PDA

View Full Version : Do You Like David Bowie?

Gengachu
31st March 2006, 05:01 PM
Well, do you?

I think he's brilliant. Every album sounds different, but almost all of them are great. He started out doing folk music on his two self-titled albums(the second one usually referred to as Space Oddity), but after that he was totally unpredictable. My favorites are Outside and Scary Monsters. Outside is a concept album and sometimes referred to as his industrial album. It was a comeback of sorts, as he hadn't made any notable albums in almost 15 years, but it's become my favorite album of his. People criticize it because their are little intermission spoken word songs, but I think they judge add to the album's atmosphere. Scary Monsters was his only great album of the 80s, and the three song run of Scary Monsters-Ashes to Ashes-Fashion is one of the best ever. If you haven't heard his music, I'd recommend Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust. Hunky Dory is piano-based and beautiful, and I'm sure you've heard the song Changes before. Ziggy Stardust was his next album and sounded totally different. It's called a glam rock album, but don't let that scare you from listening. If you like classic rock, it's your best bet. Best of Bowie (2 Disc version) is the best place to start if you're unsure what you like. Something for everyone on there, and his singles have usually been pretty great.

What say you guys?

Oh, and Labyrinth is a very bad ass movie. His songs on the soundtrack are good, too.

Edit: Oops, wrong forum. Can a mod move this or something?

Sceptile_Master
31st March 2006, 05:09 PM
David Bowie is an absolute legend. How can you not like him? Although he did go crap when he started going techno grr.

Drago
31st March 2006, 06:16 PM
Phew, for a minute there I was worried you weren't going to bring up the Labyrinth and I was gonna go off-track. All the same, the Labyrinth is just about the bulk of my Bowie experience, and since I've liked that movie from the days of being a wee young'un, it's obviously a positive thing. I never get sick of Dance Magic. :heh:

I also like the Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth duet with Bing Crosby from way back when. Festive stuff.

Gengachu
31st March 2006, 07:06 PM
David Bowie is an absolute legend. How can you not like him? Although he did go crap when he started going techno grr.
I assume you're talking about Earthling. It wasn't that bad. I rather like I'm Afraid of Americans.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
5th April 2006, 05:11 AM
I like some of his older pieces, like Ashes to Ashes but I never got much into his kind of music. He has a very distinctive voice and good lyrics but it never caught on to me. He's never really played on radio stations here either (except China Girl now and then).

What I really dislike about David Bowie are his movies though. I'm sure there are people enjoying Labyrinth but Bowie as goblin king? No thanks from me.

Gengachu
5th April 2006, 07:55 PM
Yeah, Bowie doesn't get much air time here, either. Not much good music does. =\

Systematic Revolution
10th April 2006, 08:10 PM
David Bowie is awesome. Or rather, he used to be awesome. I especially liked the Ziggy Stardust days.

Unfortunately, David Bowie and Elton John both went downhill in the 80s.

Gengachu
14th April 2006, 05:11 PM
David Bowie is awesome. Or rather, he used to be awesome. I especially liked the Ziggy Stardust days.

Unfortunately, David Bowie and Elton John both went downhill in the 80s.
His eighties stuff was kinda mediocre, but he made some good stuff in the nineties. Most of it wasn't as good as his seventies stuff and it's very different, but like I said, Outside is my favorite Bowie album.

Systematic Revolution
23rd April 2006, 07:59 PM
I like his old stuff. The stuff that really rocked.

Pm-5000fan
21st May 2006, 07:48 PM
I agree with systematic Revolution. He used to be cool, but now he is crappy.

Systematic Revolution
25th May 2006, 09:48 PM
It's not so much that he's CRAPPY now... He just doesn't have that edge anymore.

Gengachu
4th June 2006, 10:49 PM
I don't think he was ever as edgy as people give him credit for being. Certainly not in his music or lyrics. He had edge, but that was more his personality and look. He just got older and tamer, and his music's reflected that.