PDA

View Full Version : The RPG Talkback

Roy Karrde
4th April 2006, 07:31 PM
The RPG Talkback

When Tony, Myself, and Kalah, along with several other RPers sat down in a chat a few weeks ago and started discussing the future of the forum, we came up with several ideas. Yet not the whole RPG forum was included mostly becuase of a variety of reasons. Becuase of this, and becuase the RPG Forum has always been a spring of new ideas. I am starting the RPG Forum Talkback.

The Talkback allows people people to share their ideas on future events or to come up with new ideas for new events. Now we do have a future events topic, yet that has mostly become a place that the mods and people already involved with events can come and tell what is happening. This on the otherhand is open to any and all ideas. Please do not flame in this yet you are free to discuss any idea another person has put forth in a respectable manner. Also until Kalah gets up her chat topic in a few weeks, I would like to use this as a way for us mods to ask questions to all the RPGers.

For myself I would like to know what your views are on the idea of closed RPGs, also with Kingdom Hearts 2 and other products about to hit the stores, what are your views on the return of themed RPGs? We havnt had many of those around here recently, should they return or stay in the past? Also would you want more seasonal events? Like the RPG Tournament and Parties?

I'm sure you guys all have different responces to these questions, but also please feel free to voice your opinions on the future of this forum and what you would like to see happen, also what you would like to see in upcoming projects like the RPG Tournament. Anyway I have rambled on long egnough, enjoy!

Hatake Kakashi
4th April 2006, 10:15 PM
Themed RPGs never really died off. The themes just got more and more vague and more "flavor of the month". It's currently "dark/"mature" RPGs".

I think the mods need to take some action. And no I don't mean ban these RPGs, but attempt to start a different type of RPG. If the mood is darker, make some lighthearted RPGs(not necessarily goofy, but maybe more fun than "OH GOD YOU'RE GONNA DIE AND THERE'S BLOOD".) or have a darker RPG without the mature tag(blood doesn't make something dark or cool.)

Weasel Overlord
5th April 2006, 06:16 AM
[color=thistle]It's no mystery that I despise closed RPG's. (I may be in one, but that's not the point...;) )

There's just something about the whole thing that irks me. Maybe it's the fact that only friends get allowed in, whoever else may want to join is completely excluded, and whatnot. Many closed RPG's have I wanted to join, but not being on the darned invitation list has foiled me! ><

Therefore, personally, I think they suck arse. Also, they seem sort of...condescending. Like, only the people deemed good enough by the host may join. Which may already be the situation, but at least a prospective 'joiner' gets the chance to create a character, change their form, whatever.

On the subject of themed RPG's...If ever an FF one springs up, I join it. I cannot resist...^^ Final Fantasy rocks...and I love RPing in the worlds.

The fact that themed RPG's only appeal to those who are aware of the theme, and what it is based on, is a somewhat negative aspect, however. Like Closed RPG's, these are mostly only available to those who have prior knowledge of the basis for the plot. (Though I proved that you don't need to have watched Mai HiME to join OaFT! ^^)

This can probably be overlooked though, by taking into account popular themes that have often been used. Harry Potter, for example. I am sure that many RPers know about HP, maybe only a little, but still enough to participate in an RPG based on it. Themed ones do tend to be based on an idea or program that seems to be popular at that time.
People have cited the pokemon RPG's in the past as examples, and personally, I would like to join a pokemon RPG, maybe even start one myself! ^^ keep watch people, I may do it one day)
Along with my desire to start a Final Fantasy RPG. Though it would probably have to be based on one of the worlds, the whole FF one has been done many times before.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is this; Why don't we bring back some retro ideas for RPG's!? Pokemon ones! I wasn't here when they were everywhere, the same goes for many people I expect. All it needs is an original (ish) storyline, etc.

In short...I say, BRING BACK THEMED RPG'S!

Mystic_clown
5th April 2006, 06:35 AM
I agree with Weasel here. I kinda dislike Closed RPGs since it makes everyone who's not invited feel sorta left out (and they're normally so good too). I like the themed RPGs as well. Many of the earlier RPGs I joined were themed, even if I had no idea what the theme was. Although, as Hatake said, it does get kind of annoying if the theme completely dominates the RPG forums. I (and most likely many others as well) enjoy a little variety when it comes to RPGs.

As for the seasonal events, keep them. They're one of the many things I look forward too in the forums.

Hmm, speaking of KHII, when was the last time someone did a KH themed RPG? one of my fondest memories was participating in one of those (anyone who can guess it gets a cookie ^_^).

Bulbasaur4
5th April 2006, 09:31 AM
[color=royalblue]
Like I said before, if the forum is leaning towards a certain genre... then that means the main demand for the forum IS that genre. Thus it would be the most popular choice because people want to RP that type. However, I do believe that we could use a good dose of variety.
Oh, and i'm just posting to show that I'm active. I'm so sick it isn't funny... but Matt loaned me his laptop for while he's at class, so a post and PM replies were in order.

