PDA

View Full Version : Some gamecube game opinions.

Andrew
31st March 2006, 04:46 PM
Hay guys, I was considering splurging on some GC games since I've finished my 4 - SSBM, Buffy Chaos Bleeds, Eternal Darkness & Fire Emblem. (All great fun!)

But I was wondering what you all thought about - Battallion Wars
Enter the Matrix (BARGAIN BIN!)
Tales of Symphonia
Soul Callibre 2
I was going to consider Xmen Legends 2 - But my housemate got it on his PS2 so when I had glandular fever I watched him play the entire thing as I spewed a lot. It didn't look that interesting.

PNT510
31st March 2006, 07:54 PM
[b]I'd pass on Battallion Wars, it's just rubish.
Enter the Matrix is a decent action game. Not to good, but not as bad as alot of people claim. If it's really cheap I say go for it.
Tales of Symphonia is my personal favorite game on the gamecube. A good action RPG that didn't get old to me even after playing it about 80 hours or so. The storyline isn't as good as those in the Final Fantasy series, but still better than most games.
Soul Calibur 2 is hands down the best fighting game for gamecube.
X-Men legends is pretty fun if you are a fan of action RPG's or the X-men.

Razola
31st March 2006, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't buy Legends without people to play with.

Battallion Wars has gotten good reviews, but the lack of multiplayer doesn't make me want to get it for fifty bucks.

Andrew
1st April 2006, 03:14 AM
Batallion Wars is more expensive than the gamecube console here... But why is it really so bad? I know I hated the original GBA ones and whatnot.... but this seemed fun and realtime...

Oh, I think I may invest in the Symphonia one though.

Mega Horny
1st April 2006, 05:38 AM
Yea, I heard Symphonia was really good, and I have Soul Calibur. Its really a crappy game thats only fun to beat up your friends with scantly dressed females (and regretably scantly dressed men, pirates, robots and demons as well) but once you get the hang of it its a pretty good way of getting your anger out, but it gets repetitive and boring after about 8 minutes, but is always exciting for the first six. Also, I find it extremely cheap, because really, the only way a battle is decided is speed. My friends have beaten me without playing before by merely choosing talim and pressing A repeatedly. The game takes no sill, only who can press buttons faster. It is very odd and somehwhat amusing though at some points in which an old man shouts, "Namu Namu Namu Namu Namu!" out of nowhere. Also, (loading) when going into battle, somtimes one of the characters mutters, "Ho!" or "Chack!"

Overall, i give it a 5/10.

PNT510
1st April 2006, 01:42 PM
[b]Sounds like you and your friends actually have no clue what you're doing if someone could lose to just the A button. Why didn't think block or use guard impact?

Mega Horny
1st April 2006, 03:07 PM
obviously because we have no idea what we're doing ^^

Andrew
1st April 2006, 05:01 PM
Button mashing is a way of life. That's why I love Marvel Vs Capcom.

Master Chief
1st April 2006, 06:46 PM
Try some racing games. I would suggest F-Zero GX for it's ability to build and customize your own vehicles, and it's Story Mode. Belive me, it's as good as it sounds, because I have it, and I'm having a BLAST!

Gengachu
5th April 2006, 08:07 PM
Soul Calibur 2 is pretty fun.

The rest I have not yet played.

Musourenka
11th April 2006, 10:32 PM
Get Metroid Prime... NOW!

Andrew
13th April 2006, 09:31 PM
FZero I've played nad it's AWFUL. I also really suck at Metriod, I run around screaming like a little girl "OH GOD THINGS ARE COMING AFTER ME OH GOD OH GOD!

I brought Enter the matrix. Not bad. Not good. It was worth 20 dollars.

I can't find Tales of Symphonia anywhere either, seems it's very rare...

youdontknowme
15th April 2006, 04:10 PM
How 'bout some Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes? :)

I want a Gamecube just to be able to play that. :/

Mega Horny
15th April 2006, 05:48 PM
That was an O.K. game, and while some of it was awesome, like Vulcan Raven and Metal Gear Rex, some parts were disappointing like the sniping showdown with wolf and how fricken long it took to get in a single shot and the incredible let-down excuse for a final boss.

Kohdok
25th April 2006, 10:59 AM
Resident Evil REmake. RE at its finest. Player's Choice. If you're rich enough, you could shell out the cash for the RE2 and RE3 ports. RE4 is also good, as is Code Veronica X. The REmake is still the best out of all of those for pure scare-factor. There's a REmake and RE0 combo pack out now, but I'd say just stick to the REmake. RE0 wasn't so good.

