PDA

View Full Version : where can you get free web hosting with your own domain name

Compgenius
13th March 2006, 09:10 AM
Hey everyone, I got a huge problem, I'm planing on starting a website soon and I know my HTML but the only problem is that I need to get a domain name and web hosting, I'd rather not build it from scratch but does anyone know a place where you can get free web hosting with your own domain name, Not like tripod because they stuff the little .tripod.lycos.com at the end of your web site, I wanna build a fourm site for computer nerds like us, anyone know a place like that, If you wanna help email me at computerfourmhelp@yahoo.ca thanks and tripod is useless dont use it unless you pay money to get the good web hostind! PLEASE HELP ME :biggrin:

UnBaNnAbLe
13th March 2006, 12:22 PM
You can get them anywhere, from Geocities to 250free, but it's gonna' cost ya.

youdontknowme
15th March 2006, 09:51 PM
If you want to make a forum board, you'll need some sort of database and a server-side scripting language. Most forums are done in PHP (server-side language) and MySQL (database).

Finding a free host with PHP and MySQL will be a tough find. I doubt you'll be able to find one by signing up; You'd probably have to post on their forum for a certain amount of posts and you get more features as you post more.

As for domain names... you'll probably have to pay for it. And most free hosts probably won't let you use your own domain name. I've known some people who have had free domain names (.info) but I don't know how they got them. They probably were either lucky enough to grab one when somebody was giving 'em out or they had "connections."

btw, all this information is from first-hand experience back in the day when I was looking for free stuff. ;)
Of course, I discovered that I had to pay for what I wanted and I later bought some hosting (and am in search for a new host, atm)

Sceptile_Master
16th March 2006, 02:34 AM
Err domain names will cost ya but for free hosts www.awardspace.com is really good. PHP and mySQL. 200mb space and 5GB bandwidth. %00kb file size limit though but yu don't need that anyways. If the file size limit bothers you then you could try doing it entirely with AJAX which will work on most free servers methinks.

And also it doesn't matter if you know HTML because you need CSS too.