PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft III Frozen Throne Beta

Zach Starmourn
12th March 2003, 09:59 PM
First off, did anyone else make it? Second, if you did, can you explain how you felt when you saw the e-mail. I'm just curious as to what ran though someone elses mind.

As some of you War3 fans might know, they sent out the second wave of Beta E-mails Monday. Well, I was used to having two new mails in my inbox that I never looked at. But, when I signed on about 11 P.M. last night, I saw that I had three.

My mind was seriously boiling from the excitement. I opened it, and the new e-mail was from a guy called George about a credit chck or something (got sent to me somehow). I deleted it, but noticed the address and header of the second mail on the list.

I couldn't hold back my excitement, so first I went ad told my sister, who is also a WCIII player. Then I went and told my mom, who was hoping I'd get it so I'd have something to do. She was almost as happy as me becaus I couldn't even sit still. I was up running around and checking the download percentage every two minutes.

The 7.18 meg file downloaded pretty swift on my 56k, but then the long part came. There was a 60 mb update for B.Net that I had to download, and then two more smaller ones. I started the large one, and dropped onto the couch where I started watching T.V., and accidentally fell asleep.

the next morning I restarted Warcraft as instructed, and had to download another patch. After every seven percent (seriously, that isn't an estimate), the program would close, and I'd have to restart it. Eventually it finished DLing right before I left for school. I started the second update and went about my day.

It was a long day, waiting to get home to play it, but it was worth all of the trouble. There are a lot o new features, and I'm already getting sick of the 6 or 7 new maps included with it.

Well, that's my story. How about a few more people explain their experience with War3x Beta.

red13n
14th March 2003, 12:25 AM
I have been playing beta for about a week now, constantly. Being on DSL, the downloads were fast. Of course, I didn't make beta, I am just playing my own way. I have spent most of my time Ivory Tower rushing(This is just evil). Other than that, I am quite upset at the recent nerfing of the Crypt Lords impale, but looking forward to the next patch.

LOL. You told your mom about a beta thing. lol. No offense, but thats pretty sad, or something.

Andrew
14th March 2003, 04:31 AM
Ooh, War 3, This game like totally rocks. Go the Undead. "I wanted to start my own cult... So I did!" Sorry. The Frozen Throne looks really spiffy from the Gamespot previews they've shown.

The new heros are as followed right?

UndeadCrypt Lord - A Large Scarab Beetle with no ranged attacks but a real tank.

Night Elves Assassin - A teleporting little minx.

Orcs Troll Witch Doctor Ooh! This guy will like totally rock! Probably my fav new hero. Healing Ward, Polymorph and two other moves that like really rule. It might give me an insentive to play with zee orcs.

HumansBlood Elf - Looks scary. And powerful. Desended from those Elves Evil Arthas "Wipes out" With that Sylvannis Windrunner :(

And some of the new units and shops I'm unsure of. Any info people? And if I have a burnt copy with a crack I can't buy the expansion and install it can I? Or will I have to buy both? But the game looks rather cool. I wanna see Kel-Thuzad again, along with Jaina and the Night Elves. Oh well.

It looks spiffy :D

red13n
15th March 2003, 02:07 AM
Most of those hero names are wrong.

Undead: As you said, Crypt Lord, a tank. Impale, tosses up and drags a target enemy, causing damage. Initially caused a short stun of the enemy, but with the most recent patch only causes damage, which was also lowered. Next ability is the spiked carapace, which adds to his armor and returns a small percentage of melee damage. Final non-ultimate is Carrion Beetle, which causes him to act like a crappy necromancer. Raising a single beetle from a corpse, a weak beetle. Very useless final spell. Autocasts, limit 5. Ultimate is Locust Swarm, which causes a swarm of locusts to appear and attack enemy units. Any damage caused is transfered to the Crypt Lord.

Human: Not called a Blood Elf, but a Blood Mage. The Blood Mage relies heavily on its spells, typically its Flame Strike to deal a decent amount of damage at a fairly large target area. Flame Strike causes a circle of flames to appear in a target, heavily damaging units for the first few seconds, then causing minor damage later. Can be used for annoyance much like the Arch Mages Blizzard(Combined with Blizzard it also combines for some insane damage). Flame Strike initially caused an insane amount of damage over its duration, but it has since been tweaked down quite a bit). Next spell is Banish, which turns the Blood Mage ethereal for a limited time. When ethereal the BM cannot attack, but it can cast spells(Flame Strike most of the time). At higher levels the mana cost is lowered and the duration is raised. Final normal spell is Mana Shield, which allows the BM to be immune to a certain amount of physical damage, or 2 spells. His ultimate spell is the Mark of Fire, which transforms a friendly unit into a Phoenix, a unit with heavy fast attack power, but it loses a lot of HP rapidly. Priests can be used to keep it alive however, and it has 1250 HP and spell imunity.

