PDA

View Full Version : Random Rant...I'm getting too old...(try not to get too offended)

Dark Dragonite
27th March 2006, 03:24 PM
I'm probably a hypocrite for saying this, cause I used to dye my hair red, green, pink, purple, blue, black, and bleach blonde...used to have my labret pierced with a big spike, my lip pierced, my eyebrow pierced, 4 ear piercings, and I have 3 tattoos, they don't go away, everything else did, but, I feel some teens have no reason to "rebel" if that's what they're doing, it isn't to make them different, too many people are doing it, it's a fad, and let's face it, to get a good job, as in one that will pay well(I should say career), you can't have any of this, it doesn't appeal to employers or customers(most of the time).

While I'm on this tangent, I have to say drugs, and alcohol consumption(to get drunk) is something I nolonger do, possibly because of the ulcer, kidney stones(2001 and 2005), or just growing up, I don't see a point, why is this the favorite passtime? Yes, I'll drink wine, champagne, or saki as a toast, never to get drunk, forget my problems, etc...I've damaged enough brain cells, now I need to use them, and get myself to a comfortable life.

(/rant)

Gengachu
27th March 2006, 10:50 PM
Yeah, most kids doing that sort of thing are just rebels without a cause. Honestly, it just has a lot to do with kids wanting to fit in. They might say they want to be different, but ultimately everyone wants to fit in with someone. People see the punk-rock image as a way of fitting in but being different. They're still conforming, but that way it's easier to convince themselves that they aren't. Just being yourself is the best way to not conform, though. I've learned this time and time again, and people usually like you better when you do that, too.

mr_pikachu
28th March 2006, 12:17 AM
You know, the ironic thing to me is that it seems like the teens who really do have some tragic circumstance that might spur them into rebellion are never the ones end up being involved with the "rebel" fads.

Alucard
28th March 2006, 04:00 AM
You can't get a good job? And here's me thinking that Alex from Pimp My Ride with his twin eyebrow piercings, double ear piercings and tripple lip spikes had a good job customizing cars. How foolish of me for thinking that ;x

A buisness would have to say on it's application form "no piercings" otherwise you could sue for discrimination~ ;/

mr_pikachu
28th March 2006, 04:22 AM
Well, people who make it to television shows are always exceptions to the rule. I haven't seen the show myself, to be fair, but it seems to me that anyone who gets on a regular program probably has quite a bit more luck than the rest of us.

And anyone who was crazy enough to sue for that reason would lose for the same reason they didn't get the job. (Besides, I don't think body piercings have been accepted into the law prohibiting discrimination against stuff like gender, race, etc. Just a hunch.)

Magmar
28th March 2006, 06:12 AM
They do say they don't discriminate based on lifestyle. are piercings included in this?

Dark Dragonite
28th March 2006, 06:55 AM
Let's get serious, where do you see those kids, more in fast fod, or crappy retail, any nice establishment, whether they descriminate or not, customers don't all want to see it, I worked at Aid Auto, which none of you know, but it's a small version of like pep boys, just a store, no installation, and they said no piercings.

Alucard
28th March 2006, 08:28 AM
Well, people who make it to television shows are always exceptions to the rule.

and again here's me thinking that the guy actually had a job before the tv program. I must be wrong for thinking "west coast customs" was a real place with real staff who work on a dayly basis. Apparently now it's just a tv program. I wonder if that maks OCCjust a tv program aswell.

Gengachu
28th March 2006, 09:47 AM
Whether you like it or not, you've got to face the facts that a company wants to hire the most appealing for the person for the job. Are they going to choose someone who's well groomed and speaks proper and politely or someone with a mohawk and a nose ring who says dude and other slang all the time? They want someone who the average customer can relate to, so they can feel at home. It's just a qualification they're looking for. Not discrimination. It may not be fair, but you should think about how your appearance comes across to other people. When they see a "punk"(for lack of a better word), they assume that they're lazy and rebellious and not suited for a job, and it doesn't do a thing for their image. It's a business, and if they can get someone else, they shouldn't take the risk. There are some jobs, like an auto place where it's less important, but no matter what the job, you need to look nice.

RedStarWarrior
28th March 2006, 10:32 AM
Perhaps if people weren't close-minded, there wouldn't be a problem with appearance so long as you were clean. I have holes in each ear a little under an inch in diameter and it hasn't affected me at my job. I also had blue hair for the better half of last year with no repercussions. Progressive thinking is what this world needs more of.

Also, I'd like to rant. Everyone, go fuck yourself. Please don't be too offended. :)

Gengachu
28th March 2006, 11:25 AM
Well, yeah, I'm not saying that it's right for people to think like that, but they do. First impressions do make a difference, and appearance is the first impression you get about anyone, for better or worst.