I actually am planning on starting an RPG once I've finished a few other things and I was debating between two RPGs. One was going to be a slightly vampiric/fallen rip... while the other was going to be more of a Zelda-rip, without the common Zelda elements. However, since I do have KH2 (although I can't play it due to headache... :P) and love that... I would be more than willing to start a KH2 themed RPG in a few weeks if others would like one. I'm sure I could whip up something interesting... *goes off to ponder*

kalad1
5th April 2006, 09:45 AM
Well, Closed RPGs have pros and cons,for one, you can bring in people who are likely to keep on trucking till it's done. On the other hand, it IS a bit... descriminating. I propose a new form, "Exclusive" RPGs with a limited number of "free" sign-ups, and "Exclusive" sign up slots for people the maker invites in. This ought to balance the pros and cons a bit better, and possibly allow for some fun suprises.

As to themed RPGs, I state that they are inevitable, but not always a bad thing. I mean, we've had some good Digimon, Pokemon and other such RPGs in the past, though some themes are very hard to make work, such as Mecha, as well as YGO RPGs. Also, "Mature" in combination with a "Dark" tag isn't always blood and gore, but can denote dealing with issues that are traumatic or otherwise not for the kiddies. For example, something that would be mature and dark could be a female character finding out she's infertile. no blood or gore, but still potentially traumatic and tragic.

Drusilla
5th April 2006, 11:29 AM
blood doesn't make something dark or cool.

No, but it's fun! ^,-,^

Anyway, I think that the board tends to supply itself pretty well; people will create the kind of RPGs that they want to be in. It'd be nice to have some of the older themes show up again... but, all in good time.

Closed RPGs are kind of harsh... I've never been in one, mostly because I always seem to piss people off. What can I say, it's one of my talents...

Hatake Kakashi
6th April 2006, 12:44 AM
No, but it's fun! ^,-,^

Anyway, I think that the board tends to supply itself pretty well; people will create the kind of RPGs that they want to be in. It'd be nice to have some of the older themes show up again... but, all in good time.

Closed RPGs are kind of harsh... I've never been in one, mostly because I always seem to piss people off. What can I say, it's one of my talents...

Doesn't necessarily make you a bad RPer. Or that people don't like you. Simply means that you don't RP in their kind of RPGs much.

I prefer closed RPGs. If I know a person or group of people well, I know I can have fun. Rather than it being a crapshoot as to who'll be there.

Outlaw JT
6th April 2006, 07:21 AM
I have an idea for you. I tried to organize it last year but scheduling at the time proved impossible.

RPG Olympics!!

A multi-board competition featuring several different types of events in many common board activities such as fanfic, RPG, ASB, etc. It was around May or early June when I was working on it with a moderator from another boards RPG forum. We were ready to get both our boards involved and get things started but we wanted at least a couple more boards to participate, like different nations representing in the real Olympics. Ultimately we failed to get any commitments from other prospective boards and it died. Perhaps someone else could give a fresh go at trying to organize this. I still have a brief list of events saved on my computer and if one of our moderators was willing to contact the person I was working with I could provide their AIM via PM. I think he still signs on somewhat regularly with it.

Mystic_clown
6th April 2006, 08:05 AM
I love the idea! I'll try to help any way I can!

Hmm, you put up a good argument hatake, but as the ones who start an RPG, it gives us the power over who to accept and who not to, without having to make it a closed RPG.

Kalah, I have no doubt that you'd be able to come up with something interesting. You have a knack with coming up some pretty interesting and addictive stuff.

Weasel Overlord
6th April 2006, 08:27 AM
[color=thistle]Speaking of ideas and the like...who would like to see an ASB/RPG thread up here somewhere? We're rolling along gently with our ideas, but I know that there are a few people who are somewhat sick of everything being hidden, and behind the scenes as it were.

Therefore, I am proposing to open the ASB/RPG ideas thread, as a place where anyone can give us their imput on what they think would work, existing ideas, etc. I would like to include everyone who's interested! Also, anyone who wants to talk to me about it, just add me on AIM (Astarielle15) or msn (messy_hair_welcome@msn.com) and I'll willingly discuss your ideas with you!

Hatake Kakashi
6th April 2006, 06:35 PM
I love the idea! I'll try to help any way I can!

Hmm, you put up a good argument hatake, but as the ones who start an RPG, it gives us the power over who to accept and who not to, without having to make it a closed RPG.

Kalah, I have no doubt that you'd be able to come up with something interesting. You have a knack with coming up some pretty interesting and addictive stuff.

