are actually intelligent.

Do not attempt to converse with these people. If you must, telling them that "unique" means you're not a trend-following fool is the suggested route.