PDA

View Full Version : Preview: The Dual Shadows of Time

starjake
11th April 2006, 06:13 PM
Science Fiction.

The term seems to be an oxymoron. After all, science - by its very definition - is the realization and study of facts. Facts and fiction don't get along well; they are polar opposites.

But suppose for a moment that Science Fiction suddenly became Science Fact.

------------------------------------------

"OK, let me get this straight. You're trying to tell me that our world is being taken over by some sort of alien creature that calls itself a Pokémon?"

"Porygon? PORYGON!" I screamed in frustration. Turning to the other occupant of the room, I shouted, "You are wrong, you hear me? There's no one out there whose technological abilities outclass mine to the point where they can control my computer! NO ONE!"

I stared at the spot in the grass where Caterpie and Weedle were blurring in and out of focus, like one of those really old TVs with bad static. They were frozen in their wrestling positions on the ground. And, somehow, I knew exactly what was going on: they were being teleported.

I thought I had known fear. I thought I had been afraid before, but I was wrong. This was fear; fear incarnate. It was right in front of me, smoke boiling out of its powerful jaws, moonlight glinting evilly off its skeletal armor, a violent red glow where its eyes should be. And when it growled, the noise it uttered wasn't even close to a dog's growl. This hound had come straight from the depths of Hell itself.

You think you've known fear? Let me tell you: you haven't. I don't care what you've been through. You have not been through fear until you have been in this situation. You have not known fear until you are scrambling to get up, peeing in your pants, heart pounding through your ribcage, sweat pouring down your face, lungs gasping for air, every fiber of your being doing everything in its power to get up, every brain cell screaming RUN AWAY!

There's a new madman in town. And, like most madmen, he has taken what already exists and twisted it to suit his own purposes. He has taken the PC Pokémon Storage System created by Bill and twisted it, tainited it, manipulated it for his own end. However, he has also (like most madmen) unleashed something he did not anticipate. Something that is more powerful than all his technology. something that cannot be contained in even the legendary Master Ball. Something that cannot even be contained in the universe in which it exists...for it does not exist in the universe. The universe exists in it.

And, of course, when a problem such as this occurs, destiny will call on a hero. However, this problem spans too great for one person to handle alone. So, destiny has chosen four heroes from two different worlds to fight back against this madman and correct the wrong that madman created. All they have are each other, their Pokémon, and an ancient prophesy...

When moonlight outshines noonday sun
And dark deeds done by a goodly one
What once was backwards will turn face
What once was slow becomes fast-paced.

When fire burns the seven seas,
And boulders wear away the breeze,
What once was forward will be reversed;
What once was blessing will be cursed.

Should Darkness take the place of Dawn,
Should Right e'er be displaced by Wrong,
When Certainty becomes Perhaps
The Universe then will collapse.

Coming this summer...

mr_pikachu
11th April 2006, 07:56 PM
Heeeey, it's coming back! I'm glad to see this again. This was a very memorable fic for me, even though you didn't get any further in the plot than the chaos itself before. I'm looking forward to your reworking of the original.

Anyway, it looks good so far. I don't remember the prophesy from your earlier versions; if that's a new addition, then it should help to explain some things. Hopefully this will be successful (and longer than before, heh). :)

EDIT: I have a bad habit of misspelling "chaos"... why do I always switch the two vowels? Rrgh!

Blademaster
13th April 2006, 03:35 PM
Whooooooooo-oooooooooooooooooooooooa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

This looks like it's gonna be a Hell of a story - count me in! :yes:

-Blade