Closed RPGs give meeker people like Hinata and people with relatively negative reputations like myself the ability to turn people down easily. That way, she doesn't need to confront them and I don't have to look like a jerk ^^;

Krystalline Kabutops
6th April 2006, 07:07 PM
I too think that there's nothing wrong with closed RPGs. There's never a whole lot going at one time, and it usually makes for a longer-lasting, overall better RPG, since the participants know each other. If you feel excluded, go and start your own invite-only RPG :P

Hatake Kakashi
6th April 2006, 08:05 PM
I too think that there's nothing wrong with closed RPGs. There's never a whole lot going at one time, and it usually makes for a longer-lasting, overall better RPG, since the participants know each other. If you feel excluded, go and start your own invite-only RPG :P

"I'm gonna make my OWN Invite Only RPG! With Hookers! And Blackjack! In fact, forget the Black Jack! Ahh screw the whole thing..."

kalad1
6th April 2006, 08:33 PM
As I stated before, there IS the possibility of a middle ground in the closed RPG thing, you know.

Roy Karrde
11th April 2006, 10:16 PM
Alright well I started up the RPG Awards, this time with the possibility of real awards instead of just getting your name posted like all the others. So I wanted to ask, what do you guys think of the RPG Awards? Are the fun? And do you like the idea of actually getting prizes for winning like a trophy to place in your signature or something?

Hatake Kakashi
12th April 2006, 01:45 AM
I hate the awards(as everyone probably knows).

It just promotes the most popular RPG. The only people who win are the ones who fed the current fad the most and gave their RPG the most cliched name (Negative of the Gory. Extra points if you spell magic with a K, use the words "Sin" "Memory" "Death" "Blood" or have "Mature" as a warning.)

Mystic_clown
12th April 2006, 05:17 AM
I'm a bit on the fence when it comes to the RPG awards. It's good to award decent RPers for their work, but it kinda makes a few of us who don't even get nominated feel, well, like we're crap.

Just my honest opinion folks.

Toxicity
12th April 2006, 06:39 AM
I hate the awards(as everyone probably knows).

It just promotes the most popular RPG. The only people who win are the ones who fed the current fad the most and gave their RPG the most cliched name (Negative of the Gory. Extra points if you spell magic with a K, use the words "Sin" "Memory" "Death" "Blood" or have "Mature" as a warning.)

*points to her RPG* Hypocrite. :P

While I do hate the awards for the same reason, I still think that perhaps awards for only being an active member in the community can give users self-confidence. I mean, that's even coming out of the words of somebody who even lacks it in some cases.

-/Deathborn/-
16th April 2006, 05:28 AM
I'd REALLY like to see some sci-fi themed RPG's, like Stargate, Metroid, or even Doctor Who (Dibs on Daleks!). Haven't seen alot of those around lately.

And for the awards, I don't really care. I may vote, but only if I have time.
Closed RPG's, I do understand why they do it sometimes, but when I'm not in it...I feel a bit...erm...not discriminated, just not left out either...dang.

Roy Karrde
5th May 2006, 11:47 PM
Hey! We finally got the RPG Tournament up! Tony and Plantae worked very very hard on it these last few weeks. So I have been wondering, since Classy and I are working on a sequel to PoliHaruko's award winning Digimon Legends series, what does everyone think of making a sequel or a remake of old RPGs? I mean we have had some greats like Pokebabies, and Pokemorphs, and Eeveevolutions. So what does everyone think of remaking some of these ole RPGs?

Ultimate Charizard
7th May 2006, 12:37 AM
Depends really. If they made it through more than 1 verson themselves then maybe but sometimes it just doesnt work right.
Ask anyone that took part in Dragonball VG. That was a great rpg and the Cast members have tried to emulate that in multiple Dragonball rpg's though from my perspective none have had the same feel as the original Creator of VG wasnt involved in them.
Sometimes all you can come up with is an rpg along the same lines, but the only real similarity is the Name.

Hatake Kakashi
7th May 2006, 09:55 PM
Man DBVG was awesome.

Now that we've all matured in writing style, RP skill, etc. it'd be really cool to start up again and all of the old members join. Maybe a "brand new" beginning, so people who joined halfway through(Kalah, Bear) get to be with it from the "start".

As for Eeveelutions, I used to be a bit bitter but I'd actually like to see my first RPG(that I'm happy to admit Kalah adopted) continuing on.

Bear
7th May 2006, 10:25 PM
I second the motion for another Eeveelutions RPG (which was also, coincidentally, my first RPG), and maybe us harassing Nall via email/AIM/MSN/yahoo/phone/snail mail/missile to come back to the boards.

Ultimate Charizard
8th May 2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah Nall complains about us harrassing him but you know he loves the attention.
If he came back and tried to start VG again id go for it. Without him at the helm though it would seem like a poor immitation. No offence to anyone else's DB RPG's but u know what i mean.