Sonic Adventure, Director's Cut. Also Player's Choice. One of the better 3d Sonic games. Lots of different characters each with their own play styles. You'll find some you like and some you hate, but it's still pretty fun.

Megaman X Collection. Need I say more?

Deviou$
2nd June 2006, 01:17 PM
f-zero gx is a decent game. not as good as the early mario karts, but it's challenging and at times creative. i doubt there's a better racing game on the gamecube.

D!
4th June 2006, 07:05 PM
Button mashing is a way of life. That's why I love Marvel Vs Capcom.

Holy smokes, gadget!
That's exactly what I do!
And it works, too!

I'd love to get a gamecube, but I have about $4.60 in total..

I played Luigis Mansion at my friend's house once..
That was cool..

Elec Man EXE
5th June 2006, 04:28 PM
Tales of Symphonia is an awesome game.

X-Men Legends II is quite good if you like action-style games with some RPG aspects (I've seen it compared to Diablo, though I've never played Diablo myself). Plus, X-Men is just cool (and IMO Legends is LOADS better than the games that are the "official" movie games).

Don't know about any of the others you listed, never played them.

Some other ones you might consider are Resident Evil 4 (won a crapload of awards, must be damn good though I'm not a fan of horror games), Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (RPG of Papery goodness and humor), LoZ: The Wind Waker (don't let the graphics deter you, its still a good game).

Saffire Persian
17th June 2006, 11:43 PM
Odd ... Tales of Symphonia shouldn't be that hard to find - everytime I go to K-mart I see it. If you have a Toys 'R us in your area, then go there. They'd have it - and pretty cheaply, too. It's an awesome game. It's the best RPG on the Gamecube (and I kid you not...considering there are like.. three RPGs on the Gamecube. No, wait. four.) If you're interested those are Baten Kaitos, Skies of Arcadia, and Fire Emblem.

I don't count Paper Mario in this for some odd reason, though that's good as well. Baten Kaitos is perfectly playabe...though the VAing through most of it leaves something to be desired. Some is very bad, but I played through t he game without my ears suffering that much. It's fun enough.

Skies of Arcadia, haven't played. Fire Emblem's a good diversion.

The Blue Avenger
18th June 2006, 12:58 AM
Baten Kaitos is perfectly playabe...though the VAing through most of it leaves something to be desired.

BK's VAing is so bad, it's good. I fell off of my bed laughing the first time I heard Kalas say "I'll roll you up!"

Saffire Persian
18th June 2006, 01:19 AM
BK's VAing is so bad, it's good. I fell off of my bed laughing the first time I heard Kalas say "I'll roll you up!"

Oh - the positively worst was one of the old storyteller women. XD... My eeeaars... That and Lyude - good character, horrible VA... 'twas a shame.

Nidoking
18th June 2006, 10:19 AM
Tales of Symphonia is a great game, if a little rough around the edges. I personally thought it started off a little slow, but after that I was addicted. If you can't find it you can always order it online.

I rented Soul Calibur 2 but I didn't play it much... basically I rented it because Link was in it, and I wanted to see what was up with that. I didn't think it was that great of a game... I've heard the PS2 version is better anyway.

The Blue Avenger
18th June 2006, 05:29 PM
That and Lyude - good character, horrible VA... 'twas a shame.

"This is fer you!"

XD

I dunno, I always thought the worst was Xelha's. the voice itself wasn't so bad, but the way the VA portrayed her... ugh.

Saffire Persian
19th June 2006, 11:36 AM
"This is fer you!"

XD

I dunno, I always thought the worst was Xelha's. the voice itself wasn't so bad, but the way the VA portrayed her... ugh.

Ah, almost forgot about her. The VA had potential... but blew it. o.0 The antagonists were the only ones who had really decent VAs. Truthfully, though, Savyna and Gibari were good enough.

The Blue Avenger
19th June 2006, 03:11 PM
I loved Gibari. I wasn't too fond of him as a battler, but he easily had the best delivery of anyone in the game.

"Here's a little gift from me... to YOU!" *WHAM*

Mega Horny
20th June 2006, 08:54 AM
Lol yes. The VA in that game was ridiculous. Folon's was odd, but pretty good when you think about it. The plot got confusing at some points however, due to the character's misleading tones of voice. Gibari was pretty cool, and I liked Mizuti even though he sucked for the first bit, and Savyna was ok, but her attacks were too fast to allow you any tim to think about which card you choose next.

I suggest Resident Evil 4. One of the best games ever, IMO.