Orc: The Shadow Hunter, a weak attacking but useful support unit. Healing Wave is by far his most useful ability, especially late game. It works like Chain Lightning, except for friendly units, bouncing off them healing in its path. Heals 130 at level 1, a decent amount, loses 25% with each jump. Heals 300 at level 3. His second spell is Hex, which is essentially polymorph, transforming a unit into a creature for a short period of time. The creature of course can't attack, and this spell works on heroes. Works for 15 secs, but I believe that duration is shorter for heroes. His next spell is the Serpent Ward, which essentially creates a mini-tower at a location. Its very small, and only has 135 HP and causes 11-13 damage at level 1, but that small amount of damage can really give you an edge in a battle. Not to mention it has a short cooldown, so getting a few of these is very possible. Now, his final spell is evilest of them all. Big Bad Voodoo causes all friendly units around the hero to be invulnerable for 30 seconds. The Shadow Hunter is the only unit not effected by the spell, so having some meat shielding is recommended(especially since the shields wont be able to die). Its very deadly, and essentially game over in some situations. Of course, if not level 6, the Shadow Hunter lives on Healing Wave.

Night Elf: My favorite of the new heroes, the Warden. Essentially an alternative starter hero to the Demon Hunter, with a spell called Fan of Knives, which is in a way a substitute for immolation. Fan of Knives causes the Warden to throw knives at units at a set radius from the Warden. This causes a set amount of damage to the units, with a cap. 120 damage per unit at level 1, with a 630 cap. Great at early annoyance, a decent spell at anytime, even at higher levels. Now, the Wardens next spell is great for annoyance. It is blink, and as mentioned earlier, it allows the Warden to teleport a short distance. Great for killing human and orc peons if they dont have a tower up. Has a short cooldown, and low mana cost, which are both lowered as its level increase. Move into an opponents base, attack the peons, and then blink out when the opponent turns their attention to you. There is also a 4 player map at this time perfect for this spell. I don't particularly recall the name, but its an ice-thingy map, where you can tp from an opponents base to an area where they will have to take a sort of lengthy walk to get to you. This area also contains a fountain of health, so its every harassers dream. Final spell is Shadow Strike, which causes the Warden to toss a Poison Dagger at an enemy, causing a decent amount of damage and then causing a set amount of each second for 15 second. Initial damage and following damage increases as level increases. A decent spell, though probably the least useful of the Wardens spells. The Warden is definitely a great hero. The Warden's ultimate spell is Spirit of Vengeance, which turns friendly corpses into a summoned unit called Spirit of Vengeance. The stats of the unit depend on the number of corpses used.

Anyways, thats all I feel like typing. I could post something on the neutral hero(s), but I am sort of tired(And my initial intention was just to post the names, but meh).

Salvester2
18th March 2003, 08:51 PM
No..I haven't gotten it yet...the GFraizer has not yet confirmed if any more e-mails are coming out..so...it is unknow if I will get one or not.

Sadly...many idiotic newbs got it...stupid newbs...like 3/4 of them do not even have a winning percernt past 50%...jeez...err...

STUPID NEWBS!! *no offence intended..this is jealousy speaking*

Razola
19th March 2003, 10:07 PM
I am sharing a key with a friend.

There is another way to get in the beta...but I will not post it because I think it violates the forum rules.

I find it funny how these forums are about 1000% times politer and better mannered than any Warcraft forum.

Fellipe
20th March 2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Raz

There is another way to get in the beta...but I will not post it because I think it violates the forum rules.

Raz, can you PM to me??? Please...

red13n
23rd March 2003, 02:11 AM
Wow. The new patch, 3.04, pretty much completely overhauls the entire game. Forget what counters what, cause that is somewhat different. In the early stages of TFT beta, tier 1 was almost unaccounted for, really really sucking. But in this new patch, from what I have seen in the few games I have played, tier 1 dominates. Its pretty imbalanced though, and much of it really needs some work. Particularly the fact that hippogryphs have no business having heavy armor. Oh, and guard towers have no business having light armor.