Hatake Kakashi
8th May 2006, 03:53 PM
Seeing as how I was in the original(and that's where I met Gav and Rudy, who became two of my closest friends) I definetly know what ya mean, man.

Bulbasaur4
24th May 2006, 10:06 PM
[color=royalblue]
I wouldn't mind restaring the Eeveelutions RPG. ^_^ If you guys want it, I'll start it. I have a great plot that stems from the 9th RPG.

Asilynne
27th May 2006, 01:00 AM
Yeah Nall complains about us harrassing him but you know he loves the attention.
If he came back and tried to start VG again id go for it. Without him at the helm though it would seem like a poor immitation. No offence to anyone else's DB RPG's but u know what i mean.

I kinda like the one thats laying in the RPG graveyard right now, I had so many lovely plans for it ;.; But yes, where is the arseNall?? I miss VG too (it technically was how I met Rudy too even though I wasnt in the original ^v~ LOL)

Bulbasaur4
5th June 2006, 03:38 PM
[color=royalblue]
Okay, this isn't much of an 'idea' for an event as it is an idea for a change in regards to the Archive.

I noticed that pretty much all of the Beta for ASB was moved into the Archive and I have a bit of a problem with that. I don't think that it deserves or should be archived for that matter... because personally I don't see anything note worthy about keeping it. Yes, the ASBRPG forum is a good thing that happened but we have it running and the TRUE form of it is not going to be archived for a long time. I believe that the ASBRPG beta stuff should be deleted from the Archive, or at least all of it but maybe one if we really want to keep anything.

Just an idea...

kawaiispinel
5th June 2006, 04:09 PM
[color=royalblue]
I wouldn't mind restaring the Eeveelutions RPG. ^_^ If you guys want it, I'll start it. I have a great plot that stems from the 9th RPG.

As I said before, I'd be utterly enthralled to have Eeveelutions return! :biggrin: That's the only RPG I can remember clearly that I was deeply involved in here before I went on my five-year hiatus. (*sweatdrop*) I've missed Jiji terribly. He was so much fun to play.

Asilynne
7th June 2006, 02:31 PM
[color=royalblue]
Okay, this isn't much of an 'idea' for an event as it is an idea for a change in regards to the Archive.

I noticed that pretty much all of the Beta for ASB was moved into the Archive and I have a bit of a problem with that. I don't think that it deserves or should be archived for that matter... because personally I don't see anything note worthy about keeping it. Yes, the ASBRPG forum is a good thing that happened but we have it running and the TRUE form of it is not going to be archived for a long time. I believe that the ASBRPG beta stuff should be deleted from the Archive, or at least all of it but maybe one if we really want to keep anything.

Just an idea...

I agree with this all the way, to be honest it was kind of annoying to have all of that stuff on the top and all the RPGs toward the bottom. Granted right now there arent many RPGs in there but when there is those thingsll just be taking up space. I mean, its the RPG archive, for stories not for well whatever you call that lol Im sure there are some interesting things in those topics but lets face it--they arent real RPGs are they?

Roy Karrde
7th June 2006, 02:37 PM
Well the main reason I moved the ASBRPG stuff to the archive was to A: Create Room in the ASBRPG forum. B: Keep people from getting confused with the Beta stuff, and the Full version stuff. and C: So that people could be able to look back at their old character to do their sign up. Now that the full version is completely up and running, I have no problem taking the old version down completely.

Heald
7th June 2006, 02:41 PM
Um, I thought the main reason was for post count, since a lot of us did put effort into helping out in the beta and the least we could have to show for it (apart from our obligatory prizes) is our post count.

Bulbasaur4
7th June 2006, 02:51 PM
[color=royalblue]
No... and if you are worried about a post count, then *sticks out tongue* too bad. lol... besides, if you delete them they will go into the recycle bin anyways and they'll be there for a little while. I'd easily sacrifice my post count to get those things out of our Archive.

Roy Karrde
7th June 2006, 02:52 PM
* Covers Kalah's mouth * She means there is no Recycle Bin...nothing to see here, everyone move along.

Asilynne
7th June 2006, 02:57 PM
I wonder if Dragonball SA is still in the recycle bin.......;.;

Heald
7th June 2006, 03:02 PM
Post counts are a sign of seniority and show we're dedicated members of the forum. If the mods decided saving old polls was a waste of time because no one reads them (and no one does) and wanted to delete them, there'd be a huge public outcry.

Bulbasaur4
8th June 2006, 01:58 AM
[color=royalblue]
I don't care where we put them... hell, we can even put them in the main RPG forum so they'll sink to the bottom or put them in our new RPGASB forum and lock them so they sink down. I just don't want them in that frick'n archive! They don't belong there. The archive is for GOOD and worthy RPGs to be saved... not to put our old crap in there.