Saffire Persian
20th June 2006, 10:17 AM
and I liked Mizuti even though he sucked for the first bit,

I believe Mizuti's a she. :p. But yeah, she was okay. Her voice was "odd" but it fit her. And I liked that song of hers, even though it hurt my ears.

The Blue Avenger
20th June 2006, 12:05 PM
Oh man, Mizuti rocks. I love her finisher attacks, especially Sorceror's Seal.

Elec Man EXE
28th June 2006, 04:56 PM
Savyna was my favorite character for some reason. I guess I just liked the huge combo's she racked up :o

But it was freakin' annoying keeping her battle ready (same with Lyude). Having only 2 elements of opposing types makes it hard to keep up a decent deck...

I forgot all about Skies of Arcadia Legends. That is an AWESOME game. Pirates (FTW!) flying through the air and you get to fight in traditional RPG style AND have ship fights. And their are a good number of battles that are hard as bloody hell too (even though they're optional). 1-2 hit kills to your characters, eep.

Definately pick it up if you like RPGs and you can actually find it.

Why don't you count Paper Mario as an RPG, exactly? Its got all the RPG elements.

Mega Horny
28th June 2006, 05:02 PM
Im sorry to change the topic but GET RESIDENT EVIL 4. Everybody. Seriously. Its the greatest game ive ever played. Ever. You just have to get it. Its been out for a while, so you can buy it for like 20 bucks. It won game of the year too. And in case people like Andrew dont want to get for reasons such as "Ahhhh there are things chasing me!" Dont worry, its not scary, just awesome. Actually, it was pretty creepy when you turned off the freezer to get the infrared scope and one of the bloody hanging corpses woke up and started chasing you. But seriously, get it, its a great game.

Saffire Persian
28th June 2006, 05:05 PM
Well, it does have all the video game elements, I just don't count it as your "traditional" RPG. : / Why exactly I have no idea. I refer to it as an RPG, just not your traditional one. o.0 It's an odd view of mine for some reason. @_@

Andrew
29th June 2006, 11:50 PM
Resident Evil 4 is still 100 dollars here, and we don't get as many releases as the US.

Also, finished Paper Mario in 1 week, not entirely, and it's not entertaining enough to warrant a buy.

Skies of Arcadia, also, not released here :(

Tales of Sympho, MIA.

Saffire Persian
30th June 2006, 12:21 AM
Resident Evil 4 is still 100 dollars here, and we don't get as many releases as the US.

0__0......

That's a heck of a lot for a video game.

Andrew
30th June 2006, 12:45 AM
See why I'm rather picky about games. I like to know I'm buying something decent before I shell out.

Mega Horny
30th June 2006, 09:06 AM
Hmm, but didnt you say you got Ener the Matrix for 20 bucks? I can understand its not a great game and it has a low price, but 100 for RE4??? Up here we get gc games for a top price of 55 smackers. And thats when theyre new.

Saffire Persian
30th June 2006, 11:32 AM
*stares at Mega Horney's avatar*

Disturbed much am I.

See why I'm rather picky about games. I like to know I'm buying something decent before I shell out.

I'd be that way, too. I'd also have a feeling I'd be an Ebay buyer, and hoped the seller would ship stuff to wherever I happened to be living. XD

Crazy
3rd July 2006, 12:05 PM
Well how about Baten Kaitos? I'm only 10 hours in, but I like it so far, and you can get it for about 20 bucks. I did. I'm sure it's better than Enter the Matrix and certainly longer.

Saffire Persian
3rd July 2006, 12:53 PM
Well how about Baten Kaitos? I'm only 10 hours in, but I like it so far, and you can get it for about 20 bucks.

Oh, it was a good game, once you got over the voice acting that made your ears bleeeed. XD

Crazy
3rd July 2006, 03:05 PM
Oh, it was a good game, once you got over the voice acting that made your ears bleeeed. XD

That's true, thankfully you can turn it off. It makes the game much more enjoyable to play without the voices, cause with them, it's hard to take the characters seriously.

Andrew
3rd July 2006, 05:25 PM
That game is at cheapest 84 dollars. :< the card system seems iffy.

Crazy
3rd July 2006, 09:23 PM
84 dollars? WHAT? I was a bit skeptical of the card system myself, but it works quite well. It's an interesting concept that works, or at least I think so.

Mega Horny
4th July 2006, 05:20 AM
Is that because Australia is so cut-offish? As in its an island? Baten Kaitos got boring after a while, but it was pretty good and contained at least 50 hours of gameplay. And no, i didn't beat it, i got to the part at the end with Che and stopped.