PDA

View Full Version : The Song Of Lugia played on my trumpet

Master Kirby
13th March 2006, 08:01 PM
This should be considered "Fan Art" since music is an art.

Have you ever seen a movie, and the music sticks in your mind for years?

Years ago, when I saw the second Pokemon movie, the one with Lugia, I really liked the Song of Lugia that was played at the end when everything was being renewed. For some reason, that tune stuck in my head all this time.

A few weeks ago, I was fooling around with my computer, testing out how I can plug a mono earplug (headphone) into the microphone port and talk into it to record myself with Audacity, a free audio editing program (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). I got my trumpet out and the Song of Lugia came to mind. I played through what I could remember, and then cut out mistakes. I didn’t play it straight through. I played parts individually and then put them all together into the full tune. I added a reverberation effect to smooth it out and to make it sound more epic.

I have the main version and then a version where I overlapped the track with itself, but with the notes stepped down.

Song of Lugia: http://home.pct.edu/~rhijas55/Song_of_Lugia.mp3 (http://home.pct.edu/~rhijas55/Song_of_Lugia.mp3)
Song of Lugia Duo: http://home.pct.edu/~rhijas55/Song_of_Lugia_Duo.mp3 (http://home.pct.edu/~rhijas55/Song_of_Lugia_Duo.mp3)

Have any of you heard the original song in the movie recently? Did I remember the tune right? Even if the tune changed in my mind over time, it was still fun to make those MP3s. Do any of you know where I could hear a recording of the original tune?

Blademaster
14th March 2006, 11:50 AM
(applauds)

Dude, that was awesome! :yes: :dance: :yes: :dance: :yes: :dance: :yes: :dance: :yes: :dance:

That is a very heartfelt/soulful song; the trumpet is a great instrument to play it on.

Very cool.

BTW, I can play the keyboard a little; can you hook me up w/ the melody of that song?

Mega Horny
14th March 2006, 12:01 PM
Well done, one wrong note, but I cant really tell you which one, but you otherwise remembered it well and played it great. The trumpet one was my favorite.

Master Kirby
14th March 2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks Guys! I don't know exactly how to describe why it is that I like that tune. I guess its the epic echoey mysterious feel that it has. I don't know how to play the flute like in the movie, but I agree that the Trumpet is a great instrument to play it.

Blademaster, I wish I could give you the melody of the song. I have searched all over the internet trying to find "Lugia's Song", but I can't find it anywhere. When I did find a MIDI labeled "Lugia's Song", it ended up being an entirely different tune. I just have my memory to go by. I guess If I had the movie I could watch that, but I think the tape I had it on was recorded over.

Maybe of someone reads this, and has a recording, they could post it.

In case you're interested, here are is the recording before the reverberation was added.
http://home.pct.edu/~rhijas55/Song_of_Lugia_Trumpet.mp3

And here is the same recording stepped down so it sounds like a horn.
http://home.pct.edu/~rhijas55/Song_of_Lugia_Horn.mp3

You can see how the reverberation smoothed it out so that the timing sounds better.

Blademaster
14th March 2006, 07:43 PM
I have searched all over the internet trying to find "Lugia's Song", but I can't find it anywhere.

Didn't they play the song again during the closing credits? There were words to it... I've got the movie (I bought it when I was 12 before I get any sarcasm! :mad:); I could check.

Agent Elrond
16th March 2006, 06:57 PM
Ooooooh....

I think this is the single coolest thing to grace the fanart forums in years.

That was really cool, although I haven't watched the movie in years I remember that tune. Oddly, it was one of those tunes I really, really liked, but could never remember properly after (I have the same problem with the Gondor theme from LotR).

Just a quick question: were you using a mute or anything on your trumpet, 'cause it sounded really quiet in the "non echoey" version. Just asking 'cause me mom plays the trumpet and it is loud.

Anyway, that sound really pretty and awesome — great job!

Master Kirby
17th March 2006, 10:51 AM
Blademaster:
Yes, I think the movie ended with the girl playing the song. That was where that circle of columns turned green, and the green warmth spread out across the landscape melting the snow and ice, causing plants to grow as if it was spring. The credits started scrolling while you were watching all this happen.

I'm not going to give you any sarcasm. I recorded the movie off of Cartoon Network during my second year of college in 2004. I was 19. Lots of people watch cartoons when they aren't little kids anymore. You never have to stop liking something just because you grow older. I did, and still do like Lugia.

Agent Elrond:
I'm glad you liked my song. Thats quite a compliment You've given me. I'd say it stands out because not many people post "Sound" art. They are usually drawings and art of that nature.