Magmar
28th March 2006, 12:45 PM
My girlfriend (yes, I am back with Ashley! Ohh how the tides change in my life, it's sick, lol) has several piercings in each ear, multicolored hair, a bellybutton ring and an eyebrow piercing and a tattoo of a shamrock. She's also very attractive, professional and has had no trouble getting a job. If you can look good and still express yourself, then most people don't see a problem with it. It's when you're disgusting that the problem arises.

Dark Dragonite
28th March 2006, 12:48 PM
Ok, well, I guess I have to put it this way...
If you want a high paying job, I'm not talking about any retail job, things more like VPs, CEO, jobs I would call Ehite collar, and executive jobs, or even teachers, doctors, lawyers, you just don't see it.

Hatake Kakashi
28th March 2006, 02:46 PM
You can't get a good job? And here's me thinking that Alex from Pimp My Ride with his twin eyebrow piercings, double ear piercings and tripple lip spikes had a good job customizing cars. How foolish of me for thinking that ;x

A buisness would have to say on it's application form "no piercings" otherwise you could sue for discrimination~ ;/

No you can't.

Lifestyles doesn't include piercings. That's body modification. Lifestyle means gay, lesbian, vegan etc.

PNT510
28th March 2006, 04:52 PM
Ok, well, I guess I have to put it this way...
If you want a high paying job, I'm not talking about any retail job, things more like VPs, CEO, jobs I would call Ehite collar, and executive jobs, or even teachers, doctors, lawyers, you just don't see it.

[b]Give it 10 years. These things will chance, as the people who get dye their hair and get facial piercings grow up and move into the work place, things will become more accepted.

Magmar
28th March 2006, 05:38 PM
I got a job working for a day care, by the way, with slightly longer than shoulder-length black hair. :) And the kids and parents all loved me! People are changing. Going beyond the social norm is bringing otherwise marginalized people off the curbs and onto the highway.

Andrew
29th March 2006, 02:53 AM
Piercings and excessive jewellery are food safety hazards. If you are working with food & don't remove it for your shift deserve to be sacked.

Dark Dragonite
29th March 2006, 06:56 AM
Are you comparing day care working, where you see parents for maybe 30mins a day, and the parents are too busy thinking about what they need to do today, otherwise, they wouldn't need day care with a teacher, who, no offense, is more of a professional career...difference being...while you're young, and your parents help out financially, whether it be living with them, food, tuition, bills, whatever, a job you live pay check to pay check for the most part, it's something you'll do for now, a career, however, is a huge responsibility, something you'll be doing for the rest of your life, a very time consuming thing.(And pays a lot better)

Magmar
29th March 2006, 09:58 AM
My entire life story contradicts your point, Dark. I'm going to school for education, and I'm top in my class in education classes. My parents don't help out with anything. In fact, they live over 1,000 miles away. I pay all my own bills, tuition, food etc. Actually, I don't pay much tuition because my parents are destitute, thank you FAFSA... But yes, I do daycare in an after-school program at a private school. I do work three jobs, too. I don't dress in the most expensive clothes (oh if I could afford to BUY clothes, that'd be fabulous) and I don't spend money on much of anything, but I still manage to have a 3.3 GPA and stuff. So you can be punk and still function in society. I can go teach in a public middle school on Fridays wearing a hoodie and chucks, and they don't care as long as I look neat and presentable. If I do my job right and don't dress to distract, then people, at least in Rhode Island, just don't give a damn.

Dark Dragonite
29th March 2006, 10:40 AM
You just admitted, you can't afford to buy expensive clothes, and you work 3 jobs to live the way you do, and trust me, I know of fafsa, it paid for my education too...I never said having holes in you, or dyed hair, or punk clothes stopped you from being intelligent, I said it stopped you from having certain jobs, what job do you have in a middle school?

Razola
31st March 2006, 12:18 AM
Companies have standards. Nobody gives a shit about faceless grunts, so you'll have plenty of people with silly metal sticking out of them in the lower tiers of the business world. Get higher on the ladder, and your appearance matters. A nice, clean and uiniform look is what passes for "professional". I must agree: people with studs in their ears don't just make a suit work.

And what's with this "lifestle" bullshit? You damn well can get rejected for your fucking "lifestyle". I'd be a little concerned if a vegan was working at my slaughterhouse or if a klan member wanted a position in the NAACP. You can't be turned away for stuff that's out of your control: race, skin color, gender, and so forth. Being black is something you're born with, homosexual a genetic disorder, and blah de blah. Shit you can't help and people can't use against you in an interview. Being fat, a racist or copying old people with hair dye is all faaaaaaair game. For some reason religion is protected...which I find silly.

Hatake Kakashi
31st March 2006, 12:33 AM
Religion is protected because all it takes is one fat woman to tell her fat friends that this place hates christians to get the place shut down/boycotted.

It's funny, really. A racist manager/store stays open for ages. But the second religion steps up to the plate? You better make sure you kiss her ass. She's got a Skyfather on her side!