It has been two years since I last saw the movie, but the Song of Lugia is just one of those tunes that sticks with you. I played the Trumpet in Band during Middle and High School, so that heightened my appreciation of instrumental music. I just liked that tune. I enjoyed the LOTR music too because there were lots of varying types of orchestral, epic sounding, "Adventure" type pieces.

I'll tell you why the Trumpet was real quiet in the "non-echoey" version. Its because I used a headphone to record it.

I didn't have a microphone that I could plug into my computer. The whole reason that I played and recorded this song is because I was doing an experiment. I had heard that if you plugged headphones into your line-in or microphone port, you could talk into the ear-piece, and it would work just like a microphone.

I tried plugging a pair of headphones into my microphone port, but since ot was STEREO (two lines: right & left), the plug didn't go in all the way. My mic port is MONO (meaning one line), so I found one of those in-ear headphones (earphone?) that had only one side.

I plugged the earphone into the mic port, opened Audacity, and tested its recording abilities. I found that I had to turn the Microphone input volume to its max, and enable Mic Boost to amplify the signal to a point where it could be heard. I guess this was because the earphone wasn't built to be used as a microphone, and therefore wasn't as efficient.

You are right, trumpets can be pretty loud. The recording I made was quieter because of how I recorded it. I did a bunch of different things to get my trumpet to record the best, so I'm not sure, but I may have even used Audacity to amplify the sound-wave after it was recorded. If I wanted to spend loads of money, I'm sure I could get equipment that would record and pre-amplify the trumpet so that it recorded perfectly.......but I was just expermenting to see what could be done for free. I could probably get it to record louder if I played real loud, but I was just trying to play clean notes. At the time, it had been a while since I had played last, so my lips weren't warmed yet. You hear this in how the higher notes towards the mid-end weren't played as well; were kind of abrupt-starting. The lower notes such as the ending were much smoother, and flowed better.

Well............That took a while. It was kind of like a how-to explanation on makeshift microphones combined with a self review of my song.

[Edit: making grammer corrections]

Blademaster
17th March 2006, 12:18 PM
The title of the song, I think, is the same as the movie's title: "The Power of One." Now, I just have to find the melody of that song...

(goes off to look)

Mikachu Yukitatsu
18th March 2006, 12:40 AM
Hm, I have the soundtrack CD for the movie. There is the song they play when the harmony is restored and there they call it ''The Legend Comes Life". But that's a full version, which is somewhat different from the one we both can play.

Here's the melody. I hope you can read my handwriting.

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/9081/rukia4kg.jpg

Master Kirby
27th March 2006, 06:22 PM
Mikachu Yukitatsu, thanks for writing that down for me. I'll have to look over it to see how it went. Did you just listen to the tune and write it down, or did you have a piano or something to make sure those where the right notes?

(Is English a secondary language for you? I noticed that you wrote "H" in place of the "C" note, and "h" in place of the "D" notes. Other than that, it looks like the tune would sound right.)

Blademaster
28th March 2006, 12:56 PM
It's that time again!

HAPPY B-DAY, KIRBY!!!

Master Kirby
28th March 2006, 04:30 PM
Wow! I'm getting old. I'm 22 now. I 'm from the original generation of Pokemon, so there are lots of people younger than me.

My Profile says: Date Registered: October 02, 2001, 03:00:00 AM
It seems like I've been here longer than that. I was in 12th grade at that time. I thought I had been around for longer than that. Maybe that date was when this board was first used. I remember we used to use a different board.

Agent Elrond
29th March 2006, 11:43 PM
Happy Birthday Kirby! Although Blademaster, this really isn't the place for exhanging birthday wishes. Perhaps a thread in Misc or through PMs might be better?

Nyah, just a friendly suggestion.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
11th April 2006, 02:25 AM
Mikachu Yukitatsu, thanks for writing that down for me. I'll have to look over it to see how it went. Did you just listen to the tune and write it down, or did you have a piano or something to make sure those where the right notes?

(Is English a secondary language for you? I noticed that you wrote "H" in place of the "C" note, and "h" in place of the "D" notes. Other than that, it looks like the tune would sound right.)

Yep, I listened the song with my music therapist and we had a keyboard to make sure we got the right notes. And English is my second language, I am not sure how the English note system differs from the Finnish one.

Master Kirby
11th April 2006, 01:03 PM
OK, thats what I thought you would have done. Thats pretty neat, being able to speak both Finnish and English. Living in America, I wasn't really taught any other languages until I got to High School.

In English, the musical scale goes up the alphabet from A to G (with sharps and flats).

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E........ continuing

Here are all the notes:

http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html